Love Life
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$16.11+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

'Creating your own memories will give you something to share with the rest of us,' is one of the many pieces of advice Rob Lowe shares with his two boys. "Just say yes to life, and get out there and make those memories," is exactly what Rob Lowe has done. In his new memoir, he shares his life with his family, his career, and the current issues that encompass his life. This is a book that flows well, and keeps your interest.

Rob Lowe is not afraid to share his foibles along with the assessment of his own strengths and what he has learned in the business he loves. His stories are filled with well connected friends and names we will all recognize. One of his most poignant stories is about his time in rehab for his alcoholism. Another one of the people with him, well known with a great athletic career going for him, could not keep away from drugs, finally breaks down in the throes of the love and acceptance the group shows him. His story is so sad and powerful that complete silence follows, tears flow, and we hope this man is helped. This kind of story telling is laced throughout the book. Rob Lowe is a writer, with tales to tell.

We hear about Rob's romance with his now wife, Sheryl, and what it took for him to recognize that she was the woman for him. The stories of his days as a young male on the prowl is interspersed with stories of his professional life and what he has learned in his business. Ron's Lowe loves his life as an actor, and he is not afraid to take chances with roles that come his way. Dr. Startz in 'Behind The Candelabra' is one role with many fascinating stories behind it. The television series he has been part of, and what television has given to the acting business, contains a lot of wisdom and insight.

The most important role for Rob Lowe is that of a father. He loves his two sons, Matthew and Johnowen with every cell in his being. What he divulges is his life as a father, and how it has affected his life. The story of 'Bigfoot' and the summer in the Northwest, the day his son, Matthew leaves for college, and Lowe's crying jags, all reveal a man who so loves his family.

No real gossip, but a peak into a night at the Playboy Mansion is enlightening. He shares a little of his political life. He campaigned for Arnold Schwarzenegger, and still has ties to Maria Shriver and her family. He could be called a Libertarian if he accepted a label. However, he tells us he has no party affiliations, he votes for the best candidate. He believes in less government and personal freedom. His good looks have often been in the way for some of the roles he wanted, but he learned to compensate and to fight his way for what he wanted. One irritation I felt with the book is the introduction to his friends, they are old pal, long time, best buddy, most of them very well known and famous. I realize those are the people he knows, but he does not need the clarifiers.

Rob Lowe has a great wit, charm and ease within himself. His storytelling manner is filled with more insight than most people. And, once into this book, you realize this is more than just a pretty face. An actor, businessman, family man and husband are his achievements, and he lives for today.

Recommended. prisrob 04-08-14
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2014
You will be disappointed by this book if you are expecting a follow on to Stories I Only Tell My Friends. I thoroughly enjoyed Rob's first autobiography but I am having trouble getting through Love Life. If you are trying to break into the entertainment industry or looking for acting tips then this book is for you. If you are looking for an intimate life story sharing authentic stories and feelings then this book is not for you. The most authentic story Rob writes about his son Mathew not only leaving for college but also moving across the country. This is a story most can relate to and is beautifully written.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 3, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Rob Lowe's first book so much so that I never hesitated to pre-order this release as soon as it became available. I'm very glad I did.

Neither a fan nor critic of Mr. Lowe's onscreen work, I must say that I am very curious as to whether he has written these books on his own or with the help of another writer. This is only because I find the flow of his words so comfortable, entertaining and very often eloquent, that it seems as though he has wasted time in front of the camera instead of behind the pen.

I detest reviewers who insist on practically reproducing the entire book in their rewiews. This is the job of the reader - not a reviewer. I would hope that my endorsement or suggestion that you at least try a sample before judging the author would be helpful. It isn't Tolstoy (thank goodness), but it is a very enjoyable opportunity to share the experiences and observations of another individual. One who has had some pretty interesting experiences in his life.

The only anecdote I will mention involves his time in rehab and the story about Buck - a composite drawn from another person who was a participant in his sessions. The story of this heartbreaking and tragic individual is so well written that I found myself crying at the end of the chapter. I never, ever cry at the end of chapters. And this is why I'm so amazed at the level of writing. It actually moved me to tears.

If you're looking for dirt and garbage about other celebrities or entertainers, than I think you will be very disappointed. That is the job of TMZ, etc., not a fellow actor. What Mr. Lowe does is provide you with some glimpses into his profession, his family, his beliefs, success and failures. He does not paint himself in the warm glow of perfection. He is honest (I hope) and objective about the road he has taken to get where he is today - warts and all (although I have to believe that somewhere in his home there is an aging, horrific portrait taking its toll).

This really is a good book. It is the story of a very lucky man who worked his ass off to make it in one of the hardest professions one could ever attempt employment. He loves what he does, unabashedly worships his family, and is grateful for every day of his life. A winner all the way around.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Love Life by Rob Lowe follows his fascinating memoir Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography which was published in 2011. With the kind of rave reviews it received which catapulted the book to the top of the bestseller list, I’m sure there is bound to be a sense of disappointment with his second book. Not because it is poorly written or that it does not have great content worth reading, but living up to a certain degree of expectation or hype is a difficult thing to follow through. On that count, many readers will be frustrated.

Love Life is an absorbing, stimulating and thought-provoking read. It is a confirmation of the gift that Rob Lowe is bestowed as an author. What is particularly fascinating, and mostly likely to endear with readers, is the fact that he is open about his life, and is not unduly worried to talk about it. He is not the type to confine himself or his family within a limited protective shell. He lives quite a normal life, the kind of life that humans are meant to live. He has seen his own fair share of failures and successes and he is not about to discuss them or admit his mistakes. Reading the book opens new eyes with which to see him as he really is.

What is plainly clear is that he knows what he is writing, talking or doing. He has learned and unlearned many things in life and shares them with profound abandon. What I find particularly interesting is the part about his family. He also offered an exciting look into the world of television and movie. Love Life by Rob Lowe is the lessons of life that the author learned during his life’s journey. It is informative, entertaining and incredibly inspiring.
on July 11, 2014
I really loved his first book, as did many other readers. This book is somewhat of a rehash and not as compelling. He seems so full of himself and preachy. He's very articulate for someone who doesn't have an advanced education but the book jumps all over the place, in terms of subject matter. The rambling about his celebrity friends and his endless analysis of acting techniques is really annoying to read. There are some powerful gems in the book and some insightful passages, but it was disappointing as a whole entity. My overall sense of him is that he's a compassionate, thoughtful human being, but there is a side to him that seems a bit too impressed with his own mythology and it makes it hard to join him in that realm.
on April 10, 2014
I received "Love Life" yesterday and it does not disappoint. Like his first book, "Love Life" is refreshingly honest, and it's written in such a way that you feel like you're having a personal conversation with Lowe. This book truly has it all; it's interesting, insightful, hilarious, inspirational, and - at times, heartbreaking. I particularly enjoyed what he had to say about the importance of marriage and family. As an author, he's surprisingly relatable, and I think most readers will be able to identify with him on some level. I'd definitely recommend this book, whether you're already a fan of Rob Lowe or not. I became a fan after reading "Stories I Only Tell My Friends," and I believe this book will also leave people wanting to hear more of what he has to say.
on May 17, 2014
I enjoyed Rob Lowe's first book very much so expected his second to be almost as good and thankfully I was not disappointed. It is apparent in both books that Rob is a bit of a narcissist with a little histrionic thrown in but this is all ok with me because I still like him. He comes across as self-serving and somewhat of a know-it-all but still likeable, loving, insightful, intelligent, funny, kind and interesting. Best of all though is the fact that he doesn't mind dishing on Hollywood. He makes his memoirs interesting and doesn't mind name-dropping even when he doesn't actually use a name but you know the name just the same. His life is a little too perfectly tidy at times though and I found myself resenting him just a little for his obvious satisfaction with himself and all his acquired wisdom. He seems to want to portray himself as this enlightened individual who has achieved such happiness and understanding of which you can tell he is very proud. This is fine- I know I am just jealous of someone who seems to have it all. I don't begrudge him, I just found myself wondering at times: DOES HE S---? And how about his even-more-perfect-than-he-is wife- does she??? I am straying from the "review" here, I know...

This book is definitely interesting and a fun read if you are into Hollywood memoirs. Like I said before, he does a lot of name-dropping and interesting story telling about such topics as Vegas, Washington DC politics and presidents, the Playboy mansion, the Revolutionary War, Madonna, Bigfoot and so on and so forth. He talks a lot about his family and rehab and sobriety. A lot about his tv shows and characters as well as his experience with others on set. He seems to have gained a lot of insight through deep introspection and the transformative love of his wife and empowering relationships with his sons. One thing he could probably learn more of though is humility. Just a thought. He just seems to brag a lot. He comes across at times a little snobby and stuck up but at other times is rather insincerely self-depracating.

I found this book entertaining but it is a little confusing that he seems to go out of order- I couldn't tell much of the time what year he was discussing. Also, he uses the word "clearly" a little too much- his narratives could've possibly benefitted from some editing here. As in "Clearly, Rob Lowe needs a thesaurus so maybe he could make use of words such as 'apparently' or 'obviously' instead during some of these times."

He also seems a little cynical over the way Hollywood and the world have changed. I can understand and appreciate that- maybe not Hollywood since I don't work in that industry but as someone who has watched how movies and television have been changed (not always for the better) by advancing technology and social media and the internet and all that stuff...

This book is a quick read- someone could probably read it in one sitting. It could have used some more pictures. I always like seeing pictures. His little stories are amusing, especially when they involve other celebrities. I heard recently on the director's cut of the "MASK" dvd that Rob Lowe was seriously considered for the role of Rocky Dennis but lost to Eric Stoltz. I wondered why Rob Lowe didn't mention that in one of his memoirs? Maybe he's saving it for his third book which I will certainly buy. CLEARLY I love me some Rob Lowe despite all I've said here! Forgive me Rob for anything I've said which may come across as rude and offensive- I do love you!!!

If you find the price of this book a little high then you'd be just as well off waiting for it to come out in paperback. Used. In whatever condition is cheapest on Amazon. (Acceptable?) Rob's first book was worth paying the hard-cover price but this book can wait. That being said, I do think Rob is a great writer/storyteller. He is fun to read and I don't think there was ever a dull moment. Except when he gushes about how wonderful his wife and kids are. (VOMIT!) They come across as perfect and boring and not real- you almost want something evil to happen, if not to them then maybe at their hands... Again, my apologies, Rob, to you and your perfect family.
on May 5, 2014
I really liked his first book. There were times in this second attempt when I was interested enough to keep reading and other times when I skipped parts because it was too much back story that I had no interest in.
It sounded to me as if he was afraid to say anything other than positive things about those he mentioned this time around.
No one is perfect but he sure creates his wife and kids as if they are.
And he wasted pages writing about how he wanted to make this book better. Don't write about it - Just do it.
VINE VOICEon August 7, 2014
Love Life is a bit of a misleading title for Rob Lowe’s latest book. It’s not about his romantic love life. It’s about loving life. Rob has written a series of unrelated vignettes about events in his life. Some are very touching, like the one about his son going off to college. Some are funny and some make Rob look like an idiot. I love that he is not afraid to share any story – he doesn’t seem to have an ego problem at all.

He explains why he left the West Wing to do one horrible series after another and why those series were so bad. I love insider Hollywood information like that. My only complaint about this book is that unlike his previous book, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, he does NOT NAME NAMES! for the more scandalous stories – with the exception of Jewel. That story was hilarious. You’ll have to read the book for that one alone. Anyway, he does provide cryptic hints when he describes the person and with some Googling, I probably could have figured out who the people were. But I was listening to this book on a road trip and couldn’t justify pulling over to make notes of who I needed to look up later. However, I’m pretty sure that the girl he took with him to Warren Beatty’s house was Melissa Gilbert. So there’s one mystery solved for you!

I loved listening to Rob narrate this audio book. Obviously, he is the best person to tell his own stories. The book is already written in a very conversational style and having Rob himself read it to me made it that much better. And he is actually a pretty good impressionist for some of the celebrities in the book. Some of his accents were pretty terrible though but I just thought it was funny, not annoying.

The great thing about Rob Lowe is that after a brief downturn in the 90s, his career is stronger than ever and he remains such a downright nice guy. Watch any of his appearances on Ellen and you can totally tell that he is not faking his awesome attitude. Ahem. I may still be crushing on him after all these years. Children of the 80s, this book is for you. Fans of West Wing, Parks and Rec, Californication or Behind the Candelabra, this book is for you too. Rob Lowe fans unite!
on September 1, 2014
By the title of the book you might assume that this book is full of dirty details of Rob Lowe's 'love life'. However it's not until you crack open the book when you realize that while it is a book about his love life, it's not dirty. Rob Lowe has a lot of loves in his life: his career, his family, his friends, and his wife. In this book he talks about them all. From his early days in Hollywood, to sending his son off to college.

There are moments in this book that I felt that Rob was being real, completely vulnerable and laying his cards on the table for all to see. He has some amazing stories to tell, and he does some great impressions of his friends. There are other times when I did question how 'real' he was being. Whether he intentionally vamped up a story to make it more interesting. Despite all that this was a great audio book to listen to. I can imagine that it is hard to open up the highs and lows of your life for scrutiny, and I appreciate his willingness to do so. He definitely has some amusing tales to tell. More than that, he has some heartwarming tales to tell. Especially about sending his first born off to college.

I'm very picky about the memoirs I listen to, and I'm so glad I chose this one. I did mainly because St. Elmo's Fire was and still is one of my favorite movies. Every time I watch that movie, it transports me back to the first time I watched it many years ago. So few movies do that to me. It was also my first introduction to Rob Lowe. Love Life gave me the chance to learn more about the actor behind the movie.