5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album
Love At First Sting was the Scorpions' most successful album in the U.S. and remains their strongest album. Although Savage Amusement would chart higher on the charts and their biggest hit "Wind Of Change" appeared on Crazy World, Love At First Sting was their best album featuring their strongest collection of songs.

This album features an equal balance of...
Published on September 23, 2003 by John Alapick

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Music, Bad Print
I am an old Scorpions fan, and always considered "Love At Firts Sting" one of their best albums of latter era. Actually, it's their last album with some original ideas, just like "Flick Of The Switch" was for AC/DC.

Published on November 7, 2006 by Dmitri Korotkov

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album, September 23, 2003
John Alapick (Harveys Lake, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)

This album features an equal balance of heavier tracks, catchy metal driven by memorable riffs, and power ballads, and most of them are top notch. The acoustic turned heavy rocker "Coming Home" is one of the strongest tracks and was the opening song for many of their live shows. "Rock You Like A Hurricane" would be one of their biggest hits and remains their signature song. The ballad "Still Loving You" remains one of the best of the metal era and features some excellent passionate soloing from both Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker. Tracks like "Big City Nights", "Bad Boys Running Wild", and "I'm Leaving You" are all very strong, featuring excellent melodies penned by Schenker. The lesser known songs are also very good, particularly the anti-war track "Crossfire", driven by Herman Rarebell's hypnotic march beat and "As Soon As The Good Times Roll." An excellent album. Highly recommended to fans of great '80s melodic metal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Released like a Hurricane in '84, December 4, 2005
Captain Nemo (Central Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
This is the release that followed the band's 1982 hit album Blackout. It is perhaps the peak of the Scorpions' recording plateau studio-wise. They were indeed firing on all 8 cylinders on this one.

Song listing and thoughts:

1. Bad Boys Running Wild - a great opening song with Schenker on rhythm and the frantic Jabs on lead guitar

2. Rock You Like A Hurricane - this song took the world by storm and wouldn't let go ... sleazy lyrics and A+ solo work by Matthias

3. I'm Leaving You - kinda a mixture of a mid tempo rocker/ballad which works really well

4. Coming Home - starts with the false ballad opening then rolls hard the rest of the way

5. The Same Thrill - a fast paced song, sounds kinda rushed though

6. Big City Nights - a Schenker masterpiece...don't let the guitar tracking fool you, this song is nearly all Schenker. Mr. Flying V starts off with the main rhythm and also plays the lead melody. Matthias plays the 2nd rhythm and the solo fills for the chorus, but Schenker returns with the lead melody along with his powerful lead solo. However, when played live Matthias had/has to play Rudolph's intro rhythm guitar part to compensate

7. As Soon As the Good Times Roll - a mid tempo song with different drum stops, a cool touch

8. Crossfire - a nice slow burning song with Matthias and his laser shooting guitar

9. Still Loving You - a ballad masterpiece featuring Schenker baby aka Mr. Flying V on the soaring lead guitar

Klaus' vocals are top notch throughout.

A great album by a hard rocking band that made it big and deserved it. Something that has always bugged me about Love At First Sting is that Matthias' guitar tracking volumes are noticeably low in the mix for whatever reason (compared to Blackout or Savage Amusement), but that's just a minor picky track mixing detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The highlight of the Scorps career, October 9, 2004
Patrick Mitsdarfer (Williamsport, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
Their best effort to date even better than Blackout, which I never thought could happen. This album starts off rockin with Bad boys running wild, (it just smokes), the classic Rock you like a hurricane,(a definite 1980's classic), My personal fave I'm leaving you,(Mindblowing song), the bombastic The same thrill, another classic Big city nights(How sweet),the groove of As soon as the good times roll, and the slow rocker that has been a mood maker for millions, Still loving you. I must admit I wore out my cassette twice over the years, this is soo damn good. On disc it is so much better, wow!! I always thought Mathias Jabs was one of the most underrated guitarists of the 80's, period! He had speed and finesse but he had some feeling that many others didn't. And who could forget Herman (the German) Rarebell, his playing was simple but this guy was really good. The solos on Bad boys, Hurricane, I'm leaving you and Big City nights are truly inspiring!!!An amazing record by an amazing band. A true metal classic that brings back many good memories. Take it from a 35 year old headbanger, buy this and rock on!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The last great album from these German champions of steel., November 11, 2003
Mattowarrior "Mattowarrior" (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
In the eighties, The Scorpions would undergo a transformation not unlike another classic metal band, Judas Priest. Priest had shed many trappings of their more epic 70's sound in favor of more streamlined songwriting and a (somewhat) more commercial sheen. The Scorpions did the same, and by 1984 this transformation had been complete. Uli Jon Roth was nothing but a distant memory, and the most well known line up of The Scorpions had found their place. Love at First Sting still remains a great album, maybe not up to par with their 70's material but strong just the same. It has a very sleek sound that would later be copied by lesser bands who sought to capture the sleekness and commercial potential in this type of production. However, the songs still count, and they still rock, probably more than their previous album, Blackout. It begins with the rocker Bad Boys Running Wild, then to the anthem (the overplayed infamous) Rock You Like a Hurricane, and then to the more speedy songs Coming Home and Same Thrill. No Scorpions album would be complete without some experimentation, and this is in the epic anti cold war track, Crossfire. The ballad Still Loving You is their strongest ballad since the seventies, and the other songs have their own strengths as well. Too bad they hired outside songwriters and so on to try to duplicate the magic later. They couldn't. The Scorpions are the original "pop metal" band, but I mean that in a good way. Their songs are catchy and concise (even in the Roth era though maybe not on Lonesome Crow which I do love btw) and have a keen sense of melody and the bite that they possess keeps the songs from being "pop" in a bad way. Like a Heavy Metal Beatles (early) in a way. Get this, you should already have it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Music, Bad Print, November 7, 2006
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)

I purchased this album when I started replacing my dust gathering collection of tape records made in 80's and early 90's, finally having decided to get some quality sound of my old idols. How great was my disappointment wheh I have heard this CD! The quality is quite similair to what I had on my old tape - low record level, high frequencies are not audible. In short - you've got nothing of Mattias Jabs and Rudy Schenker guitars, quite a little of Klaus Meine voice, which was good back then.

I've heard Scorpions live this summer on private concert in Moscow: they performed mostly the songs from this album, and even given all those years passed, they sounded better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is hard rock at its best!, July 12, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
This is well crafted hard rock/metal. Not Kid Rock, not Limp Bizkit, not Korn, etc. Nu-metal is a joke compared to the classic, timeless songwriting of bands like The Scorps, Iron Maiden, Rush, Sabbath, Dio, Symphony X, Metallica, Dokken, Loudness, AC/DC, Queensryche, Fates Warning, etc. The nu-metal clowns should take some pointers on how to really write and play quality music from some of the aforemetnioned bands. Long live The Scorpions! LAFS is a great release!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rock album ever., December 11, 2002
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
LOADED with hits! Love at First Sting is a powerful, melodic record filled to the edge with sharply written melodies, in a time where Hard Rock Bands knew what they were doing and their closest friend was their guitar. And it doesnt show any clearer than here. The first thing you hear on this record is the guitar soaring thru the speaker, and the last thing you hear is how it fades out, inwillingly to die. And the last track, "Still loving you" will always live on as the real, mean Power Ballad, the king of them all.
It is as earlier written loaded with hits, among them are the now legendary "Rock you like a Hurricane", "Big City Nights", "As Soon as the Good Times Roll", "I`m Leaving You", "Crossfire" and the powerful smashhit number one, "Still loving you". I still have a hard time holding back the fingers from tapping wildly on the keyboard as I listen to it, but for the review`s sake, I have to control my self. Otherwise this is pure power. All the songs have so wonderful guitarplaying, eternal choruses and GREAT solos!
This is just pure perfection, a record that never will be succeeded by any rockbands, not even Scorpions themself. However, Scorpions have released many superb albums afterwards too, worth checking out, but if you want the best of all rock albums ever, get this. RIGHT NOW.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1997 remastered version, March 1, 2003
Tim J. (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
I gave this version of Love at First Sting a four out of five rating. The songs on this disc are GREAT ! They deserve as many silly stars as one could possibly place upon them. My problem with this release is that it is being marketed to Scorpions fans such as myself who are expecting an upgrade in sound over the older cd version of this title. If this sounds like yourself, then don`t waste your money. There is no upgrade in sound. I don`t even think it has been remastered at all. I buy all the newly remastered cd`s that come out these days from my favorite old bands and most of them are truly remastered but not all. There is an expensive import version of this available that I was told has truly been remastered but I`ll wait until the Scorps redo everything and re-re-release it all again before I buy this disc for the third time.
TDJ (Houston)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Balance Full Sound, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
This is a review of the Audio Fidelity Gold version of this cd. The Sound is full, warm and nicely balanced. It sounds so nice that I have listened to it 4 times in a row at good volume with no fatigue to my ears. I think they have done a great job with this one. Please, give us some more that sound like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...But Not Great, August 8, 2011
This review is from: Love at First Sting (Audio CD)
Let me begin this review by stating that I am a HUGE fan of Scorpions. If you are someone wanting to check out Scorpions for the first time; however, I would urge you NOT to buy this album. Rather, I strongly encourage you to check out "Blackout" or "Lovedrive" first if you really want a taste of what the Scorpions are (were) about (at least in their popular incarnation).

The "Blackout" album has far superior energy and better production than "L.A.F.S" and "Lovedrive" has much stronger songwriting PLUS the bonus of having Michael Schenker's inimitable presence. I was already a Scorpions' fan when "L.A.F.S." was released and have fond memories of the excitement that surrounded the album and the sense that Scorpions were about to burst onto the world scene in the biggest way. Though I personally enjoy the album, I must admit that of all the Scorpions albums in my collection (and I do have them all), I probably listen to this one the least. Maybe its simply because the album contains most of their biggest hits and I'm being a bit of an anti-hits snob; more likely, its the sub-par production. Compared to their earlier works, the production seems muddled a bit; a strange phenomemon given the fact that this album was one of the first hard-rock records recorded using digital technology.

I recommend eventually purchasing this album but only after you've checked out the aforementioned records from Scorpions popular catalogue. If you are seeking superior musicianship with a more progressive tendency, I suggest checking out Scorpions 70's era albums, "Intrance," "Virgin Killer" and "Taken By Force" especially. Scorpions were virtually a different band between 1972 and 1978. Ulrich Roth's virtuoso guitar playing dominates all the early Scorpions records (minus "Lonesome Crow" which has a 16-year old Michael Schenker on lead guitar). When Roth and Scorpions parted ways in 1978, the band evolved into the more commercial entity that was to define them in the minds of most music fans.

If you have loads of money to spend, go ahead and pick this up along with a couple of the other albums I've mentioned. If you're on a tight budget and don't want to waste money on a mediocre album, don't purchase this one.

Love at First Sting
Love at First Sting by Scorpions (Audio CD - 1997)