Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Love's Sacrifice and the Ordeal to Become Human: 30 Years with my Spiritual Master, Adi Da
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 22, 2011
I started reading this book on the recommendation of a friend, and quickly found myself caught up in this extraordinary story. The most striking feature was the author's honesty. I've spent a fair amount of time in encounter groups and such, and heard a lot of people speaking with an emotional depth that goes way beyond what is found in the workplace or even in close friendships much of the time. But I still found Dennis Stilwell's self-awareness and willingness to reveal the unvarnished truth surprising - even shocking at times. I was reminded of reading Nietzsche in my late teens, except that this was from a contemporary whose life was much more similar to my own.

So Mr. Stilwell had built up some credibility with me before he got into the "supernormal" events of his life with his Spiritual Master, Adi Da. But I didn't feel this "spirituality" as something that had just happened to him; his transformed life affected my own awareness as I was reading this book and afterwards. I felt my own life as miraculous - noticing the subtle intelligence of coincidences and the appropriateness of events unfolding, I could enjoy the play more and participate with more humor and freedom. This book is an initiation.
on March 8, 2011
Extraordinary, amazing, wonderful, honest, insightful book. I could hardly put the book down - as much of a page turner as Stephen King books! <grin>.
I'm a devotee of Adi Da, but not up close like Leroy was. This book answers a lot of issues and questions for me. It brings a depth of understanding to certain things that I was lacking before. Stories by up close devotees of Adi Da are important and I hope others will come forward to write about their lives with Him. And if they do, I can only hope they are as open-hearted and honest as Leroy. Thanks!
on February 21, 2011
A refreshing insight into the struggle and liberation involved in submitting to a spiritual teacher. The book reads like a fascinating experiment that ultimately shows the master-disciple relationship as a crash course catalyst in self-awakening. The author is brilliantly honest. It is rare to find someone open up about their deepest emotional-sexual fears in the context of being shown a Greater Reality and Brighter Vision that goes beyond all of our human exploits and sufferings. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with committing to a spiritual practice or spiritual teacher. Commitment and devotion are imperative. Dennis Stillwell gives you a kick ass glimpse of the journey involved.
on February 11, 2011
Love's Sacrifice takes you on a roller coaster ride in which idealistic illusions about spiritual life are blown away; where moments of tender human happiness and mystical ecstasy happen in the midst of an all too mortal and limited circumstance; and where life with the Spiritual Master is shown to be an ongoing, ego-shattering Revelation of perfect love, infinite happiness, and unlimited freedom. At the heart of this book is the Divine Spiritual Master Himself -- Adi Da -- who is seen from many vantage points: as the source of the Revelation; the great lover of His devotees; a master teacher by word, example, and incident; and a fountain of ultimate wisdom. The world's spiritual traditions have many time-worn stories, but for anyone who has ever wondered what a spiritual life with the human incarnation of the Divine might really be like--up close and personal: read this book!
on June 23, 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. Part I was not as interesting to me as the rest of the book but Parts II and III where the author talks about his experiences with his Spiritual Master were mesmerizing. Not many people have such a deep and intimate relationship with a real spiritual teacher in this day and age -- a relationship of such intensity requires everything and can clearly only be founded on deep love and trust. It is a testament to the author's love of his guru that he was willing to be so open and vulnerable about his life with his guru. I recommend this to anyone with a real yearning for a spiritual teacher.
on February 17, 2011
This beautiful book was rich with spiritual wisdom and insight into the human condition, but more than that, it was a wonderfully sincere in its confession of a profound awakening to a deep and transformative love only those in the company of a true spiritual master can even begin to fathom. Additionally, it was also a very enjoyable read, full of both laughter and tears. I very much appreciate the author's frankness and sincerity, for allowing the reader to temporarily enter into this intimate and most sacred space of a heart on its journey home to its truth. Thank you for sharing your amazing story with us, Mr. Stilwell!
on February 14, 2011
Reading your mesmerizing account of your 30 years with Adi Da Samraj was thoroughly enjoyable. I read it every spare moment and couldn't wait for the next chapter! The way you write with such honesty and human vulnerability, telling of the constant challenges in this sacred relationship with Adi Da is not an ordinary, everyday story. Reading of the great love and heart attraction to him which kept you in this unending, but graceful ordeal kept me on the edge of my seat! Thank you so much for this wonderful book.
on February 12, 2011
Thank you for this beautiful and insightful description of your life at the feet of your Spiritual Master. I really appreciate the simplicity and clarity that was used to allow me to feel and understand the Wisdom and Truth that you were given to study, live and serve. I was able to feel that Grace that you cherish so much through your non complicated devotion and love for Him.
on June 4, 2011
This is a wonderful book! I highly recommend it. Leroy writes with emotional depth and honesty about his struggles with true human intimacy and the transformation he has undergone with the guidance and blessing of his guru. I could hardly put the book down as the story is engaging and fast moving as well as very inspiring. It is valuable to read about someone who has committed his life to the Guru-devotee relationship and who lived his spiritual practice in close proximity to Adi Da Samraj.
on December 7, 2011
Wow! What a book! It reads like a mystery novel. But, it is far from novel, it is about Reality with a capital R.
An examined life, thoughtful, compelling, inspiring. Terrific! I hope he writes more.

For those of us who would have liked to be in the company of the Guru, and never had that opportunity..or never took advantage of it.
So intimate.