This is a perfect bag for carrying:
- 1 DSLR camera with 70-200mm f/2.8 (i.e. big) zoom lens attached (mine is Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 which is comparable in size and weight with Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8)
- 1-2 additional lenses and/or flash (I put 17-80mm and 50mm f/1.8 lenses and the SB-400 flash
- a couple memory cards and extra battery

It's pretty...
Published on December 5, 2008 by Sidarta Tanu

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is
I bought this bag after reading the reviews here so I thought it was only fair that I do one of my own.
Firstly it is a well made bag, the materials all look and feel robust. It's biggest asset is perversely also one of its failings,
it is designed to not look like a camera bag and it certainly succeeds and looks instead like an expensive laptop bag, or a bag to...
Published on October 9, 2010 by Steve Mac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect bag for carrying 1 DSLR camera + 2-3 total lenses and flash, December 5, 2008
This is a perfect bag for carrying:
- a couple memory cards and extra battery

It's pretty sturdy and tight (with the stabilizing strap), but that's good because the camera and lens won't move much inside the bag.

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Can fit SLR attached with the big 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (or equivalent)
2. Enough room for extra lenses and flash
3. Topload feature for easy access
4. Sturdy and good padding to protect the expensive equipment inside
5. Slim profile and more discreet design (vs some other pro camera bag)
6. Stabilizing strap to minimize movement
7. Lots of compartment for memory cards, batteries, lens cap, etc
8. Less than 3 lbs, and compact size
9. All weather cover is nice to have (and essential for professional)
10. Expandable (i.e. you can manage the divider/padding to create different size of space)

Cons:
1. Only take 1 full size SLR (I tried 2 D40s + 18-55mm and it works)
2. A bit pricey (for my amateur standard)
3. Close to 3 lbs (depend on how you see it)
4. Not a backpack model (if you prefer carrying backpack type bag when photographing)
5. Can't put your regular 15 inch laptop in this bag (however you can squeeze in the 8.9 inch netbook). If you want to add your regular notebook, you will need to get the Lowepro Classified 250 AW series
6. Might be a bit too much bag/space for a quick short trip where you don't need to bring your 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (use the Lowepro Topload Zoom series bag instead)
7. Not as easy (as I thought it would be) to pull out the camera in and out of the bag but it's reasonable (maybe it's because of the design and position of the zipper and the fact the bag is still stiff since it is new. I'm expecting it will get better as the bag will get softer/break-in with use)

In conclusion, this is a very good (and very stylish) bag if you want to carry a camera attached with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (or smaller lens), with 1-2 extra lens (smaller lenses than the 70-200mm f/2.8) and/or flash.

4.0 out of 5 stars I finally found the (almost) perfect camera bag!, December 4, 2008
Gwyneth Calvetti (West Salem, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lowepro Classified 160 AW Shoulder Bag for DSLR and 1-2 Lenses (Black) (Camera)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Finding just the right camera bag is always an interesting proposition. For one thing, each photographer comes with their own set of expectations and needs; discreet in busy cities? Copious space for every possible lens and accessory? Quick access for spur of the moment photo ops? All of these situations create slightly different demands. I've tried backpack camera bags, holster style camera bags and the classic box style camera bag. They all had their good points, but none ever quite fit my needs.

My needs are to carry my digital SLR, with my 400mm lens and tele-extender, my low light fixed focal length lens, spare battery packs and memory cards. I want my camera bag to mostly stay out of the way as I hike through the woods or the city, but to allow me quick access to whatever I need from within without a lot of complications. The Classified 160 AW Shoulder Bag has come about as close to meeting these needs as any I've used.

The bag has a very comfortable padded shoulder strap which allows adjustments to fit the user. Up high under the arm, hanging low at the waist, it can fit both ways. A quick movement off the shoulder will allow the user to access the camera or other lenses by opening the zip-top compartment. The protection offered is as good as it can be in a soft-sided camera bag. I have hiked along a riverbank, alternating between the short lens for scenic shots, quickly switching out to the telephoto for soaring eagles over the bluff, all the while keeping my equipment safe from bumps and scratches.

The bag is designed so that the user can attach the big lens to the camera's body and carry it that way, which is how I chose to pack mine. My standard lens and low light lens are safely tucked into the side of the main compartment.

Zippered pockets are generous, including a small pouch with netted and zipped slots, attached by a strap within the outside pocket; perfect for putting spare memory cards. The other side of that little pouch has a clear window, perfect for putting identifying information on your bag, but keeping it from public view.

Although the bag is fairly weatherproof out of the box, it also has a completely weatherproof cover that pulls out from the bottom compartment, encasing the bag to keep everything nice and dry in the wettest environments. My only wish would have been some kind of strap or attachment to carry a tripod, and it would truly be my perfect camera bag.

Add to all this the elegant styling that sits close to one's body while navigating the sidewalks, airports or wherever else you travel, and this bag is nothing short of (almost) perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A flawless DSLR bag, for hard use, November 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My first impression of the Lowepro Classified 160 AW bag was that it's incredibly lightweight. It almost felt like the large box it shipped in was empty.

THE MAIN COMPARTMENT: It's not accessed under the big flap on the front -- it's reached by opening a zipper on the top, near the wearer's body. That zipper opens very wide, even out onto little wing tips to allow easy, full access to the contents. The interior is light grey, well-padded, soft and fuzzy, with many padded dividers which have velcro strips on the sides. The bag comes configured for a DSLR and a few good-sized lenses. One divider has a soft cloth flap attached to a thin pocket which looks good for holding filters. The dividers are all removable, and those velcro strips can attach to anywhere on the fuzzy compartment sides, making for a very flexible space, or allowing the bag to collapse flat for storage.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES:

* Another strap connects to the shoulder strap to wrap around the body to the opposite bottom corner of the bag, holding the bag close in case of fast or extreme movement. (Note: setting up the strap is a little confusing at first. Detach the shoulder strap, run it through the loop on the side of the auxiliary strap that doesn't look like it can attach to anything, and re-hook the shoulder strap. Then extend the auxiliary strap, run it around your body like a belt, and attach the other end to the loop on the bottom of the bag. Which side that will be depends on which way you wear the bag. Once it's adjusted, you can quickly get the strap off and on using the buckle.)

* A light-grey all-weather covering, to keep off heavy rain, wind-blown dust, or extreme sun heat. It's tucked into a velcro pouch in the back, and remains connected when stretched over the of the bag. There are slits in the cover for the shoulder strap.

* The shoulder strap itself is, of course, adjustable, and the pad on it has a rubberized textured bottom, to prevent slippage. On the top, there's a little leather tab, to catch anything else you might have on your shoulder. The padding is so sturdy that it just lays flat until the bag is loaded up with gear. Makes trying on the empty bag kind of awkward.

* A zipper allows the main compartment to expand another inch or so wide.

* There is a nice, removable tri-fold wallet for memory cards, with six individual spots which can fit up to compact-flash size. The wallet connects to a strap for easy access.

* There are several additional pockets in the front under the flap, and in the back with a zipper. The front has a clear spot for an ID, and pen holders. One of the front pockets fit my netbook (an Acer Aspire One with the extended battery) like it was made for it.

WORKMANSHIP: This bag is clearly meant for long, hard use -- I'll update this review once I've had a chance to test it better. So far, everything looks incredibly sturdy. The outside appears to be thick, textured nylon. Anything that would get a *lot* of wear is thick leather -- the handle, the sides of the opening where the zippers run into, the zipper pulls, the tips of the dividers in the main compartment. In fact, the bag is so sturdy, it feels like I need to break it in. It's still a little stiff.

I have had other products in lesser Lowepro lines, and they've held up beautifully. I imagine this one will do so even better.

APPEARANCE: One intention of this "Confidential" line is to look less like a camera bag. At first glance it looks like a large-ish vertical messenger bag, in plain matte black, with a few leather accents. On closer inspection, though, the Lowepro logo and the quality details give a good hint of what you're likely to have in there. But, just walking through a city or an airport, it shouldn't be obvious.

CONCLUSION: I'd like to think of some negatives, but I can't! If you have a DSLR, lenses and equipment that you need to carry around with you, access quickly, and take good care of, this bag is an ideal solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera Bag, November 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very well constructed bag, made of high-quality nylon material with a little leather trim. The bag has a good deal of padding but is very lightweight.

What I really like about the bag is that it does not look specifically like a camera case, so it passes for a small messenger bag/backpack type look - wearing/carrying it does not scream "I have an expensive camera in here".

PROs:
* High quality construction
* Well padded.
* Very well thought-out, flexible design (not too many compartments, but instead a few convenient compartments).
* Built in weather protector which comes out of bottom of bag to shroud the entire bag if you are out in the rain, etc.

CONs:
* The bag has no true downside. However, just trying to set expectations....I think most photo buffs like to carry a good amount of equipment in their bag. If that is you, keep in mind the interior of this bag (due to the vertical design and being so well-padded) is deep, so it will definitely store a large camera and a couple of large zoom lenses, but it is not about to store an over-abundance of equipment.

That said, the overall bag size is 8 3/4" W x 6 1/3" D x 11" H inches inside, 13" W x 8 3/4" D x 14" H inches outside. Here's what I loaded into the bag, while still be able to easily reach and handle the equipment:

* Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
* Raynox Lens Doubler (about 9" long)
* Panasonic battery charger.
* 5 or 6 camera cables
* Panasonic Camcorder (palm style)
* 4 DV tapes for camcorder
* 3 lens filters
* "Steno" size notepad
* Several small camera/lens cleaning products.
* Men's wallet
* Blackberry Curve

While I usually prefer a horizontal camera case, once I got used to "thinking vertically" while loading up this case, I found it to be very efficient to use and quite roomy. It holds what it was meant to hold plus a little more. Just don't expect it to hold an arsenal of cameras/lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Museum, November 28, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I went to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I carried around the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW backpack. It sticks out a good 12 inch off my backside. I always get stopped at the museum for wearing a backpack that when I turn, bump people and art objects off. Unsightly as it was, Vertex 200 AW backpack can carry a whole lot of abundant camera equipment and gave me allot of option to shoot photographs. Not to mention, it carries two completely different camera systems and lenses.

Lowepro Classified 160 AW Shoulder Bag gives me the undercover look of shooting photographs undetected in comparison to the Vertex 200. It lets me carry a set of good long lens and fixed focal length like f/1.8 85mm and a f/2.8 70-200mm. It also lets me use the battery grip pre-mounted on the camera with instantly enlarging carrying capacity with zipper-controlled space increase. Just like a dependable luggage for carry-on, this small bag has room to fill-up with options to shoot during day time and at night. It's also good for going to crowded places, like at the farmer's market on Saturday morning or to the Disneyland getting lost in the crowd trying to not get bumped by moving foot traffic of people who are also trying to get somewhere.

Carrying a smaller bag also, put me to the priority, what camera and what lens should I keep for this trip? The best thing about it is, while using the Classified 160 AW Shoulder Bag, I get a truly easy access to the camera through top-zipper-opening instead of having a Vertex 200 backpack to get off my back and unzip the bag open, and flap-open wide to get into a lens to swap. This was much easier at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I didn't bump into any while turning to get a shot of the seal that suddenly appears from the bottom of the access tunnel below the deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, November 30, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update 4/30/2013 Still using this bag as my main camera bag. I can't believe Amazon doesn't sell it anymore but I guess newer models are out.

Update 3/3/2011
I have had this bag for over two years. A year ago I purchased a Nikon D300s and now use this bag for it. Everything I need (extra lens (or two), extra batteries, flash unit, lens cleaner, even a book) fits very well. I prefer the over the shoulder vs a backup, it is a lot easier to get something.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Lowepro Classified 160 AW is a single bag with lots of pockets "designed for the hardworking photojournalists who carry them". It appears to be a well made bag with a plain look. It looks and feels a bit like plastic except for the one inch leather stripe down the front.

Most bags with a flap have a pocket in the flap. This one does not.

It has four pockets including the main compartment which comes with five Velcro pieces to divide the main compartment for many different camera and lens sizes. I had no problems organizing my D50 with three lenses and a flash with room to spare.

The zippers all seem to be of good quality which is extremely important on a bag.

It does come with a rain cover attached to the bag so you won't misplace it. However, you have to remove the strap to put it on. Since they already use a lot of Velcro, they could have made it so you slid the cover around the strap.

One pocket is closed via a flap with a space for your identification.

Included is a "removable memory card wallet". I suppose that professional photographers take lots of extra memory cards. I'll use it to store extra batteries for the flash and other things.

There is some padding but you won't be checking this bag at the airport.

Overall it is a nice bag with lots of room for a camera and lenses plus a few extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel bag for photographers with an iPad, August 6, 2010
This bag is easy to use and carry...just the right size and it doesn't look like a camera bag. I especially like the sepia color. The interior has lots of room for all my camera equipment and the top makes it easy to get my Canon 40D with lens out. There are lots of spaces for other personal items, such as keys, tickets, id, etc. The front pocket is just large enough to fit my iPad, so now when I travel with my camera equipment I can take my iPad with me. Its a great bag for travel...not too large and not too small. It has a great finish, just what you would expect from Lowepro. Lowepro Classified 160 AW Shoulder Bag for DSLR and 1-2 Lenses (Sepia))]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera case with iPad pocket., December 18, 2010
R. B. Minor "rminor" (Huntsville, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
This case easily holds my Canon t1 and two lenses. There is quick access to the camera. It also has a great pocket with a clip closure to hold mt iPad. All the various booklets, cables, memory and chargers fit into pockets. The iPad has a book type cover and it still fits great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bag for certain occasions, November 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not wanting to be repetitious, please read the other reviewers for the technical information. What I would add to my fellow reviewers is how I use the bag. I own a CompuTrekker AW, a Slingshot 300, and a Top loader. I purchased this bag to bring to family gatherings or short trips where I'm not hiking around. I can get my Canon 30D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-70 2.8, a couple smaller lenses, my flash and other small items into this bag. I'm not a pro photographer but I am excited to bring this to weddings where I'm asked to take family or reception shots. Instead of lugging the giant backpack or the slingshot, this is a great bag to bring when wearing something formal. Just like my other bags, the rain cover is a great feature that also comes in very handy. The equipment is well protected by ample padding and, as another reviewer stated, does not scream out, "I've got expensive camera equipment in here." I'm very happy with this bag. It turned out to be perfect for what I had hoped to use it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera Bag for Over the Shoulder Operation, November 29, 2008
Yo' Vinny (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LowePro Classified 160AW is about as good a camera bag as an over the shoulder configuration can be. It can easily hold a Canon DSLR and the 70-200mm lens attached as well as an additional lens inside the bag. It has a loop for holding LowePro external lens cases as well, so it could in theory handle three lenses.

The two key benefits of the bag are that it is conspicuous for carrying a camera and it can hold the camera with a long lens attached. Most people will think you have briefcase or laptop type contents. As such it can provide the DSLR and the attached zoom lens at fairly easy reach in a situation where having the camera out might draw attention.

The access can be a bit difficult at times as I'm comparing it to the LowePro Slingshot I use as my primary carry bag. It does have some surprising attached advantages including an expandable zipper, a lens cleaning cloth (soft nylon), a wallet for flash cards, a rain cover with hidden storage area.

I really like how the bag can allow you to carry a camera safely and securely ready to go with a full zoom attached while looking like you have nothing more than an office or laptop shoulder bag with you. It helps you get into places for shots that might not otherwise be accessible with a camera over the shoulder. It would probably also reduce a theft situation somewhat.

Overally a good design and definite LowePro quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›