Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on February 5, 1999
A collection of short stories that I first read for a Black Literature class when I was in college in the '70....and here recently, shared it with my book club as our book of the month. Ms. Walker's writing style makes you feel you are right there with the character. While each story presents different experiences of African-American women, women of all nationalities will be able to relate to the stories and the emotions. It's a fast paced book that is heart-warming, amusing, sad,....every emotion is touched.
0Comment34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2014
Although her main focus is on the plight of black people, her characters are so sensitively drawn that they transcend color. They are all of us, struggling for that which makes us fulfilled as humans. These are very readable stories, with depth, insight, and humor.
on January 16, 2006
My son asked me to read a short story by Alice Walker. He was analyzing different writing styles for a writing class. I was pleasantly taken back by the way she uses certain details to communicated to those of us who are not literature major's. I bought several of her books. In reading them I found that she had retained a sense of her Africa culture. Her outlook is hoslitic and circular while most white writers write linear.
The purpose of writing is to communicate and Alice Walker does that. Her writing is not pretentious but humble like the people she writes about. Her writing metaphorically legitimizes being black!
11 comment13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2012
... i hadn't realized that i already owned this book. so after i read and enjoyed it (again) so much, i made it a gift for a good friend and his wife. some of it is very serious but, at the same time it's light reading that is always VERY insightful.
on November 10, 2014
Really enjoyed these stories. Some were hard to read, some had great twists in them. Each one had surprises (one of those things I like about short stories). All of them were very human, reminding us that everything we do does affect others, even those things we think are hidden. Alice Walker has always had a knack for uncovering this in her stories — how important our lives are to the larger world around us.
on June 23, 2014
This a thinker's book,...a collection moments to ponder. I could feel my heart go out in sympathy, my head buzz on with deeper understanding of what I thought I already understood.
on May 29, 2014
These were typical of the writing of Alice Walker: the prose was not overwhelming with unnecessary adjectives, but fully captured the essence of the events, the characters and the times. The short story format allowed the reader to pause after each vignette and think about what was being told and how the story related to events in their own life and understanding of the times. It was not my favorite Alice Walker book, but I never see her name as author without knowing the words she has written will be worthwhile and adding the book to my collection.
on June 6, 2014
Southern Gothic is almost always black, in the sense of dark, I.e., black humor. This is not new,Alice walker is still the queen of black black southern gothic. Long live the queen,
on February 8, 2015
Complex. Nuanced. Based upon stories women told Alice Walker. All are searching for love and dignity ... in many forms. Brilliant. Haunting.
on December 23, 2015
Alice Walker has an ability to see and understand many aspects of the human condition. Each one has a tidbit of "something" to take with you.