on December 7, 2011
I was not a fan of Sex Therapy in fact I disliked it for the simple fact he had too many rappers on it, used falsetto a lot, album had no feel or flow and it was just not good enough as per Thicke's standard. December 6th Love After War did not drop but emanated. It emanate in the sense that this album flows so well I don't know whether to drink it or put it in an aquarium. Its by far the best Thicke album I've listened to. Evolution of... was my favorite and I used it as the bench mark to rate the albums after. Robin has surpassed Evolution of... by miles with Love after War. Sex therapy must have been a nasty war of ideas because this album is just love and it comes together lovely. Out goes the Christmas music in comes Love after War I see myself playing this until valentines its that good.
I have yet to skip a song on this album as all the songs are magnificent. You could tell Robin wanted to take the throwback route like Rafael Saadiq and R. Kelly but instead he took the Cee-lo route and used an cool updated sound.He has a mix of soul, neo-soul, blues, rnb etc. Having only got the album today I hate to pick a favorite song/songs but so far 'Love After War', 'I Don't Know How It Feels To Be You', 'Never Give Up','Boring' are my favorites. An addendum 'All Tied Up' and the updated version of 'Stupid Things' just made the favorite list that will surely keep growing as this album stays on repeat.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2011
This album is one of the best ones I've ever heard. Robin Thicke has this passion for music that makes it unique. I can't even say I have one favorite song off the album because I love them all! Here is what you can expect.

1. An Angel on Each Arm - It's really catchy and it makes you either want to move or jump while you're listening to it.
2. I'm an Animal - Almost like the last one, it makes you wanna move along to the music, the beats and bass is amazing and the feeling from Thicke's voice is awesome!
3. Never Give Up - A song that is not quite like the previous ones, but is catchy. It sounds a little slower and it reminds me of simpler times.
4. The New Generation - This song is very catchy and the melody is more like a loop but a really good loop
5. Love After War - I must say this is one of my favorites from the album. It sounds like a mix of R&B and latin music. Robin makes you feel what he means in this song.
6. All Tied Up - This one reminds me of a song from the Evolution of Robin Thicke, or at least like it should be part of the previous albums. The good thing is that he has that good, slow, catchy tune that we all love.
7. Pretty Lil' Heart - Working with Lil' Wayne again, they make an amazing duo. Rapping and Singing. Another great song and relaxing.
8. Mission - Thicke's signature singing voice that goes from deep to falsetto is amazing. This song is one that proves it. Also very relaxing.
9. Tears on my Tuxedo - Love the begining intro with the guitar, i'm a guitar player myself, and I love the acoustic sound throughout the entire song.
10. Boring - When you hear this song, you gotta love the way he combine his regular and falsetto voice.
11. Lovely Lady - This song sounds like a nice melody to dance to, again, amazing latin sound. Probably a song you can hear in a fancy restaurant
12. Dangerous - Another one of my favorites, very relaxing with another catchy tune. The acoustic sound makes it sound a little latin again. I love it!
13. Full Time Believer - This song is nice and slow, again, another catchy simple tune. Bass makes this song stand out, another one I love.
14. I Don't Know How It Feels To Be U - Another relaxing song from Robin. One of my favorite ones too. Catchy chorus, and combination of instruments in the back, produces an amazing melody.
15. Cloud 9 - Even though this song is very slow, I love it. It sounds a little between R&B and slow blues. The way he plays with his voice makes it sound very relaxing.
16. Lil' Things - This song is slow, bluish and R&Bish too. It kind of reminds me of the song 2 the Sky because of the way he plays with his voice, but with a different melody
17. What Would I Be? - Amazing song, amazing voice, perfect song to finish the CD. Romantic song too...

I think this is one of the best albums along with The Evolution of Robin Thicke, a must hear, must have album. If you are an R&B listener or a Robin Thicke fan, this is going to be a very enjoyable, album to relax and just listen to. Amazing, Robin Thicke 2 THUMBS UP!!!! There are not enough stars to give to this album for how good it is!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Robin Thicke has been somebody I've kept my eye on since he first emerged sans his first name plus a Jesus-like mame of hair he sadly no longer sports. Name and looks aside this man is a serious multi talent. And his previous three albums before this very easily attest to that. He's one of these people whose music,voice and instrumental style flows very nicely through whatever he does. There's no forced effort to be soulful and funky. He just happens to be both. Following his previous and excellent release Sex Therapy: The Session,much has happened for him. He's now happily married with a son. Now we've heard this story before right? Actor/musician has a family? Either the music is diluted or they start making nothing but kiddie films? Well,not for Robin Thicke it ins't that way. In fact,if anything his new family has been very much his creative muse and inspiration.

On this album it marks a return to his love of 70's Motown style sophistifunk and jazzier styles from the occasionally heavy hip-hop diversions of the previous album. And even there he's expanding. Especially the grand orchestral swells of "I'm An Animal" for example. One of the strongest songs is the sleekly groove "The New Generation" with Robin speaking conscienciously about the young people now on the threshold of a new world intent on not repeating the mistakes of the past. It's pure joy and keeping it real all at once. On bossa nova jazzy fair such as the title song,the soul dripping "Tears On My Tuxedo" as well as straight up epic soul balladry on "I Don't Know How It Feels To Be U","What Would I Be" and the jazzy "Cloud 9" he discusess actual love over sexuality-from the more secure people to those who are the most emotionally needy.

Strong grooves such as "An Angel On Each Arm","Pretty Lil' Heart",the only song here with a (small) nod to hip-hop via a brief appearance by Lil Wayne,"Mission","Boring" and "Dangerous" showcase the man isn't skipping one beat in terms of delivering some of the most thoughtful,genuine and diverse range of soul/funk from a white person since Teena Marie. With a career that with this release is only about five albums old,Thicke shows himself to be a person with a long and influential musical life ahead of him. And he happens to come along at a time where someone like him is really needed. As R&B/soul/funk is beginning to seek a new voice for itself out from under the hip-hop dominion it's been under for the last decade and a half,it might well be artists such as this one who might bring a culturally broader audience,both black and white back to it's more organic musical development. And also allow us to enjoy the grooves as that music moves on too.
on January 9, 2012
As a person who grew up during the era of some of the greatest, and undoubtedly the greatest proliferation, of R&B/soul singers, I could easily place Robin Thicke in that group had he been born 15-20 years earlier. He sings and I say, "Praise the Lawd an' pass the fan! It's get'n HOT in here!" He and his music are, together, a singular sensation.

The quality I've always loved about Robin Thicke is that he's never been afraid to share a part of himself with the listener. Yes, there are others who can say the same, Mary J. Blige immediately comes to mind. However, what makes his music resonate with me is that I can easily imagine him speaking many of his lyrics to his wife, actress Paula Patton, soon to be a name on the tip of many a Hollywood tongue after her performance in the newest Mission Impossible film. The two have known each other since they were teenagers as they spent much of that time in and out of a relationship as they both battled their inner demons and grew into true adulthood, (ie., in their late 20s). This is one Hollywood couple that won't be breaking up anytime soon. The love they share may hit rough patches, but it always points toward true north. If one listens carefully, Thicke makes at least one subtle reference on no less than three CDs about the challenges of being a white man married to a black (actually, she's biracial) woman. On this newest release, it's I Don't Know How It Feels To Be U. He's right. He'll never know what it's like to be a black or biracial person, but he definitely knows what it's like to watch helplessly as his wife, and one day all too soon, their son, is adversely affected by racial bigotry. Yet, he is more than optimistic about the future as he demonstrates with the track The New Generation. He sees the world changing as a new generation begins to realize that race, along with other divisive qualities, are social constructs used to benefit a few. Perhaps he can even make a jaded journalist like me become a little more hopeful if I listen long enough.

Unlike some, I absolutely relished Sex Therapy--so much so that I can't listen to it any more as a single woman. Yes, it is very explicitly sexy, but again, it's obvious he's singing about his relationship with Patton. Nevertheless, that CD could get a mostly lesbian chick like me in deep, deep trouble . . . and it would be worth it! There hasn't been a "baby makin'" track like most of those found on Sex Therapy since Marvin, Teddy and Barry in their heyday. For those too young to know who they are, ask your parents. You might find that's how you were conceived. Now that their mutual project has been produced in the body of their baby, Thicke has gone back to paying homage to his lady. That is as it should be. If anything, he probably loves her more because she gave him a precious son. Damn, that's sexy!

When one looks at Thicke's body of work since The Evolution of Robin Thicke, we've seen his darkness, his insecurities, his hopes, his fears and, most of all, his love. Few artists would be willing to open themselves to such intense scrutiny by the anonymous public, much less music critics. This former boy has the intestinal fortitude of a mature man. He's just the kind of man most women would kill to have, though a reasonable facsimile would do.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2013
To quote one of greatest films of all time, "Coming to America".....that boy can sang!!!! (drop the mic, exit stage left)
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2012
All Tied Up is fiyah! Whenever it's played on the radio, I instantaneously turn up the volume. I ordered the CD for my collection and look forward to playing it all summer long.

Am I crazy or is there someone else singing the chorus ("hook")? It sounds like Michael McDonald from the Doobie Brothers whom I love. Does anyone know?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2012
I hesitated buying this album because I did not fancy his last one but after hearing two songs that I loved I gave it a go and WOW I love it!! The songs are upbeat and slow, sexy and wild, inspirational and cool . . .he added a bit of everything into this album and it was a great idea. I listen to this when I am in the gym and not once do I have to change a song even the slow ones get me going. . . .this is definitely and underrated album. . .is it the best? NO, is it his best? Probably not but if you want REAL music, with real vocals, real passion and music you can chill too all day any day without all this new crazy sound then go for this one!! I love it!!
on February 14, 2012
This is truly a great CD. It's so much better than Sex Therapy. I can listen to it over and over again. Robin is truly talented and has so much soul!
on July 21, 2014
i really wanted to like robin thicke. it seemed like he had a lot of potential in addition to being great eye candy. but the songs on this cd... ugh. sooooooo generic. i didn't think any of the songs were catchy at all. i tried listening to it all the way through 3x but it really was a horrible album. it's kinda funny that he can't decide if he wants to sound like the bee gees or just your average r&b singer. the singing is totally bi-polar. his good looks can't help his mediocre voice and bland music. sorry, robin. not diggin' it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Let it be known. Robin Thicke is the "Ivory King" of R&B. Sure Jon B., Remy Shand, and Jamiroquai are all doing their thing. But with all due respect to those cats, none of them is brining the noise that Robin is. And I dare anybody to argue that point.

Ladies, say hello to the IVORY KING OF R&B!