5 out of 5 stars
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$24.79 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 12, 2012
Format: Paperback
I love this book. The description of political action in primitive rural Madagascar matches closely political life in the U.S., as in: "The formal political sphere has become a sphere where nothing is supposed to happen...elders deliver speeches with practically nothing in the way of propositional content, full of proverbial wisdom, sentiments which no sane person could possibly disagree with. Nothing is openly debated, nothing decided." As well as being a work of considerable scholarship, this book is funny on almost every page as it is packed with an array of fascinating characters, whom Graeber clearly likes and I do too. I only got this book while I was in line to get a library copy of his book Debt, and I'm glad I did. Graeber is a natural writer, and the more I got into it, the more I wanted to get into it. The characters are quirky and it helps to like quirky to like this book, but also I'm learning a great deal about the mechanisms of politics everywhere.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again