5.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi's breakout?
Published on September 23, 2007 by Olukayode Balogun

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Safe major League Debut
First off, respect where respect is. The music man, otherwise known as Kayode hyped me to this, so much props to you Bro. As most know Ledisi has been in the game for a minute with two previous Cds Soul Singer and the lavish entitled: Feeling Orange But Sometimes Blue: The Jazz Singer Limited Edition] ]
I think this is a good safe major league debut. That whilst it...
Published on November 10, 2007 by Derrick Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi's breakout?, September 23, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to this one by one of my 'Unsung Heroes' of modern soul. Ledisi's last album Soul Singer, was nothing short of a masterpiece if you ask me, and is now difficult (not to mention expensive) to lay hands on by all accounts. My best friend prepared me for this new one though by playing me "Alright", from her MySpace page a month or so ago. I was sold on the album on the strength of that song alone.

The album kicks off with the banging 1min 44sec intro, "Been Here" and it's so good, I so wish they had made it into a full song. The next few tunes are nothing special. They're not bad, just nothing special. "You And Me" sounds like something Angie Stone might have recorded (and that's NOT meant a compliment). As for "Best Friend", I've lost count of the number of times I've heard the I'm-in-love-with-my-best-friend thing done before. I yawned literally, the first time I heard it and it hasn't grown on me yet.

Things finally get cooking with "Alright" though; already a firm favourite of mine on this album and an instant classic in my view. "Think Of You", "Today" (bouncing with positivity, that one), "Get To Know You" (a great late summer nodder), "Upside Down", "In The Morning", "I Tried", and the simple yet beautiful title ballad "Lost & Found" (with an inspired violin solo by Karen Briggs), are all standout tracks. The only problem I have with "We Are One", the duet with Rahsaan Patterson, (look out for his upcoming album Wines & Spirits), was that at 1min 48secs, it was way too short. "The One" falls back into Okay But Nothing Special territory but "Someday" pulls the proceedings right back up to stellar quality. The album closes with the outro version of "Been Here" and once again, this desperately needs to be made into a full-length song somewhere along the line. Maybe if/when Ledisi performs it live?

On balance this is a great set and it should propel Ledisi clear from the underground or 'best kept secret' status right into the mainstream. Verve is a label with a solid reputation so it's fingers crossed. Here's a real singer, doing real music. Great production by the lady herself, alongside Rex Rideout, Luther Hanes, Lorenzo Johnson, Jamey Jaz and Sundra Manning. I really hope this turns out to be the breakout album for Ledisi that it deserves to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Woman Needs To Be Heard, Ya'll!!!! - (SHE IS WORKIN' ME!!), August 28, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
Since "Soulsinger", her first studio project, the Bay Area's own Ledisi has shown up in a variety of different places giving wondrous performances and is already amassing an impressive body of work. Her work on the Luther tribute album, with Miguel Migs in various house mixes, a guest spot with the Braxton Brothers, and a blistering cover of Earth, Wind & Fire's "Devotion" more than made me ready for her next project.

While I agree with the first reviewer that this is by no means her best work to date, I do submit it is a continuation of noteworthy work from an incomparable vocalist and lyricist equally at home with R&B, dance, and smoky jazz (see her second project - simply phenomenal)

Ledisi has already evolved into one of the those artists where it is simply futile to put a finger on "the best this or the best that." She is definitely one where you simply learn to revel in the next level of her aritistry.

This is indeed a lighter set than her introductory one where she tackled such poignant subjects as friendship, domestic abuse, seuxual abuse, and even, yes, snoring (a stitch..)

But there is no mistaking her unbelievable vocal abilities - she simply breathes life into her music and has crafted an individual styling like no other.

While I give this particular project a 4, simply because she does have better work currently out there, as an emerging and important voice, I give Miss Ledisi a resounding TWELVE!!!!

Have already ordered my copy and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.
I hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihgly recommend!!!!!!!

**September 1 - CD arrived!!!! Hearing for the first time on a REAL sound system - I changed my mind!!! BEST WORK TO DATE!!! I AM NOT WELL! - MIss Thang is OFF THE HOOK. Shades of Sarah, Ella, Dinah, and a WHOLE LOTTA LEDISI! - simpy wondrous - excellent artistry!!!!!....oh yeah, (system wouldn't let me change it) FIVE STARS....IN A BIG WAY!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars She will turn you Upside Down..., February 7, 2008
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
Ledisi Anibade Young (known professionally by the moniker Ledisi) is up for 2 Grammys this Sunday; best newcomer, and best R&B album. "Lost and found" is her major label debut (she'd released 2 CDs independently previously) and while fans of those (jazzier) CDs have stated that this isn't quite up to those, it's still a very good CD, far superior to most R&B out today. The mood is mellow and jazzy (some scatting, and jazz piano) with lovely harmonies.

The CD opens with crowd sounds and a soulful intro "Been here", replete with James Brown style yelps. "Joy" is a groovy mid tempo song, "You and me" with its scratchy bass line wouldn't sound out of place on a D'Angelo CD, and scat sprinkled "Best friend" is also nice. More songs along these lines are "Alright", "Get to know you" (with a gently pulsing bass line), the quiet storm feel of "In the morning", the melodramatic piano title track (lovely violin flourishes, and an impassioned vocal delivery), the all too brief "we are one" (with Rahsaan Patterson), and "Someday".

Upping the tempo a wee bit are the piano laced "Think of you" (with scratches, awesome song!), "Today" (with funky horns), "Upside down" (great percussion, some scatting, groovy bass line; another favourite of mine), the more sparse "I tried", and the acoustic "The one" (breezy harmonies). Closing the CD is an outro "Been here", which is a continuation of the intro, with her thanking us for coming (to the show, I guess). The pleasure is all ours Ledisi.

This CD reminds me of "I am" by Chrisette Michele; groovy jazzy soul with a live sound, performed by a superb vocalist.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, July 30, 2008
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
i wasn't crazy about this one when i bought it, so like some others it sat on the shelf. got up to clean one day and popped in and couldn't believe that i slept on this cd. great flow, great sound and great voice. buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars More people don't own this album because...?, June 14, 2008
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
Back in 2002, my brother said that soul songstress Ledisi was one of the most underrated singers in the game. Since I never got around to listening to her work, I couldn't really form an opinion, but now that I've gotten my hands on her latest album Lost & Found, I have to say that he's right.

Honestly, it's hard to pick a favorite song from this album, but right now I think I'll have to go with "Today". There are plenty of other highlights, like "Upside Down" and "You & Me". "Get to Know You" is a cool jam that you could easily chill to at your local Starbucks, and "Alright" is an understatement.

Guest stars are few, but when they arrive, they also excel. I'm not sure who Karen Briggs is, but she helps Ledisi deliver an already wonderful title track. And even though the Rahsaan Patterson duet "We Are One" isn't even two minutes long, it also shines. "In the Morning" is also a good song, although I'm not sure how many people can relate to it.

Speaking of that song, the reason why I only give the album four stars is because Ledisi tends to oversing sometimes, especially on "Best Friend" (kinda reminds me of another song called "Best Friend" by Bilal (and Tweet), who has that same problem). Oh, well; Lost & Found is still a beautiful album, so pick it up.

Anthony Rupert

5.0 out of 5 stars LEDISI CD IS GREAT!, February 23, 2008
Layna Tyus (DETROIT, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
IF YOU LIKE REAL MUSIC, KINDA JAZZY, KINDA SOULFUL THEN THIS ONE'S FOR YOU! IT HAS LOTS OF TRACKS ON IT SO YOU CAN GROOVE FOR A WHILE. CHECK IT OUT. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Yeah!, October 27, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
Fire, Fire, Fire! Ledisi brings it and more in this 14 track (plus the intro and outro) trip that explores love, happiness, and heartache. The first time I heard "In The Morning" coming from my speakers I was floored, but then I heard "Alright" one morning on my drive in to work and I knew I had to cop this CD. Standout tracks include "Joy," "Alright," "Upside Down," "In The Morning," and "I Tried." The title track, "Lost and Found," is just exquisite. It took me a while to actually even get through one listen of the CD because I kept replaying most of the songs. I will say that Ledisi does, in some ways, remind me of Jill Scott, particularly her phrasing, but a comparision to Jill can't be all bad. Got a lil' Chaka in her, too. She's got a new fan in me.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is beautiful, July 3, 2008
Mikeisha Best (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
I was in a store the other day and overheard two women saying that they were going to purchase the new album by Ledisi. I had heard her name a few times and knew she was a R&B singer, but I certainly was not at all familiar with her musical works. Since the two women were raving about her, I decided to take a chance on her, being the music enthusiast that I am. I am pleased with her album as a whole.

What immediately enthralled me was Ledisi's voice. This woman has some pure vocals and she delivers a song nicely. "Lost and Found" is an interpolation of R&B and neo-soul, but it is a wonderful combination. Much of the production is experimental and innovative, but it still contains the simplicity of a typical R&B beat. The production on "Today" is so creative that it helps to bring out the entire album. The song has a very positive message; an excerpt of the hook is "I got a feeling that today will go my way, I got a feeling about today, its my day." For those of you who need reassurance, this is the song for you. "Joy" also has a positive tone. This mid-tempo track is great in every sense of the word. Ledisi is letting her man know that she will make him very happy, and, based on the sincerity in her voice, I believe her. The title track immediately got my attention because of the best thing a singer can do is perform a song with just a piano, and that's what Ledisi did in this song. This song is emotional because of its profound words. She keeps reiterating "please someone find me."

If you do purchase this album, I can assure that you will listen to it more than once. Once you have played it all the way through, you will find yourself thinking of the songs again and going back to your CD player. I am amazed. Join me in my reveling and pick up this wondrous work. Support Ledisi!

Mikeisha's Top 5

1. "Joy"
2. "Best Friend"
3. "Think of You"
4. "Get to Know You"
5. "Lost and Found"

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly talented vocalist!, September 1, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
Ledisi will always get my moolah! Her voice is soooooooooooo rich. We have yet to hear the best from her. I hope she tours and gets promotional backing from her current label. It is time that the masses discover Ledisi. She is a vocalist that can be put in various genres. Jazz/R&B/NeoSoul/Rock. I gave this CD 4 stars because I still like "Soul Singer" more.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Attention America, A Fire Is Blazing That Can't , And Shouldn't Be Put Out!", September 25, 2007
This review is from: Lost & Found (Audio CD)
What if you needed oxygen, and there was one CD that could give it to you? That is how I describe Ledisi's latest venture on "Lost & Found". It is truly on fire! Get this CD with urgency right away, and not bootleg either so this sista' can get her royalties and be around to save us. Don't allow yourself to miss out on one of the best albums of the year. "I Try", "In The Morning", "Alright", and "Lost And Found", are some of my favorite cuts from this album. I saw her perform at The Temple Bar, a platform arena for established and up-and-coming artists, in Los Angeles, CA. This furthered my mesmerization with this balm of soulful delight. If I tell you that you can listen to this CD(in my opinion a creation of art)from start to finish. She has done it once again. I am 28 years old and have resorted to listening to CD's of the 80's and 90's just to get the fulfillment that I desire from soul music. Listening to everyone from The Brand New Heavies, to Will Downing, to Bilal, to Maxwell, to LaToya London just to get a buzz. Ledisi brings it y'all. Look for her on tour soon hopefully in a city near you. But until then, look for her performance on TV One's new show, "Baisden After Dark", with Michael Baisden premiering in October 2007 to calm our senses until then. Ledisi, keep on doing your thang. We get it girl, we get it!

Lost & Found
Lost & Found by Ledisi (Audio CD - 2007)