5.0 out of 5 stars She longed for adventure.
When you're young, it still feels like anything can and might happen to you. Adventures peek out from under the horizon, big and fantastical ones that could make you feel more in control of your own destiny, more seasoned as a person, or like you're having more fun than you would be just sitting at home.

Louise is like that. She's a chicken who wants to...
Published on October 4, 2008 by K. Kim

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great...
I was excited to pick up this book, but ultimately disappointed once I read it. Louise longs for adventure, but lacks character or charisma. She simply picks up and goes, and the story lacks in flow and cohesion, and is very choppy in writing.

Published on October 23, 2010 by Kiko

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars She longed for adventure., October 4, 2008
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)

Louise is like that. She's a chicken who wants to experience "true adventure" and leaves home to discover what it really is. Her adventures are familiar in theory (pirates, the circus, faraway lands) and yet full of the unexpected when actually realized. There are dark moments and funny ones, often on the same page and in both the text and illustrations. The reader is privy to an understated version of the emotions and thoughts that run through Louise's mind as she seeks out "true adventure". Without a lot of exclamation points and hardly any exposition, Louise's story is quietly satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kate DiCamillo Book for Younger Children, October 19, 2008
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
In this book Kate DiCamillo -- Newbery Winner and National Book Award finalist -- joins forces with Harry Bliss -- award winning illustrator of "Diary of a Worm" and the New Yorker magazine-- to produce a lighthearted book about a hen that longs for adventure, and gets it!

Those familiar with Kate DiCamillo know that while her books appear to be fables for young children, that they often have a dark side that makes them better targeted to the middle school and up crowd. With "Louise" however, there was only one grim moment, where a pirate was sucked down into the ocean, and it was handled well enough that I had no problem reading this book to my 6 year old son and his older sister.

As for the message, I would say that there were two. The first is that while adventure is exciting and interesting, that it is equally wonderful to be safe at home with your family and friends. The second message is not going to be something that children as young as mine are going to fully understand: it's the assertion that reading and hearing about an adventure is as good as living it.

4.5 Stars. My children LOVED this book. They thought the story was great, and they howled with laughter at some of Louise' antics; although there are assuredly some references, like the one to Bogart and the African Queen, that only adults will get.

Pam T~
mom and reviewer for BooksforKids-Reviews.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Reading Outloud, January 10, 2009
John Fladd (New Boston, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
We haven't read any of Ms. Dicamillo's other, better-known books yet, but my 4 year old and I love Louise. This is a great book for reading outloud. The pirates, the ring master, the aerialist and the fortune teller all beg to have their own voices, but I was surprised that Louise DEFINITELY had a voice of her own - one I hadn't ever used in a book before.

The Boy has listened to Louise every night for the past week and a half and I still like reading it to him. This is a sterling success for a picture book!

5.0 out of 5 stars WE NEED MORE CHILDREN'S BOOKS OF THIS QUALITY., March 11, 2012
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
This work has been around for about three or so years now. I first read it when it was first published and must tell you that I was completely captivated by every aspect of this work. I have read this book to quite a number of children since the book first hit the stores and have yet to find a kid that did not like the story and the illustrations. This is a wonderful work to start conversations with children. More about that later.

This work is a picture chapter book consisting of four chapters and full page illustrations. Louise is a chicken who has a hankering for adventure; high adventure. Her nice little home on the farm where she has ever thing she needs is getting sort of boring so Louise decides to do something about it and she leaves her henhouse and goes to sea. And adventure she fines!

Louise joins a ship, learns a new language from the sailors, "Blarney? Blarney! and PIRATES!". Yes, Louise is captured by pirates and we have a nice reminisces of an episode in the Hobbit where the three trolls argue over how they are going to cook the dwarfs they have captured. In this case, the pirates argue over fricassee, fried, stewed, dumplings or just cooked, as to what to do with Louise. Lucky for our plucky chicken a storm blows up while the pirates are arguing and she escapes. After several days adrift, Louise returns to her hen house.

But still, she wants more adventure and immediately joins a circus; a traveling circus. The adventures there culminate in our little hen almost being eaten by a Lion so it is back to the hen house for her and the safety of home.

The next chapter involves Louise wondering through a exotic and fabulous bazaar; somewhere in the mid-east we have to assume by the looks of the dress and characters. This is a rather fantasy bazaar and it is difficult to tell just who all the people are. More about that later. After being captured by a mysterious stranger, locked up with a bunch of other chickens, Louise makes another daring escape , travels across deserts, up rivers (If you look closely, our traveling hen is on the "African Queen" with Humphry Bogart at the wheel) and via a hot air balloon. Of course she ends up back at her beloved hen house.

Kate DiCamillo has done a wonderful job with the text and for a children's book, a fascinating job with the plot. Likewise, Harry Bliss has done an outstanding job with the illustrations, mixing action with comedy and surprisingly, serenity. I love this illustrator's use of color and action.

Now I must admit that when I read the reviews on this book I was taken back. It would seem that there are many, many different takes on this particular work. This is good. This is the sign of a well written story; a story children will love...and indeed, they do! There were two or three comments here that somewhat troubled me. The first was that some folks viewed this work as racist due to the bazaar scenes. You know I have been in dozens and dozens of mid-eastern bazaars and to be quite frank, the illustrator has pretty well nailed it. Most of the scenes here I have seen many times for myself. Is my looking at these scenes and remembering them make me a racist? I think not.

The second troubling comment was that this work is somehow "anti-biblical." Will someone please, please, please tell my how this is so? I am curious.

I suppose when all is said and done, anything, and I mean anything, can be seen in a negative and bad light if that is the way a person's mind works....how sad.

You can get a lot of mileage out of this work when reading it to a group of children or doing a one on one read. There is so much happening on each and ever page that it is quite easy to get them (the children) chattering about any and all sorts of things with little prompting on the part of the adult. I like that. Kids are bright and it is amazing what comes out of their mouths.

This is a good children's read and I do very much recommend it.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great..., October 23, 2010
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)

Sadly, Louise's feelings of adventure might actually be described as adrenaline, since she only finds "adventure" when in dangerous situations. In Chapter 2, Louise is tight-rope walking and gets bored, so when the lion gets lose she feels, "Here at last, was true adventure!" Furthermore, in Chapter 3, a dark stranger grabs her by the feet and carries her away (kidnapping her), and she says "Here, at last, was true adventure!" I think this sends a very unnerving message to our children...while we dream of our warm and cozy beds, being dragged off into the night is adventurous! Not my idea of fun or fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray! "Old-Fashioned" Picture Book, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
If only we could have MORE picture books like this one--longer, as in WORDIER, excellently written, with some depth, some meat to them. The plot does not turn on a miniscule incident or problem. There are humorous touches: "Louise heart beat fast within her feathered breast," memorable phrasesL: "the deep and dreamless sleep of the true adventurer." Also, Louise is not transparent; there are plot subtleties, such as Louise's not talking about her adventures to the other chickens, that Dicamillo trusts children to pick up on. There are lots of things to wonder about, lots of "Whys" to ask when finished, so Louise begs to be reread. There is more to this "picture book" than wonderful illustrations (although they are wonderful). I like very much the ending which is gives a well-deserved nod to the creative writers who provide adventure for all of us. My two grandchildren, ages 6 and 3, were entranced. DiCamillo has reached the stage in her career where she can experiment. I hope this "old fashioned" picture book inspires publishers to bring out more of the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the DiCamillo standard., May 12, 2010
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
Kate DiCamillo, Louise: The Adventures of a Chicken (Joanna Cotler Books, 2008)

One of the things about Because of Winn-Dixie that made the book so great, in my eyes, was how well DiCamillo draws characters. I was hoping that gift would bleed over into her writing for the tot set, but such was not to be in Louise. It's amusing enough, to be sure, but shallow. Louise is a chicken who dreams of adventure, and regularly takes off from the farm to get herself involved in various peccadilloes. Comes off more as a shaggy dog joke than anything else, and that's acceptable in a forty-eight page book, but Louise learning from the situations she got herself into and adapting her behavior over the course of the book (which would have turned this from a sitcom into a quest narrative) would have made for another classic DiCamillo release. ***

5.0 out of 5 stars My 5 year old son loves her books, January 13, 2012
We have all of the Mercy Watson books so we decided to get this one to add to our little library. My son loves Louise's adventures. He thinks the book is great and he loves the illustrations. He particularly enjoys her adventure in the circus with the lion. This is a shorter book than her Mercy Watson books but still a nice length for a bedtime story. I would highly recommend all of her books for young children. Happy reading!!

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, true adventure, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
We have chickens. Four to be exact. Their names are Sheila, QT, Ms. Jones and Missy A. They are awesomely fun to watch. We have become a bit chicken obsessed in our family. In addition to watching Hen Cam, we are also starting to borrow books from the library that deal with chickens.

The latest is Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken. This is an AWESOME book. Louise goes on three separate adventures. The first is a pirate adventure complete with shipwreck. In the second, she runs away to the circus. In the third, she visits a foreign land. At last she has found true adventure.

The books are well drawn, cute and if you own chickens, so spot on to their personalities. If you want a fun read and like chickens,get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 29, 2010
This review is from: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken (Hardcover)
This is one of our favorite books! My daughters are 4 and 5 and this is part of their regular rotation. It is a little long, but well-paced and entertaining. At first my extremely sensitive kids (they are afraid of some of the plots on Sesame Street) were afraid of the picture of the drowning pirate. They quickly go over it and now quote the book. It's really funny to hear a 5 year old call someone "my sweet coq a vin"!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken
Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo (Hardcover - September 23, 2008)
$17.99 $14.23