Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on October 24, 2012
I have read all of Darcy Burke's full lengths and really enjoyed them and was happy to see she had a novella out and I was quite happy with it! Jocelyn Renwick sees her late mothers necklace on a lady of the ton while acting as a chaperone at a ball and it spikes her curiosity since it was stolen and never recovered. With her impulsive, bold nature she asks about the necklace and where it came from and gets a answer that she knows is false. At the same ball she garners the attention of Daniel Carlyle, former constable and new viscount. He was mentored about the ways of society since he never expected to be a viscount and the earl that mentors him just happens to be the man that has Jocelyn's belongings. Not sure who to believe, the earl or Jocelyn, sends Daniel back to his roots in a quest for the truth. Unfortunately, the truth turns out to be the worse kind and it endangers not just him, but also Jocelyn and the hope for a future together.

As with most novellas, I wish this was just a bit longer so we could have had more time to see the relationship develop between Jocelyn and Daniel but even so, I thought the length was done well. The instant attraction sends sparks flying and the action keeps this couple coming back together. Lies are told but truths are quickly revealed as well which I appreciated. I liked how Daniel has been a constable and inherited a title he never expected to have or want and this is an area I would have liked just a bit more about, but again, it worked well within this novella. Daniel is smart, loyal and confident and a wonderful foil to Jocelyn and her bold nature. You know who the villain is but how it all unraveled was a delight. This novella has it all--action, romance, love and passion. We get just enough glimpses of one of the upcoming heroes and I am very anxious to see how Ms Burke redeems him! Lovely story for a lovely price. 4 stars
on December 25, 2012
I was a little sceptical because this book was free but I was pleasantly surprised! Could have been a little longer but I overall enjoyed it. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. It was perfect for my car ride home.
on January 2, 2013
This book was not as good as others claimed it to be. I tried my best to stay focused but I eventually skimmed through pages because the writing started to sound ridiculous. I did not like the fact that when one of the characters said or done something the writer points out why that character did we aren't smart enough to come up with it on our own. (Spoiler alert) A good example..main character Daniel sitting down with someone ( ""Not at all. Whiskey?" Jagger picked up the bottle in front of him and reached for an empty glass. "No gin?" Daniel preferred whiskey, but gin, due to its quantity, was usually the drink of choice in St. Giles. )why did we need to know all that... when I read this, it's like the author was looking for a way to fill space... another example...(Jagger leaned back in his chair so that his head rested against the wall. "What do you want to know?" It made sense that Jagger would assume he was here for information.) this is another example of the author pointing out why Jagger would say this...duh! This would have been a good time for both characters to quickly and wittily interact...once Jagger said "what do you want to know" Daniel could have shot back saying "now, what makes you think I want something...can't an old constable simply drop by a hell hole and grab a drink?" and we would know from reading that Daniel was being silly... Besides the wording sometimes made me feel like one minute I'm stepping back in the 80's and not the 1800s.. i.e. Nicky Blue...REALLY! But to each it's own. Some may love the book...just not ME!

Burke, Darcy (2012-09-25). To Love a Thief (Secrets & Scandals) (Kindle Locations 1099-1100). Intrepid Reads. Kindle Edition.
on December 25, 2012
I read this in a mere few hours. I had a hard time putting it down. Descriptive and completely enthralling.
on April 30, 2015
I really liked this novella with Daniel and Jocelyn. We have the thrill of a new relationship, a string of robberies, and we get another peek at Jagger. It was good paced, lots of action, and wonderfully written! I am loving this series!
on May 5, 2015
I was given a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

For a short book it doesn't lack anything.

I love that Carlyle was a constable and not just someone raised to be a lord, that made him very different from most books. I liked that it was pretty much love at first sight which is a nice change. I laughed at how Joselyn always said what she was thinking, and when she set her mind on something she did it even though she wasn't raised to act like that.

Jagger has become a favorite of mine and I really want to know more about him. There is just something that makes you want to know him. I was expecting the ending, but not how it happened and that was a twist for me. Yes it was easy to figure out who was behind the robberies, but I wanted to know more about his reason for it.
on December 27, 2012
This is a really short story but surprisingly enjoyable. Their relationship seemed rushed and more lust than love but I guess that's something that can't easily be written in a short book. I didn't expect much so was surprised.
on April 28, 2014
I enjoyed this short story which was well written and well edited with a fearless heroine and a dashing hero. The plot was interesting, involving members of the ton and the criminal underworld in a jewelry thievery ring which is inadvertently exposed by our paid companion spinster heroine. When she spots her mother's unique commissioned pendant (complete with the scratch that she herself put there when she dropped it) around another woman's neck at a ball, Miss Jocelyn Renwick asks the woman where she got her beautiful necklace. Knowing that it was stolen from her home two years ago, she hopes for a clue as to what shop is selling stolen goods so she can alert the authorities, but only succeeds in being overheard and alerting the thief to trouble. Newly minted viscount and former police investigator, David Carlyle, happens to stumble into Jocelyn's personal investigation into this issue and catches her stealing back her mother's jewelry. She convinces him to help her and when he does, he realizes that they've opened up a whole can of worms, not to mention a serious attraction to each other that neither one expected to ever find.

This was a fun short novella with intrigue, danger, steamy romance, love and (mostly) happy endings. There are some sexual scenes and mild profanity and some violence in this story. Although it's part of the "Secrets and Scandals "series, it is a stand alone story, with some of the characters introduced having their own stories later on.

Heat factor hot.
on June 26, 2015
To Love a Thief is the 4th book in Darcy Burke's Secrets & Scandals Series. It is actually a novella, and the only tie in to the rest of the series is Jagger. He is a criminal, who has appeared or been mentioned briefly in all the previous books. Jagger's character is developed a little more and it is hinted that he is more than what he seems. But I digress, this story is about Lord Daniel Carlyle and Miss Jocelyn Renwick.

Theirs is an intriguing story about stolen heirlooms. a theft ring, and an Earl who thinks he's above the law. Daniel was a constable before he inherited a Viscountcy. Helping Jocelyn determine who robbed her family calls to his sense of justice and also gives him an excuse to keep her close.

I purchases this novella, long before I became a member of Darcy's Dream Team (where I received ARCs in exchange for honest reviews), but hadn't gotten a chance to read it until I started reviewing the series. Daniel and Jocelyn's story would have been better as a full length novel. A lot of characters were introduced with no development. The plot was fast paced, which made the story feel rushed, and then everything was resolved much too quickly and unsatisfactorily. I loved that Daniel was a Constable before he became a Viscount. The situation was unique but was not elaborated on. Jocelyn was at times witty and immature, which made her difficult to empathize with. Daniel and Jocelyn deserved more time for character development.
on January 2, 2013
No simpering girl or arrogant lord here! I loved the two main characters and the plot.

Her season in London lasted only 2 weeks, cut short by her fathers sickness. Now 2 years later she doesn't have money, family or suitors, but with her position as a paid companion for an older lady her life isn't bad. She does get to go to London parties even if her status makes her invisible to most.

He was brought up in a working family never dreaming fate would someday hand him a title. Now he is just trying to get it all right, running a house, riding a horse, dancing, and talking to the silly girls that see his title and not him. And he's supposed to marry one of them?

After seeing her mother's necklaces, whose theft sent her father into his decline, she needs help solving a 2 year old crime. He spent years working as a constable, how could he resist a damsel in distress?

My one complaint? There wasn't enough time in this short book to go from innocent country young lady with only few balls under her belt and no experience with men to someone begging to have sex, but somehow it happened with one kiss here. It feels like the author thinks, "If I don't put pages and pages of sex in here no one with read it." I felt the tension between them when he found her in the study and the surprise when she took his hand much sexier and wished there were more scenes like that.