5.0 out of 5 stars A Game-Changer, A Life-Changer
Published 4 months ago by Michelle DeRusha

3.0 out of 5 stars How can one be approved?
For years Jennifer Dukes Lee struggled with what she calls the "love idol" - craving the approval of others. She learned to let go of that idol and instead rest in the approval of God that had already been bought and paid for with the blood of Christ. Love Idol is written in an easy-to-read memoir style. Readers will enjoy Jennifer's stories about her journey from seeking...
Published 6 days ago by Rachel Lundy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game-Changer, A Life-Changer, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval - and Seeing Yourself through God's Eyes (Paperback)
Honestly, where do I even begin? I've read this book twice through already. It's dog-eared, underlined, wrinkled and worn -- and it's still brand-new! I admit straight-up that I am a book snob, so I do not say this lightly: Jennifer Lee's book is one of the best-written, compelling, life-changing books I have ever read. She has the remarkable gift of weaving personal story together with biblical instruction in such a way that the reader, so captivated by the story, doesn't even realize she is ingesting an important, life-altering message. Until, that is, she puts the book down and lets that God-infused message seek in deep. Only then does she realize this book, this message, is what she desperately needed to hear all along.

I am a perfectionist, an approval-seeker, a compare-er, an envy-er. All my life I have looked at others and thought, "Why don't I have that? Why isn't it easy like that for me?" Never once did I consider that these tendencies are deeply ingrained in idolatry - in my lack of trust in God, in my refusal to see how much he loves me. Jennifer's book has opened my eyes and my heart in such a new, refreshing, invigorating way, I don't think think I'll ever be the same. And that is a very good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do You Want to Get Well?, March 22, 2014
J. Ferguson (Pflugerville, Texas) - See all my reviews
For Lent, I gave up criticism -- that of myself and others around me, be it a friend or a stranger in the grocery store. And I did this because God was showing me before I read a single page of this book that I let criticism wreck me. Not only this, but I walk around with such high expectations of myself that I project those onto others as well.

Love Idol is helping me understand further why God wants me to fully know that I am pre-approved by Him, which means I no longer have to chase the approval of this world. He offers me the healing necessary to bring me to this place of full restoration. But Jesus is a gentleman and He asks if I really want it. Because this means I have to change my behavior. I can't walk in the same routines and motivations and head spaces. I have to live differently.

He asks me while I lay in bed one night and I pretty much tell Him I'm figuring out what will have to change. I want to be as fully aware as possible of how I will live after I say "yes." The next day, I read chapter 7, how Jennifer hears Jesus ask her this same question, from the very same verse.

The Holy Spirit is moving and He is using this book to help me continue on a process He had already started. It is hard, but it is freeing. It is deep, but it is good. It's the perfect book for Lent, for Spring, and for every season of our lives. At every turn, we have to remember that we are His and no other label matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, March 20, 2014
Right around the time I turned 38 this year, I was suddenly gripped with an incomprehensible fear.

Fear and I have always been acquainted. But for some reason, it was particularly illuminated now. I couldn't quite figure it out.

And then I started reading Love Idol.

It was like God said to me, "This book is for you. Your fears and your insecurities have nothing to do with your abilities and everything to do with you being afraid of rejection, of criticism, of not measuring up. Stop looking for approval from man and know you are approved by Me."

Jennifer Dukes Lee shares her own story of struggling with seeking approval from man and finally finding it in the One who has approved of us all along. Through her journey, I was able to identify my own idol of approval and begin to smash it to bits, believing I am preapproved and that's all that matters.

By the end of her story, I was in tears. Where several weeks ago I was bound by my fear and unable to take steps toward what God is calling me to, I finished the last pages full of hope as I felt those tethers fall away.

Where at the beginning of her story, Jennifer was driven by perfectionism and a need to be approved, by the end she sums up what God has done in her heart beautifully:

"I want to let people know they matter to God, they matter to others, and they matter to me. Not because of the size of their jeans, their bank accounts, or their influence, but simply because of their God."

This woman, once bound is free to reflect the very love of Jesus that freed her.

I want that, too.

This is not a self-help book, simply the story of one woman determined to follow Jesus. But I promise you that as you read it, your life will be changed.

I received a free digital advanced copy from Tyndale House to review. You should also check out The Love Idol Movement on Facebook. You'll be so glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are Pre-Approved!!!!, March 20, 2014
Every once in a while you read a book which not only delights you in unexpected ways but impacts you, touching you deeply in your soul. Such was the case recently when I read, Love Idol by Jennifer Dukes Lee.

I knew I would enjoy the book as I have read her blog posts, being challenged by each one. But this was different.

Love Idol is Jennifer’s personal journey to break free from the addiction of approval of others – at home, at work and at church. She shares deeply personal stories and experiences which I found myself quickly able to relate. But it is more. As Jennifer shared openly and vulnerably, she gently revealed that same journey was ongoing in my own life. With each chapter I read, I was letting go of more and finding peace in this profound truth – I am loved. God approves of me. I am significant to Him.

Jennifer weaves her story with such transparency, inviting you in, not only into her life, but into the lives of her family. I found myself loving her children and wanting to applaud Lydia as she let go of perfectionism and received a “B” in school. I wanted to hug Anna for her warmth and love as she encourages and affirms her sister. I have an appreciation for a farmer who lives by the mantra, “God’s got it!”. And I wanted to attend her church as she shares of the laypeople in the congregation and the community which lies therein.

Jennifer drew me in and in the safety of her words, I found myself fully embracing the truth that God already loves me. In fact, I have been pre-approved by God and nothing will change my approval rating. We say we know this truth but to truly believe it and live it, well, therein is often the challenge.

I read much of this book with tears streaming as my soul was awakened by truth – God’s truth. But here’s the deal about the love of Jesus ….

He has a race marked out for you. And He will run alongside you until the last light of your life fades. You can never outrun Jesus. And Jesus’ love will never, ever run out. (page 235)

Love Idol is the story of Jennifer’s journey to run her race. It is the story of letting go of the chains which once bound her and odds are real good, they bind each of us as well. You will not only enjoy Love Idol, you will find that your life will truly never be quite the same. I know this to be true because I have been changed and am grateful to have read this book.

There is a movement which is going to happen – a laying down of sorts. If you listen closely, you will hear the sound of idols being smashed and chains dropping off. And if you dare to read the book, the sound you hear may be the sound of your very own freedom.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishing in exchange for my honest review. Come join the Love Idol Movement on Facebook. You will also want to visit Jennifer on her blog - jenniferdukeslee.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul food, March 20, 2014
When I got home last night I sat down and started reading this book. 4 hours later I was done. This morning I realized I hadn't gotten up once that whole 4 hours...not for a drink, for a bathroom break or even to get something to munch (an amazing feat). Hmmmm... I think it's safe to say it was a VERY GOOD read!
Thank you, Jesus, for the nourishment I got from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a Friend Who "Gets You"? Read This Book, March 23, 2014
Here’s why I give Love Idol 5 stars:

* Jennifer is real, relatable and likable.

* The biblical truths in this book are solid.

* Many Christian books tend to be teachy or preachy, but this book is different. Different in the best kind of way. Beautiful.

* As a writer myself, we're taught “show, don’t tell.” Most writers still tend to tell more than they show. But Jennifer writes in “all show.” She is a gifted storyteller. I could see her in each painted scene and I could feel her struggle. And yes, oh yes, I relate to her heart.

* If you struggle with perfectionism or people pleasing (like me), you will find yourself inside Jennifer’s story. She serves as a mirror for you to see yourself, which in turn makes you want to change alongside her.

* Uncovering our love idols is so important.

* Knowing our worth as women is huge and Jennifer addresses this issue head on with transparency and Truth.

* If you’re a mom with daughters, you will appreciate the experiences shared here. We teach our girls through our example and we also can learn so much from them.

* I know I’ve read a great book when I am bummed it’s over.

* The best kind of books feel like I’ve made a new lifelong friend. Jennifer is welcome to my home anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never be the same., March 22, 2014
I love to read, and I've read a lot of good books.
I've even read a number of great books.
But the list of books that have literally changed my life? That list is pretty short.
And the list of life-changing books that I plan to read again and again? Even shorter still.

But friends, my most recent read is on that short list. Through the reading of the book and the walking of the journey it accompanies, I am a very different person than I was a few weeks ago.

Love Idol: Letting go of your need for approval and seeing yourself through God's eyes, by Jennifer Dukes Lee, is a game changer. Through the bold and transparent telling of her own story of seeking the approval of others, Jennifer leads us on a journey of our own. It's a journey where the horizon is often blocked by the clutter of our own love idols, but as we walk the road together we occasionally - and with increasing frequency - can see the road before us with honest clarity as those idols are knocked the kicked to the ground.

My own journey involved smashing the idol of approval from others of my clothing. Now, several weeks after beginning this journey, I can say with honesty that the idol is losing its appeal. It's not as shiny any more. It doesn't look like something I want to keep around. And frankly, I think I'm dragging it out to the curb.

Because the truth is, I've uncovered the reality of what an idol is, and I've become acquainted with the truth that sets prisoners free.

I don't think I have to look perfect in order to be accepted.
I don't believe I have to perform perfectly to be perfectly loved.
I don't insist I have to be perfect to stare Perfection in the face...and find love in His eyes.
Because as Jennifer writes, I am 100% preapproved by God, and "His love is not linked to [my] puny performances but to a Savior's performance on [my] behalf."

Nothing I can do will ever change His immense love for me, and even better? Nothing I do or say or think or believe or wear can ever make Him love me any more.
He loves me perfectly, so I am free to embrace my imperfection. He accepts me, so the temporal, conditional acceptance I find anywhere else will always pale in comparison. The truth is that God - my Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer - "stamped me with a seal that said, 'This one is Mine.'"

Jennifer's honest telling of her story invited me to look honestly at my own story, and it believe with all my heart that the Lord intends to use it to do a similar work in the lives of all who read this book. Chains are being broken, shackles are dropping to the ground, and feet are running with newfound freedom.

And love idols? They're being smashed. I can't think of anything better to say than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's A Love Idol?, March 22, 2014
The first thing I wondered in picking up this book was, what exactly IS a love idol? Jennifer explains in the forward.
"Instead of resting in the love and approval of an unseen God, we chase after the temporary pleasures of human validation."
From that point on, I was hooked.

I dove into this book, exhausted by my own love idols, yet desiring to simply rest in God's approval.
Jennifer gently guides us through her own story, and with refreshing honesty, shares her love idols ~ perfectionism and the insatiable need for the approval of others.

Jennifer shows us how to identify our own love idols {which we all have because of our human condition}, by drawing us into her world...life on the family farm in Iowa, the triumphs and pains of her daughters, her "God's got it" husband and the community church folks who are a rich part of her life. She also shares scriptures that shed new light on our pushy, bossy, never enough love idols.

I realized very early on that THIS was a book, not only for my own heart, but I shared much of its contents within the high school girls group that I mentor. And WOW! They not only understood the entire premise of love idols, but poignantly and transparently, shared their own. Their tenderness to Jennifer's message served to show me how stealthily the enemy works in us from the time we're young, but identifying the idols {lies} is a huge first step in becoming free of them!

I thoroughly recommend this book, not only for yourself, but that you consider its message for younger audiences as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars These words will change your vision, March 21, 2014
In a competitive world where we have to squint hard to see who God made us to be it's easy to lose focus. Jennifer Dukes Lee takes apart the mirrors that reflect the lies that whisper that we are not "enough" and she invites us to do the same. She writes as if she's sitting on the couch, cup of coffee in hand, and discussing the real struggles. I related to Jennifer on each and every page of this book.

My 16-year old daughter also read "Love Idol" and it was the catalyst for many conversations. She came to me saying "I thought I was the only one who felt this way~ this battle to be perfect." And then I, as her mother, came clean, too. I'm grateful that Jennifer, through these words, gave me the courage to do so. To look the next generation straight in the eye and say: "I have wanted to be noticed when I already was. By the GOD who created me~ just as I am."

This book will move you and bolster you. I highly recommend it, and that you pass it on to your daughters as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Craving Approval?, March 21, 2014
dewbailey (Montgomery, Al USA) - See all my reviews
Jennifer's writing voice gives us the feeling of sitting with her on the couch and listening to her story. Love Idol address a fear most people have, "do you like me?", "am I enough?"

As a reporter who met and interviewed many famous and important people, it wasn't until she met and realized God's approval for her that she began to live with greater joy and freedom.

Love Idol is a must read for anyone struggling with their self image, perfectionism, or wanting to be approved. This is the perfect book read on a rainy day or take with you on your travels.

$14.99 $9.48