4.0 out of 5 stars A very good bag, but could use 2 small improvements
Published on December 25, 2009 by buru buru piggu

2.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit
I bought this pouch for the Garmin Approach G5 GPS. It was listed as one of the frequent purchases with the GPS unit. Unfortunately, I find it a bit too small. The pictures make it look like it will hold a spare set of batteries, but the side pouch is barely able to do so.

Published on March 27, 2010 by Not-Too-Bright

2.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit, March 27, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro 3.5-Inch Navi Handheld GPS Carrying Case (Black) (Electronics)

The main section of the bag is a snug fir for the GPS unit and its belt clip. I have to remove the clip in order to put it into the pouch. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a larger bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good bag, but could use 2 small improvements, December 25, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This carabiner clip case is styled after the chalk bags rock climbers use and is marketed towards outdoorsy types and people on the go who may not always have both hands free. The vertically-oriented chalk bag hangs off your belt loop or other strap and the drawstring opening allows you quick, one-handed access to your device. Instead of fumbling with a zipper, you can just reach down, stick your hand through the elastic opening and pull out your unit. I prefer carabiner-style bags over other kinds of bags (like shoulder straps) because of the convenience and outdoorsy feeling I get wearing them, almost like a side arm. I don't have to fish through my pockets or backpack when I need the device.

Soft and cushiony, the neoprene bag protects your device against scratches, accidental drops, and other mishaps. One potential flaw, however, is with the way the carabiner is attached. The clip itself is metal and very strong, but where it meets the bag, it is not sufficiently ruggedized. Instead of a riveted eyelet or a thick strap of ballistic cloth with reinforced stitching, it is a thin piece of nylon material sewn into the neoprene skin (see my photos in the gallery). It does not look like it can take much punishment. An accidental yank or a snag against an object (like a door handle or hook) might cause the stitching to rip. This is only really of concern in outdoor environments where trees and branches might be sticking out, but since this bag is marketed towards such users, I am flagging it as a consideration.

Also, as mentioned by other reviewers, the spare battery compartment is too tight. It fits 2 AAA batteries perfectly, end to end, but not 2 AA batteries. They have to be crammed in there and forced closed.

Overall, an attractive bag that is convenient if you like the chalk bag design. It also fits iPods, digital cameras, and other mp3 players. If you prefer a zippered, non-carabiner version, Lowepro has the Lowepro 4.3-Inch Navi Sleeve GPS Carrying Case (Black).

3.0 out of 5 stars A curious product?, January 7, 2010
Gwyneth Calvetti (West Salem, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I write anymore, let me share that I use my handheld GPSr primarily for geocaching....nearly weekly. When out in the field, it is not at all unusual for me to be hiking several miles through dense wooded areas, slogging through wetlands or paddling a kayak along a river to reach my intended destination. So please keep that in mind as you read my comments.

This carrying case is built with the kind of construction one expects from Lowepro; quality materials, practical closures and little extras, such as the carabiner clip for one's belt. The design is such that it has the flexibility to accomodate different brands of handhelds. Most often, I use a Garmin GPS 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator, but it can also hold my Magellan Triton 500 Handheld Navigation System nicely. I liked the little zipped compartment for storing an extra set of batteries, but did find it to be a really tight fit for the two AA Hybrids my unit requires. The neoprene fabric offers excellent protection from nicks and scratches to the handheld unit itself.

That said....as one whose use of the handheld requires it to be visible and in hand for most of my travels on trail, the enclosed nature of the design is a bit curious to me. I have found myself using the carrying case more for storing my handheld when not in use. On the trail, it becomes an extra item to manage. I would guess that for those whose use involves following well marked trails for most of their journey, this carrying case would be a nice way to carry the unit while keeping it protected and hands free for other activities. Hunters heading to a deer stand or fishermen to a hot spot may find this to be exactly what they need to keep their unit stowed away once they arrive on site and start doing what they came to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not made for the Garmin G5, August 29, 2011
artgolfer "Golf nut" (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This pouch holds the Garmin G5 just fine. But if you install the brackets onto the Garmin, it will no longer fit. And the little side pocket I thought might be neat to put two extra AA batteries in turned out to be worthless. One battery would fit but no matter how much I tried I couldn't force the second one in. So to those reviewers who say they were able to get them both in after a bit of a struggle, I salute you. I couldn't do it. Therefore, what was the purpose of that side pocket. It seems to me this pouch was a design they had laying around and now are trying to peddle it as an accoutrement to the Garmin G5. Well it's a bag, I guess, but that's it. I feel a bit ripped off that Amazon listed this bag with the G5, kind of implying the two go together. Well, they don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handsome case, but could be improved, December 20, 2009
Greg Nyquist (Eureka, California USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have long been looking for a case for my Garming etrex vista GPS. Up to now, I've been carrying the unit in my camera bag, mixed up with my DSLR. This case, then, fills a real need. Although the neophrene material isn't particularly thick, I found it provided plenty of protection for my (admittedly) rugged GPS. Most of the reviewers here have complained about the tightness of the battery pouch, and it is a problem. I had difficulty opening the zipper on the pouch all the way, as it tended to catch on one of the batteries. But there is a slight advantage to not having the batteries loose: they won't fall out when you unzip the pouch, nor will they jostle around while in the pouch. In any case, I don't find the tight fit of the batteries that big a deal. I'm a bit more concerned about the decision to use an "extra-sturdy" carbiner as the means of attaching the device to one's person. No doubt the carbiner itself is sturdy enough; but I wonder about the material used to attach the carbiner to the bag. And if you hook the carbiner to a belt loop, the bag tends to bounce around a bit against one's thigh. I would have preferred the ability to attach the bag to the belt itself--although, to be sure, I will admit the carbiner method allows fast access to the bag itself, as it's very easy to clip it on and off to access its contents.

To sum up: the bag, despite its imperfections, has worked quite well for me on some of the shorter hikes I've used it on; but I am just a little concerned on how well it will hold up on longer jaunts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro 3.5" Navi Handheld GPS, January 20, 2013
It suits my purpose for being able to store and carry my Garmin Approch G6. It offers some protection and the clip is handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serves its Purpose Well, December 14, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great case. Neoprene in general is awesome stuff -- as a matter of fact, the two waterproof compartments in my kayak are sealed with nothing more than a layer of neoprene stretched over an open hole. And that method keeps every single drop of water out, no matter how bad the seas are. So in my mind, you really can't go wrong with neoprene.

The carabiner is okay, but honestly I don't expect it to last that long. Around here, carabiners are subject to a lot of use, rain, salt water, dirt, etc. The one that came with my Garmin Colorado 400T was a higher quality in my opinion, and the gate doesn't really spring back anymore. The quality of the carabiner is not much of a concern to me though, as the small ones are not that expensive.

The oft-repeated comment that the battery compartment is a bit tight is true. I guess technically, I could deduct a star for that. But I don't see it as being a big enough problem to merit the loss of an entire star. Maybe a half.

On the other hand, I have to disagree with the following two complaints that I've seen here:

1) "There should be a window to view the screen". At this point, we're talking about a whole different kind of case. The neoprene on this case affords a full 360-degree protection from bumps, scratches, drops, etc. Adding a plastic window would significantly reduce the protection on that side. This case wasn't designed to be a form-fitting glove-style case like you would have for a cell phone, so I wouldn't consider the lack of a window as an "issue".

2) "It's not waterproof enough", and/or "I don't like the drawstring". First of all, I can't think of a handheld outdoor GPS receiver that isn't at least highly water resistant. The bag doesn't need to be waterproof. Secondly, the drawstring style of closure was employed because it allows the user to access the contents easily with one hand. One-handed operation would likely be impossible with any waterproof seal. And judging by the description's statement that it has an "innovative chalk bag design", it makes sense to me that the intended audience here is mainly climbers and hikers -- people that would definitely appreciate one-handed operation.

Of course, this isn't to say that these comments are unfounded or incorrect -- but one needs to keep in mind the manufacturer's intended application and audience when deciding if something is a problem or a feature. Like complaining that your Mazda Miata doesn't have the towing capacity of your friend's Chevy Silverado.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, May 16, 2011
Nothing special about this product. Probably could have found something better at Walmart. A major issue I find frustrating is the compartment for storing extra batteries. Two AA batteries don't fit in the zippered compartment advertised for this purpose. Wouldn't buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been perfect, so close!, December 3, 2009
P. Falcioni "Ducatisti" (Central Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 2:27 Mins

A short review on the LowePro 3.5 Navi Bag; showing fitment of different digital devices in this 4.25" x 3.5" x 1" neoprene pouch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for my Garmin!, November 28, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked this carrying case up to use with our Garmin navigation unit. The Garmin measures 4.5 x 2.3 x 1.4 and it fit snugly in the case. The case itself is well constructed and the drawstring closure is solid and well placed. The neoprene material offers minimally effective protection for the units screen. The carabiner is sturdy and a must have for a trail GPS.

A few nitpicky details: It is unclear if the case is water proof. If I was taking it out on the trail, I would want it to be. The side pocket for batteries is a nice feature, but is very small and the zipper handle is a bit too big. And lastly, I would have preferred there to be a bit more neoprene material to protect the screen.

All in all a decent bag for a decent price.

Rate and Discover Movies