4.0 out of 5 stars Love at Last Sight: An Insightful Read
Love at Last Sight, by Pastor Kerry and Chris Shook, is another refreshing look on marriage. This book is divided into a four week study: The Art of Being All There, The Art of Acting Intentionally, The Art of Risking Awkwardness and The Art of Letting Go. Each of these sections is specifically written towards the topics listed.

My favorite section is the art...
Published on June 22, 2011 by Jeremy D. Hellums

Upon receiving "Love At Last Sight," I was excited to get started reading and discover what I was missing in my relationships to make them work.

For more information about the Love At Last Sight Challenge, go to [...]

For an excerpt form the first chapter of the book, please go to this site from the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group:...
Published on August 21, 2010 by N. Corzine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, not so much for the established believer., August 21, 2010

For more information about the Love At Last Sight Challenge, go to [...]

[...]

The book gives chapter-a-day-for-a-month advice for the important relationships in your life (i.e. Spouse, parents/kids, and close friends).

By about halfway through, I realized that, while the book is very well written, and has plenty of good points, it was not all that I anticipated it to be. The points that are made within each chapter are valid, and will work, if followed/utilized. The reason I feel that this book wasn't a GREAT book is that it told me a lot of things that I already knew about relationships to be true. That they take work. They take time. They take patience, forgiveness, and some more work.

Upon completion of the book, I am left feeling bittersweet. I believe the book is well-written, however, it just doesn't leave me feeling "full." I was looking for a deeper connection to the Bible, God's word, about relationships and how He believes them to thrive and flourish. Maybe I had the wrong expectation going into reading this book. Perhaps for new believers or followers of Christ, this book will open a lot of avenues for them to establish or pursue relationships full of love, and they will be more fulfilled in what they receive from the relationships as well. For the more established believer, I don't believe this book will live up to their expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love at Last Sight: An Insightful Read, June 22, 2011

My favorite section is the art of acting intentional. As Kari and I continue on our journey together, I have caught myself "taking it easy," and sometimes overlooking opportunities to do things for my wife. This section reminded me that it is necessary for me to continue to act intentionally.

I would recommend Love at Last Sight to married folks.

God Bless.

I received this book free from Multnomah Books as part of their book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

3.0 out of 5 stars Feel-Good but Not Fulfilling, May 10, 2011
"Everything you've been taught about relationships is wrong."

The back cover of the book already had me on my defense. I realize the authors were aiming after dramatics, but I tend to be literal, so such a blatant statement was not the way I wanted to begin this book.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed in the content of this book. Husband and wife team, Kerry & Chris Shook follow the pattern of their best-selling book, One Month to Live, in order to write this book, Love at Last Sight.

While the overall message of the book: true love takes hard work, commitment, struggle, and forgiveness and not simply "love-at-first-sight" feelings is a very crucial understanding, the format of dividing up this message into a 30-day devotional/study seemed a bit forced.

I longed for practical steps to use towards a Love at Last Sight type marriage, rather than fluffy clichés and phrases such as, "Only when you live from your heart can you truly be free" (pg. 138). I think the authors could have made their message much more effective in an article length reading, rather than trying to stretch out their teachings in a 221-page book.

In conclusion, I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars. For someone looking for some feel-good encouragement about making your marriage last, this could be a good read. As a single woman in her early 20s, while I found the book a realistic look at love, it was a bit drawn out for its content.

*I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love At Last Sight - a review, March 22, 2011
Love At Last Sight by Kerry & Chris Shook was worth the time it took to soak in. The authors give you 30 days to grow and deepen your key relationships. Key relationships are characterised as those closest to you (usually family but often friends).

Marriage is mentioned often but is not the only application for the challenges in the book. The authors make this an easy read. However, application of the suggested changes may not be as easy as reading the book is. With God all things are possible though. It is only through His Holy Spirit that we can become kindhearted, compassionate, and others centered.

I will keep this one around and refer back to it from time to time.

I received this book to review for free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love At Last Sight - Review, April 21, 2011
Want to grow and deepen your relationships? Kerry and Chris Shook lay out a plan to help you do just that. They challenge you to deepen and grow your closet relationships through a 30 day challenge. To learn more about the challenge, visit lastsightchallenge.com

I was really excited about reading this book and applying their concepts. Only shortly after I started the book, I realized that this book wasn't really what I was looking for. I'm the type of person who loves being with friends and family. I rarely spend a weekend at home. I'm almost always on the road visiting and engaging my relationships. They teach you concepts that are pretty standard when it comes to relationships. Relationships take time and work. They aren't always easy. I know these things; I think most people know these things. I came to the conclusion that if you are the type of person who really struggles with getting the deep relationships and getting the connections that you desire, then Love At Last Sight is for you. Me however, I was sort of disappointed. The book just didn't really teach me much that I didn't already know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Challenging!, June 26, 2014
While reading Love at Last sight I was refreshed by the practicality and usefulness of this books. This books gives you the challenge of deepening your relationships with those most important to you. While reading this book I was faced with many truths about relationships I already "knew" and seemed "obvious." While they may seem like" I already knew that" points they are put in a way that are concise and alongside examples of how we neglect to act on those truths in our relationships. This book gives you challenges each day to work on that when acted upon truly to help you to enhance your relationships and deepen them. While reading this book I found myself continually challenged on how to love, treat, and think of others in ways that helped me grow as a person. While I did have a hard time reading this in thirty days, the challenges still impacted nonetheless. I plan on keeping this book, recommending it to others, and to hopefully reread it with a friend to help keep me accountable as I renew the strength of the relationships of those that are important to me. If you are looking for a book that can give you step by step practical ways to grow deeper friendships and a greater understanding of how Christ loves us, this book is an excellent choice.

I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers for review purposes.
If this sounds like something that would interest you check out [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at last sight!, May 28, 2014
This is a very helpful and well written book. Good for any type of relationship.
The is a very good and easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great practical advice!, May 17, 2014
Our society tends to value the romantic notion of "love at first sight"... but I think it's more important that we continue to grow that mutual love and respect so we don't rely on a romantic feeling that may fade with time. If we honor our mate and value our relationship, we need to put forth the effort to make sure our love grows in a healthy way.

I had the opportunity to review "Love at Last Sight" by Kerry and Chris Shook. This book is a 30 day journey to growing your relationship. The authors are both Christians and offer Biblical advice, which is wonderful. Each "day" in the book is short enough to be read together with your husband, contains great insight into how to apply each principle, and ends with a very practical challenge.

I really enjoyed that most of the recommendations in this book not only apply to marriage, but also actually apply to many different types of relationships in our lives! There are some sound principles that are key to maintaining good relationships in the workplace, with friends, and other family members. The authors stress the importance of being fully present, respecting and valuing others, and dealing with conflict in a healthy way.

Whether you are a newlywed or have been married for many years, I definitely recommend checking out this book for some great refreshers. After all, we all want to grow our relationships and having a check-up every now and then is a great way to stay healthy!

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from the publisher’s Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars All married couples should have., March 31, 2014
Please please please buy this and read it with your spouse. It changed our marriage! Really does a wonderful job of giving you perspective into what God intended your marriage to be and why you should cherish every waking moment with the love of your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at last sight, March 16, 2014
Lots of useful and practical information on how to work at and keep a good relationship! Good read for men and women alike.

Love at Last Sight: Thirty Days to Grow and Deepen Your Closest Relationships