5.0 out of 5 stars No Hype: A Major Talent! (Buy it for yourself or a friend!)
Published on May 15, 2000 by M. Allen Greenbaum

2.0 out of 5 stars I JUST DON'T HEAR WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS!!!
Before I begin, I must say in preface that I know my opinion is in the extreme minority. my feelings about Diana Krall are not coming from somebody who doesn't know anything about Jazz. With all of that said, I will say that Ms. Krall as a pianist is top rate, showcasing much with a style that is all her own but also harkens back to the wonderful years gone by,...
Published on September 5, 1999 by Anthony Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars No Hype: A Major Talent! (Buy it for yourself or a friend!), May 15, 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
I have to admit I was suspicious of the hype surrounding Diana Krall's "Love Scenes." Just about everybody loves her. Almost overnight, Diana Krall became synonymous with "jazz singer," just as Frank McCourt became synonymous with "Irish writer" after the publication of "Angela's Ashes." I suspect this caused a backlash among some jazz fans who (partly because of the nature of jazz, constantly rebuilding upon itself) are especially conversant in jazz lineage and eager to compare styles.

Well, just as Frank McCourt is not the last word in Irish literature, Diana Krall is decidedly not Billie Holiday (a ridiculous comparison) or Sarah Vaughan. In fact, not knowing too many other jazz vocalists might even enhance your appreciation of "Love Scenes." You have to appreciate her on her own terms; fortunately, this is easy to do.

So why is she getting the attention? For starters, her subtle intonations and phrasing make ordinary words sound onomatopoetic: Listen to "Garden in the Rain," and you'll hear the crisp fresh sound of springtime. Her vocal dynamics are superb, knowing when to pull back and when to let her voice soar. And her acheingly beautiful "I Don't Stand A Ghost of a Chance with You" is the best version I've heard since Clifford Brown's instrumental masterpiece.

"Peel Me a Grape" is fun and sexy, but you'd have to be a bad singer to ruin Dave Frishberg's (1962) clever list of double entendres! ("New Thunderbird me, you heard me.") Still, Ms. Krall delivers the goods, and teasingly drops a couple of words as she stretches the phrase "Peel Me...."

Her remarkable swinging but subtle piano can be overlooked: Just listen to the confidently daring solos on "They Can't Take That Away from Me" and "How Deep is the Ocean (How High is the Sky)" and you'll appreciate her artistry. The arrangements, as well as the comping on guitar (Russell Malone) and bass (Christian McBride) are consistently strong.

She's not as complex or as blues-inflected as other vocalists, but she IS a superb jazz singer. Like the best jazz musicians, she adds new colors and shadings to standards, and swings both vocally and instrumentally. She is less the jazz vocalist on her recent "When I Look Into Your Eyes," which is overproduced, apparently overdubbed, and veers way too close to a bland pop style. Let's hope that future efforts are closer to "Love Scenes," a deservedly much praised album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Continues to Impress, May 5, 2000
C. E. Miles (O'Fallon, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
After buying Diana's "All for you" album I took a shot on "Love Scenes". I have to admit I was not dissapointed. I am a big fan of a good love song, and Diana does a great job of putting her own special stamp on these old favorites. I recently had the pleasure to see her in concert (if you have the chance to see her live, I highly recommend it) where she performed many tunes from this album. I couldn't wait to get home and pop this CD in the stereo. Her soft sultry voice lends a great deal of passion and emotion to each song, from the fun and enjoyable "Peel Me a Grape" to the warm and soft "Gentle Rain". I realize that my taste tends to cover a range of artist (Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Mel Torme, Rosemary Clooney, and Keely Smith) but I wouldn't be afraid to recommend this recording to anyone..

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Diana, October 8, 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
Diana Krall has done for modern vocal jazz what no other artist could do. She is the only artist I have heard that can come even close to matching the great sounds of Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bessie Smith. Her CDs are full of vibrant emotion that truly digs at your heart strings. This CD is a particularly great example of her ability to appeal to your sense of love and emotion. I bought this CD because I had previously bought, When I Look In Your Eyes which I think is probably slightly better than this album but just because this album is very one-tracked at times. (I'll get a review up of that album one of these days.)
Diana's soft sultry voice starts out with one of my favorite songs of all time, "All Or Nothing At All" and manages to do this great swing song more justice than just about anyone else I have heard. Choosing a favorite track is hard but I would probably have to choose this first track. "Peel Me A Grape" has a great very invigorating sound to it. Some of her best efforts on the album though are actually on some of the slower numbers like "Garden In The Rain" where her vocal control and the lovely sound of her voice truly comes out. She of course does a Berlin classic, "How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky)", where she also shows off her keyboard skills and a Gershwin classic, "They Can't Take That Away From Me" which she does with all the independence and strength she can muster. This CD is very slow and quiet especially on number like "I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You" where she almost sounds like a ghost herself, but it is not going to put you to sleep. Every single sound is filled with her raw erotic emotion that makes you feel like every song is sung for you individually.
It is also very important to stress that Diana is backed up on this album by the wonderful bassist, Christina McBride, and the guitarist, Russell Malone. Whose sounds add a great backup to Diana's wonderful voice. The instruments are used sparingly but do a great job of accentuating the already wonderful sounds produced by Diana's vocal chords.
If you like this CD which if you have a taste for music I am sure you will then I highly recommend you check out Diana's other albums especially When I Look In Your Eyes. To find anything else similar to this sound I think you have to go back in time. The three artists mentioned above, Ella, Bessie, and Billie are other good artists to check out.
I highly recommend this album to anyone who really likes soft powerful vocal jazz and blues. This album is especially great to put on when you're sitting down with your loved one for a quiet night alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old-time love songs for the modern generation, November 17, 2002
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
Diana has a lovely voice, well suited to these romantic songs, but she is also a brilliant pianist, although this latter skill is more obvious on the very different, upbeat King Cole Trio tribute album. This album creates it's own mood - if you aren't in the mood for love when you start playing it, you surely will by the end.
The songs are mostly from the thirties and forties (a characteristic of all Diana's albums to date), beginning with All or nothing at all, an American number one for Frank Sinatra in 1943.
Diana also does brilliant covers of songs which were originally American hits for Peggy Lee (I don't know enough about you, 1946), Fred Astaire (They can't take that away from me, 1937), I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you (Bing Crosby, 1933), You're getting to be a habit with me (Bing Crosby, 1934), How deep is the ocean (in 1932, three different versions were top ten American hits - Guy Lombardo, Paul Whiteman and Rudy Vallee), Garden in the rain (Gene Austin, 1929) and Shep Fields (That old feeling, 1937).
Of course, some of those singers and bands have long since been forgotten even in their homeland, while others have been immortalised. Diana's covers of these great songs, nicely updated for today's music fans, demonstrates their enduring quality.
I largely ignored jazz music and the Great American Songbook before I discovered Diana's music. This was the album that changed everything for me - I have since become a huge fan of Peggy Lee and Claire Martin, among many others.
Thank you, Diana.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a Diana Krall backlash happening????, September 21, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
Wow...three bad reviews of Diana Krall, all by purported "jazz lovers" and "experts". Gee, you played with someone who played with Billie Holiday...I guess that does make you an expert. Why, pray tell, does Diana have to be "better than" Billie, or Ella, or Nina or Carmen? Why can't she just be Diana? And what she is is an absolutely magnificent vocal stylist and world-class pianist. Instead of your preconceived notions of what jazz "should be", why not just listen to these tracks for their soul, their passion and their beauty? I had the pleasure of seeing Diana Krall and her trio in Phoenix 9/20, and she's even better in person! Full of personality, humor...what a great show. So listen folks, I love the traditional jazz greats, too, but Ms. Krall is an artist for the nineties, and it's really too bad you can't appreciate her. For the rest of you (the one's who still have some semblance of a soul left), go buy the entire Krall catalogue, and definitely catch her live. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars For music lovers only!, January 14, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
Man! I was channel surfing (half-asleep) and came upon a Studio 54 session with Diana. Talks about luck. I had never heard of her before this, but when I surfed by, I immediately perked up and stopped right THERE!
I knew I was onto something special.
Now, I don't care what you call it (my tastes are eclectic), but I know what I like and I LIKED it. No... I loved it! And I'm not alone. Just days later (after I rushed out and bought the album) I went to a store that was displaying a widescreen TV, and just happened to be showing the high-def HBO loop of the Newport Jazz Fest performance of Diana. I was not surpised to see the group that gathered around the set, drawn by the elegant sound of Ms Krall. I happily answered questions as to the identity of this wonderful artist, and I'm sure sent a few on their way to buy this album!
My favorite piece, Peel Me a Grape, is guaranteed to steam up the windows. Lower the lights and listen with your significant other!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this CD now!, June 26, 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
Diana Krall is my favorite contemporary jazz musician. I can't say enough good things about her. Her piano playing is impeccable, her voice sultry and alluring, and her music so soothing and involving. I love this album and play it constantly. Once you listen to this album, you'll want all her CDs just like I did! I love the ambiance on this recording. The better the audio system you have, the better this recording sounds. It gives an intimate and detailed rendition of Diana's wonderful voice. I've heard her in person and she's even better live, if you can believe that. After the concert, I overheard a gentleman saying, "Wow! She can sing for me anytime." This is a perfect album to show off your stereo, relax to, or enjoy a romantic dinner with. I give "Love Scenes" my highest recommendation as a music lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars About as perfect as hubby's "North", May 17, 2004
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
I have not purchased the new CD by the husband-wife team of Diana Krall and Elvis Costello but am planning to do so. Both have long been in my vocal top ten for sheer talent, originality and musicality. You never know what to expect from such a hyped offering but for once, I was not disappointed. There is something interesting and lovely in ever single track. From the sexy "Peel me a Grape" to the fantastic "Garden in the Rain" these are extremely intelligent interpretations of several old classics.
One almost wants to enter that smoke-filled bar, order a Martini and take a seat. The piano-playing complements the vocals and that is another reason to like this album. With so many rap and hip-hop "singers" abounding who can neither read music nor play a musical instrument, it is refreshing to find an artist who can do both effortlessly. Wonderful, soulful sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krall is A Journey of Soul, Delights, and Sensation!, October 4, 2000
W Heaberlin Jr. (Apple Valley, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
What a wonderful cd. Anyone who has heard her {"Peel Me A Grape") will know what the heart of this cd contains.... desire being realized. I have over the last year become entranced with the music of Dianne Krall and found her utterly delightful. Her music runs the gamut of emotions. At the office, I have played her "Peel Me A Grape " song and asked people who did not know her to describe what she looks like. No one has ever been correct. They all think she is an elderly African American woman who is huge. Anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing her in person or on her cd covers knows that this is not the case. Not only does she have a beautiful voice, she plays the piano even better. If you do not know this artist - but one of her cds. It does not matter which one. In time you will have to have all of her works. She is a true artist, a storyteller, a bender of verse, and a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, August 29, 2000
martin l. fahey (Vienna, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
AWESOME should not be said for anything that happens to be above average. AWESOME should be reserved for such spectular happenings as the eruption of Mount Saint Helens, Steve Yeager breaking the sound barrier, Roger Bannister breaking the four minute mile, and Diana Krall rewriting the jazz scene. After listening to this and three other of her CD's, I purchased tickets to see her, with Tony Bennett, in concert. That concert should have been recorded. I would be the first in line to purchase that CD. Being a musician myself, I can appreciate the style of her phrasing. Diana Krall is the best thing to hit the jazz scene since Ella. Diana Krall can be described in two words; simply AWESOME.

Love Scenes
Love Scenes by Diana Krall (Audio CD - 1997)