Wolf Hall
Used & New from: $0.77
Loved Wolf Hall, hated Steig Larson books I know there's nothing in common between them, but both Wolf Hall and the three "The Girl Who" books had a lot of buzz. I thought Wolf Hall was exceptionally well done, but I found Steig Larson's books excruciatingly awful. I also think Umberto Eco is terrific, and that Dan Brown might be the clumsiest writer who ever lived. Anyone agree with me?
asked by James Abraham on July 18, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
I do-- 100 percent!!!
A reader answered on August 1, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I do! Absolutely! I hated both the book and the Dragon Tatoo movie and find Dan Brown one step above a comic book--a mish-mash of illogic and conjecture. conjecture.
Vaughan B. Simpson answered on June 28, 2012

A
jim must have missed something important in Steig Larson's books. "Excrusiatingly awful" is unspecific enough to cover miles of words and thoughts. May be time for Jim to see the trilogy and see his magnificent work instead of reading.
Owen D. Gavigan answered on February 20, 2011

A
If you indeed needed to refer to another page on the kindle you can always bookmark it. Easy enough.
hlew answered on January 30, 2011

A
Dan Brown is a writer of screenplays. He thought that turning them into books would give them "legitimacy."
sheconquers answered on September 2, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am reading Wolf Hall on the Kindle right now, and am having no trouble remembering who the characters are.
Camille Calman answered on August 25, 2010

A
I liked Wolf Hall, and I also liked "The Girl" books. Agree that Umberto Eco is great, Dan Brown not so much!
Appolonia answered on August 24, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
As for my opinions being useless, Eco himself remarked that he considered Brown as akin to a character in "Foucault's Pendulum," so I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

As for my not reading, while I have listened to my share of audiobooks on the train or in the car, I've read, on paper, with my eyeballs, all of Homer in Greek, Virgil in Latin, and Proust in French. Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky I had to use translations for. I've read all of Dickens, but can't get through George Eliot or Anthony Trollope. And it's not true what they say, that Martin Amis is inferior to his father, though I don't believe there's a funnier book than "Lucky Jim."

To sum up, biteme, jackass.
James Abraham answered on August 2, 2010
Comment | 5 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well, for someone that admittedly doesn't actually "read" I'm not surprised. Perhaps you can limit the expression of your useless opinions to just saying them out loud. Preferably in an empty room.
Jeffrey L. Loop answered on August 2, 2010
Comment | 0 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Methinks you are correct. The reviewers who are giving it very good reviews but also mentioning that there are many characters, it's sometimes difficult to follow which 'he' the author means, etc., are perhaps trying to warn people who couldn't make it through Shakespeare to just go read something else. You have to wonder about those who hated it and complain that Cromwell doesn't go to Wolf Hall until the end of the book or ask why the residence of Jane Seymour would even be mentioned!

My concern was just whether it would be difficult to read on a Kindle I don't have yet, the new improved one scheduled to ship Aug. 27th, since i haven't used any e-reader before. After reading the more thoughtful reviews of the book and the current Kindle, and then 'talking' with you, I'm going to go ahead and get "Wolf Hall" on Kindle.
Some of Eco's books are available for Kindle, too, which is good to see. Thanks for all the feedback.
Merismopedia answered on July 29, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›