Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on January 21, 2007
I think the book, itself, was good and entertaining. But it certainly was not a Janet Evanovich book. While reading it, I just felt something was "off" but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. Then the scene where Ranger shows up. Now, Plum enthusiasts know in their hearts what Ranger will say to Stephanie. He'll say, "Babe." But he didn't. He said something like, "I didn't mean to startle you." Ranger doesn't talk like that. Not even in the early novels. "Babe" is his trademark. Never, ever, would he NOT say that to Stephanie. So from then on out I read the book with the nagging thought that Janet Evanovich didn't write it.

And THAT is what is wrong with it. I don't think she did. The visuals weren't there. The dialogue was off. Lula doesn't talk that way. Grandma doesn't talk that way, and no way would Stephanie's father actually TALK at the dinner table like he did in this book.

No, I don't think this was written by Janet Evanovich at all. It was someone else's good attempt at it, but it fell short. A great read, though, for those that want a fun novel. But it is not for Plum enthusiasts.
22 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2007
Plum Lovin' reminds me of an appetizer. The breadsticks the waitress brings you to tide you over until your meal comes. This book is the breadsticks, Janet the waitress, and your dinner will be book 13, out in June.

It's a short, quick, little read. A fun filled adventure through Trenton with our favorite bounty hunter, Stephanie. Diesel, from the book Visions of Sugar Plums, returns to make a deal with Stephanie. He knows where her latest skipped bond is, and will hand her over if Stephanie helps a few lonely hearts have a good Valentines Day. Stephanie agrees.

Plum Lovin' is filled with the usual crazy antics we have all come to love and expect, plus a few new ones. Some laugh out loud moments with Lula.

Joe and Ranger are not a big part of this book; in fact they both make one small appearance (sigh). Diesel is the main man in this book and I for one was glad to see him again. How lucky can one girl be to have three of the finest men by her side? Ranger leaves town and tells Stephanie he has to talk to her when he gets back. He never gets back in this book, so I am anxious to see what he has to say in book 13.

An enjoyable read. It'll help you get through the next several months while we wait for the next Stephanie Plum adventure.
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2007
For those of us who love Stephanie Plum this novel will be a HUGE disappointment. Like the Christmas novel she did a few years back this is a FANTASY. Instead of hunting down Santa Claus as she did in the previous novel Stephanie is playing Cupid. This is Ms. Evanovich using Stephanie's fan base to make money off of shoddy writing and stilted characters. She managed to get two stars from me because it is Stephanie and there are a FEW good scenes otherwise if you have to read it GO TO THE LIBRARY. DO NOT waste your hard earned money on this Dribble.
on January 9, 2007
First let me say that the story is okay. Just okay. This book is so short that it was probably written in as much time as it took me to read it. The result is a more shallow story development, less of the funnier sidetracks we're accustomed to and a less satisfying payoff.

This smacks of Janet looking for a quick score off the back of a popular series at the expense of her fans and, as a devoted reader of the Plum series, I feel exploited.
22 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2007
I have read, and loved, most of the Stephanie Plum novels, but this one doesn't even seem like it was written by Evanovich. With the exception of predictable language patterns (the man "angling himself behind the wheel") there was none of the Stephanie relationship suspense. No Ranger, 2 minutes of Morelli and a new guy Diesel that she doesn't even flirt with. It was short in length, short on action, and definitely short on romance. If you need to read it, borrow it from the library. Don't spend money on this one.
on February 19, 2007
I've read every Stephanie Plum book and I'm a dedicated enough fan that I'll read the next one just to give Ms. Evanovich the benefit of the doubt. If it remotely resembles this jumbled, supernatural "holiday" story, it will be my last Plum book. Aside from the fact that Joe and Ranger are just mentioned in passing, the entire story premise is ridiculous. If she would like to start a supernatural themed series of books, there may be people who would like them. However, I have lots of friends who read and share these books with each other and I haven't met a single one who liked the Christmas "mini book" and the few who've tried to read this one gave up. Sadly, I was trapped on a plane and had wrongly believed I would enjoy this book during the flight. Instead, I was just angered that I'd wasted the money. It was a truly terrible book.

Shame on the author and her publisher for clearly going for a quick buck off the Stephanie Plum fan base when this book has almost nothing to do with this series! I cannot stress enough how bad this book stinks!
on January 9, 2007
Not much of a plot or story in this "between the numbers" book. The editorial reviews pretty much say it all.

St. Martin's Press and Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC are shamelessly exploiting Stephanie Plum fans by publishing this less than 200 page book in hardback and charging 16 dollars for it. Exploitation of this type is a growing trend in the publication industry and includes the trend of the trade paperback in lieu of the mass-market paperback. Please, understand that the author often doesn't have a choice (contract) and write or email the publisher to complain. The email address is on their website under FAQ. Be sure to include the ISBN number.
St. Martin's Press
ATTN: PUBLICITY DEPT.
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2007
I hate to admit it, but I read the whole book...mainly because I had to see if it had any redeeming features, but also because I'd shelled out good money to buy it. Sadly, I found nothing to make the effort of reading it worthwhile. If I'd browsed through it at a brick-and-mortar store, I'd have dropped it like the proverbial hot potato. I wish Amazon had a money-back guarantee. I'd be taking advantage of it right now.

Because I've enjoyed every "numbered" work of Evanovich, I sincerely hope that my first guess about this one is correct--she threw something together to get it to the bookstores by Valentine's Day, probably with the help of a beginning writing class. That would at least mean that there is hope for another actual Stephanie Plum novel that contains the real characters we've taken to our hearts, not the caricatures who inhabit this inane work.
on March 12, 2007
Ok, I don't get it. How does a book like this become a #1 Best Seller?

Having just read one of Evanovich's earlier books, Smitten, which was predictible but enjoyable, I was thoroughly looking forward to reading Plum Lovin' BUT first things first... I could not believe the way the publisher played with the margins (note the bottom of the pages and the extra spacing), and the line spacing (almost double spacing) to make this book appear longer than it is. And even with these little publisher tricks aside, at 164 pages (for a hardback yet?), this book was difficult to read, let alone finish.
on February 21, 2007
This is just a re-hash of her previous mysteries, "cleverly" timed to come out around Valentines day. I wish Ms. Evanovich would spend more time on her numbered books and less time trying to make money on this kind of trash.