Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Kisses that set the blood on fire, declarations of tears, pet names, a king who would throw himself at his lover's feet and kiss them, dying wishes, exciting letters from prison complete with escapes and letters written on the battlefield right before death. These are the types of letters and things discussed that make this a very exciting read.

Most of the men writing these letters were very talented and get your full attention. There are a few disappointments, mostly because the letters are too short. Also, two of the letters are written by women, not men! At the start of each section there is a short biography of the writer. I felt they were often more detailed than they needed to be but were very well done.

To start the book, John Adams speaks of the "unalterable Tenderness of My Heart." Sullivan Ballou states: "my love for you is deathless." The letter is so sad at times it brought tears to my eyes. The letter I truly loved was by Honorede Balzac. It is an intensely intimate letter. Oh, you could only wish a man would write you these words! I can only imagine the rapture Eva felt when she read his letter. I had to read it again.

While I had heard of Beethoven's "Immortal Beloved," here we read such a tragic letter where hopelessness and desire intertwine. Then onward to the very surprising angry letter from Napoleon to Josephine. Apparently she did not write him as often as he wished.

There is no letter by Scott Fitzgerald, in fact the only letter is from his Zelda. I don't know why the editor chose to do this. The letters from James Joyce, Mozart and Nathaniel Hawthorne were slightly disappointing. I expected so much more after the initial stunning letters. Mark Twain and Leo Tolstoy's letters were also very short.

Do not be surprised if you become a little jealous of these women who so captured the hearts of eloquent men. There are also letters by Robert Browning, Robert Burns, Lord Byron, Winston Churchhill, Pierre Currie, Victor Hugo, John Keats, Franz Liszt, Jack London, Robert Peary, Edgar Allen Poe, Sir Walter Raleigh, Robert Shumann, Dylan Thomas, Vincent Van Gough, Voltaire and Woodrow Wilson.

While it feels like you are peering into some secret world while reading on the Kindle, you might want the actual book so you can find letters more easily the second time. Sure you can bookmark them on the Kindle but is it really the same?

To be honest this is an extremely romantic collection of letters that seem to mean so much more than poems. Why anyone would wish for poems instead is beyond me. These letters express such heartfelt emotions and the bliss of new love. For me at least I finally realized how men experience love and it is especially beautiful. While reading you can somehow feel the happiness the recipient felt as she read the words for the first time. I myself had to go back and read a few love letters again, they were that delicious. This is a great deal for $5!

~The Rebecca Review
on January 8, 2012
I first listened to Love Letters of Great Men on an audiobook which was really nice because the person who read the book had an awesome English accent. The love letters that are in this book were written by notable men from the 1700's and 1800's. I especially enjoyed reading the letters of Mozart, Beethoven and Mark Twain. Love Letters of Great Men is a short book with a little less than 50 letters in it. The language and imagery used is so beautiful!
on May 5, 2013
I ordered this for my cousin's birthday. She is a big fan of SATC, and I thought it would go well with her complete collection of dvds, and the Henry Mancini record from the "Moon River" episode. When the book arrived, it was a lot smaller than expected, but it was still worth it to hear the squeal of happiness she emitted when she realized what it was. Inside the book were the love letters, but there were also short biographical descriptions of the men who wrote them. I am very pleased with the purchase, and so was she!
on October 13, 2009
It's amazing to see how romantic some of the famous men in history could be. For example, who would have guessed that William Amadeus Mozart (who is known for his musical prowess) would have written the following to his wife while he was on the road...

PS.-- while I was writing the last page, tear after tear fell on the paper. But I must cheer up -- catch! -- An astonishing number of kisses are flying about. The deuce! -- I see a whole crowd of them! Ha! Ha!... I have just caught three. They are delicious!

Some of my other favorite love notes from famous men include:

"I stay awake more of the night thinking of you, and by day I find my feet carrying me (a true word, carrying) to your room at the times I usually visited you; then finding it empty I depart, as sick and sorrowful as a lover locked out." Pliny the Younter to his wife, Calpurnia

"Wishing myself (specially an evening) in my sweetheart's arms, whose pretty dukkys I trust shortly to kiss. Written with the hand of him that was, is, and shall be yours by his will." Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn.

Too bad for Anne that Henry later so decidedly changed his mind! In any case, this is a delightful little read and highly recommended by me.
on July 1, 2012
What a beautiful collection of love letters from famous men from our past. Some elegant, some passionate, some explicit, some diffident. But all interesting for their literary content, and showing the fashion and culture of their time. From Napoleon Bonaparte, to Winston Churchill to Mozart, to Beethoven, back and forth in time and culture. A fascinating glimpse into the personal lives of these famous people. Highly recommended.
on February 15, 2013
I have to be honest, i got this because i saw it on the sex and the city movie and am a huge fan of both, and i just love sarah jessica parker. However, i feel slightly dissapointed with this. so much so, that i was going to return but missed the cut off date. It's just Eh.
on January 24, 2010
THE BOOK WAS A LITTLE SHORTER THAN I EXPECTED BUT THE LOVE LETTERS ARE VERY SWEET AND I LOVE THE BOOK. MY BOOK HOWEVER ALTHOUGH IT LOOKDED NEW DID HAVE ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE BLANK SPOTS SO I HAD TO TRY AND FILL IN THE WORDS MYSELF. IVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE ,. THE BOOK DID COME TO MY HOUSE QUICKLY
on July 3, 2012
I remember being touched by these poems being read by Carrie Bradshaw in sex and the city and thinking how lovely they were. We really needs to take a page from these authors and get back to feeling emotions in our lives and not just running frantically around. Beautifully written and touching.
on January 10, 2012
I enjoyed reading these. It reminded me that great men are great writers and that the love letters of great men would reflect this. You never think of men in power writing love letters, at least I rarely do, and I felt a bit like a kid reading a forbidden and secret diary when I was reading these. If you enjoy great writing and reading love stories you will get a huge kick out of reading the Love letters of Great Men.
on June 25, 2012
I still remember Carrie Bradshaw in the "Sex And The City" movie began reading love letters of Great Men. It took me by surprise when I realized how romantic these Great Men are. For example, Beethoven, Hugo Victor and Mozart. This is a very delightful read. Awesome!