Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 30, 2015
The book was harrowing, as was the author's life, but gratifying to see she'd made such progress in stabilizing her better intuitions, her better self. It was an amazing journey, for the author, and for all of us who were along with her. There's this, too — her psychiatrist deserves gold medals — for his insight, his diligence, his refusal to give up on this patient. And when I say harrowing, I don't mean that as a put-down, or an accusation. The author didn't choose to have this very difficult condition, but she did ultimately choose to move away from its influence. I say to her, I'm so glad you were so strong. Clearly the condition was powerful, alarmingly powerful, but that's what makes her story so impressive. To her psychiatrist,,, you're who and what we want in a health care provider. To the author's family: you also get praise and credit. I'd say that anyone dealing with borderline personality disorder, or any other extremely difficult situation, could find strength and motivation here. I was very impressed with the book and glad I read it.
on January 5, 2015
Good book
on April 26, 2014
There is a film version of the book that has been on some TV channels. The film has its merits but the book has much more to it.
I have the edition with the blue cover. The book is an immensely moving account of the author's journey that led her through 'sexual addiction' to 'recovery'. It is well written, immediate and real sounding. Her issues are not resolved by quick fix solutions. The book deals with the author's childhood sexual abuse issues and how these issues have played out in adult life. It is a rollercoaster of a read and should be read by men as well as women; it is less usual to hear it from a women's perspective. Be brave and read this book !
Reading the book was itself a deep experience and one that involves sticking with it, The book is so much about actual experience; it needs to be read rather than analysed so further comment may not be helpful. There a more recent edition of the book that has an enticing cover.
on March 15, 2014
This book was really well written. It's about a woman's struggle to end her sexual addiction and she ends up finding out so much about herself. Great from cover to cover.
on October 13, 2013
The author is highly talented, honest and her writing style is such charmingly engaging. She is one of the best when it comes to recommended works for those of us who are on journey of writing. I began reading her in the first place so as to be mentored in writing skills. On the should of giants we stand. This account of sexual abuse relates how one can be love sick, seeking love and trying to meet it in ways that are counter-productive.
"I don't do this for pleasure. I do this for love." It was sex as all Rick wanted was to get the job done. Quickly. As Silverman confused sex with love, this was leading her into a compulsive, repeated, destructive pattern with one man or another. She did that because as a girl she only learned that sex is love from her father, the first dangerous man who sexually misloved her. She had sexual intensity but that was only an addict's high, not love.

Contrary to the false accusations of her self-righteous critics, the author never once praised or complimented the life-style she once had as a victim of her own father. She wanted real help. She wanted salvation from all that. She says, "I want something grand. What? A cathedral. Stained-glass windows. Incense. Low voices chanting. A mantra. Soothing words to save me from my addict self-that slut who waits under boardwalks and offers seedy kisses." I could not help but weep on the inside every time I read this book as I felt her pain. It is an excellent tool for any lady dealing with sexual addiction as the author is sharing in complete honesty, frankness and humility. I loved her writing style and found it quite charming. She is a master and a professional in what she does, indeed.
on July 30, 2013
Throughout this book and her previous book, I felt myself transported. Sue William Silverman's mastery of the craft of writing is incredible. So much so, that it compelled me to journey through the horrors of childhood trauma and its chilling repercussions of sexual addiction. On each page, I felt her vulnerability and desperation and led me into the book so completely that the story began to feel personal. I have the utmost respect for any survivor who takes on the challenge of discovery of themselves, especially when it leads to subject matter borderlining on madness. The courage that it takes for one to walk through the darkness and emerge an intact person is such a rarity. To combine that courage with such written eloquence so that we may accompany her, is just beyond words.

Thank you, Sue for bringing us your story. It is evident how hard you've worked to become the incredible woman and author that you are.
on January 14, 2013
This book was wonderful and marked a major turning point for me. The honesty and courage in this book blew me away! Highly recommended!!
on December 13, 2012
I couldn't finish it truthfully. The author seems to be stretching it out with over detailing descriptions throughout the novel.
on November 21, 2012
The book is very well paced and written. The author's depiction of group therapy, individual sessions, and self-help 12 Step Meetings is authentic.
on January 18, 2012
I found out about this book through watching the movie on Lifetime. I knew I had to read it because I struggle with the same issue myself and wanted to learn more information. I could relate on so many levels and felt she accurately portrayed the emotions and thoughts that go on during the "addict self." I enjoyed learning about her personal journey through counseling and building herself from the ground up at a rehabilitation center for Sex/ Love Addicts. She narrated her story in a journaling sort of way that was new and fresh. The book was well written and took humbling courage to be able to put such deep, painful experiences out in the open for everyone to read.

I suggest everyone read this book to get a new perspective on another kind of addiction that is very different from alcohol or drugs. Also, watch the movie on Lifetime...it is very good!