4.0 out of 5 stars To Love a Thief~
Published on October 24, 2012 by Lisa Wolff

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved for it to END
Published on January 2, 2013 by ASpoon

4.0 out of 5 stars To Love a Thief~, October 24, 2012
This review is from: To Love a Thief (Secrets & Scandals Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of Darcy Burke's full lengths and really enjoyed them and was happy to see she had a novella out and I was quite happy with it! Jocelyn Renwick sees her late mothers necklace on a lady of the ton while acting as a chaperone at a ball and it spikes her curiosity since it was stolen and never recovered. With her impulsive, bold nature she asks about the necklace and where it came from and gets a answer that she knows is false. At the same ball she garners the attention of Daniel Carlyle, former constable and new viscount. He was mentored about the ways of society since he never expected to be a viscount and the earl that mentors him just happens to be the man that has Jocelyn's belongings. Not sure who to believe, the earl or Jocelyn, sends Daniel back to his roots in a quest for the truth. Unfortunately, the truth turns out to be the worse kind and it endangers not just him, but also Jocelyn and the hope for a future together.

As with most novellas, I wish this was just a bit longer so we could have had more time to see the relationship develop between Jocelyn and Daniel but even so, I thought the length was done well. The instant attraction sends sparks flying and the action keeps this couple coming back together. Lies are told but truths are quickly revealed as well which I appreciated. I liked how Daniel has been a constable and inherited a title he never expected to have or want and this is an area I would have liked just a bit more about, but again, it worked well within this novella. Daniel is smart, loyal and confident and a wonderful foil to Jocelyn and her bold nature. You know who the villain is but how it all unraveled was a delight. This novella has it all--action, romance, love and passion. We get just enough glimpses of one of the upcoming heroes and I am very anxious to see how Ms Burke redeems him! Lovely story for a lovely price. 4 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved for it to END, January 2, 2013
ASpoon (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
This book was not as good as others claimed it to be. I tried my best to stay focused but I eventually skimmed through pages because the writing started to sound ridiculous. I did not like the fact that when one of the characters said or done something the writer points out why that character did it..like we aren't smart enough to come up with it on our own. (Spoiler alert) A good example..main character Daniel sitting down with someone ( ""Not at all. Whiskey?" Jagger picked up the bottle in front of him and reached for an empty glass. "No gin?" Daniel preferred whiskey, but gin, due to its quantity, was usually the drink of choice in St. Giles. )why did we need to know all that... when I read this, it's like the author was looking for a way to fill space... another example...(Jagger leaned back in his chair so that his head rested against the wall. "What do you want to know?" It made sense that Jagger would assume he was here for information.) this is another example of the author pointing out why Jagger would say this...duh! This would have been a good time for both characters to quickly and wittily interact...once Jagger said "what do you want to know" Daniel could have shot back saying "now, what makes you think I want something...can't an old constable simply drop by a hell hole and grab a drink?" and we would know from reading that Daniel was being silly... Besides the wording sometimes made me feel like one minute I'm stepping back in the 80's and not the 1800s.. i.e. Nicky Blue...REALLY! But to each it's own. Some may love the book...just not ME!

Burke, Darcy (2012-09-25). To Love a Thief (Secrets & Scandals) (Kindle Locations 1099-1100). Intrepid Reads. Kindle Edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, December 25, 2012
I was a little sceptical because this book was free but I was pleasantly surprised! Could have been a little longer but I overall enjoyed it. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. It was perfect for my car ride home.

2.0 out of 5 stars No accounting for taste I guess, February 1, 2013
I can't believe the number of 5 star reviews this book got. Anyway I kept thinking I was reading a modern day novella for all the ways the main characters behaved. The way they spoke was also way too modern in my opinion. I honestly struggled to finish this book, and although the author had some good ideas, she didn't manage to pull them off satisfactorily or believably. It was free and didn't take long to read on the positive side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just me I guess, December 30, 2012
Call me squimish but I could have done without the detailed sex and the graphic violence at the end. I liked the compatability of characters and the moments of whit. It could have held a bit more depth. Not the worst read but not the best either.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what to title this, December 25, 2012
I read this in a mere few hours. I had a hard time putting it down. Descriptive and completely enthralling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying, December 24, 2012
"To Love a Thief" was not a poorly written read, but - to be honest - it was not a very good novella either. The hero and heroine's relationship is clearly based on infatuation. The protagonists go from passionate embraces to doubting the other's motives to passionate embraces again. The external conflict was surprisingly dramatic, and the love scene was quite detailed, but overall the romance was rather unsatisfying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilling, December 30, 2012
It an ok read. The story was slightly interesting, the author could have delved deeper to make it better. The characters weren't fantastic, it was fine for a novella but wasn't something I would have paid for or read if it wasn't free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, quick read, April 29, 2013
I read primarily historical romance, usually set in the regency era. This book was a short version of what could have been a good read. The author has some work to do on researching historical clothing and phrases to flesh out her books, but other than that the story was good. I would probably read further efforts if available.

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, December 27, 2012
This is a really short story but surprisingly enjoyable. Their relationship seemed rushed and more lust than love but I guess that's something that can't easily be written in a short book. I didn't expect much so was surprised.