5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Begin the New Year!
Published on January 14, 2005 by Deanna M. Yalowitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Cholesterol Cookbook for Dummies
I was looking for an actual cookbook, with lots of recipes. There are recipes, but they're hidden in all the writing. This book is too wordy. Yes, I want to and need to know more about Cholesterol, but that's not what I bought this book for.

Published on January 2, 2008 by D. Bates

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Begin the New Year!, January 14, 2005
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
Many of us make resolutions for the New Year. Some we keep and others are hard to stick to. I did not have a choice about lowering my cholesterol. I just didn't know how to go about it. I found myself in the Dummies section of the bookstore, and reached for Molly Siple's book - Low Cholesterol Cookbook for Dummies. I started skimming through it and the recipes sounded delicious and easy. I purchased the book and am eager to share the news that I have lost 4 lbs in two weeks. Not only are the recipes easy to follow, but the ingredients are all available in my local market. No mystery foods. It is astonishing how quick some of the meals are to prepare, and I just love Molly's little tips on what type dish to serve it in and even how to cut up a mango. I am having my cholesterol levels checked in February and will report my success then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of inforrmation and great recipes, December 13, 2004
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm not much of a cook but I am interested in low cholesterol, so I took a chance on this book. And what a pleasant surprise. Not only is it chock full of information on fats in foods, the good and the bad, but the variety and originality of the recipes actually inspired me to cook.
The chicken recipes alone are simply wonderful.

This author brings impressive and thorough knowledge of cholesterol to her ingenious recipes. It's a well-done and worthy book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low-Cholesterol Cookbook for Dummies, August 2, 2007
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
When I found out I had high cholesterol in my mid-40's I went RUNNING to find cookbooks so I could lower it. I have bought 5 so far, this one is by far the best as far as information goes. It gives lists of foods you should keep around the house to snack on, lists of foods that should be kept handy for cooking and a no-nonsense approach to the health needs of those with high-cholesterol. There aren't as many recipes as some of the cookbooks I have; but the recipes they do have rate above the others in terms of the ease of procuring the ingredients, the taste of the food, and the simplicity of the recipes. I would not waste my time with the American Heart Assoc. cookbook if you are unsure of which to buy. As far as the 4 star rating, I can't see any low-cholesterol cookbook getting a 5 star rating - we who are doomed to a life without sugar, baked goods, white breads, mayo, luncheon meats, etc. are not prone to give any cookbook a 5 star rating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Can Be Healthful and Easy!, January 24, 2005
MBW "Big Eater" (Palm Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
I have bought very few cookbooks over the past 40 years, but this one is a must have. The writing style is warm and friendly. I felt like a friend was in my kitchen guiding me into the world of healthful eating. Molly Siple makes nutrition understandable for the lay person and she gives great attention to the asthetic presentation of food. The author has actually made preparing low-cholesterol meals fun rather than labor intensive. It is now my first-choice book for meal planning. We are eating better and enjoying it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Cholesterol Cookbook for Dummies, January 2, 2008
D. Bates (Cumming, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)

My big mistake was that I bought two of them sight-unseen. I had planned to send one to my mom. After looking through it, I knew it would turn her off also. So now I'm stuck with two copies of the same cookbook I don't want and shouldn't have spent the money on to begin with.

I'm not saying it's not a good book. It's just not a good *cook* book. It should be advertised as book on Cholesterol with recipes, not as a cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Meals, January 9, 2007
Anvanya (Pasadena, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a good starter cookbook for those of us blessed with the extra cholesterol gene. The chapters make the health problem easy to understand. The reicpes are easy to make and I was able to use the principles of healthful cooking to modify some of my old favorites. My sweetie even commented that my cooking was improving and that the meals I have made are satisfying! This is a guy who, when left to his own devices, makes everything into a sandwich.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not-So-Practical Cookbook, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
Since my wife's blood tests recently came back reflecting a higher-than-acceptable cholesterol level, we thought that we'd pick this up for some ideas as to some beneficial meals. But, upon review, there are few "normal" or "practical" recipes!! Most require ingredients that we don't normally have on hand and some of which we had never heard! I understand that "cheeseburgers and fries" would not be included in most "low cholesterol" cookbooks but there have to be more recipes that require more usual or normal ingredients. It's that book for which we are still looking and, I'm sure, will find. This "Dummies" book will serve as a conversation piece, at best. It's pretty-much a waste of money...

5.0 out of 5 stars Alot to read, December 4, 2005
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this book about a month ago. Only half way thru it, but everything I have read so far has made me no longer a dummy when it comes to lowering Cholesterol. Healty eating and Happy Holidays. Great gift to get someone you love.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an okay book, August 18, 2009
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
I've found that the "Dummies" books are 98% reading and 2% practical advice. I am a busy person and do not have the time to read all of the information regarding cholesterol and how the body handles too much of it. Yes, I did learn some things. The homemade tortilla chip recipe was good but the book neglected to say how long you can store these chips in your pantry. Some of the recipes were not well known and so the book has been sitting on the shelf in my kitchen instead of being used.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, September 17, 2011
This review is from: Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies (Paperback)
This cookbook read more like a computer technical manual than a cookbook. I should know; I used to write computer technical manuals. This was less user friendly than something written by IBM.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies
Low-Cholesterol Cookbook For Dummies by Dr Sarah Brewer (Paperback - November 26, 2004)
$19.99 $15.20