4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read
Not everything has to be intense....I loved this story, have seen comments that there is too much"magic" in these books....that's why I read, to escape from reality! Loved it as much as every other novel she has written
Published 6 months ago by Nikon

As usual I received this book through the kindness of someone's giveaway in exchange for an honest review. Pursuant to that, my candid opinions follow.

Published 10 months ago by Rob Slaven - slavenrm@gmail. com

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully rendered characters that do pretty much what you expect them to do, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Hardcover)

On the positive side, the author has a delightful sense of place and character. The images she constructs of the "Lost Lake" are idyllic and serene and the sorts of places we'd all like to end up in our old age. She also has a brilliant touch with characters as you find yourself loving her nice characters right away and stirring up a good bit of visceral annoyance at her bad ones. I despised Cricket and Lazlo practically from the first utterance of their names.

To the negative side, despite all her carefully constructed place and person the story is terribly cliche. Within the first 20% or so of the book it's clear exactly what's going to happen and there's not even an iota of drama or doubt about the whole thing. It's rather frustrating as a reader given just how well the characters are put together. Also, the book has this tenuous thread of the supernatural that runs through it which rather breaks continuity. Everything seems realistic enough until there's a blip that doesn't quite fit. Generally speaking I'm OK with the supernatural but the thread of it in this case seemed just a bit too brittle.

In summary, I liked the book but it had its clear disappointments. I'd hoped for something a little less story-book. It certainly doesn't call for car chases and explosions but at least one unexpected twist would have been helpful. It's a good book for a long Saturday afternoon when it's too wet or too cold to be doing anything else more amusing.

PS: This is a negative review. The voting button at the bottom asks whether this review was HELPFUL not whether you agree with it or whether it makes you want to buy the book. If this review contains information you might have cared about before buying the book then please vote Yes. If you decide to vote no please leave me a comment indicating what you would want to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, May 17, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and Magical!, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Audible Audio Edition)
This was my second book by Sarah Allen Addison, as Waking Kate was my first (a novella I would highly recommend as background) for this magical and captivating story of Lost Lake!

I loved the multi-generational tie in between the different ages of the women, all with baggage and a past, making them hide behind others and some which are controlling their lives. They all have given up on their dreams for other people. It takes a little girl, some magical past moments, sacrifice, and facing the truth in order to bring new relationships to fruition. This book will make you smile and cry at the same time.

When Kate and her daughter finds this post card from her great aunt Eby, it comes at just the right time as they journey back to Lost Lake and the magical summers of long ago. Each has a special place in their heart for this Lost Lake Inn quaint property as a developer fights to take it over for new development.

First let me say, the novella pulled me in, the emotional video about this book found on Sarah Allen Addison’s website and her heartfelt story and journey with cancer, as this is her first book since her illness. What an inspiring story and so commend her for her perseverance and the time and thought it took to write this thought provoking, emotionally charged, and fabulous novel.

I have a passion for mountain and lake cabins (as when I travel, I always choose quaint cabins), as they offer privacy, solace, and the magical sounds of nature. I especially love cabins in Georgia and NC, as formerly lived in a log cabin in Big Canoe, GA, and for many years have vacationed at Mitchell Cottages in Highlands, NC, as well as the Old Creek Lodge (unfortunately, it is no longer there as the same developer of Old Edwards Inn and Spa has purchased the land to build new construction which makes us all sad as this property was magical as there and held many memories. This piece of heaven is no longer there.

Sarah thank you once for believing in magic after all you’ve been through in your personal life and for sharing this magic with your readers. We all believe in miracles; however, we sometimes get lost in the process and nice to remind us with friends and family we can survive. I highly recommend, and your hard work has not gone unnoticed. I so look forward to reading more from this author and have already added a number of her older books to my must read list.

PS. I highly recommend the audio version as the narrator, Janet Metzger was ideal for the part as so love her in other books she performs by Sherryl Woods, Patti Callahan Henry, Elin Hilderbrand, Claire Cook, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy sigh, March 16, 2014
Scave31 (Puyallup, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Lake (Kindle Edition)
All of Allen's books leave me with the same feelings...nostalgic, wistful, and happy. Like her other novels, Lost Lake is a little bit magical and full of fun and quirky characters that suck you into the book and make you never want to leave. Their stories span years, and Allen weaves them together seamlessly, with a touch of fantasy to charm you. Once you've experienced a Sarah Addison Allen book, you'll wait very impatiently for the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and heartwarming story full of charm that makes its reading a pleasant experience, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Paperback)
“Lost Lake” by Sarah Addison is new novel from beloved author of women fiction, full of romance, drama and special charm that are all characteristics of her works.

The novel is made from two stories that are intertwined; the main character Kate, a year ago lost her husband and since then she is not able to go over it. For this reason, she is somehow not present enough in life of their daughter Devin who became quite tied to her grandmother, Cricket, Kate’s mother in law.

The other story tells reader about Kate’s great aunt Eby who in the sixties together with the man of her life bought a hotel in Georgia called Lost Lake where they lived happily for many years. When she was 12, Kate spent one wonderful summer there and when in present time she will find a postcard Eby sent her, Kate will decide to go again to Lost Lake with her daughter to might in that way make a change in her life and find comfort.

They two will drive to Lost Lake finding out if her aunt is still renting out cabins; there they will meet all kinds of interesting characters such as local guy who fell in love with Kate when they were both kids, a woman who knows how to seduce men and special cook from France. And Kate will discover that this magical place from her childhood still holds a bit of magic for what is left of her once happy family...

Sarah Addison belongs to the authors whose books are often mockingly called chick lit, although they are often as well read by men that likes drama and romantic plot. “Lost Lake” is one of such novels that have the same features as her earlier novels, therefore not surprising is popularity that novel experienced in the short time since it was released.

What could give the background to the theme she has chosen for her last novel, and probably will not appeal to her fans, is the sad truth that can be found in the novel Acknowledgments where Allen is telling that she was diagnosed with advanced-stage breast cancer in 2011 and has now had two years in remission. Therefore it can be guessed that this is the reason for the presence of such great amount of grief that can be read on its pages.

Addison has the ability to create interesting and amusing characters, the people that we would like to meet more often in our lives, but rarely succeeding. Therefore her novels are somehow comforting, often put a smile on the face of the reader and have that special-something magic that is needed in order to get lost in them.

So if you love this women fiction literature, especially Sarah Addison as a writer, with her last work you can’t miss, rather it seems that making it her writing became somewhat deeper probably due to the personal suffering through which she passed in the meantime. “Lost Lake” in different moments is heartbreaking and heartwarming story, but all the time it is a novel with special charm that makes its reading a pleasant experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mix of fantasy and reality, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely LOVE her writing. She has a very unique style and wonderfully similar undertones throughout all her works. There is always the smallest hint of magic and it's always so delightfully weaved into the story that it makes you a believer. I found myself at work thinking about this book and wanting to read it at every available free moment. It's one of my favorites so far this year.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple story, closed ending., January 30, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Kindle Edition)
This book is an easy, pleasant read however it is not my favorite... I was hoping it would take me away like her other books had, this left me snuggled on my couch verses actually being at Lost Lake with the characters. Simple story with a closed ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in magic?, July 25, 2014
buy it now
Let me start this recommendation by saying that I adore Sarah Addison Allen and think that everyone needs a little SAA in their lives. Every book that Allen pens is a truly magical experience and Lost Lake is no exception. Now I have to tell you, there is a bit of predictability to this book BUT it is the journey you will take to get to the end that is so worth the read. You will forget about that predictability piece — I promise!

In 2011 Allen was shocked to hear that she diagnosed with the advanced stages of breast cancer. In the Acknowledgments of Lost Lake (which I always read first — do you?), Allen speaks about how this life-changing diagnosis did just that — changed her life and she’s in an amazing place right now. With this piece of background information, Lost Lake is, at its heart, a journey to healing and reading it, you will see that it’s Allen’s healing journey. This magical novel deals with overcoming insurmountable obstacles, healing emotional scars and redemption.

Widow Kate and her 8 year old daughter, Devin, need to heal. Kate makes in impromptu decision to take her daughter to the Lost Lake in Suley, Georgia. A place where Kate spent one very unforgettable childhood summer with her family when she was young. It was a place where strangers were family, and where she almost had her first kiss. The multi-generational tie in between the different ages of the women makes Lost Lake. Each character comes with their own baggage and past they are trying to hide. They have all given up on their dreams for other people. All it takes is one little girl, magical past moments, sacrifice, and facing the truth in order to bring new relationships to fruition. Lost Lake will make you smile and cry at the same time.

As with other Allen books there is some magical realism, but that’s what makes her books so unique and Lost Lake is no exception. And honestly, the magic is one of the things that I love about Sarah Addison Allen. She makes us believe. So thank you for once again sharing your magic with us and helping us believe in miracles.

Do you believe?

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Lost Lake (Kindle Edition)
I have always liked Sarah Addison Allen as a weaver of a warm heartfelt story with a touch of magical elements.
Garden Spells was her best work. In a a time where most fiction is depressing and or dysfunctional, it is welcoming to read a good Southern writer of light, easy, enjoyable fiction with a happy ending.
However, I felt in Lost Lake that this book was just a carbon copy of all her previous works
While I enjoy her writing style I am becoming weary of this same pattern of novel and would like to see the author do something fresh and original.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't change your beginning...., February 8, 2014
Magsaxxo (South Plainfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Lake (Hardcover)
Kate Pheris, is a young widow, with an 8 year-old daughter Devin. Kate deeply mourns her husband for a year, going through the motions but not really participating in life. She allows her over bearing mother-in-law, Cricket, to make all the decisions for her and Devin, though she agrees with little Cricket says and does. Kate find an old post card for Lost Lake, soon after she awakens from her funk and decides to make the drive to see her great aunt Eby. She remembers Eby and the lake as one of her happiest memories and wants to share the joy with Devin. She is soon part of the lives of her great-aunt Eby, her very interesting best friend Lisette, and many other eccentric characters who will make you laugh and feel sorrow at the same time. Wes, Kate's childhood friend from her one visit to the lake helps her find the childhood she left behind.

The premise of the book, we can't change our beginning but we can change our end had potential but for me fell short. Writing this review I realized I liked the book more than I thought I did, the characters were multi layered and intriguing, especially, Lisette.

Perhaps the reason it fell somewhat short for me were the mystical references. Though there really was no mystery, I guessed the plot lines, at times I was riveted and couldn't wait to pick up where I left off and at other times I struggled to feel a part of Lost Lake.

A great read for anyone who enjoys a mystical/fantasy thread running through their books, you will not be disappointed. Lost Lake is a mystical place where you can revisit your childhood and change your ending.

Lost Lake
Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen (Hardcover - January 21, 2014)
$25.99 $18.51