on April 28, 2004
Jemma has been hurt in the past by her deceased husband. Philip has lost a loved-one also, and he finds himself drawn to the petite and striking Jemma. Jemma is determined to make a life on her own, without relying on Philip or her mother-in-law for support. Philip keeps popping in, offering her comfort and support, and she's unsure of how to respond to her growing feelings toward the man.
I thought the conflict was a bit cliched with both of them having loved and lost before. Also, I thought the author relied a little too much on the conflict of the age difference(Philip is about 17 years older than Jemma). The age was a big source of contention in the romance, which I felt took away from the story.
I'd recommend this book as a good read, and I'd also be interested in reading other books by this author.
on June 11, 2002
Gail Martin has a way of telling a story and telling it well. Loving Treasures is more than a sweet love story, although it is that. It's a lesson in how we must trust God in all matters of our lives and not presuppose him. I love the way the hero is a man of 50 and not a young 30-something. And I love the way he struggles with the age difference between him and the heroine while she doesn't see it an issue at all. She has other issues though, and there are times you wonder if these two will ever get together. This modern day retelling of the Book of Ruth is a great read.
on September 19, 2012
This was a sweet story full of emotions, romance, and amusement. Philip was fifty years old and Jemma was 17 years his junior. The main conflict seemed to be their age. They had both been married and widowed. Jemma was now living with her mother-in-law (Philip's older cousin).

Jemma had always depended on people and wanted to prove that she could be independent, which included finding her own apartment, her own job, and paying her own bills. Philip enjoyed taking care of people. He had a job waiting for Jemma, but she didn't take it until absolutely necessary!

The conflict was interesting. Not only the age thing, but Jemma's independence. I must admit that Jemma was a bit too obsessed with it. I thought it was a little ridiculous when she threatened to drop Phillip's jacket in the water when he insisted she use it so she wouldn't be cold. The romance heated up about half-way through and there was plenty of hugging and kissing (which I always love!)

In spite of Jemma's sometimes obsessiveness, I was prepared to give this five starts because I really, really liked Phillip and the way he took care of people and loved Jemma; but then IT happened! I can't go into detail but it's the moment near the end of the book when the conflict arises. I thought Jemma handled the whole thing badly, and the way she jumped into his arms after coming to her senses threw me off a bit.

Still, this story was very sweet. Philip was the kind of man I wouldn't mind marrying someday!
on January 23, 2013
Was a great read, and a great addition to my collection, will most certianly read this one over again and again!!!