Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 226 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on April 26, 2011
I watched JP trilogy again recently, with a friend that had not seen them or barely remembered since he was too young when they came out. Yes, the first one is a classic, nothing can compare or surpass the awe of the discovery of the park. My friend, who has been to the Orlando Jurassic Park ride many times was saying why they didn't do the ride just like the movie? And that summoned up my own feelings when I say JP for the first time: I wanted it to be REAL. Then it comes JP 2: Lost World, which, yes, the plot is not as good, the effects are better, but to be fair, it is a highly entertaining movie with some genius action sequences. The action scenes in JP series are usually layered: two or more things happen at the same time and there is an element of urgency, a time-clicking bomb alike plot device, and they make you feel like you are watching an accident in slow motion. In JP, examples are the T-Rex appearance, the car in the tree, electric wire climbing... there is always that clicking suspense. In Lost World, we have the trailer scene, which is very effective, it creates tension through motionlessness, you have a person still on a shattering glass, another trying to avoid an object to fall into it. New movies' action sequences are all about blurry, fast, suprising, explosive tricks that are ultimately boring and repetitive, that won't allow you to build suspense, to feel the tension. JP trilogy is filled with good old fashion suspense, every chaotic situation develops in front of your eyes adding layers of tension and builds slowly. In addition to this, all three movies have the signature mix of tension and humor that is typical of Steven Spielberg movies and started with Jaws, the dialog is not 'on the nose', characters don't ask stupid questions so the writer makes extra sure the audience understands issues about the plot, when they are scared they freeze and get quiet, not everything is a complete sentence, people don't say "a T-Rex is coming" but "this is gonna hurt". So, maybe we are being to harsh with the JP sequels and we forget that there are very few new movies today that will leave you wanting for more, that will have action sequences that are actually watchable and not just a blur, movies that create suspense, that use special effects to create a character, not for the sake of special effects only and with a story that will let you day dreaming afterwards.
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2007
So as far as sequels go, this is far from the train-wreck many reviewers make it out to be. Is it as amazing as the original `Jurassic Park'? No, but that doesn't make this a failure of a film. In fact, I happen to much enjoy `The Lost World' and feel that, while it could have been better I can't really find much I dislike about it. There is lots of intense sequences, some stylized deaths and there's that whole `T-Rex gone mad' scene at the end that makes this whole rendezvous worth it. Sure, the plot is a little tired and it's a little ridiculous when you think about it (albeit `Jurassic Park III' is even more ridiculous) but if you just want a good action flick with realistic special effects then `The Lost World: Jurassic Park' will not disappoint.

So we meet up with Ian Malcolm again this time played less annoyingly by Jeff Goldblum (I was not a fan of his character in the first film but here he seems to have gotten a hold of his performance and ironed it out). Ian is still shaken by his encounter with the cold-blooded beasts in the first film, and rightfully so. When he finds out that there is a second island hosting the dinosaurs he is far from interested until he hears that his girlfriend Sarah Harding is already on the island studying the dinosaurs (it's ridiculous to me that she would go there alone...that would NOT happen) and so he immediately gets together a rescue team to travel to the island. Little does he know that he has a stowaway aboard, his daughter Kelly.

The rescue team is thwarted by the efforts of another team sent for an entirely different purpose. This makes big trouble for the group, especially when they take matters into their own hands.

Remember that this is an action film. The story is assumed less important than the graphics and so it does take a backseat unfortunately. The acting is descent for a film of this nature. Like I said, Goldblum ups his game in that he is far less annoying this go around (which is a good thing since he has a much larger role). Julianne Moore can add another film to her résumé she can be ashamed of, but at least her performance isn't horrid. Vince Vaughn to me was a standout, but again, he's been much better in many other films. Vanessa Lee Chester is a descent young actress.

The real actors though are the people in charge of creating the dinosaurs and they do a dynamic job once again. There are a slew of creative action scenes that make up for the lack of depth in the plot. The raptor attack through the field is great, as is their ambush at the communications tower (although the whole acrobatics scene is horrifically stupid). The T-Rex though is champ here for his two main scenes are the best in the film. The whole `trailer over the cliff' scene (which was the best part of the novel by the way) is brilliantly constructed, and the whole `T-Rex loose through the city' scene at the end (which is so `King Kong') is just amazing. They also introduce a new dinosaur this go around, these little devils that hunt in packs.

So, while `The Lost World' is not as well crafted as the original `Jurassic Park' it is still very enjoyable and worth our attention. I'm sure most everyone has seen this movie so I don't think it's a movie you `recommend' as much as discuss. So, for all of you who have your own opinions of this movie, what do you think? Am I right, wrong or somewhere in between?
88 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 1999
The Lost World - Jurassic Park has gotten a lot of criticism since its release. Much of it is justified, but equally as much is based on a very unfair comparison to the blockbuster original. Only a handful of movies can justifiably claim the title of "classic", and none that I know of are sequels.
The biggest problem for The Lost World is that it is impossible to recreate the sense of awe and wonder that was inspired by Jurassic Park's groundbreaking effects work. Instead, too much emphasis was placed on the savagery of the carnivorous dinosaurs and the incredible stupidity of the humans invading their territory.
However, it must be pointed out that the T-Rex's, raptors and other sauripods in this film are equally as impressive as they were in Jurassic Park. There are some very good, shuddery action sequences. When the location shifts to San Diego, there is a good deal of very legitimate comedy. The total absurdity of an Animal Control truck's headlong response to a rampaging Tyrannosaur could only be countered by its equally headlong departure from the area.
No, The Lost World is not as good as Jurassic Park. Yes, it's a little too violent and yes, Jeff Goldblum's moralizing gets to be just about sickening. But for all of these minor distractions, this is a very entertaining movie that is well worth your investment of viewing time and maybe a few dollars. And after all, this time the critters win!
on July 22, 2015
The first first few minutes didn't add up. It said that seven years had passed but the two children, from the first movie, hadn't aged seven years. It might have been more believable if they hadn't indicated that seven years had passed or hadn't shown the kids.
I also watched this with my granddaughter and she caught the seven years thing was not handled properly. However, we still enjoyed watching the movie. That is until the movie started buffering a little more than half-way through.
The service did make it up to us by refunding their fee. This was something they didn't have to do and I never expected them to do it. It did make me feel better about using their service again.
on November 2, 2015
A very good movie, as is the whole series. And hallelujah, there's almost no foul language!! Full of action and suspense from start to finish; the CGI and the camera work are superb. If I have one complaint it is that I had to turn the volume up or down almost constantly to hear the actors speak without being BLASTED out of our seats by the music and SFX. (I have this same peeve in regard to most action films on DVD.)
on July 4, 2015
It was good
review image
on August 4, 2015
Another great Jurassic movie! They just keep getting better. The special effects were awesome and so realistic You feel you are standing next to a dinosaur. I believe there is another one coming out and am looking forward to it!
on September 17, 2015
Good movie but not as great as other other ones in my opinion. Some of the scenes were unlogical which kinda made it funny even though they were meant to be dramatic....but I think that goes for most movies
on June 11, 2013
I have to say, I liked this movie better the second time. I think the first time I saw it I suffered from "it can't be as good as the first" syndrome. It might be offputting for many people that the movie in large part centers on the least likeable (iMO) of the main characters from the first movie, Ian Malcolm. Once you get past that and just enjoy it as a movie in it's own right, there is more action and spectacular effects this time around. The story is a little predictable (arrogant first timers think they have it handled then everything goes haywire and a crucial mistake is made, etc.), but it's well acted. It was interesting to me how good this movie looked. Considering all the technology advances since this was first relased, it is hard to think of many recent movies that LOOK as good as this one. Maybe not as groundbreaking as the first, but still very good.
on September 5, 2015
*I* don't really love this movie, but my son definitely does. He watched it with my brother, who lives on the other side of the country. We set up Facetime and they set up the movie to start at the same time. I'm so glad to have a service like Amazon where we have access to rent SO MANY films for this reason. My son owns this on blu-ray, but my laptop doesn't play it, so he was able to rent it