Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 2, 2001
Coil's not much interested in easy listening. "Gold Is the Metal" is the only other Coil I have, so that's all I can compare it with. On Gold, the songs are offered take it or leave it; some are quite challenging. (Boy in a Suitcase, frinstance)
LSD is smoothly crafted for lounge listening, for example the silky Things Happen. (Or, perhaps some chanteuse might come over for a cigarette?) The cd is subtitled, "Out of Light Cometh Darkness." And I believe that the painting on the cover may be the face of a lion (king of the beasts). Darkness, the king of beasts, the didgeridoo, the cacophany of Disco Hospital--Coil brings these out of the light. LSD is the bomb.
I believe the cacophony that begins this cd (and the song Disco Hospital) is actually taken from the 1957/58 electronic composition "Artikulation" by the composer György Ligeti (b. 1923 in Translvania). Ligeti's most famous piece [non-electronic] is "Lux Aeterna" (Eternal Light), which is on the "2001 a Space Odyssey" soundtrack. Perhaps an additional explanation of the "out of light cometh darkness" motto...
on January 5, 2004
This album was created for and still effectively used for the enjoyment of powerful psychotropics, it is multi dimentional in nature, at times frightening, other times, soothing, bizzare and VERY cerebral. Incredibly visual. I have listned to some out of this world music in my life, and this one takes the cake.
If you have a very open mind, and can listen to occasional cacophony of bizzare audio samples, and believe that you can not only handle the sound of a backward suction gun slurping your brain from your skull but truly enjoy it, as well as enjoy loosing your mind for an hour or two then this album is for you. A veritable tapestry of sound, an experience not for the weak minded or shallow.
If you want a dance album, look elsewhere, aside from tracks 7-10, you will mostly be in a daze, and incapable of dancing to this.
I love this album, and would LOVE to find a full sized image of the album cover as well!!! Worth every penny, pound sterling, or euor!
on February 2, 2015
This is probably Coil's most accessible album and I really enjoy it still to this day. Dark, strange, humorous, and mostly extremely psychedelic. Trance melodies and textures , annihilating rhythms, ambient soundscapes, Spanish guitars and wonderful mind blowing samples make this a incredible journey through the dark and light. Loves Secret Domain obviously stands for LSD which is very appropriate for this experimental magical music trip. This is a rare and out of print album so if you have a chance to pick it up I highly recommend it.
on November 5, 2002
Wow. There is so much going on in these songs I don't know where to start except to say that it is a crime that I must purchase all my Coil CDs at inflated prices from overseas. Anyone from a record company reading this?? PLEASE reprint their albums on US soil so that I can stop pumping money into the pockets of British music execs. However, the fact that I willingly pay... for each of their CDs is a testament to how far I would go for music this great.
I don't really know what to call Coil. They might... fit into a genre I heard called "sampledelic" the other day. They bring in so much from so many varied sources that it's no wonder they're nestled in my CD changer right between Ministry and Johnny Cash.
In order to have this review be useful to readers, I would generally try and categorize what sorts of listeners might buy this CD. In the case of Coil, there are so many cultures woven into their music that it's hard not to be inclusive and say "everyone would like this!" But in the interest of experimentation I will try. This is a good CD for you if you like: flamenco, lounge, industrial, dance, trance, IDM, African, gypsy, goth, ambient, fusion, Middle Eastern, or Indian musics. If none of those categories interest you in the slightest, you might not enjoy this very much. But for everyone else, this is a solid buy.
on May 5, 2004
This is in my opinion Coil's most accessible work and definitely my favourite. A great introduction to this unique British band of experimental noise. This album in particular was highly influenced by the Acid House sound that was popular in Britain at the time. That being the case it has been referred to as the "dance" album. However, do not think for a second that this is just a regular dance music album. In fact many of the songs are quite - well, surreal. From the opening assult of sound samples which form the opening "Disco Hopital" to the very distorted vocals and beats from "Teenage Lightining" we are made aware of the experimental nature of this album. The emphasis being on stuttered samples and sound.
According to on-line literature this is also the first recording of Coil's to be recorded in their trademark "sidereal sound." Basically this means sound in 3 dimensions. This is definitely headphone music. The highlight of the album for me was "windowpane" which reaches a drugged intensity among the stuttered background, swirling samples and pounding rhythm.The singer himself seems caught up in dionysian fervour. Indeed, there are a lot of intricacies with this album and a close listen to it will pay off.
This is a must have for any fan of experimental electronic music.
on June 15, 2005
I can't really add to the other reviews. Again, this album was/is very influential on dance music of the 90's, it contains a luxurious blend of sounds, has one of my all time favorite songs on it ("further back and faster"), and is definitely one to listen to if you decide to 'get into' various illegal substances. Note that I am not endorsing taking illegal substances.

If you buy this, or have already, make sure you pick up a copy of "Unnatural History III". There is a track on that called "Meaning what exactly?" which was originally recorded as an intro to the track "Things Happen", and left off for some reason. I slotted that song after "Teenage Lightning I" and before "Things Happen" on my Mac and it sounds quite nice where it belongs.
on October 27, 2001
My copy of Love's Secret Domain was obtained years ago with a hoot of realized good luck in the used stacks at Orpheum in Seattle. My best friend had a copy when he was staying with me, and we had lost contact, so this CD is a great rediscovery and a missing link between my goth-teen past and my techno-adult present. Tastewise, it nestles nicely on the shelf between my Nitzer Ebb CD I stole back then and the Autechre CD I ordered the other day. The influence of this recording is obvious, a mixture of trebly textures and house beats as well as more unique rhythms and melodies. 10 years old, I don't know why its still OOP in USA.
on November 17, 2001
This is not an easy album to come by, but I've been blessed with finding used copies of it twice!
Coil lays down some industrial weirdness on this album: creepy ("Love's Secret Domain"), disjointed ("Things Happen"), and tripped-out ("Windowpane" -- if you don't get that, I'm not explaining it...). Also, there's that didgeridoo floating through a couple of the songs like an aboriginie wandered through the studio while the band was cutting the tracks, seemingly out-of-place in an industrial song but it sounds good anyway. Kudos to anyone who can pull off the use of that instrument in their songs (unless you're Dead Can Dance, then it makes sense).
on November 20, 2003
If you like electronic music of ANY sort, buy this. Now. It's worth it. This album flows like a trip around the Tree of Life, if said Tree were also a rave in Hell. A few of my favourite moments: 'Dark River' is a quiet, sinuously flowing instrumental. 'Where Even the Darkness is Something to See' reverberates with digeridoo sounds and uses them very effectively, bringing a wild, primal grace to the song. 'Windowpane's vocals are creepy and smooth, the kind of sounds that insinuate into your head. 'Chaostrophy' begins with layers of noise, television fuzz that seems to coalesce into an alost tender melody. The title track ends the whole thing, not with a graceful dropoff like most cds do, but with a brick in the head, a viciously sensual hymn to love in all it's volatility and obsession.
Again. Worth it. If you've never heard Coil before, this will blow your mind.
on October 20, 2004
Just as the clever title "Loves Secret Domain" (LSD) states, this is a mind expanding release of electronic music. Weird samples, techno beats and Video game sounds collide with catchy synths and trancelike rhythms. I dislike most techno, and don't really favor the current EBM trends in Industrial music, but this album is one of my favorites of anything associated with those genres. Coil is a innovative group which is comprised of some former members of Industrial pioneers Throbbing Gristle. However, compared to other post-Gristle projects, I think that they really took the adventurous spirit and went somewhere with it. I do not think that (former Gristle leader Geneis P'Orridge's) Psychic TV's "Acid house era" material compares evenly with albums such as this.