5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth
Published on September 10, 2001 by jumpy1

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay.
I couldn't finish it truthfully. The author seems to be stretching it out with over detailing descriptions throughout the novel.
Published 20 months ago by Jamie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth, September 10, 2001
jumpy1 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Sue William Silverman reveals herself so honestly, I can only admire her. It seems trite to say she is "courageous" but yet cannot think of a better word. (I don't think I'd be able to do it!) And she does it with so much insight that telling it all has a real purpose and is not self pity. She clearly has come through a lot and is to be commended for sharing her newfound insight with those of us who are too good at hiding the truth to get proper help! I spent some years living a sexually compulsive life and have found the path away from it to be long. At this point I can't even recognize myself, I've changed so much, but still found reading this book to be very healing and affirming, and that her insight helped clarify some issues that have come up for me, as I deal with the truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silverman's writing takes you with her., February 22, 2003
By A Customer
When I picked up this book, it was because I was curious about how something as common and ordinary as sex could be an addiciton. I assumed that only perverts and creepy old men were "sex addicts". Silverman brought her recovery as a female sex addict into focus in a way that can only be described as deeply intimate. I felt myself right by her side during each of the 28 days of her treatment (and chapters), crying when she was writing about her "addictwoman," her lonliness, and her search for "family." Her writing allows for a deep sense of understanding and familiarity with the part of her that has controlled her life. For anyone woman has ever even joked about being "addicted" to love, men, relationships or sex, this book will certainly move you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous and Compassionate Memoir, September 14, 2005
Review of Love Sick: One Woman's Journey Through Sexual Addiction by Sue William Silverman (Norton, 2001) Memoir. ISBN: 0-393-01957-8

What is sexual addiction? How does one recover from this addiction? Sue William Silverman answers these questions in her heartbreaking and heartwarming autobiography. Even if a reader does not experience an addiction of any kind, no time is wasted while reading the book because the prose is so expertly crafted.

In her first book Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You, (University of Georgia Press, 1996) Sue William Silverman writes about the childhood sexual abuse she experienced. She had an incestuous father and a complicit mother. The tragedy of incest leaves any child feeling that she is unlovable, and the confusion that sex equals love. The incest was woven with the elements of secrecy, danger, and destruction. In Love Sick, Sue shows the reader how those elements became a blueprint for her relationships.

As with any addiction, sexual addiction is a narrow one-dimensional drive serving only to feed itself. Sue was starved for real love as a child, so she uses unhealthy behaviors to search for love; she literally does not know better because she was not shown unconditional care. In college, she is caught in an affair with an emotionally unavailable married man, who has a son her own age. She also meets (for sex) a random obscene phone caller who is a stranger. Incest leaves the victim with instinct askew, so Sue literally believes that this strange caller was meant to meet her to show her how loveable she really is. Sue later marries Andrew, and confesses: "I first had sex with Andrew while married to someone else." Andrew is unable to comprehend Sue's turmoil except in terms of how it affects her role as his wife. He says, "I'm tired of shouldering all the responsibility. She could at least try to get a job teaching..."

Sue's primary responsibility becomes recovery from childhood abuse and its ramifications. After trial and error therapy with ten counselors, Sue meets a therapist named Ted. He learns that Sue cannot will herself to stop seeing yet another married man, even while she is married to Andrew. Ted says, "Love doesn't result in sitting alone in motel rooms. Addiction results in sitting alone in motel rooms." Ted encourages Sue to enter a facility with a program for sex addicts. Sue learns that she is as much a predator (searching for love via sex) as she is a victim. She writes, "I am not your victim because you are not a predator any more than a bottle of scotch stalks an alcoholic." That sentence offers enlightening information regarding the vicious cycle of addictions. Sue offers the reader reasons to have compassion for those struggling with sexual addiction by giving us glimpses into the psyches of others in the facility. During the recovery program, Sue searches her soul for genuine feelings that are not in context with a man.

As an author and advocate, I read this book twice: once to become informed about sexual addiction (or any addiction) in reference to victims of abuse, and again for the creative writing that Sue William Silverman is so keenly able to craft.
review by Lynn C. Tolson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, July 9, 2004
By A Customer
This book was helpful to me in understanding my wife, who is a sex addict. It was insightful to read the words of the author who suffers from the same compulsion and how it has governed her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars sex is not how to find love, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction (Paperback)
This book described me and my life. If you have suffered incest, rape, divorced parents or dysfunctional family patterning that set you on a path in search of that "love high" then this book is for you.

If you have ever applied the term "looking for love in all the wrong places" to yourself and you have had sex with many "wrong" people in order to be loved (if only for a few hours) then you will find yourself described on every page of this painfully honest, brilliantly written and enlightening book.

Thank you Sue for writing about an addiction that is more about love than sex and is as powerful and destructive as any other. An addiction that is, when rarely spoken about, completely misunderstood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Sick:One Woman's Journey trough Sexual Addiction, June 8, 2010
WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT WHO YOU ARE,READ IT. YOU WILL GET THE ANSWER.I DID!

5.0 out of 5 stars a courageous woman with an important message, August 30, 2005
I stumbled upon this book by accident and am very glad I did. Even though I don't have this addiction that Sue Silverman describes, I still find it a fascinating account. For one thing, addiction, in general, is such a part of our culture, that Silverman is, in a way, describing more than "one woman's journey." She describes the way so many of us live addicted lives, regardless of the addiction. The book is also beautifully written. She's a real writer. She is also a role model, showing the way for how the rest of us might live more spiritually and more humanly. I hope many, many people read this compelling memoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Pageturner, August 17, 2001
Sue William Silverman's Love Sick is a powerful pageturning tale told with clarity and dispassion, a marvelous achievement considering the subject. Though a personal story, it is of universal interest. It is, on the one hand, a blueprint for narrative nonfiction: perfectly structured and rendered without one wasted word. The book gives insight about all persons stuck for whatever reason in a cycle self-destruction. There is no moral here. The emotions you will have will be your own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this author, May 1, 2011
This was a hard book to read and I'm torn on whether I liked it that much or not. I liked it in that it was well-written and I came to care about her struggles but didn't like it in that it made me think and see myself. I know that sounds crazy and I'm not sure if I'm explaining how this book made me feel. It honestly scared me because I think I learned some truths about myself while reading it and that's hard for me to handle. This is an in-depth look at overcoming an addiction that really hit home for me. Ms. Silverman is an amazing author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psychological Issues, October 11, 2010
Jeff Marzano (Essex Junction, VT USA) - See all my reviews
The setting for this story is mainly the 28 days the author spent in a treatment center for people with addictive behaviors. She talks about what went on in this center plus other experiences that happened before and after.

From the age of four until she went away to college the author was sexually molested by her father. The human mind can only take so much and not surprisingly these experiences had severe psychological consequences for her. She doesn't say exactly what happened during those years. It sounds like her other book provides those gut wrenching details.

When she went away to college and as an adult the consequences of this abuse caused complicated psychological issues that manifested as so called 'sexual addiction'. You would need some understanding of psychology to understand the cause and effect relationships for all of this which I don't have. Her therapist sort of explains it on page 225.

She seemed to feel a terrible sense of abandonment from both her mother and older sister. I get the impression that they knew what was happening or at least didn't really want to know. As a result the book gives some glimpses of someone who suffered in silence and felt there was nobody around to help or understand her which was true. That evil man burdened his daughter with a terrible secret and heavy cross to carry through the rest of her life.

There are two strange incidents in the book where her life was put in danger but her reaction was not normal. A burglar came into her apartment and she just stood there staring at the guy as if she was the intruder. Years later two muggers pulled a knife and were trying to abduct her but all she was concerned about was being late to meet her married boyfriend and give him a Christmas present. It seemed like even the muggers were confused by her reaction (or lack thereof). These incidents show how her entire view of life was mixed up.

She lead a double, secret life and seemed to only be interested in having sex with people who did not care about her as a person and were in many cases total strangers. For example she was interested in her future husband when she was married to someone else and he was the other man. As soon as they got married their relationship became non existent and she was only interested in finding more strangers.

All of this was the by products of the child abuse but I don't totally understand why it manifested in this way.

There was a little bit too much artistic language for me plus some strange statements about how Jeffrey Dahmer was searching for love when he cut people up and ate them.

This isn't a bad book if you want to learn about how someone's mind can snap as a result of severe mistreatment and their effort to deal with the consequences and become normal again.

Jeff Marzano

BLACK WIDOW

Images in a Convent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction by Sue William Silverman (Paperback - February 17, 2008)
$14.95 $11.79
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies