Love? Maybe.

Chapters: 21

Pages: 267

Genre: Teen chick lit

Rating: 4 stars

Piper is a teenage girl who even though she was born on Valentine's Day she still is critical of love. After seeing her mother gets divorced twice Piper doesn't believe in love or happy ever after. Her friends try to convince her to give dating a try. Claire and Jillian don't understand her someone so young could be so against love. Her best guy friend Charlie and next door neighbor has always been there for her, doesn't understand why Piper in Ben the most popular guy in school.

Love? Maybe was a cute main stream teen fiction I don't remember any cuss words in it. Piper is a teenage girl who grows and learns a lot through the novel. To me the cover was cute and I've always been partial to stories that include the boy next door.
on May 21, 2012
Format: Hardcover
My Thoughts: Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a light breezy romance. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a story that features a candy shop or a flower shop. This book had it all!

We are introduced to Piper who was born on Valentines Day. Every girls dream right? Wrong! Piper is very cynical and isn't thrilled with the whole candy/flowers/romance on Valentines Day. She couldn't care less.

Who can really blame Piper? Her father left her, her step father left her, she's afraid of being left again.

Piper and her two best friends make up a plan. A plan to get their dream dates, all with a magical spell. Is magic even real they wonder? It's worth a shot. We also see a lot of a boy named Charlie who is Piper's next door neighbor.

Each girl picks out a girl they will try to get, and go from there. When the most popular boy at school takes an interest in Piper, she is happy to go along with it. Happy enough anyway. He is after all Ben Donovan!

Piper also works at a candy shop where she helps create new flavors. Her mom owns the flower shop next door.

This was a bit predictable but still enjoyable. From the moment Piper gets surprise gifts in her locker, I had my heart set on who it was. I also loved the family aspect of Love Maybe. I loved her mom and her cute brother and sister.

Love Maybe was a really cute novel. You should read this one during the summer or around Valentine's Day to really get the full effect of it.

Overall: I really loved it. It could have been a little more creative, as I knew what was going to happen before it happened, but it was still the right kind of book for my mood. If you're in the mood for a romance book, this is it! If you don't like all the kissing in books, than this is for you. It was a pretty clean YA book.

Cover: Really like the candy hearts! And the shape!

What I'd Give It: 4/5 Cupcakes
____________
Review Taken From Princess Bookie
VINE VOICEon March 10, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Piper's birthday may be on Valentine's Day--but that does not mean she's a romantic. In fact, with all the relationships that she's seen fall apart, both her own and those of people close to her, she's not even sure that she believes in love at all. But when her best friend's heart gets broken and her other best friend devises a plan that is sure to give them all a perfect Valentine's Day, Piper knows it's her duty as a friend to go along with the plan, no matter how skeptical she is about the results. Between dealing with her family at home, drama at school, and evenings helping at a candy shop, the weeks leading up to the big day are going to test Piper's patience, her friendships, and even her long-held cynicism. Love is definitely in the air, and this time, it just might be meant for Piper, if she can come to accept that.

Love? Maybe. is a sweet and charming read, although it wasn't quite the story that I thought it would be. When I first heard about this book, I thought it would be about a bit of a snarky and cynical girl who was completely resistant to love until she finds herself in it. In actuality, Love? Maybe. is a more thoughtful read that deals with Piper's changing relationships with her family and friends in addition to her romantic drama. Although the story wasn't as humorous as I wanted it to be, I liked the direction in which Hepler took this story. She goes quite in depth into the nature of Piper's relationships with almost everyone around her and how these have in the past and still affect her life. This makes for a very realistic and touching, if not always the most engaging, read. In all, I quite enjoyed reading Love? Maybe. for its sweet story and ultimately hopeful ending.

Love? Maybe. is sure to appeal to readers who also enjoyed The Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski, A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian, and For Keeps by Natasha Friend.
Format: Hardcover
Piper Paisley doesn't believe in love, so it's ironic that her birthday just happens to be on Valentine's Day. She's seen in mother hurt from love. Piper's biological father left when she was young, and her younger sibling's father, Beau, left as well. Her best friends, Claire and Jillian, go with her to Montrose, a private school while one of her best guy friends and next door neighbor, Charlie, goes to a public school.

She works for Jan at his candy store and is constantly giving her friends and family candy from the store. Jan worries that she's becoming cynical, especially when Piper creates Consternation Hearts. As a result of Clair being dumped by her boyfriend, Jillian creates a plan where all three of them are going to find boyfriends. They create a truffle, Love Potion Number 9, that each of them will give to two boys.

Piper doesn't really want to do the Plan but does it so it will cheer up Claire. Piper starts getting presents in her locker. At first, she thinks her friends are doing it but later thinks Ben Donavon is doing it. She has a massive crush on Ben, and he actually asks her out on a date? She should be happy but she can't stop herself from feeling slightly jealous when she sees Jillian flirting with Charlie. Will the Plan work and help Piper realize love is worth the risk of being hurt?

I love reading seasonal books. I felt bad for Piper. It's hard to see the bad sides of love and not feel somewhat cynical towards it. I liked Charlie a lot. I wish he was more in the book. It seemed he was always there when Piper needed him. There were sometimes where I thought the story was slow, but I really enjoyed this one and can't wait to read more by Heather.
on June 20, 2012
Yay Heather Hepler!!

After reading Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler, I realized that I quite like bakery/candy themes - and what luck! Love? Maybe has a candy shop and a flower shop!

Piper is cynical about Valentine's Day, but her friends are convinced they can all find Valentine dates. She kind of goes along with them, and they create a love truffle they feed to unsuspecting boys in attempts to find love.

This was a really solid contemporary read, and excellent for Valentine's Day. The majority of the plot happens in Jan's candy shop (which, LOVE Jan and his fatherly ways), so as the reader we get to imagine chocolates and heart candies and bins of jawbreakers and and and.

Piper is a very solid character, battling between her own life and taking care of her brother and sister when her mother (who owns a flower shop) is too busy. She is a very realistic character, and each of the other characters are well rounded too.

Overall I really enjoyed this one and am so glad I have The Cupcake Queen (cupcakes!!), another Hepler book, already on my shelf!
on March 24, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
High school teen ager Piper Paisley lives with her single mom, brother and sister and works after school at Jan's candy shop. When her friends try to create a love potion to put in some chocolate for the guys they want to be their Valentine, things get complicated. This is a fun romance with twists and turns. I love the desert references and all of the flavor descriptions of various fruits and vegetables that are put into the candy at the shop. I also love all of the humorous dialogue as well as the serious side of the aftermath of divorced parents. It is a wonderful and fun story.
on January 20, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I disliked nothing in this book.It is possibly the best book I have ever read!So romantic an dramatic,it captured my heart.i laughed,I cried,I questioned.I recommend this book to anyone who has a warm heart.
on January 15, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I love this book. I would recommend this to everybody. If u love books about love, read this. I loved it!
on January 12, 2014
Format: Paperback
Yes, it's cheesy. And yes, it's predictable. And no, I would not want to be seen in public reading this book (that cover! ARGH). But honestly, who cares? Love? Maybe. is well-done in its clichedness, and I enjoyed reading it, and that's all that matters.

Even though this book seems very much like straight-up romance, it doesn't have the typical romance-feel to it. Rather than one love story, it's a bunch of smaller ones, even if Piper's takes the main focus. Piper's mom and her friends Claire and Jillian each have their own story, and I love how they all work together. The secondary characters are well-developed and add a lot to the novel.

Piper, though, is what makes this book awesome. She's not your typical YA heroine. She's cynical, but not in a hopeless, unrealistic way; her feelings are very relatable. I don't even know how to describe her; I just loved her so much. She's a little oblivious, but I didn't mind, because I guess that's the point. And yes, the romance is completely predictable, but when it's well-done, with fun quirks and details like the ones in Love? Maybe., I don't mind predictable romances at all.

And of course, the candy. Piper works in a candy store, and a large part of the book is set there. I don't think I need to explain why that makes this book awesome.

Love? Maybe. is in no way deep or meaningful, and it's a story that's been done a million times before. But the writing is clever and fun, and the characters are fully-developed and unique, making this book stand out from all those cutesy romances. If you're looking for a quick, entertaining read, you should definitely give Love? Maybe. a try.
on October 4, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I loved this it is perfect for preteens or teens its awsome. you read thids because dramtic and funny at the same time. Read it !!!!!!!