1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Martin: his paintings, his writings..., May 28, 2001
This review is from: Lost Legends (Hardcover)
His works of art, shown large on several pages, are sure to engage the imaginations of many, as they did mine.

Besides being wonderstruck by the images themselves, I also wonder about something else:--is it just the eyes and the imagination that Bill Martin's art enthrals? In my own case, they do something more, something much more.

To me they are a call to a world lost, a world longed for, a planet that could yet be. These are places achingly beautiful, landscapes that beckon something profound and lost within us.

Saying merely that they are paintings of imagined landscapes has an ordinary ring to it, and doesn't sound quite right. Paintings of landscapes are commonplace, but even to say that Bill Martin's are outstanding would not be enough.

For me, they were like the return of forgotten dreams; dreams which had given me utter joy and of which I had given up hope of them ever revisiting. Only the vaguest memories have ever come back. Bill Martin captures such vaporous visions and lays them bare and almost tangible. Here are someone's metaphors of realms that lie deep & silent in our psyches, ever beckoning to our raucous everyday selves.

Lost Legends
Lost Legends by Bill Martin (Hardcover - Oct. 1995)
Used & New from: $0.77