Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2008 11:07:06 AM PST
M. Frank says:
I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to such things, but I've been wondering if I have a faulty component in my home theater hook-up. When I hooked up a new Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray to my Sony 46XBR4 LCD via HDMI, I thought the sound output was low. I had to turn the TV volume to 80 to hear low dialog. So, seeking to keep things simple for my little den, I bought the Sony HTCT 100. The sound is improved, but still, I think, lower than it should be. I know this little speaker system isn't the most powerful, but to get a comfortable level I have to keep it at the max master volume setting (50), and the Center and Subwoofer settings cranked up to +6 each. It's OK, but how many of you need the settings up this high?? To see if it could be the Blu-Ray player, I connect my old upscaling DVD player to the HTCT100 and I'd say the sound was about equal to the Blu-Ray. No obvious difference in terms of volume level. So, my long-winded question is: could I be doing something wrong? Could the cables be a factor (I opted for more reasonable ones than Monsters)? All of the components (TV, Blu-Ray and HTCT100) have a lot of possible audio settings, but I was under the impression that using HDMI pretty much set it all automatically. I thought it would all work smoothly if I stuck to only Sony components, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I'd much appreciate any help or advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 9:24:03 PM PST
P. Hillman says:
Follow the directions in the manual for the audio settings. HDMI does not set anything automatically, it simply delivers both audio and video to whatever it is connected to. I can't offer much more help since I am using the Multi-Channel Analog Audio outputs to my receiver. I do not have to increase the volume any louder than any other source.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2009 10:00:19 AM PST
RussG says:
I too recently purchased a Sony Blu-ray player, along with a Sony 32" Bravia TV and Sony Home Theater. Low volume output from the Blu-ray player is a problem I have too. I spent hours on the phone with Sony tech support trying all different kinds of settings and cble connections including RCA Hi-Fi, optical audio cable and coaxial cable. Nothing helped. In the end Sony through up its hands and blamed the Blu-ray standard and disc manufacturers/producers.

Volume from the FM receiver, the TV, and the Home Theater system built-in DVD player are louder than the Blu-ray. Turning the volume up on the FM tuner makes it much too loud if I want. On the Blu-ray I can never make it loud enough even whent the Home Theater is set to maximum.

I don't know where the problem is... Sony or the Blu-ray spec, or where, but if you buy a Blu-ray player, Sony or perhaps otherwise don't be surprised if you are disppointed with the low volume and want to return the unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 11:43:22 AM PST
R. Johnston says:
I had this problem with the Sony BPD-BX1 (which is the S350 w/ S550 backlit remote) puchased from Sam's. I don't have the manual or the player with me right now, but the volume problem was solved by locating the proper audio setting. I would suggest that you work through the audio menu until you find it. Anyway, it worked out for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 8:10:18 PM PST
Scott says:
I had the exact same problem with my BDP-S550 hooked up to my Sony KDL-46Z4100. Then, I looked on page 58 of the blu-ray manual. It talks about "the sound volume is low." I did what the manual recommended: change the "Audio DRC" to "TV Mode." Once I did that the sound was much louder. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 4:54:10 PM PST
Thanks that was exactly my problem - really appreciate your having researched the thing.

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 11:47:03 AM PST
Rajesh Jajoo says:
is the audio drc you talking about in the blue ray menu or tv menu

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 6:16:15 PM PST
I just found it. It's in the top level menu when you press the "Home" button and go to the settings menu all the way to the left and down to audio.

It seemed to maybe help a little, but not too much.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2010 6:21:19 PM PDT
Marty Bird says:
Thank you, the drc thing set to TV mode helped out greatly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 5:35:45 PM PST
Perfect, thank you so much for your help. I'd crank up the volume to 50 to watch a movie, and then go deaf when it would go to the main menu and play at normal volume.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:11:23 AM PDT
I've noticed that DVD volume is better on just about anything I play it on than Blu ray, and I'm using an LG blu ray player. My Home Theater PC plays DVDs so loud I have to turn the sound down to about 15, but with the sound cranked all the way up, the Blu Rays just don't seem to be quite loud enough.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 7:44:07 AM PST
When I stream Instant Video from Amazon to my "Smart" Samsung the only connection being used is the network (Ethernet) cable, the audio/video is being delivered across the network to my television and I also have to crank up the volume into the 50 plus range to get any kind of decent sound at all - remembering to bring volume back down before using any other input sources into the 10 range.

Although suggestions listed in other comment / responses are great for the pass through devices used, none of those are in play for streaming input from Amazon which comes via a cable out of my home router right into the television.

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 11:06:53 AM PDT
Susan Dunn says:
I just rented an instant video and can hardly hear it. All volume controls are as high as they can be. I have a MacBook

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 11:32:08 AM PDT
EHC says:
I had the same problem with a Samsung UN-55F7100 Smart TV. Amazon customer service had me download the latest version of the application, then de-register and then re-register my device from my amazon account. Problem solved.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2014

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray Player (2008 Model)
Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray Player (2008 Model) by Sony
4.2 out of 5 stars   (238)