3,306 Reviews
 (1,192)
 (1,030)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tasty Treat
A simple enough recipe- take one disappearing fiancé, one reappearing ex-boyfriend, one resurfacing celebrity stalker, one brother with a troubled heart, one father who previously disappointed his children and a best friend who is too good to be true. Mix together, toss lightly, and enjoy.

Just when you think you know where this story is going the author...
Published on January 12, 2012 by racerxess

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay
Published on July 16, 2011 by shira46

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay, July 16, 2011
shira46 (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The One You Love (Emma Holden Suspense Mystery Trilogy, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is very readable because it was well written but I wasn't crazy about it. It's a long, slow moving psychological thriller. This could be a matter of taste, so I'm talking to readers like me who prefer faster paced action. This one just keeps going on and on about mysterious characters and oblique references to dark secrets in the past. There were many times when I was saying, "get on with it and make something happen."

I didn't find any of the characters appealing, especially the main character, Emma. She comes across as weak and insipid and does really stupid things, like going alone into a dark basement with a smell of decomposition, or turning down the acting role of a lifetime because the casting director won't tell her who referred her to him. The author may have been trying to show her reaction to the stress she was under but I just found it annoying.

Kept reading waiting for what I was sure was going to be a sucker punch ending, and I didn't figure out who did it beforehand, but by the end I just didn't care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why this book got an average rating of 4 stars confuses me, January 18, 2012
This is not the worst book I've read, but really, pretty bad. I am surprised I didn't put it down and just give up. Perhaps I wanted a confirmation of who I guessed the culprit was, but really, it dragged on and on with a mish mosh of conversations questioning what happened to dear old Dan.

Don't waste your time if you can help it. I downloaded it because it was free. I have had some luck with freebies before. No such luck here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please learn English, August 2, 2011
Are most of these Kindle freebies self-published dreck? This was god-awful rubbish. The author doesn't know the difference between the words "exasperate" and "exacerbate" and kept using the latter in contexts that might have been humorous if I had not been so utterly disgusted with this waste of time. ("She was so exacerbated with the situation...") There is an occasional well-written gem in the freebie pile, but this isn't one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so much, February 6, 2012
Poorly written. Hard to get past the lack of proofreading and editing. The story felt forced and choppy and the characters were poorly developed.

1.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, October 12, 2011
I paid zero for this book. That is what it is worth. Poorly defined characters, poorly constructed plot and atrocious grammar sprinkled throughout the entire book. A waste of time and energy holding up the Kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars time i can't get back, March 21, 2012
I started this several weeks ago but couldn't seem to get involved. I started from the beginning today, read 20% and deleted it entirely. No character development at that stage of the game is not worth my time. I need to know my characters well enough to either like or dislike them. I scarcely knew their ages much less what they were all about. Two hours of my life I can't get back!

2.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Love _The One You Love_, December 31, 2011
I gave this book two stars because it was free. If I'd had to pay for it, I would have given it only one. I got the Kindle version, which may have been part of the reason it was hard to follow. Usually, when an author makes a big switch in character or time, he or she will use a large enough "white space" to signal the switch, and with the Kindle version the white space may have been eliminated when the file was converted into the digital format, so I tried to keep that in mind as I read.

The white space would have been helpful because there were a lot of shifts that were hard to follow. The narrator was talking about "he" doing or saying something, then a few lines later he was again talking about "he" doing or saying something, but it was a different "he" being discussed. I found this technique confusing and very frustrating. Several times I had to go back and read passages over again to figure out if the story was about the same character or if it had shifted to another.

The author made an attempt at creating complex characters and storylines, but he fell short in reaching his goal.

A good mystery/suspense should keep the reader guessing and even lead him to suspect the wrong person first. After all, who wants to figure out the mystery from the very beginning? However, the reader should not feel manipulated and the unraveling of the mystery should be logical. In this case, I felt like the solution to the mystery was contrived and unbelievable.

As I was reading, I kept thinking that the book must have been self-published and suffered from a lack of an editor. One or two grammatical errors can be forgiven, but _The One You Love_ had one or two DOZEN grammatical errors, which I find very distracting.

I have to disagree with the reviewers who said the book was well-written. In my opinion, character development was poor, and the storyline was hard to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tasty Treat, January 12, 2012

Just when you think you know where this story is going the author skillfully throws a sneaky curve and slams you sideways. This is a true roller coaster ride complete with swift twists and jerking turns. For those who enjoy who dunnit mysteries, this one is served with meat. Well done. May I have another?

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Waste of Time, August 16, 2011
Is it possible to rate a book as less than one? Even free, this thing was overpriced! Insipid characters, no scene separation, and a convoluted plot with no real excitement. I would think it was written for teenagers but that would be an insult to teenagers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more from this book, October 9, 2011
From the begging of the book it was leading up to something extraordinary. While the writing was enjoyable and easy to follow, it never arrives at a place I had hope or expected. Quick read, but I wish I had the time back as the ending seems like it was just tacked on.