5.0 out of 5 stars top novella author, November 4, 2004
This review is from: Love And Madness (Paperback)
I saw this book in an independent bookstore. The cover and description looked good so I got it. The story is based on incidents in the troubled marriage of Swedish writer August Strindberg and his wife Siri von Essen. Once I got past the first chapter and the plotting started I knew I would be in for one hell of a delicious read and my instincts were right. This tale really is as dark and disturbing and ugly as a Norse Viking god but you have to find out what will happen next. You just have to. This author writes in such a way that literally every chapter and every page leaves you hanging. But what I like is that there is none of that horror novel bloody gratuitous violence stuff in here. It's more of a mentally disturbing nervous element which I think is much more chilling and effective than any disgusting gruesome scene. For example, there is a prolonged scene of necrophilia (fresh corpse) which I thought was descriptive but tastefully handled. A scene involving child prostitution was equally well-handled. I love this writer's daring. It's as though he believes anything can be written about, anything at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars my thoughts about this bizarre, controversial book, October 22, 2005
This review is from: Love And Madness (Paperback)
[...] This is just my opinion. This is definately the most pessimistic, claustrophobic, and creepy book I've ever read. Yet it's not a gothic novel. This is not a "feel-good" read by any means. People with other tastes will detest it for this alone, if not for the actual writing style, which is minimalistic to an extreme, with its lightning pace, simple straightforward narrative, avoidance of padding and too much details, and bare-bones plotting that gives condensation a new meaning. It's different like this from the average novel out there, yet very organized and controlled. It works. I liked it very much. I really wanted to know what would happen with Karl throughout. If my description of the book appeals to you, try it. But I recommend that people who prefer more flesh on their bone and another literary style should look elsewhere.

Sam Fischer
Jefferson, Missouri

Love And Madness
Love And Madness by David Rehak (Paperback - August 11, 2003)
Used & New from: $234.80