2,483 Reviews
 (1,911)

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughter used this in the euology for her mom
Published on November 23, 2005 by Cynthia Theard

1.0 out of 5 stars YIKES. Super creepy and manipulative, just WRONG.
Published on May 5, 2010 by Veronica Sawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughter used this in the euology for her mom, November 23, 2005
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
My daughter in law read this to her children from birth. Every night. They are 16 and 18 now. Hurricane Katrina came and in fleeing from the rising water, their mother was killed. We did not get her body back until Nov. 18. All this time we have been searching and grieving. For the memorial service my granddauther wrote the euolgy and started it with "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." My mom read this to me every night etc. And at the end, with everyone crying and hearts breaking, she read "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My mommy you'll be." When she went to the flooded house recently she found the book, wet, nasty with mud, but she found the book she treasured to remember her mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful, Touching Parable, February 3, 2001
Mark Jones (Watkinsville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This little classic is readily and easily digested by one who has known the true love of a mother. My mother gave me this book during the first Christmas with my new baby daughter in 1992. I had no idea that within the year, my father would be gone, and I would begin to give tender care to my precious little mother who would begin "getting very sick" much like the mother in the book. I cried a bucket of tears as I read it aloud with my wife, mother and father for the very first time. When my mom passed on, it was a tender and precious time at her bedside, and very reminiscent of this tender little book.
Today, my two girls go for it regularly on my shelf at bedtime. They tease me because I can't get through it without crying. Funny to me that they have a very good grasp of allegory and they, unlike some of the book's critics, understand that the scenes with the mother coming to the man's apartment are actually his memories of her love. They understand, as I explain to them that the love poured into the son by his mother, has taught him how to love his new baby daughter at the end.
Love begets love, and this little childrens' parable is a powerful reminder! I highly recommend _Love You Forever_ to anyone who enjoyed a wonderful love with their mother. To others, I'm sorry but you simply won't (and obviously don't) understand. It's not written for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Story about Loving Your Child, December 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This is a fantastic picture book that is a metaphor for the overwhelming love one feels for their child (no matter what age). For all of those readers who can only read in co-dependent, Oedipal, or Freudian themes into this book, you have missed the entire point and have hearts of stone! The fact is that the author Robert Munsch wrote this book as a tribute to his TWO still-born children and that makes this story even more moving especially if you've lost a child or had a miscarriage. The story is an expression of imagining his kids and what they would have been like and how much he would have loved them their whole lives. I found this to be a very emotional and touching story (and I am not a sentimental woman at all). My 3-year-old, rough and tumble, only-loves-the-outside-and-trucks kind of boy really likes this story and has been requesting it for bedtime almost every night. He especially enjoys the verse that is the theme of the book, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as you're living, my baby you'll be." My son wants to hear us say that to him. And again to all those who wrote and thought that this book was "sick"; face it, you might not have liked how this book was portrayed, but you'll love your kids forever, no matter how old they'll get, and in spite of what they will do throughout the phases of their lives that might frustrate you. In fact, my husband likes this story so much that he plans to get it for his mother for Mother's Day. This is a must-have children's book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for your kids or your mom, June 12, 2000
K. Bennett (Rolla, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This is another one of those books I can't read without having to dab at my eyes. Any loving parent, or child of a loving parent, will recognize the overwhelming love the mother in this story feels for her son. When her son is a newborn, she rocks him and sings to him, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be." When he's asleep, she rocks him and sings him that song through each stage of his childhood. When he's a grown man with his own home, she drives over to his house with a ladder, makes sure he is fast asleep, climbs through his bedroom window, then rocks him and sings to him (my husband thinks this is a little strange, but I'm convinced that there are plenty of mothers out there who would do the same if they thought they could get away with it).
The tears come when the mother gets sick, and can't finish the song. Her son then holds her in his lap, rocks her, and sings to her. Then he goes home, picks up his newborn daughter, and sings. The illustrations are a beautiful complement to the story. Not only does the son grow up, but the mother slowly grows older. Her house keeps its old-fashioned look, even down to the rotary phone on her bedside; his house is more modern, with up-to-date kitchen appliances. The mother has a striped cat that appears in several illustrations of the boy growing up. In his house, there is a kitten, that grows into a cat, that turns into a rather large, well-fed cat by the end of the story.
Not only am I sharing this book with my kids, but I gave my mom a copy for Mother's Day.

4.0 out of 5 stars all-age appropriate, June 19, 2002
Shari (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This book was given to me by my mother when I had a house-full of 4 children under the age of 4. I was busy, and set it aside for a day or two, until she said, " Read the book today, then call me." I read it, called her, and was told that she had terminal lung cancer. This book was the only way my mother could tell me how she felt about me. She was never one to be open about her feelings, and I honestly cannot remember her telling me she loved me, until the last 6 months of her life. By then I was over 35, and she started with this book.
I would recommend this book for any age, any gender. The love it speaks of is one we all need to remember, and share with those close to us, even if we have to do it by sharing this book.
Yes, there are a couple of extremes...climbing in her grown son's window?....but the message is one of importance. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will go down as an all-time classic, June 27, 2006
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
"Love You Forever", while a children's book, might perhaps exert the greatest emotional impact on adults, whether or not we are parents. Although many mothers have responded from the maternal perspective, the other obvious perspective is that of any child (i.e. you and me) - boy or girl - and the realization of the profound meaningfulness of unconditional love from one's mother, facilitated by the prospect of being able to return that level of caring in later years. As a man, I tend to imagine myself as the male in the story. Although I do have a 14-yo daughter, for me the most moving aspect, as stated above, is the anticipation (and for many, perhaps the re-enactment) of the passing of one's mother, which I believe many women respond to as well, assuming they also tend to place themselves in the role as child.

I'd like to quote from two pre-2000 Amazon reviews of this book:

"This book is just plain touching. How can a man put into words what only a Mom can understand?"

Again, the irony here, in my opinion, is that men should be exceedingly capable of being moved by this story, whether or not they have children of their own. It may be of interest to examine whether women and men tend to assume differential roles in this story when they read it (e.g., perhaps women react most often as the mother, whereas men respond most commonly as the child).

Second:

"I had Robert Munsch on my radio show and interviewed him about the book. The book was written to honor the 2 still births that his wife had in two years. In fact the book is dedicated to these two babies. When I asked him about the mother going across town with a ladder to see her son, he explained that it should not be taken literally but rather figuratively that a mother will always be there for love WHENEVER! Mr Munsch read the book on the air and we had a bank of 5 callers waiting to talk to him. None of them could because they were all in tears."

This tends to answer two questions. First, and quite presumably, the book was written primarily with the perspective of the mother in mind. Nevertheless, there can be no doubt as to the dual basis or motivation underlying Munsch's desire to write and publish this piece. Surely he was responding to emotions in the context of his relationship with his mother as well. Second, Munsch addresses the critical discrepancy between literal and figurative. In my opinion, the few negative reviews of this little book (note also the oddity that >80% of reviews are 5-star, <20% are 1-star, with essentially nothing in between) failed to appreciate this important nuance.

5.0 out of 5 stars ----- HUMOROUS and MOWING -----, December 5, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
'Love You Forever' is perhaps the most touching book I have ever read. The story is warm, humorous and quite moving. The illustrations are beautiful and add to the depth of the story. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Be warned that it will bring tears to your eyes and a lump to your throat as you read it for the first time. At other times it will make you roll over laughing... The illustrations are delightful. Anyone will feel that this story is about them. My other recommendation is a series of three books titled Why Some Cats are Rascals, Book 2

1.0 out of 5 stars YIKES. Super creepy and manipulative, just WRONG., May 5, 2010
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
I agree with everything I have read from the other one star reviews. Someone gave me this book today while getting rid of their kid's old stuff, and told me we'd LOVE it. Later I was told by my mom, "Oh I remember when I worked at a bookstore that was a HUGE seller, you cannot read it without crying." So I decided to read it to my son, knowing I'd probably get sucked in to what sounded like a sappy story, but the weirdest thing happened. As I'm reading, the whole "fear of my mother dying/leaving my son one day" thing was totally getting me, but at the same time the logic part of my brain is going, "wow these are hideous and strange illustrations, and this is actually really CREEPY!" Crawling across the floor in the dark and peeking up to see if the kid is asleep- what if he wasn't asleep?! She would've scared him to death. Then he gets older, and becomes a teenager, who is apparently zoo-like, but she loves him anyway. At night. While he's asleep. While she rocks him like a baby. Frightening! Then it just gets crazy as we see her driving across town at night with a ladder on her car!!! To climb in her son's window and rock her adult son, who apparently is a VERY heavy sleeper or drugged, like a baby. She is not only clingy and obsessed, but very strong for an old woman. And her son, who later has a baby himself, sleeps in a twin bed, alone. Its just bizarre. And the image of him holding his mother when she's all old and DYING is just beyond upsetting and strange and I just do not see how people love this book and give it 5 stars. Its clearly a love it or hate it book, and shortly after reading it I decided I'm in that latter category. I felt totally manipulated after reading it, and it angered me! Luckily my son didn't pay attention at all while I read it to him, ( I really should have read it to myself first!) but he did notice my voice shaking and my tearing up as I got to the end where the mother gets old and dies. This is not a nice thing for a child to see and feel, this book is creepy and icky. There are way better books about motherly love that won't give you nightmares or a death complex. There are so many things wrong with this book I can't even get to them all, but there are a lot of great reviews on here that express just how warped this book is.
Oh- and what a deceptive cover!!! It could not be more misleading.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the perspective!, March 2, 2007
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This is a beautiful story of a mother's love for her child and her child's love for her. The idea that is to be grasped, toward the end of the book, is that the memories the mother has of taking care of and loving her son are still with her and that to the very end she loves him enough to still "rock him". She doesn't actually go climb the ladder and rock him! I understand that thought completely. I will always have an open spot on my lap and in my arms for my child - but I fully recognize that doesn't mean she's always going to want to take advantage of it! While this book is a tear-jerker, my daughter has no problem understanding the concepts. Perhaps a 5 year old is better equipped to understand unconditional love than adults; after all a 5 year old is more inclined to show unconditional love while the majority of adults have far too many "expectations" of those they love.

We love this book and all my friends and their kids do as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the one with McGraw illustrations, October 23, 2007
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
I was just looking at the reviews for this book after a friend tried to "trade" the one she had bought with the newer illustrations with the one that I have in the library. I refused to give up my old copy because the pictures really do resonate much more with the fact that this is a grown man here, not someone fresh out of college. Mother still loves him--no matter if he is 50 or something.

I was so surprised to see just how many people think of this as some kind of "creepy" book. I'll admit I sometimes read the Amazon reviews simply to find out just how laughable some folks are about their reviews and this was one of those cases. If you want to take everything in the book so literally that you think that Mom would crawl through a window with a ladder, so be it. On the other hand you are one of those who sees that as a metaphor of always caring and loving your son, then this book is truly special and to be enjoyed.

Love You Forever
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Paperback - September 1, 1995)
$5.95 $3.33