Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$11.99

on July 22, 2014
Quindlen writes with great skill about her life with word pictures of amusing and touching happenings. I wish had known her when we were both young. It saddens me to see her progress into self-love. The interview with Meryl Streep is a shabby dip into self aggrandizement. I don't much like her now.
on April 27, 2012
The way this book reads, you can't help but fall in love with Anna quindlen,
you love her life...
and you appreciate your OWN even more...
from having Anna's way of looking at things to inspire you to understanding your experience more keenly and acutely, from moment to moment.

I love my life in these last months before I turn 60 on July 30th... And I love Anna for sharing her wonderful self and wisening words...

Reading this book is like the best night with a best girlfriend...being a coupla chicks just sittin' sound talking.

Thank you so much, Anna quindlen. And happy 60th to both of us!
on September 6, 2014
I typically love Ann Quindlen's books. This was another story. I found it to be a long sermon that I quickly tired of hearing. I skipped sections when I got bored. There were some funny and interesting pieces, just not enough.
on June 20, 2012
I loved this book. It is perfect for my age (57). She is at a reflective point in her life and I could so identify with much of her writing, like she was a kindred spirit! I plan to go back and re-read some of the phrases I highlighted on my Kindle, because some things resonated with me so much I don't want to forget them! I have always felt my life enriched when I read a book by Anna Quindlen and I look forward to the next one.
on February 24, 2013
I've always enjoyed her writing but this book spoke to me in every chapter...it was as if Anna had been present during my life.
I recommended it to my book club and it got 100% rave reviews. All of us agreed it would make a wonderful gift to our daughters as the enter middle age. She touches almost every area of an average woman's life with details and observations that bring back memories both good and bad of the years when so much was changing for women in our culture.
It's a book that will sit on my top shelf forever and I'm sure I'll be quoting it and gifting it for years to come.
LOVED IT>
on August 18, 2012
Really good especially for my age group. Lived the exact same life....with some variations. She is so honest and forcoming on all subjects and writes as if we were sitting on the patio or the kitchen table. Love her style and the content was right on! Jan Strong
on July 30, 2012
This was an informative and fun book to read! Since I am only slightly older than the author, I could readily identify with her thoughts about family and marriage and grown children. It is so reassuring to know that you are not alone in this journey and have so many common bonds and shared experiences! I could not put my Kindle down - the book is a fast read. I want to keep reading Quindlen's work!
on June 3, 2012
As someone approaching the age of Ms. Quundlen, I was interested to learn if her thinking on aging was similar to mine. I felt as though u was talking, only in a much more articulate manner. I have a feeling others who read the book may feel similarly and I realized that it is what makes the writing so great. It is written so that people can relate to the story and this, it is extremely interesting. Really an enjoyable read.
"But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things--" -- Titus 2:1-3 (NKJV)

In the past, I've enjoyed the encouragement in Ms. Anna Quindlen's writing. In this case, I was looking instead to gain understanding. Having seen a number of women undergo big psychological changes at around age sixty, I was interested in Ms. Quindlen's experiences and observations. I hoped that I might gain insights into some of what my sixtyish wife is thinking about. I was gratified to find that much illumination was provided. Thank you!

The book also contains (not surprisingly) some stylish writing, a treat regardless of why a reader chooses this book. Here's an example from page one:

"It's odd when I think of the arc of my life, from child to young woman to aging adult. First I was who I was. Then I didn't know who I was. Then I invented someone and became her. Then I began to like what I invented. And finally I was what I was again.

"It turned out I wasn't alone in that particular progression."

These seven sentences made this book a must-read for me.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the themes touched on my life as well, such as her take on having "stuff." "The nicest thing you can say to me bout my home is that it's homey, and people say that all the time. I like it. And at a certain point, I can't say when, I realized I didn't really give a damn about any of it."

Her comments on marriage are especially insightful to husbands. She doesn't find men's non-female qualities nearly as annoying as I would have thought. She also finds things to like: "He holds a grudge against anyone who does me wrong. He may not remember our social schedule or the names of some of our kids' friends, but he never forgets who wrote the bad review of my last book. And woe betide that individual if they ever meet him at a cocktail party. I like that man. Actually, I love that man."

Having watched females enjoy being with each other for many decades, I naturally wondered if the nature and benefits of such company changed with age. Nope!

Her comments on the women's movement and the expectations she grew up with were helpful to me. I know that they are often on my wife's mind, as well.

If there's a disappointment about the book, it will be that much of the content isn't as revealing as it might be, or as comforting as it could be. Stylish writers are good at attracting our attention with one hand while stuffing a rabbit into a hat with the other. This problem could have only been overcome by editing out many of her observations . . . which would have left a slim volume being too thin to be satisfying.

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool Anna Quindlen fan, do read the book. But don't expect to be given as much optimism and comfort as usual.
on June 25, 2015
Great insight into aging - funny and true. Even if you chose not to have children, other insights are relate-able. Had first read it free as an ebook from the library, but decided I wanted a hard copy to keep in my book shelf.