4.0 out of 5 stars Almost just right...
Almost just right..., April 10, 2008
By Brett Despain (Draper, UT USA) - See all my reviews

Published on April 10, 2008 by Brett Despain

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Its Job But Has Drawbacks
Published on March 5, 2010 by W. Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost just right..., April 10, 2008
Almost just right..., April 10, 2008
By Brett Despain (Draper, UT USA) - See all my reviews

Still looking for the perfect bag...this one comes very close. I own a Lowepro Compurover AW and a Tamrac Adventure 9 bag. The Compurover is too heavy and you have to crack it open like an egg to get to the Camera compartment. The Tamrac is the perfect size, but you have to take the bag off and lay it on the ground or your lap to open the camera compartment, otherwise you risk spilling out all of your gear! Not good.

This Fastpack 250 intrigued me because the side access pocket allows access to your camera quickly without taking the backpack off. Guess what? it works. You really can get your camera out quickly while still wearing the bag.

I bought this as strictly a travel bag. I'm a pilot so I needed a medium sized bag that I could fit in the cockpit while carrying my 40D and 3 L lenses. I also need the top compartment of the bag to carry a few snacks, water and other supplies.

Okay here's the breakdown.

Pros:
1. Slim design, fits in cockpit and on top of my roller suitcase with ease. Also fits very nicely in the space underneath your seat in an airliner.
2. Side camera access in a serious advantage. I considered the sling packs, but I like the comfort and security of having a full backpack. The sling packs are uncomfortable after a while and hard to position to get your camera out without twisting up your clothes or coat.
3. It's lightweight and comfortable to wear. Significantly lighter than my other two bags.
4. Not as pricey as my two other backpacks. I paid less than $90.
5. Side pocket fits a good sized Nalgene water bottle.
6. Medium size and all black color doesn't shout "Camera Bag!" while wearing it.

Cons:
1. No all weather cover flap. A major oversight if you ask me. I took the one off of my Tamrac to use with the Fastpack.
2. No chest strap. I think it needs one.
3. It's almost a little small. I wouldn't go any smaller than this bag because you'll be leaving something home that you'll want later.
4. It needs a side or bottom strap that you can attach a monopod to. I'm thinking of having one sewn on. For now I've attached a carabiner to the top handle and strap on my monopod there.
5. Outside pockets are really worthless. They are sewn in flat and don't have room to expand. You can get a few filters and a flash card wallet in them but that's about it.

Like I said it's not perfect, but I'm giving it four out of five mainly because I like the overall size and design of the bag as well as the convenience of the side access camera pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars vs the slingshot 200, May 29, 2008
Christopher Lee (La, Jolla, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
I was considering the Lowepro slingshot 200 and the Fastpack 250, and boy am I glad I went with the fastpack. Here's a quick side by side comparison:

1. Camera storage compartment: pretty much identical between the two models.
2. Ease of Access: Much easier and more comfortable for the fastpack; just let go of the right strap and swing the bag around. The slingshot swings around and ends up on your chest, pretty awkward feeling/looking; the fastpack ends up near your left waist, allowing you to suavely draw your slr.
3. Size: the fastpack is bulkier than the slingshot, though not by much.
4. Price: the same for both models.

Other random fastpack 250 notes:
1. Laptop storage compartment: the zipper opens along the side, not around the whole backpack.
2. Cellphone pocket: my samsung t-629 fits very snugly.
3. I use this bag for school, storing a slim folder in the laptop pocket, and a couple of 8x6 books in the top compartment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid bag, April 9, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
This, like my previous lowepro, is very strong, durable bag. It's a hybrid that serves well if you have carry on camera equipments, a laptop and minor stuffs (like cloths, a book and small personal items), but like every other bag, depends on your own needs, it could be very useful, or totally useless.

pros:
1. well built, I never had quality issue with lowepro and I wouldn't expect one with this bag either.
2. laptop compartment protect your very well, I carry my laptop every day with it, and never worried
3. good for one or two camera system, but limited lens. it's designed for large bodies, like D300, still got room in it, so any SLR should be fine.
4. good extra upper compartment, for books, everything, I can even put a jean, and several t-shirt, and/or limited personal items in it. yet it is just a little shy of A4 size, so keep that in mind when you consider it.
5. plenty of small pockets, ideal for all kinds of digital items.
6. very good design to flip around for quick access to cameras (see below for more), and no, it's not easy for thieves to take advantages of that without let you notice.
7. I once put around 25lbs in it, it you feels very good with very good weight support, you wont easily get tired

cons:
1. the bag, is bulky, though after used it I get used to it, but it is much larger than I think, especially I use it as everyday backpack to work, so in a peak hour subway train, you need to take it off and put on floor.
2. no all weather cover, I really dont understand why they take that feature off, maybe it prevent you from flip over with the cover on, but do u really want to use your camera in that condition? I still believe it's a better than none feature (given that said, the bag will shield off most moisture and light rains, I had it in ligh rain for 5 minutes walk one day and it protect my laptop and camera well, but still with out the cover, I'll always think twice if get heavier.
3. when you get ur camera, 2-3 lens, a laptop, and maybe even a book or so in the bag to make it a 20-30lbs monster, don't expect you can flip it around that easily. check the video, you see they only use the smallest bag in line for that demonstration. but should expect that when you just want to ``carry'' more things with it.
4. it really depends how you will utilize this bag, it might not be able to satisfy your need of capacity, but still, cameras, laptop and ``extra'' things? those are already a lot of things.

I like this bag though it's a little bit big, check out lowepro website for their video about it, you can have a feeling about its size and internal dimensions:
[...]
And if you dont put laptop in it, it's fairly easy to flip around.
Further some people worried about the upper compartment, afraid some weight might push down and damage the cameras, yet I tried, the separate in the middle is very strong, so that's also very good point. It's a hybrid, so there are compromises in design, and definitely not perfect. But overall if you want not just a pure camera bag, and want to put more personal things with you when travel, especially as airplane carry-ons, this bag is very good, and compare to 350 to see the better balance between size and usability.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Its Job But Has Drawbacks, March 5, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
I just completed my first trip with the Lowepro Fastpack 250, which I purchased because it provided a compartment for a laptop along with one's camera equipment. Up to this time, I had been using the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200. The Fastpack 250 held all the equipment I normally carried in the Micro Trekker, including a digital SLR with 28-80 and 70-300 zoom lenses, an external flash unit, a point-and-shoot camera, a compact camcorder, USB cables, and battery chargers. With all that and my 14" laptop and its charger, the backpack was quite heavy. Even after unloading the laptop and chargers in the hotel room, the Fastpack 250 was still considerably heavier than the Micro Trekker with the same equipment. What's more, after walking around with it for several hours, I felt some strain in my shoulders and upper back. This could be due to the fact that all the camera equipment rests in a compartment that is in the lower half of the back pack, so it pulls down on your shoulders.

The Fastpack 250's feature that allows you to swing it around to extract your camera without having to remove the pack or open the whole pack adds an advantage over all others. However, that benefit also has a disadvantage. You have to decide which lens you're going to use and mount that lens prior to packing the bag. If you change your mind, you have to remove the backpack, unclip two clips, and unzip two zippers to get to the rest of your equipment. Also, the camera equipment compartments are neither as roomy nor as flexible as in the Micro Trekker.

If you take a considerable amount of camera equipment and a laptop on trips, the Fastpack 250 is a good choice, but be prepared for some discomfort and inconvenience. Unload as much weight as possible in your hotel room, before going sightseeing. I will use the Fastpack 250 for travel, but will continue to use the Micro Trekker 200 for all my everyday needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But Very Close, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
Let me start off by saying that I have absolutely no prior experience with camera backpacks. I can tell you what I like/dislike about my Fastpack 250, but I'm unable to compare it to other packs on the market. With that disclaimer out of the way, let me just say I love my new Lowepro Fastpack 250! It served me well during a local photowalk and, honestly, there were times I forgot I had it own. It meets most of my requirements for a bag:

Comfort
It was extremely comfortable. It has two straps which, to me, is very important. No worrying about the bag falling off while bent over taking photographs. The straps and the bag are very well padded and the whole thing, especially the ergonomic straps, just seemed contoured to my body shape. It's important to know that I did not have a lot of gear in my Fastpack. I only carried my Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens and an extra 55-200mm VR lens. The only other accessories I carried were the charger and usb cable. I also brought along my wallet, cell phone, and a bottle of water (in the side mesh pocket). Amazon lists the bag weight as 3.6 pounds. Obviously more gear will add to the weight of the bag, so keep that in mind.

Easy to Use
I found the Fastpack 250 fairly easy to get in and out of. The side entry compartment is easy to access while still wearing the pack. Just drop the strap from your right shoulder, swing the bag in front of you from your left shoulder, unzip, and grab your camera. To open the side entry compartment completely (to access compartments for extra lens, etc.) you must first unclasp the security flap and then unzip the compartment completely. This takes more time and should not be done while still wearing the bag.

Lots of Storage
That's an understatement, at least for my storage needs. It doesn't matter if I have lots of empty storage space now because I will acquire extra lenses, external flashes, etc. as time passes. I wanted a pack that I could "grow" into. There are no less than seven storage compartments. Of course, that total includes the cellphone pocket connected to one of the straps and the outside mesh pocket (that I used for holding my water bottle). The bottom storage compartment holds my D40 with attached 55-200mm VR lens quite comfortably. I have my smaller 18-55mm lens in a neighboring compartment. My charger and other cables are in another compartment, which leaves me two empty compartments for extra lenses and/or an external flash. The interior compartments are Velcro , so they are easily removable and can be reconfigured to meet your individual needs. The cellphone pocket is quite small and might not fit older, larger cell phones. Using it for a smartphone or Blackberry is out of the question. My Krazr fit well, but it is a little snug.

Security
I opted for the all black bag so, despite the Lowepro name, it does not scream camera bag. The clasped flap over the bottom compartment also provides added security.

Airline Approved
I'll be able to test this out myself during our Fall vacation but, from what I've read, others have not had a problem using it as a carry-on. Apparently it will fit under the airline seats on board. Lowepro lists it as an airline carry-on on it's website.

Able to Attach a Tripod/Monopod
Sadly this is not true. I've read under some of the Amazon reviews that there is a workaround for this using a carabiner, but this is not a technique I'm familiar with, nor have tried.

Weatherproof
The Fastpack is rain resistant, but not rain proof. For that reason, I'm thinking of picking up a rainproof cover for it or, at the very least, sliding in a kitchen-sized trash bag as backup in case I get caught in some torrential downpour.

Affordable
I think the price, for the features included, is quite reasonable for such a comfortable and durable bag.

Well, there you have it. My new Lowepro Fastpack 250 is not a bag for hauling all of your camera equipment around, but it is a great back for transporting your main gear during day trips or while traveling. Its comfort factor is through the roof and it should prove to be durable enough to last me a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Rudd's MyMac.com Review, August 27, 2009
Tim E Robertson "Publisher MyMac" (Battle Creek, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A GEEK'S DILEMMA
In addition to my love affair with all things Apple (sans those moments of invasive encroachment upon my electronic liberty), I am a lover of photography and photography related technologies. Like many photo-Geeks, I love to carry along my MacBook and a DSLR when leaving the house. Considering the size of most DSLRs, finding a backpack that would allow one to securely and comfortably carry both pieces of tech has never been an easy task. If you could find a backpack that could meet the above mentioned requirements, it generally was large, bulky, and non-pleasing aesthetically (let's just say it, UGLY).

As a leader in this space, Lowepro has been producing a wide selection of protective carrying solutions for photographic and electronic devices since 1967. Prior to my evaluation of the product reviewed in this article, my experience with Lowepro was limited to word of mouth and the occasional scanning of an online review. I was excited to finally get my tech stained hands on one of these vaunted products from Lowepro. As I awaited the delivery of the Fastpack 250, I felt a sense of excitement. Would this be a great solution to the problem facing so many Geeks, or would it be another in the long line of also-rans relegated to the pile of bags and backpacks that just didn't fit the bill?

DESIGN
Once the Fastpack 250 arrived, I removed it from the shipping container and found a bag that was well constructed and stout.

The front offers a huge main compartment to store just about anything you need on your trip (more on this compartment later). Additionally, there is a smaller quick-access compartment in front of the main compartment for those little things you need to access quickly. In the lower section of the front, a buckle-secured flap doubles as a cover for the zipper clad storage compartment underneath and a camera compartment opening guard (more on this later).

The business end of the Fastpack is the left side (when worn on the back) of the backpack. This is where all the magic happens, so to speak. Moving from the back to the front, The first compartment is secured by a zipper that runs the vertical length of the bag. This is designed to securely carry a widescreen notebook computer with a screen size measuring up to 15.4" in length. I really liked the ease with which the side opening allowed me to insert and remove my notebook. IMO, this is much easier than the normal top load backpack.

Moving forward from the computer compartment, what I consider to be the greatest selling point of this backpack, is the side access camera compartment. The intelligent design of this compartment really sets the Lowepro products which utilize this feature, apart. The previously mentioned front flap provides a guard against opening the side access too far and dumping your expensive camera equipment onto the not so friendly ground below. The side access opening was designed to allow you to easily slip the backpack off the right shoulder so that the backpack may then slide under your left shoulder. With the backpack still anchored by the left shoulder strap, you may easily access your camera for that quick picture opportunity. You can then easily secure your camera back within the backpack, slide it back over both shoulders, and done.

The right side of the backpack provides a mesh pocket with a drawstring. This is handy for a water bottle or something that requires immediate access. The drawstring is a nice addition to provide the greatest flexibly possible.

The back of the Fastpack 250 is designed to properly distribute the weight associated with carrying around a notebook computer, DSLR camera, and all the associated connectors, adapters, and cables. In addition to the two appropriately padded and very comfortable shoulder straps, Lowepro has added a secondary support system to the Fastpack 250 through a padded adjustable waist-belt (more on this later).

While I am a fan of simplicity in design, I am also attracted to beautiful, sexy, and svelte industrial designs. I guess that is why I have been a fan of most of the products which have been mercilessly thrust upon me and my severely depleted bank account by that captain of Cupertino and his merry band of minstrels. As such, I would like to see Lowepro trim a few inches from the overall size of the Fastpack. Indeed, it would take some rethinking in-order to continue to allow someone like myself to carry a full-frame DSLR and a ubiquitous notebook, in a design that was as thin and sexy as physically possible. Don't get me wrong, I love this bag. However, I could love it even more if it were a little less.

FEATURES
Lowepro has taken a very straight forward and simple design perspective for the Fastpack 250. There are not a lot of gadgets and gismos here. Just a well constructed backpack with three major sections (computer, camera, and storage). It is refreshing to find a product that is simplified around and focused upon doing a really great job on the basics of what a backpack in this space should be. Just what you need, nothing more, nothing less. Jump to the product page for the specs.

USABILITY
The Fastpack 250 arrived just in time (thanks Vanessa) for me to take it on a vacation/photowalk I had planned with my family. I knew this would give me a chance to really put the Fastpack to the test. The night before we left on the trip, I laid out most everything (sans clothing items) I would be packing in the Fastpack 250 during my photowalks.

As you can see, the Fastpack 250 can handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. While the spacious main storage compartment can indeed handle both large and small items, I found it hard to find particular items because everything must be placed into one big compartment. My work around was to combine similar items into ziplock bags and then place all the bags into the compartment. This compartment would be much more usable if it was divided into different sections through one or more dividers that could be arranged as needed similar to the camera compartment.

With the Fastpack 250 loaded with my MacBook Air, Canon 5D2, adapters, cables, water etc., I was off for a day of fun under the sun. While the weight of the pack was substantial, I was able to dramatically lessen the stress on my upper body and shoulders by buckling and adjusting the waist-belt. I could hardly believe the difference once the belt was employed. It was like night and day. Once I arrived back home from my trip, I left everything but the MacBook Air in the Fastpack and added a White MacBook and then changed that out for a 15" MacBook Pro. While the weight change for each notebook was noticeable, the waist-belt evenly distributed the weight and allowed the added weight to be carried comfortably. Great Job Lowepro!

As I stated above, the greatest feature of this backpack, IMO, is the side access camera compartment. With the Fastpack fully loaded, I was able to remove the right shoulder strap, slide the entire pack under my left shoulder, easily remove my camera and, "get the shot." Restoring my camera into the Fastpack was just as easy as removing my precious (sorry for the Rings reference). At no time did I worry about the security of my highly sensitive and expensive electronics. I think this is the best endorsement I could give any bag or backpack.

MAKING A GREAT PRODUCT EVEN BETTER
As noted above, there are a few areas which could be improved to make this great product even better. Adding configurable dividers to the main storage compartment would allow a better utilization of this large compartment. Because the Fastpack 250 will generally carry substantial weight, adding a pad to the top handle would allow the pack to be lifted without any discomfort to the hand. Finally, a little redesign on the next version to reduce the overall size and footprint while maintaining the basic storage capabilities would widen the appeal of this product to a larger customer base.
MyMac.com Rating:
I am very impressed with the Lowepro Fastpack 250. It is a simple design that securely protects your computer and camera while providing easy access to your gear. Even with the minor recommended improvements, this is a strong product that should be a serious contender for anyone in the market for a backpack within this category. I am awarding the Lowepro Fastpack 250 an outstanding rating of 4.5 out of 5 in our MyMac.com Rating System.
Original Review - [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Day Pack, May 8, 2008
I am extremely pleased with this camera bag. At first I thought it might be a little too big for my needs. I wanted a day pack that I could get my Nikon D200 with 18-200mm lens attached plus carry my 70-300mm and lensbaby but not be a huge backback. It ends up this pack was the perfect size.

Pros
- camera on the bottom of the pack for weight distribution
- side opening for easy access to camera. Can slip the camera in and out without opening up the whole pack
- pockets in the front for accessories like extra batteries and flash cards
- zipper side for lap top is next to your back (I use this compartment to stick my wallet in and push it to the far side so it is more secure)
- zippered compartment that will take a light weight jacket along with pockets for cell phone, pens, and keys
- another compartment which I can put some snacks in
- a side mesh pocket for a water bottle

Cons
- as others have mentioned on Lowepro packs, no attachment for carrying a tripod
- would like a few more velcro compartments on the flip side where the other velcro pockets are
- would like a little more depth on mesh pocket for the water bottle
- wish it came with a rain cover

I also like the fact that when you take it off and set it down it stays upright. I wore it all day (of course the camera was around my neck which made the pack pretty light) and it was very comfortable. Excellent construction and excellent price for what you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great daypack that holds your camera equipment safely!, March 9, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
I had been looking around for a good camera bag that would make me as 'hands-free' as possible during my travels. In the past, my bag routine during my travels would consist of a Samsonite pull-bag, a small backpack for my personal stuff and camera equipment, a Cirrus toploader for the DLSR, and the occasional laptop bag. After getting the Fastpack 250, things have gotten more convenient: it's just the Samsonite and the Fastpack (the bottom compartment fits my Canon 450D + 18-55mm, 55-250mm, hoods, charger, lens cleaning liquid, spare batteries, a Powershot and SDHC cards, while a Dell 1420 laptop fits nicely into the rear) whenever I travel now.

Of course, the Samsonite gets checked in at the airports. And the Fastpack 250 is small enough to be carried onboard aircrafts; it would fit in the smaller overhead compartments of budget carriers, too.

One of the big reasons that led to my purchase of this bag is its spacious top compartment for personal items. Other Lowepro bags seem to shortchange on this particular design. I like having a camera bag that is something like a cross between a camera bag and a small backpack, for a more varied, functional use. This is it, and no other Lowepro bag I have checked out seems to come close to such a function. I usually put a book, a blower, a Nalgene botte and some snacks in the top. It can even fit two shirts and a light jacket, which makes the bag a good one for an overnight trip.

My only gripe is the side mesh-pocket, which could have been slightly wider and taller to fit my 1 litre Nalgene bottle, and make it easier for me to grab a sip without unzipping the bag. I usually put a small bottle of water, or a notepad in that mesh-pocket. It also fits a rolled up windbreaker.

And yes, the bag does allow me to remove my camera quickly!

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the bag can feel on my shoulders, even when it's packed to the brim. It seems Lowepro has got the ergonomics of this design well worked out.

The bag lacks a rain cover, but it does appear to be water resistant enough for short ambles in the rain. I got caught in a downpour once, and when I found a shelter, I sneaked a peek at the bag's contents, and they were still dry.

The cushion that surrounds the bottom compartment does its job well: I took a hike on a volcano in Bali recently, and during my descent, I slipped a few times on the loose gravel, landing butt-down on the rocks - and the bag took a few smackings. But my dear camera and lenses were completely unscathed.

If you need a comfortable daypack that holds your camera equipment safely, look no further. This is IT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small if you have more than just an additional lens, January 7, 2011
Aman (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack (Electronics)
This bag is a great find at the price and very likely it will be perfect for some users. Aside from holding the laptop and a DSLR, it has a large top pocket, sufficient to comfortably hold noise cancelling head phones, a book to read, sunglasses, laptop adapter, and so on. The construction quality looks nice, the finishing is perfect, and the bag is comfortable to wear loaded.

The bag fits in the underseat area: this is a big plus since for many interesting destinations the last leg of the flight is a small plane where the rolling carry-ons are checked in at the gate (also called valet tagged, pink tagged, etc. depending on airline) and laptops are not allowed in those gate checked bags. You probably don't want to check in your DSLR and lenses either. With this bag, you can keep all the valuable electronics on you, and still have space for the stuff you really need in-flight, like that book or head phones.

The fast access feature actually works: one can remove the camera with one shoulder strap still worn on the shoulder.

BUT:

- The camera storage area is somewhat cramped: if you have more than one additional lens and a flash, it will get tricky to pack and access. I was trying to fit just one dslr with lens attached, one additional lens, one flash, two hoods, a couple of filters, and quickly realized things will get hard to access since they have to share compartments or fit one below the other. And what if I buy another lens...

- The large top pocket seems left unfinished on the inside, in terms of inner dividers or pockets. I would have liked an additional layer of pockets within the large top compartment to neatly pack an iPod and a portable GPS, and sundry cables.

- No tripod straps.

Another thing to note is that even though the laptop pockets fits a 15-inch laptop, it is extremely hard to put in or remove a 15-inch laptop (thin profile) from this pocket. So if you plan to remove the laptop from the bag a few times while at the airport or in flight, be prepared to struggle. I would get a bag that is specified to hold a 17 inch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag!, May 24, 2008
B. Davis (Williamsburg, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
The Lowepro Fastpack 250 is an excellent camera and laptop bag. Although designed for a 15.4" laptop it could easily accommodate a larger computer. I put my Nikon D300 with mounted 18-200 VR lens in it with no problems. The bag fits easily under an airline seat (even on a CRJ-200) and has room in the personal gear compartment for four paperback books plus some snacks! The only negative is that the carry handle could use some padding.

Rate and Discover Movies