4.0 out of 5 stars Love, Marriage, Divorce, Friendship, Etc......
Published 5 months ago by J. Highsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a bitter person CD!
All I can say it wow... This is the CD you play when you are in a unhappy situation or going thru the motions!!!!!
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, Marriage, Divorce, Friendship, Etc......, February 5, 2014
J. Highsmith (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
Before I start my review, I would like to say that this album isn't just for couples that are married and happy, married and going through things, married and on the verge of a divorce, etc. Anyone that has been in a platonic friendship, a friends with benefits arrangement, a relationship, etc. can relate to this album in general. This album deals with any kind of connection that you may have with the opposite sex. In any friendship, relationship, marriage, etc. there will be good times, bad times and everything in between. This is clearly summed up on the album's 1st track, "Roller Coaster". The ride will be bumpy, it will go up sometimes and it will come down sometimes. You have no idea what can or will happen on a day to day basis. This is one of my favorite songs on here. "Sweat" deals with taking the argument the only place where it needs to go sometimes, which is in the bedroom, on the floor, or whatever you may prefer. Taking out stress in other ways can help sometimes. The lead single, "Hurt You", is the best that I have heard from either artist in years. When you hear the chemistry, you are reminded of their original duet from 22 years ago, "Give U My Heart", which was featured on the "Boomerang Soundtrack". They are expressing their feelings in what becomes an ideal situation in some relationships and marriages these days and they do a good job of expressing their side in what happened in both of their eyes and you get both perspectives. On Babyface's solo effort, "I Hope That You're Ok", he is saying that he can't be in this relationship anymore but he still hope that she is Ok as possible with everything that has been going on. He can't see the relationship lasting but he still wishes her well. On "I Wish", Toni doesn't feel the same way. She is wishing ill will to her mate because of all of the pain that he has caused her. Her tune may change in the future but as of right now, she has nothing positive to say at all. She hopes that in his next relationship that his woman treats him the same way that he treated her. "Take It Back" has them talking about taking things back to when they were happy and making love and trying to forget about their current situation that has them on the verge of ending everything altogether. "Reunited" focuses on the couple trying to get back to the basics of everything that made the relationship work in the beginning and trying to focus on the positive. They are attempting to leave the negative behind and trying to make everything work the way it did before. On Toni Braxton's 2nd solo track, "I'd Rather Be Broke", she is in a state of mind where she just wants the relationship to end by any means necessary. She'll do whatever she has to do to make that happen. If she has to pay for the divorce, she is fine with that. If she has to make concessions just so that everything can be over with and final, that is her goal at this point. I was caught off guard by "Heart Attack" because I was expecting another ballad or mid tempo track. They speed things up at this point as Babyface ends up randomly seeing a woman that he knows that he seems to know very well. He gets closer to her and he realizes that it is his ex. They go back and forth on the track, which is one of the better tracks on this album. "The D Word" summarizes this CD in its entirety as the 2 parties know that they will always love each other in the back of their minds but they still have to contemplate whether or not it is time to really end things or to try to make things work one last time.

In conclusion, you end up getting 11 tracks: 8 duets, 2 Toni Braxton solo songs and one Babyface solo track. I can honestly say that this is the best that I have heard either artist in years. If you are a fan of either artist and you have the majority of their work in your CD collection, this will be a welcome addition to your CD collection. They don't deviate from the title of the CD at all but the work will speak for itself.

Highsmith's Top 5

1) Hurt You
2) Roller Coaster
3) Heart Attack
4) The D Word
5) Where Did We Go Wrong

4.0 out of 5 stars Back In The 90's Groove, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
The 90s brought us tons of good music, including a shift in the dynamic of R&B and Urban Sound. At the forefront of that cresting wave was Kenny ‘Babyface’ Edmonds, who with his partner in crime, LA Reid, completely changed the game. One of their greatest collaborations brought us the explosion of Toni Braxton- who even after falling on hard times was still the most successful of the sultry sirens to emerge from the decade.

After a long break, the two finally reunite and yeah- the magic is still there. Musically this cd is like stepping into a time machine and going back twenty years to that silver age of R&B. Nothing’s changed; it’s like slipping into your favorite shirt and lounging around the house. The beats and rhythms are an absolute groove, no doubt. Yet this ain’t a cd for the faint of heart. None of the lighter, almost vapid ‘love you-love you more’ lyrics we used to get. This one’s all about the trials and tribulations of being in and out of love… and how love isn’t always enough. If the title itself and songs like “I’d Rather Be Broke”, “Hurt You” and “Where Did We Go Wrong” don’t tell you what’s going on, check some of the lines from the first cut “Roller Coaster”:

‘Cause I love you/hate you
don’t want/but want too
Back and forth and back
What should we do?

And here’s a taste of “Hurt You”:

Loving you has caused me so much pain
But you don’t see it; you never see it
So why apologize?
I was just doing what I had to do, baby
An eye for an eye
God knows I never meant to turn you on/turn you out
Never meant to take it that far
Baby, guilty as charged; I’m not gonna lie
I did you wrong so many times
So I know why you cross the line
Oh girl, but I never dreamed you cheat on me

This one’s strictly Adults Only. And you’'re gonna like it. Yessir.

5.0 out of 5 stars And Music is Back!, February 4, 2014
This album was great. Two great artists combined to make a hit album. A great buy...words are powerful....true to life. Definitely brought R & B back.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wait is Over and Well Worth the Wait! R&B! Toni Braxton and Babyface Finally!!!!, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
The entire CD is Superb! Of course I have my favorite cuts (Rollercoaster, Sweat, D-Word, Reunited, Are You Okay.......) They did a superb job!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in LOVE with this album, February 4, 2014
I am a fan of both Babyface and Toni Braxton and this album does not disappoint. The mixture of melodies and the chemistry that their voices have is purely a breath of fresh air. I am leaving this on repeat for a while!

5.0 out of 5 stars An R&B Masterpiece!, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
R&B Legends Toni Braxton and Babyface have crafted a masterpiece with their collaboration album: Love, Marriage, & Divorce. It’s truly a smooth album from beginning to finish. When I put it on, I love every song from beginning to end. They tackle subjects on love, hate, unity, disunity, marriage, and everything in between. The melodic, operatic, Anita Baker-ish classic vocals of Toni Braxton blend great with crooner Babyface. This is one for the history books, purchase this album. You will enjoy it!

My Favorite Tracks:

I Hope That You’re Okay
Heart Attack

5.0 out of 5 stars The comeback of real R&B., February 4, 2014
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
With the first listen I was sold on this album. The two R&B legends voices really blend in together nicely .

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC FROM START TO FINISH!, March 4, 2014
John T. Borek "Johny B." (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love, Marriage & Divorce (Audio CD)
WOW!, OMG! It's very rare these days to find an album,CD, that is incredible from start to finish. This is one of the few and it is fantastic. Toni's voice is as beautiful if not more than she has ever been. It's deeper, more emotional and sounds made to order with Babyface's voice. His voice is as tender and soothing as it has always been. This album is everything that a record buyer is looking for. The album tells a story, has beautiful music and lyrics. The arrangements and production is superior to most anything out there these days. Not a filler song on this album. Who could ask for more? This is the kind of album that is a pleasure to spend your money on, for you are getting an album full of wonderful music that you can play over and over and will sound just as good in two years and five years as it does today. Not many of the new artist and their albums can say that. Finally, an album to love for all the right reasons. Let's hope they decide to do this again, and soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, February 9, 2014
I love this CD. It is R&B perfection. I can not wait until they bring their tour to my city!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Amazing!, February 6, 2014
This album gives me everything that I need right now! It feels good to actually hear real music again! Toni's inflections are amazing! Baby face gives that smooth, sweet tone and I melt!! They have proven themselves true VETERANS with staying power!

Love, Marriage & Divorce
Love, Marriage & Divorce by Babyface (Audio CD - 2014)
Rate and Discover Movies