5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Rice
Forbidden Rice is great for raw fooders (who don't mind eating
grains occasionally). You don't have to cook it.
Just soak it overnight or all day before you need it. It becomes
soft, chewy, delicious and is a great accompanyment to raw curries. . .
Published on October 3, 2011 by Paul Klein

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay far far away
If you are hoping for a cheaper, bulk version of Village Harvest Organic Brown Thai Jasmine Rice, 30-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6), this is not it. While better than ordinary brown rice, the fragrance and texture of Village Harvest is far superior and worth the additional cost.

Very sad update (August 20, 2012) (3 stars to 1 star)

We discovered the source...
Published on May 6, 2012 by An Infrequent Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Rice, October 3, 2011
Forbidden Rice is great for raw fooders (who don't mind eating
grains occasionally). You don't have to cook it.
Just soak it overnight or all day before you need it. It becomes
soft, chewy, delicious and is a great accompanyment to raw curries. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent result, aromatic with good texture, November 20, 2011
nonpareil (rural New England, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lotus Foods Heirloom Forbidden Rice, 15-Ounce (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
When considering the greater nutritional value of black rice, along with the great aroma and desired chewiness, this rice seems a good value. Please note it is not sold as organic, if you care about that.

I wanted to discover its basic flavor and confess I cooked it in a variable temperature crockpot with a pork roast. In this case, I rinsed the rice prior to adding it to the roast and liquid, and had salted the water lightly. I noticed even while rinsing it, that it possessed a great aroma, which continued to manifest during the cooking process. And: FLAVOR manifested during the eating process!

You may want to know that the coloring of black rice is so strong that it can and will stain white porcelain-type cooking vessels. Mine are Corning Cookmates and have been used for almost 40 years now (by my father before me) and have acquired a network of fine scratches, so it makes sense that a strong dye can enter. I will eventually bleach out the stain but couldn't get it with baking soda, which is my usual solution. So for this batch I used a slow-cooker with a black ceramic insert; that solved it.

The grains are smaller than I am used to with the Lundberg brand. Thus I had to use a finer-mesh strainer for washing, as too many fell through my regular strainer. No big problem; just thought I'd pass on the info. I also would mention another aspect so you won't be surprised: If a few grains are scattered about, they will look precisely like small mouse turds. This was initially unnerving to me because I've been unable to catch some particularly small rodents (they may be shrews or voles) that are leaving this type of calling card, because they are too light to trip the traps. But they can take the bait just fine. Time for a new kitty. Wuv kitties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rice, nice packaging., September 3, 2011
My family just loves this healthy Forbidden and organic rice. We now eat it 4-5 times weekly and it has become a real staple in our diets. The rice is NOT chewy like brown rice but is just as healthy. It also tastes great! I love it, my wife loves it, the kids even like it. In fact, my 20 month old eats it everyday and loves it! Highly recommended and rest assured the quality from Lotus Foods Organic has been excellent (after at least 5 separate orders of this 11lb bag as well as other packaging from Amazon).

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay far far away, May 6, 2012

Very sad update (August 20, 2012) (3 stars to 1 star)

We discovered the source of the dozens of little brown moths flying all over the house. Unfortunately, they came from this bag of rice, which we didn't realize until we had reached the bottom of the bag. I have had issues like this with brown rice purchased from Asian grocery stores before but not with brown rice from American groceries. Either way, it's not a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for my other brown rice!, November 16, 2010
I make a lot of curry, and had an issue with the typical brown rice flavour totally dominating a dish. I have always been meaning to try Lotus Foods rice, and took the dive and bought (2) 11 lb bags of this Mekong Flower Rice when I saw it go on sale. Boy, I tell you what, the fragrance when those grains cook is very pleasant! The rice is organic, whole grain, and although having a unique and 'lighter' taste, it was well received by my partner and I and we will stick to buying high quality Lotus Foods rices! Truly a treat and Amazon offers some of the best prices I have seen! Not to mention this company is awesome for protecting heirloom varieties of rice, using SRI sytems for rice growing, and giving work to farmers all over with fair pay for their labor.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rice I've ever had!, March 9, 2012
I love Lotus Foods rice! The first one I tried was the organic brown rice & that one was pretty nice for brown rice. Then I read about Forbidden Rice and how it's supposed to be especially good for you, so I looked it up on Amazon and came across this. What a pleasant surprise!! Not only is it much better for you than plain white rice, it has a really nice subtle flavor & the texture is great! I've even converted my only white rice eating husband over to having this whole grain version more often. Healthy, reasonable price, great taste, organic & sustainable farming practices- what more could you want in one package?? Will definitely be a repeat customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gormet quality rice., September 21, 2010
This is easily one of the best rice varieties i have found. The flavor is great and its cooks beautifully. Lends itself to being seasoned in a vast variety of ways, very flexible. Or just by itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent!, September 3, 2011
I read about black (Forbidden) rice a few months ago and decided to try it. After trying several brands I've settled on this as my staple. It is excellent rice! Tastes great and is incredibly healthy. I like it much more than chewy brown rice and the nice thing is it has just as much healthy fiber as brown rice. My family now eats black rice at least 4-5 times a week! It is now a permanent fixture in our diets and have seen consistent quality in the packaging and the rice itself. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rice!, October 8, 2011
I first bought this rice at my local safeway several months ago, and when I tasted it, I pretty much fell in love with it. After I bought it twice from safeway, I decided to order the 6 pack from lotus food, twice! Since I first tasted this rice last spring, I haven't gotten back to eating brown rice since, though I am craving for it now.

The rice takes a little longer to cook than white rice, but not a whole lot. It usually takes only about 30 minutes when I use my rice cooker. Besides the unique nutty taste and color, the earthy smell of the rice that comes out the rice cooker just makes it even more pleasant to experience this rice. Compared to brown and white rice, it's definitely more expensive (3.5 to 8X more), and some may seem it as a "novelty." But like any other rice, it certainly lasts a while when you go bulk with the six pack or 11 or 22 pounds, and it's not so expensive that you would break the bank. I highly recommend everyone to try this rice at least once though just for the experience, and go from them after. And if the studies about this type of rice being arguably the healthiest rice due to having a high amount of antioxidants, perhaps its worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting substantial rice, March 2, 2012
Edane "edane" (Wisconsin, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I just received this so have only made it once, but there is no review here so I thought I'd leave one. First, I always cook rice in the oven where I do not have to worry about it scorching, etc., as on top of the stove. This cooked fine and has more body and substance than is usual in a white rice. More tooth. Personally, I like it, though it is too expensive to replace my other rices on a frequent basis. And I like variety :-) But I will buy it again every few months on into the future. It is somewhat sticky, but that is normal for arborio type rices. It is hard to describe the flavor, and it does actually have flavor which all white rices do not. A soothing wholesome ricey starchiness is the closest I can come. To cook rice in the oven, I use a lidded glass pyrex casserole and cook rice for about 30 minutes at 350F. That is starting in a cold oven. You can vary the temp and time to suit other things in the oven with it. The rice does not seem to care. Can be anything from 250F to 400 F, with the cooking time changing with the temperature. Your oven may vary. :-) Any rice can be cooked this way. Use the same liquid to rice ratio as for stove top cooking.

Rate and Discover Movies