‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Louder Than A Bomb, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
It never opened in more than four theaters, and it didn't receive a whole lot of press, so there's a good chance you never heard of this engrossing documentary. Louder Than A Bomb depicts the journeys of four high school slam poetry teams in the Chicago area as they prepare for the largest youth slam in the world, profiling individual backstories and attempting to capture the creative processes that drive the students. While it's a bit of a niche subject, and while the overarching themes are somewhat familiar, the talent on display and the heartwarming stories portrayed succeed in lifting the spirits so effectively that the film is worth watching. If you're looking for an engaging and inspirational film peppered with charming personalities and stunningly delivered poetry, definitely give Louder Than A Bomb a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars LTAB is an exhilarting event., February 27, 2012
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
I first watched this documentary at Louder Than a Bomb's first event of the festival called Crossing the Street where everyone from various cities to do one thing which is poetry in 2010, where I first started slamming as a poet, and honestly this is the most enthralling documentary. Ever since the first time i participated at LTAB (Louder than a Bomb) i was hooked and I now participate in the college slma. I recommend everyone to watch this film to understand many youth, who love poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire!!!, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
Straight-up fire! This helped ignite my mild obsession with poetry. I've started writing it last year, and one day I hope to be anywhere as good & clever as these guys. Its inspiring and fun. Rea;ly popular with my english classmates, many of whom dont reallly apply themselves in class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me like poetry, August 11, 2013
Suntsu (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
A magical documentary, a moving 100 minutes of a story full of emotion, of people, of words. OF WORDS that make you jump in you chair, leave you with your mouth open, make you clap like you are there, in the crowd.
You realize maybe how many things you have not written in your life!
A must watch really!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my poetry unit, March 24, 2013
Jill (ELMWOOD PARK, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I showed this at the end of my 7th grade poetry unit. Being from the Chicago area, the kids loved it. Well edited, with great performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for all walks of life!, June 28, 2014
I used this documentary to teach my 11th graders about the power of their own voices, and it was a hit! My students have actually been pushing to start a slam team next school year since we watched this in class. I teach in an urban high school filled with kids from all walks of life, and it's really difficult to find something that engages them. LtaB definitely did, and I highly recommend using this to expand student comprehension of modern poetry, slam, and the power behind their own voices.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most inspirational Documentary, May 20, 2014
It was amazing to see how talented these kids are and how they used poetry to express their thoughts emotions on everyday life. They are so passionate about what they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why haven't you watched this?, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
Each year in my English classroom I see eyes roll and hear exasperated gasps from the students when I announce that we will study poetry. Each year, I watch my students become fully engrossed in this film, leaning forward in their seats. As the video ends, they are disappointed, yet they have a little fire in their eyes because they understand so much about what poetry is. I will not lie and say they all become excited about studying and writing poetry, but at the very least, they become open to it.

No one has ever defined poetry in a way that I consider satisfactory, and as I continue my love affair with poetry, I realize that the impossibility of pinning down poetry in a definition may be part of what I love about it. This video is an audio/visual definition of poetry. It shows students that poetry is emotional - from the gut. It guides them into understanding that poems by those they consider boring (Dickinson, Frost, Angelou, Dunbar - just look through any textbook) are just as visceral and make us look at the same old things in a different way.

Each poet highlighted is amazing. You may find you have a favorite, but you will walk away admiring each of these young poets as gifted and honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, Inspiring, Amazing!!!!, April 4, 2014
E. Miranda (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Louder Than a Bomb (DVD)
Excellent documentary that was moving, inspiring, and amazing. I highly recommend this documentary for students in the 7th grade and above. Especially beneficial for students facing tough personal and academic challenges as they may relate with some of the poets. I have watched many of the poems a dozen or so times to each they move me in a different way. Loved this movie!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, February 19, 2014
This is an awesome and powerful movie. It's feel good and inspirational. The pacing of this documentary will keep you glued to the screen. It's also a tear jerker at times, this film deserves more attention, and many of the poets featured in the film deserve more attention. See it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Louder Than a Bomb
Louder Than a Bomb by Jon Siskel (DVD - 2012)
$9.99 $7.99