Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

I cannot stop listening to this cd. True, it's not David Gray's most upbeat set of songs, but it is just *so* beautiful.
Like many others, I didn't discover David Gray until DMB introduced me to him. 'White Ladder' was my favorite album last year. I love his electronic-infused folk sound, and admit that I worried that 'Lost Songs' would be too mellow for me.
I shouldn't have worried at all. This album is just breathtaking from start to finish. It's by far my favorite David Gray cd. If you are hesitating over purchasing this because of the time frame of the songs- don't wait to buy it. Ever since it arrived, it's been in my discman non-stop. Yes, it is introspective, and will not make you jump up and down and dance, but it will make you *feel* and isn't that what counts?
on April 24, 2001
I was introduced to David Gray, like many people, through White Ladder. Though I liked White Ladder I was a bit hesitant about picking up Lost Songs, thinking it may be like a collection of B sides.
Nothing could have been further from the truth! Though a fairly short CD, this album is an absolute gem. The sparse acoustic guitar and occasional piano arrangements of these songs only serve to accentuate David's songwriting talent.
If you're not a David Gray fan, you will be after this album. And if you already are, this album will reinforce that feeling.
on April 10, 2003
It's no coincidence David Gray achieved notoriety with White Ladder, and not with any of his previous, sparsely arranged releases. Simple genius is much more difficult to recognize than its skillful application to a sound that fits within the latest music trend (though the price of this success is the genius remains largely unrecognized).
The Lost Songs album illustrates Gray's simple genius most clearly: original, honest lyrics, a masterful vocal delivery, and memorable, complementary melodies. What Gray creates here are songs that sound so natural, so effortless, that the genius in them is like the use of light in a painting: essential, yet unintrusive; very often subtle, yet beautifying every detail it falls on. The result is communication that contains a perfect balance of artistic expression and personal candidness, primarily within the exceedingly difficult medium of the pop love song.
To be sensitive and not overly sentimental, self-revealing and not overly self-indulgent, is a very fine line to walk. Gray does so as if it is a casual stroll through a forest. The very fact that he makes it look so easy is why this album will never be widely recognized as a masterpiece.
on April 23, 2001
I just saw David Gray in concert last weekend and he played a lot of these songs, which I was unfamiliar with. But when I bought this cd, I was amazed. It is so wonderful. As much as I love White Ladder, Lost Songs wins. It's got a smooth, mellow feel that is perfect for any time of day or night. I haven't taken it out of my cd player since I bought it.
on December 3, 2001
My favorite David Gray work is his more stark material found on "As the Century Ends" and found sporadically on his other releases. This wonderful low budget production proves for the umpteenth time that when the songs and performance are strong, "less is more" should be the catch phrase for the arranger.
Half of the songs on here feature Gray by himself. The songs with the backings feature only drums, bass and piano to complement Gray's distinctive guitar stylings. The material is mighty, from the uplifting "Flame Turns Blue" to the pleasingly dissonant "As I'm Leaving" to the harrowing "Falling Down the Mountainside" and "Red Moon." And my favorite, "A Clean Pair of Eyes" reminds me of one of my personal musical heroes--the late lamented Gene Clark.
Another listener called this a "cynical" release. Not a chance--this is the real David Gray without the sweeteners. I'd give it higher marks than "White Ladder."
on May 1, 2002
I love White Ladder, and I have some of David Gray's other older stuff, but Lost Songs is the album I listen to by far the most. Understandably it's his most desperate, but perhaps also his most poignant. "Red Moon" is my favorite track (though it wasn't at first- get to know the lyrics), but the whole album is beautiful, relaxing, and moody... very low-key and really somewhat unassuming/subtle, but not at all ordinary or dull. You'll definitely wonder how you ever lived without this album. David Gray is a genuinely incredible writer, a phenomenon all too uncommon in the industry.
on November 30, 2001
"Lost Songs" is a stunningly mellow compilation of acoustic genius. From start to finish, Gray creates a mood unlike any other available in pop music today. With songs like "January Rain" and "Clean Pair of Eyes," Gray displays a more delecate and elegant side to his music that compliments songs heard on "White Ladder" extremely well. For anyone looking to expand their David Gray collection, "Lost Songs" is the something that you absolutely need. I gaurantee you will listen to this one over and over again and never cease to be amazed with the musical mastery that David Gray displays so consistently.
on May 22, 2001
I'm not sure what it is about David Gray but his music touches my soul. First I got hooked on White Ladder, listening to it constantly in my car, I don't think I took it out of the CD player for at least a month straight. Then I bought Sell, Sell, Sell, it took alittle longer but in time I was hooked again. His lastest album Lost Songs got me immediately from the first listen. It is more acoustical and raw. The lyrics are poetic, both beautiful and moving. And now Lost Songs is the CD that never seems to come out of the player. I highly reccommend it for any David Gray fan or for anyone who enjoys good "chill-out" kind of music about love and life.
on January 8, 2007
It's surprising how well Lost Songs holds up, considering it's less of a planned-out album than a collection of songs written between Sell, Sell, Sell and White Ladder. It sure isn't White Ladder, without those computer-enhanced drums and pop oriented beats, but it also isn't A Century Ends or Flesh--it's folky, but the aggressive, burning fire of those albums has smoldered slowly to resignation on a few tracks and has matured to be expressed more indirectly on others. As it stands, Lost Songs is a pretty minor entry into David Gray's impressive catalog (primarily because of its short length), but by the strength of its songs and performances it holds up quite well as a coherent album and remains a worthwhile, essential listen.

The production on Lost Songs is really stripped down--generally it's just Gray and guitar, with the addition of McClune on drums and background vocals, some bass, and occasionally a piano. This lack of emphasis on production really throws the spotlight on Gray's singing and his songs. For this reason, it's a pretty downbeat affair--most of the songs reflect frustration, heartbreak, and struggle. Gray's trademark voice sounds emotionally invested and torn by the songs he's singing, a certain nakedness he'd never exposed before.

Highlights are the lyrically impressionistic "Flame Turns Blue," the despairing "Hold On," the dark "Falling Down the Mountainside," and the bitterness of "Red Moon." It's a pretty quiet affair, and I've often found it a pretty relaxing album to wind down to, but if you listen to the lyrics there's an intensity that is belied by the mellowness of the music. If you're a recent David Gray fan, this album might take a bit of getting used to, but you'll probably like it eventually since it still contains the heart and soul of what makes his music great whether it's electronica flavored folk pop, or angry folk rock.
on May 26, 2014
For anyone who enjoys David Gray OR British acoustic guitar songs from the 90's, you are gonna like this. It's a great chill mix of D.G. tunes unheard by many, so this album comes as a surprise and treat to most people. I enjoy this album because it's very relaxing (great driving music) and the quality is exceptional (no garage recordings here). Lastly, the songs are very basic for the most part, just David and his guitar with the occassional backing instrumentation (piano, strings). Don't expect pop anthems like on some of his albums; this is toned down and definitive early-days D.G., and therefore not to be missed!