100%
Lowepro LP35252-PEU Nova 170 AW Backpack (Black)
Color: BlackChange
Price:$47.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 6, 2011
This was the first camera bag, bought from the bargain section of B&H when I bought my Nikon D5000. As I now look for a new bag to accommodate my expanded kit for an international trip, the biggest thing I look for is what each bag can actually carry. Below is a list of different combinations of cameras and lenses I have fit in this bag. Mind you, for most of this there were no dividers in place, and the bag was absolutely full to capacity:

+Nikon D5000, 18-55mm VR lens, 55-200mm lens, Canon SX120 point and shoot
+Nikon D5000, 18-105mm VR lens, 55-300mm lens, medium-sized Sunpak flash
+Nikon D7000 w/ 55-300mm VR lens, Nikon D5000 w/ 18-105mm lens (cameras facing up, real tight fit, but it worked!)
+Nikon D7000 w/ 18-105mm VR lens, 55-300mm VR lens, 50mm/f1.8 AF lens, Sunpak flash
+70-200mm/f2.8 VR lens, 55-300mm VR lens, 50mm lens, Sunpak flash (no camera body in here, 70-200mm lens was diagonal across the bag)
+several 67mm and smaller filters, AA batteries in the front pouch

Up until I added the 70-200mm to my kit, this bag has served me well. Since I usually have one of the zoom lenses on my D7000 and in hand, this bag serves well for carrying my remaining lenses. Up to that point, I would typically have the 55-300mm or 18-105mm lens on the D5000 / D7000, laying on its side, and the remaining zoom lens, 50mm lens, and flash surgically fit into the bottom of the bag below the camera. So for its size, as long as you don't carry large professional-quality lenses, you can actually fit a good range of lenses into this bag, or even two smaller SLRs with lenses attached! I will continue to use this bag for smaller outings or other occasions where I want my camera handy but don't anticipate heavy shooting, or to hold my D5000 with my older lenses so I have lower quality but full kit for friends to use if they want to join in any shooting but don't have a camera themselves. The rain cover has come in handy on multiple occasions, and for more than just keeping rain out of the bag. I have also laid the rain cover out on the ground when I need to take a knee, and those with narrow frames could even sit uncomfortably on this when you need to get down lower but your clothes or the conditions mean you don't want to get too dirty or wet.

In summary, for what it is this is a good bag, and with a little bit of finesse you can fit more than advertised in this bag! For those that aren't carrying around big zooms or telephotos or lots of accessories / other gear, this bag is a good fit.

UPDATE: I have more lenses, and I still use this bag. Now that I use a Black Rapid strap to keep my camera on one hip, having this bag on the other hip makes the load well-balanced and pretty comfortable. Here's what I typically fit in it now. Yes, it is a stretch to get it closed but it does fit!

+Front pocket: AF 20mm f/2.8D, AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G, AF 50mm f/1.8D, 1.4x teleconverter OR two of those lenses + SB-700 speedlight
+Main compartment: AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G, Nikon D7000 with battery grip and attached 12-24mm f/4, AF-S 24mm f/1.4G, or Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro
on June 29, 2009
This bag has plenty of room for a DSLR body, kit lens and tele-zoom lens with space left over for a compact camcorder or a point-and-shoot. One does not have to unmount the tele-zoom before putting it in the bag as there is plenty of depth to accommodate the longer configurations.

Storage is everywhere; There are elastic pockets on each side, a zippered flat pocket in the back, a zippered flat pocket on the front of the flap and a zippered pocket (as well as memory storage) on the interior of the flap. There's also a large zippered organizer pocket on the front of the bag. All of these contribute to being able to load up with batteries, chargers, cables and cleaners and still have room for the manuals.

The stowable rain fly is a great feature while the sliding strap pad distributes the load reasonably well. The belt loops are sturdy and welcome for the times that a backpack or other shoulder straps might interfere with an over the shoulder carry. A very well thought out and durable product for the mid-level amateur or someone who wants all their gear in in one bag and wants it protected.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2013
I was looking for a bag to hold my D7000, Nikon 18-300mm DX lens, and Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 lens. I gambled on the the Nova 160 first but it was not quite tall enough (it fit, but not well enough to make me happy). No big deal, I gave that bag to my mother. The 170 is taller than the 160 and it allows my 18-300mm lens to be mounted on my D7000 and sit lens down. The 17-55mm is snug alongside with a divider between them. My battery charger, spare battery, remote, lens cloth, and extra memory all fit as well. I needed a "day bag" that allowed me to grab my camera quickly and still have a few accessories as well. This bag is sturdy, roomy, and a good balance of being big enough, without being too big! If you are mounting a long lens this is a good choice!
on December 28, 2012
Love this bag. It is well-constructed and has some nice creature comforts. Lowepro makes the same basic bag in numerous different sizes. Choosing how much bag you need is entirely a personal preference. I actually bought a few different models and started playing. I settled on this to carry just enough gear to be out and about but not necessarily carry absolutely everything. This one (170AW) carries:

- One full size DSLR (Sony A77) with 16-50mm lens attached (I insert it lens down so that it's easy to remove the camera on the go). Lens hood can be attached or sit unattached under the lens.
- Extra Battery & Charger (fits in the small space underneath camera grip)
- Zoom Lens (fits vertically next to camera body/attached 16-50mm lens combo)
- Alternately, I can substitute the zoom lens for my External Flash (Sony HVL-F43AM) if I plan to only be indoors
- Misc accessories fit in the various other pouches (SD cards, USB reader, cable, spare flash batteries, etc)

Admittedly, all of this gear is a fairly tight fit. But there there are padded dividers with lots of velcro to customize your fit and provide protection. For the average enthusiast, this model strikes a nice balance between size and capability.

One aspect that I really like about Lowepro over other brands is the quick release buckle on the main cover. If you're in and out of your bag a lot, this is highly valuable since you can easily and one-handedly access and stow your gear on the go. When you're not actively shooting, there is also a zipper that secures the main compartment completely. I rarely use it, but nice to have options.
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2011
I purchased this camera bag as an in-between sized bag for my Nikon D7000 DSLR camera. It is perfectly sized to hold my Nikon D7000 fitted with a Nikon 16-85 zoom lens, the camera's charging system, and a second lens of equal physical size to the 16-85 (or smaller). The bag is just big enough to hold the D7000 fitted with the Nikon 70-300 VR zoom lens (and the 16-85 as well), but it is a fairly tight fit. I use this bag as my go-to hiking kit. The bag has belt loop straps in the back that I actually use to clip to the chest strap of my backpack. It is a little cumbersome if any climbing is necessary, so in those conditions, I just slip the whole camera bag into the large compartment of my backpack. If not climbing, "hanging" the Lowepro off the front of my pack provides easy access to my camera, while keeping it safe from the bumps and leaving my hands free for hiking poles - without a camera swinging to-and-fro as I travel in rough country. For reference, the hikes that I take are substantial - I have taken this camera kit on about 10 different hikes to the summits of 14000 ft peaks in Colorado... and captured some very nice shots along the way that would just not have been possible if I had my camera stashed away inside my backpack. By the time I had taken off my backpack and gotten out my camera the shots would no longer be available to take (big horn sheep, mountain goats, and the like). Highly recommended!
on March 16, 2012
Here's what fits in the Nova 170 for me:

Canon 50D with attached Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-300L next to it. It's a tight fit, you actually have to put the 70-300L in first as the 50D partially rests on top of it, but it works. The Canon 70-200 f4L is taller than the 70-300L; it will *kinda* fit as well, but you have to put the 50D in at a bit of an angle and then one edge of the 50D bumps against the lens housing - not optimal, but it can be done. My other lenses (Canon 10-22, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8) fit as the second lens with room to spare.

Canon 50D with 70-300L attached is a bit tall for the bag, but it will fit. Canon 50D with the 70-200L is too tall and does not fit, period. Canon 50D with shorter lenses like the 135L attached fit in the bag easily.

Note that there is a bit of room left on the other side of the Nova 170 for a spare battery or charger, or a very short lens or teleconverter (I put my Kenko 1.4x here). And there is room in the front pocket for this type of stuff as well.

I'm also quite pleased with the features and quality of this Lowepro bag. For example, I appreciate the Velcro pockets for memory cards in the lid and the rain cover that stores in the bottom of the bag. The Lowepro Nova 170 is a great, reasonably priced small bag for when I don't want to haul everything around.
on December 4, 2013
This is a fantastic bag. It survived an absolute beating. Think 90+ km/h winds, rock scrambling, and hiking in Torres del Paine and Tierra del Fuego during a BLIZZARD! Not to mention: this bag was banged against rocks on more than one occasion, and the cushioning protected my camera. This thing kept my camera and my lenses dry, did not rip, and stayed comfortable the entire time. The waterproof cover was a nice touch, but I found I did not need it even with the rain and snow. Excellent bag that exceeded all expectations.

I used it to hold a Nikon D7000, Nikkor 17-55 f2.8, and Sigma 8-16 along with several filters, lens cleaners, lens caps, etc. The perfect size for hiking. I didn't even use my camera strap with this bag because the bag provided such easy access.
on May 6, 2014
This bag provided great protection when on the go and has a build in rain cover which comes out from the bottom. I've bought two of these so far (one from amazon) and they are fantastic. They're small enough to be portable for travel, yet big enough to store quite a bit in here. I have a canon 5d mark ii and it sits inside with a 24-70mm f2.8 L lens comfortable. You can also fit another lens in the main compartment like a 24-105mm or your charger. It surprisingly holds quite a bit. I also fit a 430ex ii flash in the front zipper compartment in addition to my camera. Overall, this is great if you want something durable, spacious, and light for travel.
on July 11, 2014
Always loved this backpack. Has more than enough room for my camera and two lenses in addition to extra zippered pockets for other things like filters and lint free wipes. I especially like the little pockets provided for your flash cards. The outside has room for your water bottle on either end. The raincoat cover is nice even though I have a weather sealed camera. All in all, a great bag.
on August 5, 2012
It comfortably holds a Canon 5D w/ 24-105 attached (and the hood attached) and a 70/200 f/4. The Canon 5d w/ 70-200 f4 will fit as well, but its snug. Love the rain cover, you never know its there, but it is if you need it. Material is durable and its well made. Would recommend.

See 1 answered question