5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for changing your set up on the move!
Published on July 24, 2009 by A. Joshua Dritz

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good bag, but not quite good enough
Published on September 3, 2011 by Anthony Ruggeri

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for changing your set up on the move!, July 24, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
I took this bag with me on a back packing trip in Moab, Utah. We had a base camp where we slept but we trecked the area daily to see what we could discover. Not knowing what to expect I was able to pack a D300, a 200-500mm f/5-6.3, a 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6, a 17-50mm f/2.8, a 90mm macro f/2.8, a tripod, and accessories. The great thing about this bag is that it made it very easy to change lenses on the move. Not knowing what we were going to walk up on I had the opportunity to shoot everything from my telephoto to macro. I simply took down the shoulder straps (while the bag is supported by the waist belt), and swung it around on my hips. The bag lays flat like a table supported by your mid section. Since the bag opens from the opposite side of most backpacks I was able to change my lenses as I walked. The bag stayed sturdy and made a great table to lay the camera on and switch out lenses. This was great because not everyone I was with was a photographer. I was able to change my set up, talk with my friends and keep up while getting my shots. Another great benefit to the camera compartment opening from the opposite side is that when you set your bag down, the ground touches the outside of the backpack. This helped prevent from dust getting into the camera compartment when opening it. This was an amazing bag to take when you want to bring a lot of equipment. The bag is sturdy enough to support a large amount of weight while still maintaining functionality. I was most impressed that the bag could lay flat like a table and still support all the equipment in the bag with out over extending from my waist. This is a very comfortable, functional and well designed bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good field backpack, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
I shoot a Canon 40D and carry a 400mm f5.6, 17-40mm f4.0, 50mm f1.8 with accessories and various gadgets. The pack rides well and I have hiked for hours and it still feels comfortable. The weather cover works very well as I have been caught out in the rain and had to deploy. I did have to remove the tripod and carry seperately in order to cover the pack. That is the only reason I did not rate 5 star.
I do like the ability to keep the pack attached with the waist strap and rotate to access the camera storage area. All in all a good pack for camera gear in the field or around town if you need to carry more than camera and one lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds many lenses with Hoods when reconfigured, December 13, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
One of the features I have found missing on many reasonably sized backpacks is he ability to hold multiple lenses with hoods. After reconfiguring, this one can do it. The bottom velcro strips run full length of backpack interior allowing you to run the main partitions side to side instead of up and down.

For example, mine is now configured as
-upper section has Canon 5D sideways and turned on its edge with normal zoom (24-105) and hood reversed
-middle section has another Canon 5D sideways with telephoto zoom (100-400 or 70-200) and hood reversed
-lower section has wide zoom (17-40) on end with hood reversed plus 100mm macro with hood reversed either on end or laying down
With this arrangement all lenses but the telephoto zoom can be interchanged with the one on the camera in the upper section.

Note that retrieving items from lower section is partitially obstructed by the cover that does not open all the way - that's what supports the backpack while you have it open when attached by belt strap only. This is a problem in retrieving large squared off objects from that section but not in retrieving lenses.

Unlike the Slingshot series that is preconfigured similar to the above, this gear is carried comfortably, thanks to the full shoulder strap system and lumbar support on the Flipside that was missing on the Slingshot.

The stretchy pockets for water bottles and such are on both sides and have a sliplock strap above them also.
The upper section seems a bit deeper than the rest of the backpack interior so as to better accomodate pro cameras or cameras with battery grips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, October 22, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
I spent a lot of time trying to choose the right camera backpack for a 3 week trip - a lot of time.......I ended up choosing this and will definitely give it 4 stars. The good: I like the design where it opens from the "back"; the bag is big - but not too big (it is fairly narrow); I stored my camera with attached lens (24-70), 2nd lens (70-200) AND an extra body, a 20mm lens and a teleconverter in the "backpack" part and plenty of chips, lens cloths, filters and a few documents in the outer pocket. Heck, I even stashed my netbook inside with the camera(s) for plane rides and used the outer side pockets for water bottles! I used the tripod holder - one of the reasons I chose this bag - and while it works, you'll definitely want to buy or make a "sock" for your tripod or you'll scratch it up when you set the pack down to open it up. The rain cover works well too - and was well used on this trip! The cons: ok, I don't have a good solution to this, but if you wear a backpack, you'll have to take it off to get your gear out......and I was switching between lenses a lot. While next time I'll have 2 bodies - one attached to each lens, I will still need to get them out of the bag as I won't have them both out at the same time (too much dust etc). And this just takes time.....

Bottom line - I like the bag a lot - and after the trip, I still think I made the right choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good bag, but not quite good enough, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
I was very excited to try out this backpack as a replacement for my venerable Mini Trekker AW. I had tried a number of options for a combination travel and field bag, including the Mini Trekker, a much smaller Flipside 200 (which is just too small for travel), and an REI day pack with individual camera and lens cases. My goal was to have something that I can use as a camera bag and carry-on for flights, and as a combination camera bag/hiking backpack out in the field for day hikes.

First, the good aspects of the Flipside 400:

- It's got more space for camera gear inside than the Mini Trekker. I was never quite able to fit my 300 f/4 lens into my Mini Trekker, but it wasn't a problem with the Flipside, even with an attached teleconverter. In fact I was able to fit both my 70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/4 into the Flipside, plus camera, 17-55 f/2.8, and a couple smaller lenses and accessories. Without one of the big lenses there is plenty of room for a bigger flash, additional gear, or an extra SLR body.

- The reverse access works very well and completely eliminates the old concern of finding a place to put the backpack down that won't get mud or dirt all over my clothing when I put the bag back on. Take it off, put it down, open it up -- easy.

- The waist strap is more robust and comfortable than the one on the Mini Trekker, so more of the weight can be on your hips rather than your shoulders.

The bad?

- The front compartment is really not all that big, and has very few pockets and zip compartments internally. The Mini Trekker really surprised me with how much non-camera gear could be put in the front compartment, and it had extra pockets and attachment loops for adding additional gear. I tried strapping on a second bag to make up for the lack of front compartment space; it was workable, but far from ideal.

- The all-weather cover fits over the bag, but doesn't have much extra room. If you attach an additional lens bag to the outside, or carry a tripod in either the official tripod holder or strapped into the pocket on the side (my preference), it's not going to fit.

- The bag is definitely a better fit for shorter people (I'm about 5'11" with a tall torso), and not very adjustable. For the weight to sit comfortably on my waist, I had to extend the shoulder straps about as far as they could go, and the bag got very loose.

Between the lack of space in the front compartment and the sizing issue, I've stopped using the Flipside. I had picked up a Clik Elite Medium Nature bag a year or two earlier, and hadn't used it much because of its size and weight, but I've switched to it and found it so far to be the ideal combination camera and hiking backpack. Granted there is a substantial difference in price, but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit!, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
To begin with let me tell you the gear i have for the bag: 1 camera body and 4 lenses, plus 4 len's hoods, 1 flash unit, 4 filters, 1 tripod, cleaning kit, pens, flash cards, extra battery, Nikon battery charger, flash diffuser, cable release, & wireless remote.

Gear Detail for main compartment sizing purposes:
Camera body: Nikon D300S, Lenses: Nikon 24-70, Nikon 70-300, Nikon 10-24, & Nikon 50mm prime (1.4), Nikon SB600 flash, 4 filters (& their cases), plus each lens hood. I have all this gear in the main zippered compartment. it is a nice tight fit but i still have room left for another small lens.

I needed to purchase a larger bag after upgrading to the D300S last spring and adding the 50mm prime. I searched Amazon for a long time trying to find "the bag". I previously had the Lowe Pro Slingshot 200 ( i believe it is now the 202). I loved the slingshot as i really love to hike and bike and when i see a nice shot, it was the perfect bag to pull out the camera and catch the shot you needed. Now with the the Flipside 400 bag, I also put my tripod on the outside carrying strap and pocket, something the slingshot could not handle.

What i first loved about this bag is how light it is. It is not big and bulky. It also provides me security access to my gear as well as excellent protection from people & weather (rain cover built in). (see the demo here at amazon). Second, while the bag is strapped on your waist you can access the camera, lenses and flash without having to lay the bag on the ground (nice option in snowy, wet, or sandy conditions. The dividers inside the main compartment easily adjust to fit each lens, camera, flash and also the filters. I am 6' 1", 185lbs and the bag fits nicely on my shoulders. I can hike for the day with it with no back or shoulder issues.

The two straps on the outside top of the bag are perfect for strapping on a sweatshirt or jacket you may need or remove depending on your situation.

The water bottle compartments fit a nice 16oz bottle with no problems. the outside zippered compartment for your other stuff, holds, the charger, extra batteries, mini flash light, cliff bars, cable release, remotes, etc. it has pockets and flaps on the inside for sorting your stuff. It is not roomy but it also carries exactly what i need. i have packed a small sandwich in their too,

There is no laptop compartment, ( a drawback for those looking the the all in one solution) but i have been able to put a MacBookPro 13 inch in the main camera compartment with no issues. I did not hike any distance with this set-up, i simply passed through airports and packed like this when driving to friends and visiting family where i knew i could unpack upon arriving. Most recently, a put a pair of pants and a dress shirt in the compartment with the camera gear for flight i took. On that note, it easily fits in overhead airline and under seat locations (737's so far).

If you are looking for a nice, camera bag solution, which is light, quick access to your gear and to change out a lens, and have a tripod along, and also keeps your gear secure in crowded venues, then you should consider this bag.

One issue i have had with the bag is the chest strap, the adjustable chest female plastic clip became detached from the bag. When i wrote an email to Lowe about this, (using their web page link "contact us") they immediately responded and sent me a replacement. So, having never dealt with Lowe before, i consider this excellent customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Flipside is Awesome, December 7, 2010
Jan L Mitchener (PLEASANT LAKE, IN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
This bag is awesome. It holds all my lenses and my nikon D90 with a 500 mm lens attached. It has lots of storage and is comfortable to wear.
I have a plate in my neck and it bothered me to have my camera hanging around it from the strap, so this bag was a great thing for me.

Also liked the pine and green color as I go in the woods a lot to shoot wildlife.

Jan Mitchener

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
With every purchase i make, Lowepro seems to be getting better.
like all have said before, this bag is great in every aspect.
Not to big, and not too small.
it really deserves a 5 star rating.
I went from the 200 to 300 and now the 400 , as my stuff just kept getting bigger. not in quantity but actuall size of my gear.
It comfortablly fits my Nikon D300s with grip, 17-55, 70-300, 18-200, 50, 35. Sb900 flash
I know people who read reviews like myself. really want to know the negative side of the product, so as to get a heads up on what to expect.
on a positive note the 400 has what the 200 and 300 was missing = comfort
on a negative side, all the flipsides are designed to put the camera on the top section of the bag, which is the heaviest in all your gear, so when you swing the bag around on your waist and open it, because the most weight is on the furtherest part of the bag away from you, there is much more gravational pull on the outer edge, creating a twisting down motion. To overcome this, pack your stuff with the heaviest items as close to the bottom of the bag as possible.
The beauty of the 400 is that it opens almost fully, ( not like the 200 and 300 that left the last 2" almost inacessable ) the bad news is that the lower section of the 400 is too short for the D300s with grip, so i filled up that area with the 70-300, 35 and 900 flash.
All in All i love this bag and the pine green is a good match for this bag.

many people claim this bag to be huge, it's the same size as all other backpacks give or take an inch, yes only an inch.
Lowepro should have adjusted their website to show the external depth as 7" and expandable to 10"

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Field Pack, July 6, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
This a good field pack, Its very comfortable. I put in a D80 with Nikon 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm F1.8 , SB600 and a 3.3 lbs Benro Tripod. I was able to hike for half a day and my back didn't hurt. The straps are well padded and very well made, I am sure it added to the overall comfort. The overall size is just right for a 5'8 person. The outside tripod support hold the tripod well, however having it outside make it unwieldy to put down the backpack and remove the camera. In my case since I have the Benro travel version. I fold it and place it inside with the camera. At 14.1 inches it fit just right. The only thing that I wished for with this backpack is a notebook case. I vacillated a long while between the FastBAck 250 and the Flipside. Flipside wins because of the comfort, tripod case and All Weather cover.

Although the Fastback 250 advertised a notebook case, fast access to your camera. However putting a 13 inch notebook, makes the backpack pretty uncomfortable. Since Fastback is as big as a Flipside 400, it is also too bulky to swing the backpack to get to the camera. The straps also is also not as comfortable as the one in the Flipside.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good urban solution., July 6, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack (Pine Green) (Camera)
Plenty of other reviewers have adequately covered this bag's many fine attributes. Overall, it's an excellent piece of equipment, and if Amazon would let me I'd give it a 4.5. I own this and several other LowePro bags and I've never been disappointed in any of them.

First, if you have specific requirements for gear that absolutely must fit in your camera bag, you should start by using the "bag finder" tool on the LowePro Web site. Then measure your gear as accurately as you can and make sure it falls under a bag's interior dimensions. This bag will take my Nikon F4s, or a D7000 with a grip attached, but with very little clearance over the height of the camera body.

While I recommend this bag, there are a few issues.

I do street photography in a big city, so I was attracted to the concept of hanging the bag by the waist to access the main compartment. Unfortunately, this seems like a good way to drop something expensive. I tried it first a few times over my couch, and then once or twice in the field. It feels safe enough to fish out a camera with a short- to medium-length lens. But I usually shoot with an 80-200mm f/2.8, and to safely deal with gear that large I have to set the bag down. And that's no big deal. But if you're working with long, heavy lenses, I wouldn't expect to be able to use the bag as advertised.

I thought at first that the non-removable waist belt was going to get on my nerves, especially on the subway. But if you have the bag full, it's going to be heavy enough that you want to have the belt around you most of the time.

My biggest complaint relates to the adjustable -- and removable -- sternum strap. It's nice that it's adjustable, but twice I picked the bag up and had the sternum strap snag on something and pop off. Fortunately I noticed both times, otherwise I'd be writing to LowePro for a replacement. I now leave it in the front pocket unless I'm trekking a good distance.

Lastly, the outer zipper pocket is surprisingly roomy. But because of the back access to the main compartment, at some point you will have to set the bag down with the full weight of your gear resting on whatever is in that outer pocket. I'd be leery of putting a nice phone or bottle of sunscreen in there -- my granola bars always emerge noticeably flatter than when they went in.

All that said, if anything happened to this bag, I would certainly buy a second one.

Rate and Discover Movies