Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on May 7, 2007
I hope that Jacqueline Sheehan has LOTS more stories and characters and novels in her. What could have been a mawkish or heavyhanded story about how to survive the death of your husband, was an artful depiction of psychological truths. A variety of parent-child relationships are overlapped and contrasted. While the characters try to manage their feelings and behaviors, the author gives them free reign, leaving room for laughter, tears, romance and shock.

I am philosophically opposed to giving any book 5 stars, but I can find nothing "wrong" with this. I loved the characters and was perfectly happy to stay up til 3 am finding out what happened to them all.

I hope this makes it to the big screen.
55 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2007
Grief comes in many forms and has many obsessions as people [and dogs] work though the loss of loved ones. This very special book tells a story of the helplessness of sorrow, the determination to live with/through it, and the transforming power of living with a broken heart. Broken hearts heal in amazing and simple ways. We don't ever get over the loss of a loved one, but we do manage to get used to it. This is one of those stories. You love the characters, understand them and suffer with them. And then you smile through the tears. This is a consoling and comforting as hugging a big black labrador retriever......
on July 10, 2007
This bittersweet story of a widow coming to grips with her loss and her life is a truly wonderful read. The widow, a psychologist named Rocky, is described as being annoying and blunt, and I did find her behavior and method of dealing with her grief somewhat over the top. Especially for a woman trained as a psychologist. Nevertheless, readers will empathize with Rocky and fall in love with Cooper, the injured black Lab she rescues. I came to respect Rocky for her tenacity and courage, but I absolutely adored Cooper whose loyalty, devotion and intelligence grabbed me firmly by the heart. And I'm not even a dog owner. This is without a doubt the best book I've read in years.
1111 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2007
I am a HUGE animal person and own a black lab, so I was really excited about this book. However, I had a lot of trouble getting into it. I had trouble really identifying with the characters and I thought some parts of the book were just plain weird.

Then, about halfway through the book, it really picked up and I enjoyed it a lot. It became much more of a page-turner after that.

I thought Sheehan's writing was just OK. Nothing spectacular, but it wasn't bad either. Like I said, I had trouble with the characters at first, but eventually fell to love them. And of course, she did a great job making the reader fall in love with the dog. I would like to have read more about the dog and things that he did.

Overall, this was just an average book. I would not necessarily recommend it to someone out of the blue, but I also would not flat-out discourage them from reading it.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2016
I love dogs, so I bought this book expecting it to be a nice kind of syrupy read. Was I ever wrong! This book was ever so much more, and I loved every minute of being wrapped up in this novel. The characters were well developed and beautifully delivered, as descriptive and poignant as poetry.

Anyone who loves reading books with animals playing roles every much as important as those of the human characters would find "Lost and Found" a gem.
on February 5, 2016
Poignant, sad, feel-good, with some suspense. It's not the suspenseful ride I usually go for, but it was a beautiful ride. A journey that opened my mind and made me think and realize how short and sweet life is and how important it is to embrace it and those you love while you can. Before it's too late. Before you find yourself clutching someone's pillow to your nose at 3 o'clock a.m and wishing you'd done things differently.
on January 27, 2016
Really loved all the characters, except one, of course. The island sounds like a wonderful place. Liked the way Rocky influenced Melissa, and the way Tess and Isaiah influenced Rocky. And Lloyd-Cooper is the most wonderful character of all.

The story has good times, sad times, intrigue and a lot of other stuff; it's bound to hold your attention. I recommend it as good reading.
on January 31, 2016
This book tackles many issues with gentleness. The dog and the child are the main characters in this, and both rely on one another after they become bonded. I thought this was a great read. I look forward to reading other books by this author. Reactions by all of the main characters are exactly what would be expected in each of the circumstances.
on June 8, 2008
Rarely do I get so excited over a book that I buy extra copies and pass them out but that was my reaction to "Lost and Found". Author Jacqueline Sheehan wrote a beautiful, sensitive, and insightful book about loss, grief, and letting go. When a psychologist's life is shattered in one moment, she escapes to the solitude of an island off the coast of Maine in a desperate attempt to hide from her pain.

When Rocky (short for Roxanne) takes the job of animal control officer, she gets involved with a lovable dog who begins to melt her frozen heart. Rocky becomes embroiled in a young girl's silent agony, a new friend's personal challenges, and the mystery that could endanger her own life.

I absolutely devoured this book from start to finish. The characters were so real, the writing precise, and the story riveting. In a couple of chapters, Sheehan writes from the dog's perspective, delivering a new insight into the human-canine friendship.

After finishing this book at 2 a.m., I wrote the author and begged her to continue the journey of these characters (and she responded that she is considering it). Then I ordered three more copies to pass along to a dog lover, a mystery fan, and a hopeless romantic. They will each love "Lost and Found" because each will "find" something to make them smile.
on February 17, 2016
Great writing, wonderful story. This is a story of loss, of unconventional healing and stumbling along the way. I enjoyed the launguage, at times almost poetic. I enjoyed the characters, flawed and sometimes crazy. And the author goes just far enough into the possibility of the dog knowing and understanding the connections and what the universe needs from him, without getting completely weird. A very enjoyable and satisfying read.