5.0 out of 5 stars Rhage Is A Hero You'll Love!
Rhage is a member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. He is a warrior and with the help of his fellow brothers he fights those that kill vampires living a life of violence and loneliness. Not only does he have his vampire life to deal with there is the added matter of the curse put on him by the Scribe Virgin. It forces him to live a life without being allowed to feel and...
Published on April 23, 2006 by Kristi Ahlers

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read and potential for perfect but didn't quite get there
A lot of people has written some overview of the storyline so I'm not going to repeat it here.Overall, it was a great read with a very interesting and imaginative alternative reality. The Brotherhood characters totally sizzled and the main plot of plain-jane-gets-prince-charming (sex-god is probably a more apt word to apply to Rhage) is one I personally can never get...
Published on November 15, 2006 by shazzyrose

‹ Previous | 1 2 394 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Benchmark Has Been Set, March 7, 2006
This review is from: Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) (Mass Market Paperback)
LOVER ETERNAL, the second book in J. R. Ward's outstanding Black Dagger Brotherhood series, delivers on the promise of the first and again brings something daring and fresh to the genre.

The stakes have been raised since that breathtaking wonder, DARK LOVER, in this story of Mary Luce and Rhage, a human woman and a warrior vampire. Here, both wearily carry inner demons: his will kill anything and anyone around him; hers, while lethal only to herself, is killing her nonetheless. As a result, they have more obstacles to overcome, more territory to give up and at greater cost, although they are very much equals and each provides the pieces the other is missing. Mary doesn't run from or deny the attraction she feels for Rhage, which is as on fire as it is difficult. Thankfully-and what a relief-none of the women in LOVER ETERNAL are coy, virginal or girlishly stammering over the physical beauty of the men to whom they're attracted.

The world of the Brotherhood is a rich, multi-layered tapestry, complex and textured. Each character is vividly drawn and we see this through little things: human ex-cop Butch's awareness of his newly-discovered inner Versace; Mary's friend Bella reflecting that life inside her fish tank always looks so calm; the sweet, simple comfort for a grieving brother that comes from an unexpected source. None of these is momentous and yet each is revealing, putting the author's finely detailed stamp on every person and each situation. Even the monstrous lessers or slayers are substantial and written in a more fully developed way; they're not just evil, they're more than standard issue literary villains.

The dialog between the brothers is hip and refreshing, fraternally affectionate and, mercifully, they know how to use contractions. When Rhage tells a brother, "And you really don't want me up in your grille again. This time, I won't let the cop peel me off," volumes are spoken. And so it goes with all the characters. Is the dialog real or authentic? I have no idea and I don't care because by turns it hums and it screams and, oh yeah, it's funny, too. The only formal or stilted speech is in the brothers' Old Language and that's just flat-out lyrical.

At the same time we are immersed in the main story of Mary and Rhage, the concurrent subplots are no less enthralling: Bella's dangerous fascination with one of the brothers, which will unfold in the third book due in September; the arrival of a young vampire male that may, or may not, have its genesis in DARK LOVER. And, of course, the brothers themselves, who continue to delight us.

The feeling that Ms. Ward may not always have happy endings in store for her characters or us is very strong. Yes, a certain inevitability is what we read these books for-we want the two characters to be together ultimately-and yet, she may not spare anyone. For example, Butch's poignant and hopeful relationship in the first book seems to have headed south. We're given a mere glimpse of his heartache and can only hope another book will explain or provide a resolution. Nothing in the world of the Brotherhood seems to be a sure bet, nothing is completely safe or easy, even in the end, which is both appealing and frightening.

I didn't think J. R. Ward could equal DARK LOVER, despaired, in fact, that the opposite would be true. All fears have been vanquished with LOVER ETERNAL. This series rocks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Vampire Series for Me, December 30, 2010
This review first posted on [...]

The Black Dagger Brotherhood books are on almost every list of must-read Paranormal Romance. A long time ago, I read Dark Lover, Wrath and Bella's book and the first installment in the series. I don't remember a lot about how I felt about Dark Lover but evidently, my feelings didn't reach the top of the spectrum because I never got around to book two. I've been toying with getting reacquainted with the Black Dagger Brotherhood for some time. What I couldn't decide was whether to reread Dark Lover. In the end, I ran across a list of books featuring wallflower heroines. Lover Eternal was on this list and I decided to stop angsting and start reading.

Sometimes I've read books and thought they were okay only to pick them up again and find that I didn't properly appreciate them the first time around. This was my experience with Georgette Heyer. I'd hardly started Frederica before I put it back down again. But years later, when I read and fell in love with Devil's Cub, I gobbled up most of Heyer's oeuvre, including Frederica. What I'm saying is that I try to keep an open mind about books that underwhelm me. Sometimes those books are better read at a later point in your life. This isn't true about all books, of course. It mainly happens with books that numerous people love and recommend but that I just couldn't get into. However. I'm glad that I didn't reread Dark Lover. Not because I hated Lover Eternal, but because I'm not particularly eager to keep going with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Lover Eternal didn't appeal to me in any substantial way.

For those of you unfamiliar with the plot, Lover Eternal tells the story of Rhage and Mary Luce. Rhage is a member of the previously mentioned Black Dagger Brotherhood, a group of six warrior vampires that have sworn to protect the vampire race. All the warriors (except the king, Wrath, and Zsadist, whose name is an issue of its own) have names with extra h's in them: Rhage, Phury, Vishous, Rhevenge, Tohrment, Tehrror. I'm not really sure why, except that I think it's supposed to indicate how bad-ass they all are. All the brothers have issues, it seems, and Rhage's is a curse put upon him by the Scribe Virgin. Rhage's curse comes in the form of a beast that comes out when he's angry. The only ways that Rhage has found of dealing with the beast are fighting and frequent sex. He's a different woman every night kind of guy, whether he wants to be or not. Until Mary comes into the picture.

Mary is not so much a wallflower as a woman with low self-esteem. She's spent a great deal of her life at her mother's sick bed. Then, when her mother died, Mary was diagnosed with leukemia and was sent to the sickbed herself. When the story begins, Mary receives a call from the doctor that strongly suggests that she's no longer in remission. Which she's understandably bummed about. I've got to give Ward props for not going with the obvious solution to that particular problem. Mary is believably reluctant to enter into a relationship with Rhage if she's just going to get sick. She's been the caretaker for a dying woman and she knows it's not pretty.

This book was okay, but I had a problem with Rhage's "curse". I had read that Rhage had slept with someone else during the course of the book, and I had also read that it didn't happen after the two got together. This is technically true. Rhage does not sleep with anyone else after he has slept with Mary. But. The two are emotionally committed to each other. Which makes it cheating in my book. I also read that Rhage had to sleep with someone else as a result of his curse. I was a little wary of this argument and now that I've read the book, my opinion has not changed. Rhage is afraid of hurting others if he doesn't keep the beast at bay. Though he knows two ways of doing this, the only thing that really works (in the end) is sex. I wasn't clear on why it had to be several-different-girls-a-night-sex. I also wasn't clear why the Scribe Virgin cursed Rhage in that particular way. It didn't really fit the crime. I felt like it was a convenient excuse for Rhage to be promiscuous without actually wanting to be. It was the Paranormal version of "men have needs".

The other issue that I had with this novel was that I wanted to giggle over the language of the "brothers". To me, they sounded like a bunch of white boys playing ganstah. There was lots of "my brothers" and "you feel me?" And what was with the constant use of the word "female"? I hated it. Maybe it just made me think of the term "female dog"? I don't know. It irritated me. In my head it sounded derogatory rather than, I don't know, sexy and possessive.

The one thing that did interest me in this novel is the story of the boy whom Mary befriends. Unbeknownst to the boy, John Thomas, he is about to go through his transition (to becoming a vampire). I was interested in seeing where his story went. But I don't want to read through six more Black Dagger Brotherhood books just to follow it. Maybe I'll catch it as a stand-alone and maybe I won't. Sadly, this is not the vampire series for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some missed the point, April 15, 2006
I was reading a few of the reviews where women were upset that the main character Rhage "cheated" once he got together with Mary. First of all, he knows (or truly believes at the time) that if he sleeps with her, the beast will come out and hurt her. Second, she keeps pushing him away, not believing he really loves her. He tries and tries but she only thinks he is pitying her. So he's in a bit of a tough spot and the only way to numb this creature is by sex or fighting. And with fighting he is not getting anywhere due to the lack of battles. As for the sex, he doesn't love the women and loathes himself for having to do it when he only wants Mary. What do the readers want him to do? Not have sex and just see what happens if he sleeps with Mary and the beast kills her? I'm not a guy, but if I truly loved someone, that would scare the heck out of me. So I think under these circumstances, give the guy a break!

What I did like about this story is for all of us "plain Jane's" out there that only in our dreams would believe some hunk would want us. So even I have to admit, I'd be doubtful and afraid of getting hurt if some Hollywood guy suddenly said he was in love with me. I think a lot of us can relate to that story line and the fantasy of course is in the end when you suddenly realize it was true.

The only thing I don't like about these books is the whole sisterhood, virgin scribe being stuff. Can't help but think that someone or something out there is above her and can put her in her place. She's not like some glorious leader that speaks in wisdom of riddles that you learn from. She just does what she wants even if its cruel. That probably is not how it is supposed to come accross I'm sure, but that's just my perception.

Anyway, great book. Easy read. Lots of humor with real life, modern talk. Loved it and can't wait to read more books from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAN-FLIPPING-TASTIC, March 13, 2006
Jill (Phoenix, United States) - See all my reviews
I don't know how I can possibly fit into 5 stars how much this book TOTALLY ROCKS. I loved the first book, but this one was even better. JR Ward has written a story that is so interesting, entertaining and compelling, that the incredibly hot love scenes become icing on this devastatingly sexy cake.

This novel should appeal to paranormal and non paranormal romance readers alike since it isn't gory or too bloody. The characters seem completely real and you find yourself caring for them on a level most romance novels just can't touch. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK (and the prior book Dark Lover, though not necessary to enjoy this one, I think reading one then going straight into this new one would be HEAVEN!)

I can't wait until September. It's going to be a long...long...long...summer.......

5.0 out of 5 stars JR Ward Writes Another Winner, March 15, 2006
I love reading romance. When I get a book that I immediately can't put down and get so involved in that I don't want it to end, I know it's an exceptional book.

Lover Eternal was a book like that for me. All the characters captured my interest. They have incredibly interesting backgrounds and absorbing stories to tell. I especially love the way JR Ward writes dialogue. The interaction between characters is witty, funny and believable.

I do not see any connections between JR Ward's vampires to others in the paranormal genre. There are some crossover themes in many books but because her writing, dialogue and character descriptions are so original there can be no comparison to others. Her series is fresh, fun and stands out with great distinction.

The main characters, Rhage and Mary, were wonderful and I loved their story.

I have so little time to read in my busy life that I choose books carefully for my great escape time. I won't miss a novel in this series because Ms. Ward really knows how to write a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will laugh, cry and love it.....a must for paranormal romantics, March 2, 2006
JR Ward doesn't disappoint in this second installment of The Black Dagger Brotherhood series. If you loved Wrath & Beth's story, you will be just as pleased with Rhage & Mary's. If you haven't bought the first book in the series, Dark Lover, it's a must buy. This is a terrific, sassy, sexy, heartwarming series that is imaginative yet very believable. Wonderfully drawn characters that you can't help caring about and a fast moving plot. The Black Dagger Brotherhood is addictive. A standout that towers above most of the vampire and were romantic dreck currently available. If you like modern sexy urban romance with an edge, but aren't a vampire fan, try this series!! Another one for my "Keeper" shelf that will be dog-eared from re-reads while I'm waiting for the third installment coming in September, 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars And it just gets better....!, June 24, 2006
I finished Dark Lover, the first in the series, and was immediately pulled into the world JR Ward has created. Lover Eternal, Rhage's book, did not fail me! The story was different than the first in the respect that it was acutely Rhage's voice that came across. The author definately knows how to keep the perspectives fresh so that her series doesn't become repetitve and boring. The romance is impossible, which makes the acquisition of it more beautiful! You want to root for the hero and his love! Although you see the heroic aspect of Rhage, you also see the imperfections, making the character more relateable to the reader. Sometimes you want to strangle him, sometimes you want to comfort him, but throughout the whole thing, you love him! A great continutation of the series, JR Ward delivers!

4.0 out of 5 stars This series is only going to get better, March 8, 2006
I gave this book 4 stars because I sincerely think the next book will be even better. I liked the first one, _Dark Lover_, and I agree with the other readers that this one is even more compelling. She really creates a world with this series, and as a reader who gave up on romance some years ago (in favor of fantasy), I have to say this series is bringing me back. This isn't your typical Nora Roberts cookie-cutter story. The author has a punchy urban style that has improved markedly between the two books. She creates her own idiom here, like some of the great pulp-fictionists of the past. There are some awkward moments--e.g. it's "wreaked havoc," not "reeked havoc,"--but overall it was good enough to read twice over two days. The women in this series are a little flaccid for my taste (pun intended, if you've read the books)--I'd like to see what a really powerful woman would do with these testosterone-flooded vampires--but the world of the Brotherhood is truly seductive. One does need to get over the names. They seem a little silly, and no one seems to notice that they are real words in English--I mean, Wrath, Rhage, Vishous, etc. don't seem to be overly allegorical to anyone in the stories. No one says "Wrath, huh? as in the seven deadly sins?" I pretend they're pronounced Euro-style, and that helps. But as a lit prof who reads a lot of pulp, I have to say this is some of the most promising stuff I've read in awhile. And I swore off vampires after Anne Rice got boring. I can't wait for the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for paranormal romance lovers!, March 8, 2006
Twinkletoes (Houston, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This series is dark, decadent, and delicious! J.R. Ward has created a masterpiece, chalked full of complex characters, stirring emotion, and a gripping plot that is soooo NOT predictable. Even though I really liked the first book in the series, in the back of my mind I was worried. Thinking, I bet the second one will suck! Not so, if anything I like this one better! Plus, I just love how she set-ups for the couple in book three which unfortunately isn't coming out until Sept *sniff sniff*...I'm already pulling out my hair.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.R. Ward Had Me Ensnared From Start to Finish. This Second Book in the Series is Even Better Than the First!, September 16, 2007
Alyce In Wonderland "The Looking Glass" (Over the hill or underland, or just behind a tree) - See all my reviews
The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series:

Dark Lover

Lover Eternal

Lover Awakened

Lover Revealed

Lover Unbound

I'm so into this series. The first book had me hooked. The second has me enthralled. I'm behind on my laundry and sleep because I can't put these books down once I start them. The characters are incredible. Brotherhood means more than blood to these vampires. They would walk through fire for each other and for their women. When one of them is suffering, the rest are beside themselves. Pain for one, is pain for all. When fantasy is written well enough to feel real and personal while I'm reading it, my imagination is very happily swept away.

In Lover Eternal, our hero is Rhage. He is cursed with a beast in his body. If he loses his temper, or feels his loved ones are threatened, the beast breaks out and takes over. The dragon creature is so deadly, even his brothers run for cover. Rhage lives in constant fear that the beast will kill the people he loves.

Mary is living with a beast in her body as well. Leukemia nearly killed her before. Now the disease has returned. When a beautiful man becomes interested in her, she finds it hard to believe he would want her. Rhage wants Mary, and he won't be swayed. However, when it becomes clear that his beast wants Mary too, he fears that he has no choice but to stay away from her.

The Brothers continue their fight against the Lesser Society. (Vampire Slayers) When Rhage's enemies see Mary with him, he knows they will come after her. He is willing to endure any punishment for breaking the rules against bringing humans into the castle he shares with his brothers. It is the only way to keep her safe from the lessers.

Mary's pride won't allow her to lean on Rhage as she fights the Cancer in her blood. Rhage is finding it harder and harder to control his beast around Mary. In spite of the many odds against them, Rhage and Mary develop a bond that is unbreakable. No beast, disease, or slayer can come between them. When Mary's sickness is coming to a deadly impasse, Rhage will offer any sacrifice in exchange for her life. When Rhage's beast becomes more demanding, Mary learns to love it as much as she does Rhage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 394 | Next ›

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2)
Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 2) by J. R. Ward (Mass Market Paperback - March 7, 2006)
$7.99 $7.19