4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Marriage
I read this book at the request of a woman who has profoundly impacted my life on all levels. This book focuses on society's very real issues in relationships. These issues have always existed, however today we see a steady increase in divorce, STD, abortion, etc. Why?

"The Hollywood Formula"
This belief instills into current society "fast love"...
Published on July 31, 2005 by G. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Not a bad read, overall. What Ingram writes sets a good foundation for healthy connections. The tone of the book is very preachy. The first chapter begins with him asking if you've read the introduction and reprimanding you if you haven't. He doesn't leave any room for moral ambiguity, often equating love/righteousness with his community's social/cultural standards. His...
Published on November 25, 2010 by Yue

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Marriage, July 31, 2005

"The Hollywood Formula"
This belief instills into current society "fast love" concepts, love as a 100% pain-free experience, and the love/sex identity crisis. It centers on looking to another person to complete yourself. "You complete me."

The God formula emphasizes that you become your true self in Love, and by consequence you will draw true Love to yourself.

Chip explores what profound love is, and what it is not. Paralleling the holy trinity, he explains the 3 loves as the Greeks knew them:
agape - Love that is selfless, without condition, without judgment. (Spirit)
phileo - Love that begets beautiful friendship (Mind)
eros - Love that is erotic, passionate, and physical. (Body)

Profound, True, Love, is rooted in all three of the these.

Today, eros obviously reigns supreme. However, living only on eros is robbing you of the fullness that you could otherwise experience. Human being is mind, body and spirit. You cannot satiate the needs of mind and soul with what satiates the flesh.

Chip includes 12 salient points to consider in evaluating your relationship (which I recommend everyone consider before marriage if you truly seek a love that lasts). He provides 5 non-biblical arguments to avoid sex outside of marriage - again, to consider if you wish to find a love that lasts.

I do not agree with everything Chip presents here, most of which because I think mankind has misinterpreted much of what God communicates in the Bible. Many of the stories he relates seem to equate with experiencing the "wrath of God", but they are actually people experiencing the ravages of guilt. Perhaps guilt is a form of God's wrath... Regardless of those misgivings, I do fully agree that most people today have a warped perspective on love, sex and relationships.

If you take nothing from this book, try as hard as you can to "Walk in Love." And I would like to add to Chip's work and suggest we should all learn to:
Love everyone agape.
Love as many as possible in phileo,
Love one in eros.

If we could learn to do this, we would attain a far better understanding of God.

I leave you to ponder the meaning of this statement:
"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Substitute "me" with the statement of "I am."

"No man cometh unto the Father, but by the way, the truth, and the life."

You will truly know God when you live the way, the truth, and the life. Really think about all of what Jesus says in John 14.

Jesus told us 2000 years ago how to know God. Live like He did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships, January 4, 2004
Before reading this book I had a dear friend share with me on how much of a blessing it was to him. He was so excited about it that I had to order it the next day. When I opened the pages I had no idea of what to expect but I knew as I started reading it it was truly something different.
It opened my eyes to all that has gone wrong and why in my past relationships. I was hooked after reading hollywood's solution because it showed me what I had done wrong.
The more I read the more I wanted to read. When the truth is being ministered to you, you hunger for more. After reading this I wanted to purchase the book for everyone that I knew. It truly lifts the blinders off your eyes. Thank you Chris and Teresa for your devotion to those pages. They have made such an impact on my life and my views on relationships!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, April 20, 2005
Reader (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships (Paperback)
This book is terrific. It explains how our society gets into trouble by confusing sex and love. It explores the negative impact of sex outside of marriage. And it tells you how to maintain sexual purity and real love in a marriage. If you believe it and live it, it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new sexual revolution begins with YOU! a must read!!, June 24, 2004
Amazon Customer "333carole" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This book has changed my life and the lives of many around me. I didn't realize how caught up in the Hollywood ideal of "the american dream" I was. Chip details God's plan for all in regard to sexuality and leading a God-centered life. The way I date has now changed and I have begun the cause for the new Sexual Revolution. I did not realize how much my past dictated my future and those around me. A must read for all people! It will change our society as we know it. Abstinence is a must! Buy many copies and pass them on!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Helped Me, July 21, 2004
Every person, married or single should read and LIVE what Chip teaches in this book. I knew something was wrong with my dating life. Chip explained what and why. You must read this book and be open to allowing Christ to do His work in you. If you're serious, you'll be blessed. Buy it and Live it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE !!!, April 28, 2004
William H. Yarroll II (El Segundo, California United States) - See all my reviews
This book is probably the second most important book for everyone who is considering getting into a relationship , or is in one , next to the Bible itself . If the reader takes this prescription to heart and applys it to his or her own life , they will be on thier way to a very , very blessed life !!! Thank you Chip Ingram for such a wonderful blessing to the world !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars new perspective, August 15, 2007
This review is from: Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships (Paperback)
This book has changed my perspective on relationships, with potential mates and with God. I believe anyone could read this and see themselves, and know where they may have made mistakes in the past with relationships, and gain new hope. This is a must read for anyone seeking answers about God's way to approach love and relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a MUST READ, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships (Paperback)
I will admit that at first I was a little skeptical about reading what Chip Ingram had to saw about "Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships"... i figured it would be a book for prudes. But after a girl at my work repeatedly recommended it to me, I had to read it. This book has been the most eye-opening books i've ever read. Chip makes very valid points with very valid reasons, and he isn't just repeating scripture to you the entire time. Another great feature about this book is that it is for anyone--young, old, married, single, in a relationship--you name it, any one could learn something from what Chip has to say about love, sex, and lasting relationships. I have recommended it to 3 people already. MAKE TIME TO READ THIS--won't take long, and it is totally worth every second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood Syndrome, January 2, 2008
This review is from: Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships (Paperback)
I am a recovering Hollywood addict. For so long I searched for a book that could spell out to me why I pursued the "Brady Bunch" ideal for my life. This book does a great job of reeling me in and holding my attention. A great man (who has a great name by the way) recommended this book to me. He saw where my angst was coming from even though I was clueless, lol. We are so duped by the message of television and pop stars! The romance they teach our children is pure fiction and only leads to lonliness and discontent. This book reminds us that God can write a much better love story than we could ever do for ourselves. I am all for doing my part in the "REVOLUTION"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 10, 2007
This review is from: Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships (Paperback)
This is very easy to read and makes it very simple to understand how to have "Love, Sex, & Lasting Relationships" the way that God intended.

Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships
Love, Sex, and Lasting Relationships by Chip Ingram (Paperback - September 1, 2004)
$13.99 $11.98