Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$15.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Aspiring reporter Charlotte Hale's boring life as secretary for a local newspaper life just took a sudden turn. Her boss gives her a job with the promise of becoming an actual reporter if completed well. Charlotte is determined to prove to him that she can do it...until she meets the man she is supposed to ruin. Continually confronted with nothing but an honest and upright man trying to provide for his children, she's at a loss at what to do. How can she destroy a good man? But must she give up her dreams of becoming a reporter?

With a warm and easy style, Cara Lynn James brings the characters of Charlotte Hale and Daniel Wilmont to life. The way Charlotte worked with Daniel's children, Tim and Ruthie, was really special and the bond that formed so quickly--as is easy to do with such a loveable and trusting girl like Ruthie--was so sweet! To my surprise, a bit of suspense was mixed into this plot and I found it very difficult to put the book down. The love story was very sweet and tender. I loved watching their affections for each other grow.

Reader's will be surprised by the twists in the plot, the dark secrets that Charlotte uncover, and the lessons she learns. You can't help but grow to love the characters, and even the town of Newport, Rhode Island was enchanting! I haven't read many books set in the Gilded Age, but Love on Assignment was a wonderful read with descriptive characters and a sweet story that will make you sigh as you read the last paragraph of the book. I look forward to reading more by this talented writer!

I reviewed this book for the publishers, Thomas Nelson. It was not required that I give a positive review, but solely to express my own thoughts and opinions of this book, which I have done.
on January 12, 2011
I was so excited to have the chance to review this book! I was on a book tour for book 1 in the Ladies of Summerhill series, Love On A Dime, and LOVED it, so I jumped on the chance for this one. And, like with book 1, Cara Lynn James certainly didn't disappoint! Once again, she has used her wonderful talent to immediately capture her readers and take them on a whirl wind of a ride back into history. She introduces us to new, sweet characters and to a few that we could just yell at along the way. But, that doesn't take away from the wonderful messages in this book!

In Love on Assignment, we get a glimpse into the life of the wanna-be ladies reporter, Charlotte, who has to go "undercover" on assignment as a governess for a rival columnist Daniel Wilmont. Along the way,there are some places in the story that could be a bit predictable, however, that doesn't stop Cara Lynn James from incorporating God's grace and love into the story. With a strong, clean message from Him, Charlotte takes on the roll of the governess, with all intents on discovering the truth and exposing Mr. Wilmont for who he is......or so she thought. God has other plans for that sweet lady! I'm not quite sure how to describe Mr. Wilmont with out giving away the plot lines,though. Can I just say this: he's definitely a man that I would want to work for!

I highly recommend this book to everyone who loves a good Historical story filled with God's messages. It gets 4 strong stars from this reader, along with 2 thumbs up. While it is book 2 in Cara's series, it is easily read as a stand alone novel with out any confusing points. I can't wait until book 3, Love By The Book releases in July 2011!!!

*This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review*
on January 6, 2011
Love on Assignment. This story is set in the early 1900's. A young lady named Charlotte Hale works at a newspaper as a secretary. She dreams of being a reporter, but just the fact that she is a woman makes her dream unreachable. When her boss offers her a chance to write a story, she can't believe her good luck and jumps at the opportunity. Mr. Phifer, the editor, asks her to live in the house of a professor as the governess to the professor's children. Professor Wilmont causes quite a stir with the articles he writes for another paper, and Mr. Phifer wants Charlotte to find anything she can to discredit the professor. Although her conscience gives her pause Charlotte accepts the job as governess. Little does she know that what she finds and experiences while working undercover will change her life and possibly destroy her dreams forever.

This is a well-written book that accurately shows the distinctions between the working class and the wealthy during this time-period. Mrs. James does an excellent job of describing and developing her characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the word pictures that she painted throughout the book. Not only does Mrs. James weave a tale of laughter, deception, romance, and secrets, she also displays the power of the gospel. I look forward to reading more from Mrs. James in the future. I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers through the booksneeze blogger program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
on March 29, 2011
Love On Assignment by Cara Lynn James

As I mentioned, this is the second book in the Ladies of Summerhill series by Cara Lynn James.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I am under no requirement to write a positive review, just an honest one.

The first book in the series, Love On A Dime, I read fairly recently. You can read my review for that book here.

However, if you want to read Love On Assignment as a stand-alone, you do not need to read the first book in the series first. While you see the characters from the first book again, you miss nothing by not having read the first book.

Love On Assignment is the story of a young, aspiring newspaper journalist, Charlotte Hale. At the time female journalists were virtually unheard of, but Charlotte's fondest dream is to become an actual journalist who gets to write news stories. She has been working at the Rhode Island Reporter, when her boss gives her the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to become an actual journalist!

Charlotte's boss wants her to go undercover and take a job as the governess for Daniel Wilmont, and while doing so, she is to spy on him in order to find anything incriminating by which the Rhode Island Reporter can discredit him and destroy his reputation.

Though slightly uncomfortable with the nature of the assignment, Charlotte knows that this is her big chance to become a true journalist as her boss has promised her a promotion if she is successful. Also, she is responsible for the bulk of the income that pays for her aunt and sister's care, so she is in no position to turn down a well-paying job, not when lawyers and debt collectors are after her for unpaid bills.

So, Charlotte manages to get hired on as the governess for Daniel Wilmont's two children and begins her job spying on him. While initially impartial, as she comes to know more about Daniel Wilmont she is unable to find the incriminating evidence that her boss wants her to find. Instead, she finds Daniel to be a kind, Christian man who lives and honest life and whose biggest offense is writing in favor of the poor workers and asking the rich to treat the poor with dignity and respect as any good Christian should.

Charlotte begins to have her eyes opened to God through Daniel, and the assignment gets tougher and tougher as time goes by. But hanging over her head are the job possibilities and the money to take care of her family and pay the bills.

Will Charlotte sell out in order to destroy Daniel Wilmont, even if it means coming up with fake evidence or exposing his most private life though he has treated her constantly with dignity and respect? Or will Charlotte be forced to make the choice between love and her job aspirations?

Read Love On Assignment to find out!

While enjoyable, the Ladies of Summerhill isn't my favorite series that I have ever read. That being said, it is still a beautiful series full of Christian values and a bit of romance.

I do appreciate that Charlotte Hale has grand aspirations for life as more than a housewife, something very uncommon in the early 1900s. I thought we got a great look into her mind, and a deep understanding of how hard it would be to be in her position: she needs the money desperately, but her boss, Daniel, is a good man who doesn't deserve the vendetta that her newspaper boss has against him.

I think we all have been in really tough situations where the choice was difficult to make, and this book does a good job at showing how God can lead you to the right decision, no matter how difficult.

4 out of 5 stars.
on March 2, 2011
Charlotte Hale desperately wants to become a journalist, something generally reserved for the men in the newspaper office. When her boss offers her the opportunity to move up in the office by taking an undercover assignment, she jumps at the opportunity.

She takes a nanny position in the household of the widowed Professor Wilmont, a man who writes a weekly religious column for the newspaper and stirs up quite a bit of trouble calling for equality and fair wages in the workplaces. It is a cause that the workers rally with and one that employers do not wish to hear.

While working as nanny, Charlotte searches to find flaws in the Professor's character, but only discovers an honest and upright man and a family that she begins to love deeply. Her uneasiness in her assignment grows as she observes her newspaper editor attempting some underhanded tactics to malign the Professor and cause him moral ruin. Will she be able to remain undercover and protect the Professor and his family or will everything fall to pieces around her on assignment?

My Thoughts

Love on Assignment is the second book in the Ladies of Summerhill series by Cara Lynn James, set in Rhode Island the late 1800's.

When she first arrives in the Wilmont household, Charlotte knows and understands very little about God and what a relationship with Christ is all about ~ especially in the area of forgiveness. During her time working for the family, she soon learns what a true relationship should look like. As she is convicted of her deceit she is placed in a difficult position because she needs a job to support her sick sister, but no longer wishes to deceive the family she works for.

The story was a great look at the Gilded Age and the dichotomy between the wealthy and the working classes and the responsibility of Christians in that setting. Cara Lynn James isn't overly preachy in the book, but clearly outlines the message of salvation through the story.
on January 23, 2011
I recently read Love On Assignment by Cara Lynn James. I must admit that this is not my normal genre of literature. I tend to approach Christian romance with a bit of hesitation, but for some reason this book captured my attention. The story is set in Newport, Rhode Island in the early 1900's and focuses on the life of a young woman, Charlotte Hale, as she seeks to become a reporter. Charlotte begins working her way up in a local newspaper and is offered an opportunity to go undercover as a governess to break a big scandalous story. However, as she seeks the truth for her story, she learns about his religion - which is the source of the scandal. As the Truth comes out, she is faced with a decision to continue to spy on a family she comes to care about, or risk losing her own job and her only means of supporting her own family.

I actually found Love On Assignment to be an easy and enjoyable book. With small children around, finding time to read is rare. However, this book was easy to pick up and dive right into. The plot was predictable, but the characters were endearing. This is actually the second book in the Ladies of Summerhill series and I am now interested in reading the first book. Obviously each book can stand on it's own. I think the historical setting is what I enjoyed the most. I walked away from this book with a greater appreciation of the religious tensions that existed in the early 1900's as big business and factories were booming and workers dealt with deplorable conditions.

If you are looking for a casual and enjoyable book, this is a great option!

I received this book without charge from Thomas Nelson Publishing for review. I was under no obligation to write a positive review. These are my own opinions.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Gilded Age time period is one of my favorite time periods to read about. I can't really explain it but I love the history that happened during that time as well as the fashions of that age. Charlotte's story of working undercover as a governess has been used in other books before but I really liked her spin of the story. She's actually good with the children and with the other members of the household. Even though she's also on the lookout for dirt for her assignment, she takes her job as a governess seriously and does what she can to bring the children and Daniel together. She's very professional about her job and even though there is slight attraction to her employer she does not let it interfere with her job at all. On the other hand, I felt Daniel got a bit over affectionate and caused Charlotte to feel uncomfortable with his actions. Personally if I had been him, I would have checked her references BEFORE hiring her. I felt he was a bit too dependent on his mother for my liking.

While I enjoyed the story, there were some parts of the book that I felt to be a bit preachy. Daniel's excerpts from his newspaper articles were a bit boring to read. In fact I found myself skimming over them whenever they would come up. I'm sure that during the time period and if I was actually a character in the story I might have found them interesting, but as a reader of the book they seemed to just be taking up space in the book. I felt that they read like mini sermons and I don't really like reading those when I read a fiction book.

The other thing about this book is that overall the story is very predictable. That's not to say that it's not enjoyable. It's just one of those books where even though you don't know the details of how it's going to happen, you know what is going to happen in the end. That being said, even though I could see everything happen chapters away, I really enjoyed reading Charlotte and Daniel's story. The nicest part is that there are no stereotypes in this story. Charlotte isn't a busybody trying to get the dirt for her story and Daniel, while being strong in his faith, isn't a turn or burn preacher. This is the second book in the Ladies of Summerhill series but it reads completely as a standalone. Previous characters from the first book make cameo appearances but their previous story doesn't need to be reading in order to understand this one. Overall, an enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the third book in the series.
on January 5, 2011
After reading the first book in the Ladies of Summerhill series by Cara Lynn James I was anxious to read "Love On Assignment", to see how well the author could continue her series, and I would say she pulled off another great historical christian read!
It's the summer of 1900, and Charlotte Hale has spent the last three years working as a secretary for the Rhode Island Reporter. She had always wanted to be a journalist, so when her boss presents her with the opportunity she jumps at the chance. Once she hears what the assignment is she is bothered a bit about what she is asked to do, but decides to do it anyway.
The assignment is to search for evidence against Daniel Wilmont, someone her boss considers a religious fanatic. Daniel is a Bible professor and writes a column for the competition, Newport Gazette. Her boss wants Daniel to stop writing his columns, will Charlotte find something she can use against him, and once she gets to know him will she want to?
The authors writing draws you into the story of Charlotte and Daniel, making you feel as if your right there with them. I became engrossed by the story, and while I kind of figured how it would turn out, I never felt bored reading it. While this is christian fiction, it never comes off as preachy, the message of forgiveness is there,although it isn't so overwhelming that you are put off by it.

This is the second in a series this book can easily be read as a stand alone work, although I would recommend picking up the first book, especially if your a fan of Historical Christian romance. I for one can't wait to read the next book in the series "Love By The Book" available July 2011.

Book provided by Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program in exchange for an honest review.
on January 5, 2011
I'll admit to being intrigued by the lifestyles of the rich and famous especially those of the 19th century and the Gilded Age. This series, Ladies of Summerhill blends both the lower and upper classes and it's set in the resort town of Newport, Rhode Island. I'm pleased to say that this series is definitely a keeper! I liked the first book Love on a Dime but this one is sooo much better! I'm usually not thrilled by the second book in any series but not so with this one. I really like where Ms. James is going with the female writer angle. Lilly was a dime novel author, Charlotte is an aspiring newspaper columnist and I'm not sure what Melinda from Love by the Book (Book 3) will be like but I'm sure if she's anything like Charlotte it will be fun!

Charlotte is a young woman trying to care for her sister and elderly aunt so when the opportunity arises for her to make a name for herself in the prominently male environment at the newspaper where she works as a secretary she jumps at the chance. Little does she know that the "assignment" would lead her to love and a rediscovery of her faith. Daniel Wilmont, the prominent religious professor and columnist for a competing newspaper has no clue that Charlotte has a secret that could destroy them both.

It is all very romantic and has a great lesson about being truthful and doing what's right no matter what. All the time I was reading this I couldn't help but compare it to Jane Eyre one of my all-time favorite classics. The younger woman and the older wealthy gentleman, the wife from the past and the caring housekeeper were just a few elements that brought that familiar classic to mind. If you're a fan of romance and Christian fiction, Love on Assignment is a book to look for!

* I received my review copy from the publisher in exchange for posting my honest opinion and review of the book.*
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2010
After a very relaxing reading experience with Love on a Dime, Cara Lynn James's last book, I was really looking forward to reading Love on Assignment. I have found the setting of the affluent community of Newport, Rhode Island during the Gilded Age and appealing and interesting setting for this book series. I especially liked Love on Assignment taking place during the summer. I could almost feel those warm summer breezes during the cold and snowy Christmas weekend when I read this book. So, before I even started this book, it appealed to me and I couldn't wait to get started.

Charlotte Hale is not a member of Newport's affluent society. She is a simple secretary for a local newspaper who longs to be a reporter and she will do anything to realize her dream. But, when she digs to uncover a scandal with her new employer, she is suddenly torn between her dream job as a reporter and the love she now feels for this man.

Cara Lynn James has a very relaxing writing style that I quickly came to enjoy when I read her last book. Love on Assignment is written in the same way, which I really liked. There were some slow parts in this book, but the story was interesting enough that the slow parts didn't have a negative effect on my experience with this book. Very often when a book has slower spots they add to the relaxed feel of the story and that is how this book felt - relaxed and enjoyable. I really liked this book and I really like Cara Lynn James's writing and original story. I will be looking forward to the next book in the Ladies of Summerhill series.