5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and beautiful
I am 13, and I picked this book up at my school library, having heard of it but having no idea of the plot. I read it in two days, and that's only because school (what a pesky little bugger) got in the way.
Published on March 24, 2000 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasty and Sentimental
Published on October 13, 2011 by Ohioan

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and beautiful, March 24, 2000
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
Love Story is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. It doesn't have a lot of elaborate details; however, that doesn't diminish its charm. It is cuttingly funny, and completely absorbing. I read it on the lunch line, during lunch, during math, during science...you get the picture. The ending almost made me cry. This book is a work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Story is the best book ever!!, October 22, 1999
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
Hey, i'm only 12, but i still loved the book. It is soooo worth spending time on reading it, it makes you laugh, it makes you think about things, and it makes you cry :( You can completetly relate to any of characters even if you r only 7 years old. Erich Segal is a genius!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasty and Sentimental, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Love Story (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book when it came out and I didn't then and don't now understand all the hype. The story is told hastily, almost as if the author is rushing through the plot -- almost as if what he had in mind was a screenplay, and wrote a book instead. The characters aren't well-developed. The story is predictable. And, it is mawkish: sentimental in a feeble way. Feeble because the characters seem two-dimensional and the ending is not satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most touching book ever written, August 4, 1999
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
I love 'love story'. My first contact with this book was when I was about 8 and I saw it on my cousins book shelf. I never actually read the book, nor saw the film until the summer of 1994 when I was 15. I have now read the book so many times and the film will also be played regularly in my house. It is just the most heartrending book ever written, and has taught me a lot about how to build relationships and also how it can be the differences between two people that make them so close.
The book is so thought provoking and Erich Segal must be seen as a genius for writing this book which is a modern classic. It states so many points which are relevant to life and has so much to offer to any unassuming reader.
The catch phrase of the book, 'Love means never having to say you are sorry' is an ambigious comment. Does Segal claim that Oliver should not have hurt Jenny in the first place to have to say sorry? Or does he mean that Jenny should automatically forgive Oliver if she loves him? This thought has played on my mind severly and I have pondered over it many times and I don't quite know which of these possibilities I believe to be true.
However I do know that it is the most touching book that I have ever read, and the one which has left the biggest impression on me. Anyone who can fail to feel sadness when Jenny falls ill and eventually dies must be lacking emotion.
Throw away your copies of 'The Rules' or 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' and buy 'Love Story'. For this is the most realistic book on relationships you are ever going to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A typical love story modernized for all to relate with., December 18, 1998
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
Erich Segal takes in a ordinary love story and adds spice to liven it up. Two characters with opposite personalities but the same love for one another plays off the plot well. I can get a feel for their strong attractions and even deep sacrifices for one another. I found the constant sarcasm between the two characters quite entertaining. This book is very much so modernized, with the two married and trying to get through college without any help from their parents. Like all love stories, this book ends with something that conclusively impacts any reader. Segal is also typical in his "love story" to end with a tragic ending. From the last three chapters, I got my own personal treat from this book. It gave me the opportunity to relate and somehow be a part of this love story also. Of course I won't tell you all the ending, but I can honestly say I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it to all readers who wants to find their own relation with the book. The life lesson it taught me was to appreciate those that I love and mostly those that are still existing before me (*hint, hint).

4.0 out of 5 stars Teachings of Love, October 22, 2000
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled when, stuck at home on a Friday night, my parents put Love Story into the VCR. However, I was entralled by the movie and the book captivated me even more. Although I knew the outcome, the book was still an emotional ride for me. The phrase opposites attract is most certainly true for Oliver Barrett IV and Jenny Cavilleri. For those of you who have not been so fortunate as to have been touched by this novel, here is a brief introduction. Segal sets his usual scene on the East Coast, in particular the university grounds of Radcliffe and Harvard. Oliver is a hockey player and brilliant student with a well-known family name. He has had everything handed to him, except the approval of his father. Jenny is a Radcliffe music major who has had to struggle to make her way. The irony in the match is unbelievable, as they bantor back and forth for hours. However, neither feels complete without knowing the other is nearby. Oliver gives up his family name to be with Jenny, and she is ultimately what brings the estranged father and son close for the first time. Love Story is a phenomenal experience. The reader becomes so involved in the conflicts between family, friends, and the couple that every incident becomes personal and is taken to heart. Love Story is a tale which professes that love teaches the many lessons that professors cannot. Once a person has read this novel, he will never be able to forget how strong the grip of love has on his heart or how tragedy can lead to forgiveness. We aren't all lucky enough to be as in love as these characters were, but the novel was written in such a way that we can all feel the both elation and the pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Story, January 4, 2000
Kurt A. Schluter (Maine, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
The book that I read was Love Story by Erich Segal. I enjoyed this book very much because there was so much detail that I was able to see the story in myy head like a movie. The amount of detail makes one want to just keep reading more and more until the book concludes. I weould definatly recommend this book to anyone and therefore I really cannot find anything bad to say about this book since I enjoyed it so much. This book made me think about how awful it must be to be in love with someone and then they die. If that ever happened to me, it would definatly hit me very hard. Given enough time, most people can get over these types of things. Getting help from friends and family gives you enough support to get you through troubled times. The book did not really remind me of anything because nothing quite like it has happenened to me. Love Sotry contained many universal themes such as love, friendship, ambition, and lonliness. Love was the main theme because this whole book was based upon love and its many aspects. Friendship is evident where Oliver interacts with his friends and fellow hockey players. Playing hockey also portrays ambition because Oliver wanted to win that last game in New York so badly as did everyone else. There is lonliness included in the book when Jenny dies and Phil and Oliver feel lonely because Jenny was the girl in both of their lives. Reading this book has made me want to read more by Erich Segal because in my opinion he is a very good author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Overly Impressed, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Love Story (Love Story series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
To be honest, this is a pretty mediocre little novel, and it certainly doesn't live up to the hype for me. The characters are bland and uninteresting(not to mention unlikable), Segal's sparse prose is frustrating to read, and on the whole it just doesn't have nearly the emotional resonance necessary to make it a genuine tearjerker. It's interesting for its place in pop culture history, but beyond that I can't really see anything in this book to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Love Story Ever!, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
I saw the movie before I read the book, so when I found out the movie was based on the book, I had to check out the book cause the book is always better than the movie. Well, luckily, I guess, the book is a relatively short read, so the movie keeps all the important stuff. This to me is the greatest love story ever. People are turned off by the cheesy, overquoted phrase from this movie, "Love means never having to say you're sorry," but it's the context behind the quote that is meaningful rather than the quote itself. I highly recommend it to anyone who has ever had a glimpse of true love. It's a modern-day tragic romance. I say give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars PINNACLE OF PURE INNOCENT LOVE, July 15, 1998
This review is from: Love Story (Paperback)
THE love story is not a book it is a dream ,a dream of pure innocent love that every one sees.As you read you just go deeper n deeper...you feel a immence urge to touch to feel still deeper inside the characters. A story a two humanbeings that show us the way to steer through life.Erich segal makes you go through inside the pages to the life of to characters ,to laugh, to cry,to feel with them.
---If there is love in this world it's here-------