5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read !
Published on February 3, 2011 by Smiley Smile

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, didn't finish it
I liked the first book in the Ladies of Summerhill series, Love on a Dime. It was light, but entertaining and I really liked the character of Lilly. Because of that, when I was offered Love on Assignment for review, I took it, thinking I'd enjoy the story just as much as the first one. I didn't. I couldn't even finish it.

The whole premise for the story just...
Published on January 9, 2011 by Holly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read !, February 3, 2011
Smiley Smile (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Love on Assignment, by Cara Lynn James , is the second book in her Ladies of Summerhill series, set in turn of the century Newport, R. I. . Daniel Wilmont,owner of Summerhill and widower with a 13 year old girl and 10 year boy, is a Theology Professor who writes a controversial column citing Christian values as reasons for giving better wages and working conditions to workers. This angers local businessmen including the editor of a rival newspaper- who orders an ambitious young typist, Charolette Hale, to work undercover as the Professor's governess, in order to unearth negative information and write a story that will discredit the Professor.
The book is the story of the growing relationship between Daniel and Charlotte, as well as Charlotte's growing relationship with God . Her relationship with both causes her great conflict with her conscience concerning her job as a reporter. This conflict provides the central drama of the book.
I greatly enjoyed reading this book. Mrs. James creates vivid characters and tells their story well. I enjoyed the way she portrays the life of Charlotte, Daniel and the children as they become like family. Secondary characters like, the household staff , and Charlotte's Aunt and sister are also well done. Most noteworthy is the portrait of Daniel's , crusty mother- who has no use for Charlotte.As an added bonus for readers of the series' first book, Love On a Dime, Jack and Lily from that book play a role in this story.
I am sure that fans of Love On A Dime will love this book. I know I liked it even better than the first! This is a wonderful read for all lovers of Christian romantic fiction and all others who would like to give this genre a try. I think everyone will find it an interesting and inspiring story of love, faith and forgiveness.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, didn't finish it, January 9, 2011
Holly (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)

The whole premise for the story just didn't sit well with me and it was so completely predictable that there was no enjoyment in reading it. Many stories are predictable, but can still captivate a reader's interest. Here, however, Charlotte wasn't very likeable and I found myself not even caring about her or wanting her to redeem herself. This one wasn't light, it was shallow. I wanted to like it, but finally just had to set it aside. Fans of Cara Lynn James will no doubt love it. Because I liked Love on a Dime so much, I do look forward to the next one in this series, hoping it will be more like the first and not the second.

This is part of a series, but stands alone just fine.

Received from TLC Book Tours and Thomas Nelson Publishers for review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok., January 7, 2011
By Marie Story

I often enjoy historical romance, and that's what I assumed I was getting with this book. The story is set in 1900 Rhode Island. Charlotte Hale, an aspiring reporter is sent to investigate Daniel Wilmont - a professor, and more importantly, a columnist for a local paper. Daniel's column directly attacks many business practices of the day, and the big businessmen aren't happy about it.

Charlotte goes undercover as a nanny for Daniel's children, as she tries to dig up some dirt on him. Instead, she ends up finding God.

It's a sweet story, and mildly amusing, but poorly written. Much of the language - as well as other aspects of the story - don't accurately reflect the time period. This made it hard for me to read. I didn't particularly enjoy this book, I'm sorry to say.

However, it seems that it could be a good book to use with young teenagers, as it does pose some interesting discussion topics on choices, moral standards, and integrity. In this respect, I would recommend it.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Thomas Nelson Publishers through BookSneeze.com - their book review bloggers program. I wasn't required to post a positive review. These are my own opinions on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love on Assignment, January 2, 2011
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)
As soon as I saw that the setting for this book was Newport, Rhode Island in the year 1900 I knew I had to read it and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to do so. Charlotte Hale is working in a newspaper office and aspiring to become a reporter, an unheard of thing for a woman in the early 20th century. Her boss assigns her to her first real job, to find dirt on a local college professor who happens to be a very outspoken Christian. He helps her gain employment in the home of the professor under the guise of being a governess to his two children. Charlotte enters this new employment with deception and finds that one lie leads into another until she is in so deep she doesn't know how she'll get back out.
This book is very well written and engaging, I didn't want to put it down. The characters came to life and I found myself hoping that Charlotte would make the right decisions. I can't wait to read more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the book, April 15, 2014
Very entertaining story that held my interest. As a Rhode Islander, I particularly enjoyed the setting - Newport, RI, in the Gilded Age.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)
This book had my attention from the start. The storyline was very good and I found myself unable to put it down. I love the romance between the characters. I would love to see more books written by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, November 26, 2012
This a great series of books. I have all three books and will look for more by Cara Lynn James. Have recommended to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxed read -----, July 17, 2012
One or my favorite era's - the "gilded age" in the early 1900's. The story takes place in Newport, Rhode Island when showplace mansions were designed specifically to impress other rich people.

Working for the Rhode Island Reporter, as a typist, Charlotte Hale is asked to take on a job as governess for Professor Daniel Wilmont's household. This was a clandestine mission to search for evidence against the Professor's character. She was to look for his weaknesses and vices and report back to the editor of the paper. If she could put it all together, she'd have a future as one of the first female journalists. Charlotte realizes early on that her assignment makes her feel deceitful in many ways as she determines that Professor Wilmont is a very honorable man. Of course, Charlotte makes the right decisions as she finds herself developing romantic feelings for Daniel Wilmont.

This is a story of lies and deceit, but the message of forgiveness is certainly there. I found this book to be much more entertaining than the first in the series, Love on a Dime. If you're looking for and easy and relaxing book to read, this is probably for you. The only negative comment I would make is that the storyline seemed to drag on in spots ---- perhaps a few pages shorter would have sufficed.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, March 29, 2012
Susan B. Anthony (Ft. Drum, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)
Easy read, good look at life during that time. My book club read and reviewed it and all 9 members enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Story!, February 8, 2012
mhb (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) (Paperback)
I'm really glad I gave this book a chance, because I ended up liking it so much be better than the author's first novel Love On A Dime! While some people might find it "preachy", I found the main character's spiritual struggles and conversion to true faith to be fascinating, especially how the hero demonstrated to her forgiveness and doing what is right in Christ no matter what the situation. As someone mentioned, there are a lot of details about the Gilded Age that are lacking, as I also found in the previous novel, but I think the storyline and pace made up for that. This was an enjoyable, easy read for lovers of Christian fiction!

ARRAY(0xa2e47660)

Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill)
Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill) by Cara Lynn James (Paperback - January 11, 2011)
$15.99 $14.39