5.0 out of 5 stars Great at home resource for the coffee afficianado
Published on April 13, 2008 by Deb Nam-Krane

2.0 out of 5 stars I do love coffee...
Just not this book. I bought this hoping to find real recipes inside that I could create at home. Everything used some sort of flavored syrup, which other than the basic vanilla or carmel, must be bought online or in a specialty shop. This makes the drinks too expensive and time consuming to make at home.
I do however think a lot of creativity was put into creating...
Published on October 23, 2011 by Kiley Kuchler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great at home resource for the coffee afficianado, April 13, 2008
Deb Nam-Krane "dnkboston" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I work part-time as a barista, and I picked up this book to get some ideas for flavor combinations that we could introduce into our cafe. Certainly, this book has tons, featuring unusual flavor combinations- think chocolate/orange/hazelnut- and also holiday ideas (eggnog for Christmas, creme de Menthe for St. Patrick's etc.) as well as the classics. Even more importantly, it gives you the know-how to make your favorite latte combinations at home. As odd as it may seem, one of my favorite things to do at work is to steam milk- I love the look and feel of the foam. Zimmer explains how to do that almost perfectly using a pan, a whisk or handheld mixer and your stovetop. (Sadly, this doesn't work as well for me with soymilk, but with practice I'm sure I'll get it.) She also explained how to do a stovetop espresso with the classic Bialetti espresso maker. Since it retails for about $35, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than a souped up espresso machine and would almost definitely pay for itself after about ten lattes; you may never need to go to your local cafe again.

However, I disagreed with her instructions for many of the flavored lattes and mochas. She advises pouring in the milk first and then the syrups and espressos; I find the flavor is distributed better if the shot and syrup are in first and then followed by the milk. But that's probably more a matter of preference than anything else- your results may differ.

This is also a comprehensive reference for beans and roasting, and she even gives instructions for roasting your own beans at home. Seriously, she leaves the reader pretty much no excuse not to have the best cafe-level coffee in your own home.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Espresso Yourself!, April 16, 2007
Susan Zimmer takes coffee seriously - make no beans about it! Her humor comes through in this amazing book that not only offers super-duper, impressive recipes for all kinds of coffee drinks (hot, cold, w/liquor, caf & decaf!), but she also shares her vast knowledge on all other aspects of this addictive brew.

I own one of her earlier works, "Cappuccino Cocktails & Espresso Martinis," but in her new book, she really hits her stride. It is small and colorful and packed with everything you need to know about our latest obsession. As "The Queen of the Business Lunch," (I am the author of "The Art of the Business Lunch), I need to be in the know about everything relating to fine dining, entertaining and taking care of guests. The Art of the Business Lunch: Building Relationships Between 12 And 2

I entertain a LOT at my home. I was so inspired by Susan's book that I decided to host a Sunday Brunch just so I could get creative and offer my guests some of her suggested drinks. What a hit!

I used coffee as the theme and sprinkled beans on every serving dish. I knew more about coffee than any of my guests after reading "I LOVE COFFEE" and everyone seemed to delight in learning little tidbits of information. We did taste tests and made several of the recipes. Every single one was a winner. Then we got into the coffee martinis. We had a blast. I put out a tray with various sugars, whipped cream, chocolate covered beans, cinnamon sticks and other garnishes. I never knew coffee could be so much fun.

This book also makes a great gift. We played a few games and I gave away a copy as the grand prize. I got rave reviews from my clients who came to brunch. They were all impressed with the theme and all of the treats. I think everyone who loves to cook or entertain should have a copy of Susan's book and read it from cover to cover. I can't rave enough about her wit, her humor and her knowledge. This is an excellent book!

2.0 out of 5 stars I do love coffee..., October 23, 2011
I do however think a lot of creativity was put into creating these drinks, but feel the "recipes" would be better suited to coffee shops and vendors.
In the beginning of the book she does explain different methods for making coffee and espresso. Helpful for the novice, but unless you have an unnaturally large variety of flavored syrups on hand, you're better off without this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but thin in places, May 31, 2009
The book starts with the usual items that are in every coffee book (the history of coffee, types, blends, machines and such, then it goes into some very nice advanced drinks, some quite good.

However, there are a total of about two pages written about the actual making of the coffee drinks (how to make the best steamed milk, the optimal temperature, exact amounts of syrup to use. At a Coffee Bean or Starbucks, they have work books for employees that actually give specific (milk steamed to 168 degrees F) for each coffee element. That was closer to what I hoped for.

However, if you have that down, then this book is the right step ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars good recepies with pictures for coffee lovers, November 12, 2008
Me and my husband love coffee, and we like trying out new recepies. It is a nicely presented book with good recepies. It has nice pictures as well. you may find the information about coffee and beans in most of the coffee books, but since the writer has been in coffee bussiness for years it also gives hints.
Nice book, worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, January 17, 2012
Jason Vanderford (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I just got an espresso machine for the home and was looking for a book to help clarify the different types of coffee drinks I could make. This book provided a good primer on the origins of coffee (where it's grown, how it's picked, packaged, roasted), and the various ways of preparing coffee. She reviews the different types of coffee making apparatus, and their advantages and disadvantages. She discusses espresso as a method, making it at home, and how to make steamed/frothed milk for those types of drinks. There is a glossary for a lot of the varied coffee terms that is really helpful for ordering in coffee shops. While I'm no stranger to order drinks in a Starbucks, there were things in the glossary I'd never heard of, and I will likely try in the future. The remainder of the book is a plethora of coffee drink recipes. My wife is not much of a coffee drinker, but many of these have piqued her interest. This book was fun and the author clearly loves coffee. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know about coffee from someone who really enjoys drinking and making it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just love it!! :), June 18, 2010
Caro Diaz (Santiago, Chile) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I'm about to open a Café and I wanted to try new
recipes and this book it was great! Great recipes, full of new ideas!
I totally recomend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My boyfriend loves it!, December 19, 2007
I bought this for my boyfriend as an Chanukah present and he absolutely loves it. We haven't gotten a chance to try any of the recipes, but he loves how it has the history of coffee and espresso and how to properly brew it. There are many wonderful sounding recipes inside!

5.0 out of 5 stars home brew, December 12, 2008
This was a very good and informative book on the ins and outs of making a great coffee, and other coffee flavored drinks. The author did a lot of research on coffee's and the history of making the perfect cup. This book is a must read for anyone wanting to master the art of becoming a home Barrista.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for coffee enthusiasts, January 1, 2014
Susan Zimmer's "I Love Coffee!" is a wonderful reference for coffee enthusiasts. After recently researching and acquiring a superautomatic espresso machine, I was looking for a guidebook to some coffee drink variations.

I Love Coffee! is divided into two primary parts: Part I, "Beans and Machines", and Part II, "Recipes".

I found sections of Part I very valuable; the history of coffee, as well as methods for steaming or frothing milk, were very interesting reading. The manual that came with my espresso machine is fairly obviously written by people who primarily speak Italian (which is actually overall a good thing if you look at the history of espresso's creation). However, the documentation is quite lacking in explaining some basic things, and I Love Coffee fills in the gaps very well.

I did not find much value in Zimmer's rather cursory overview of the different types of espresso machines.

As I had initially been looking for some recipes, the overall added value of Part I was an unexpected pleasure.

Part II, Recipes, is wonderful. There are many recipes in Part II, and they are divided into four groups:

Hot Coffee Drinks
Iced and Blended Coffee Drinks
Coffee and Espresso Martinis and Coffee Dessert Drinks
Seasonal and Holiday Coffee Drinks

The recipes are easy to follow and easily scaled if you have basic math skills. The color photographs of the drinks are a very nice touch. I really appreciate that in most cases with the drinks that include alcohol, Zimmer includes non-alcohol alternatives to those ingredients.

Finally, there is a short section that includes recipes for do it yourself flavors of syrups and whipped creams.

All in all this is a great book to both give you some recipes, and to spur some ideas of your own.

I Love Coffee! Over 100 Easy and Delicious Coffee Drinks
I Love Coffee! Over 100 Easy and Delicious Coffee Drinks by Susan Zimmer (Paperback - March 1, 2007)
Used & New from: $7.89