4.0 out of 5 stars It brings up the theme of aging!!!
Love in the Time of Cholera

Just about everyone appears to agree that the motion picture is a dreadful representation of the novel by the Nobel Price Winner, Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera. It is obvious that this movie does not come close to the masterpiece on which it is based; however, it does bring to the audience some of...
Published on May 28, 2008 by Aglae J. Demizrahi

3.0 out of 5 stars a good movie
After reading all the negative reviews on this movie, I wasn't sure I wanted to see it. I loved the novel, and now am a fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's works. I was pleasantly suprised that the movie kept true to the novel, and very much pleased with the actors that brought the charaters in Marquez's book to life. The scenery is spectacular, and the cinematography is...
Published on March 6, 2008 by M. verdugo

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It's like Eh!, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
I only got it because of the Shakira music that's it. I'm sure the novel was very beautiful, but the movie was really whack. It went no where and it wasn't as romantic as the trailer made it out to be. So in the end, unless you're a super Shakira fan, I don't recommend the movie. It was nice and stuff, which is why I gave it 3 stars and not 2, but it's just like eh. It's a nice movie for when you've seen everything in your movie collection and need to switch things up and watch a good bad movie. It's a beautiful concept though. It was just put together and executed very poorly. The whole time you're just thinking about all the different things they could have done to improve the movie and make it way better. But I don't NOT recommend it. I just don't recommend it either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a Chance and Leave the Bias, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
"Thank God, he's awake now" ... I'm so glad the positive reviews are voted most helpful above so many bad ones. I wasn't familiar with the book so I didn't have the typical disappointment at the film's adaption itself... personally it just took time for the movie to grow on me, meaning the first time I watched it, I almost didn't finish it because despite the amazing cast and stunning scenery, costumes, etc the infatuation was almost losing me with how sappy it got (not to mention Fermina's character was starting to get on my nerves). Then he started his trysts and that brought me back in... and now it's one of my favorite movies. Pity it's not on Blu Ray yet so we can really see its scenic glory!! "My only regret is I do not die for love." "He said that?" "On his deathbed. Nevertheless, all his life he f***ed everything in sight." Ha ha ha classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story !, January 11, 2014
It is a very good love story and shows how powerful love can be. It has some nudity but it is still a beautiful story that starts when they are young and ends when they are old. Very entertaining and worth getting or watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been shot in Spanish with English Subtitles., January 10, 2014
E. Cabrera (St. Louis. MO.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
I can understand some of the negative reviews, especially from those that have read the book. But you must realize that almost always the movie will never be as good at the book. I enjoyed the movie. Except for one thing that really irritated me, and was my only real disappointment. It was that the movie was shot with the entire cast speaking English with a heavy Spanish accent. Even the peasants spoke English, even during intimate love scenes heavy accented English was spoken. In my opinion this degraded the movie. Because of this, it never let me immerse myself into the story as I kept thinking; the characters would never be speaking English. It was like making a movie of a classic Chinese novel and having all the Chinese characters speaking English with a heavy Chinese accent, or making "Gone with the Wind" with Anglo actors speaking Spanish with an English accent. Even worse was John Leguizamo, the actor playing Fermina's father, spoke with his natural heavy New York accent. This aspect ruined the movie for me. It would have been so much better had the movie been shot in Spanish with English subtitles. Obviously, the movie was made for an English (British) speaking audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Movie/DVD, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
This movie came in good condition. I have not yet viewed it because I am reading the book. Hopefully all is well with the disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth seeing if you read the book., December 13, 2013
I chose the film because I had just finished reading the book. The acting and setting in Cartajena were great. Of course the film could not cover everything in this 400 page book, but the scripting covered the important things.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, October 22, 2013
Eva (Dracut, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
This saga starring Javier Bardem is truly wonderful storytelling. The actors and actresses in it are superb. The tale spans a whole lifetime for the characters involved, and for an unrequited love. I like happy endings, and this one finally has one in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, October 18, 2013
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
this movie was great and all acting was great. the twist was great also. i loved this movie and it is a love story, but with a twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie, October 11, 2013
Modern day classic. Only a few movies made since "Gone With The Wind" will fall under this category. Well made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting film., October 3, 2013
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (DVD)
this is an interesting film... Recommended by my finance and I really enjoyed it. this is a good movie if you are looking for something different and romantic.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›