4.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed and functional
Published 23 months ago by Lion_01

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, with a couple limitations for me…
Well here's the thing: I had a previous photo backpack that was nice. It had plenty of room for the camera and whatever accessories I needed to take with it. I could also load the camera from the side (which was really convenient) BUT, I couldn't stand using it because the straps were just cutting into my arms. Bad design for a backpack.

This bag completely...
Published 9 months ago by C. Cras-meneur

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed and functional, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Lowepro LP36431-PWW Photo Hatchback 16L AW (Slate Grey) (Electronics)
In my never-ending quest for the ultimate photo backpack, I recently came across this new Lowepro Hatchback. It attracted my attention with it's combination of lightweight materials, sleek design and modest size (at least for the 16 liter model). I was looking for a small to medium-sized daypack with good ergonomics, and so I thought the Hatchback 16L would fit the bill nicely.

First things first: the Pepper Red definitly isn't red! It is actually bright orange, which is not ugly at all, but it will take some getting used to.

Secondly, the bag really is lightweight. The materials do feel a little thin, but they seem to be tough enough. The wide shoulder straps are very good and nicely padded, as is the back panel. This will certainly not cause issues on a long day in the field. The inside camera compartment (accessed via the back panel) is also padded very well and has an extra storm-flap closure, which is good against dust or moisture.

Beware that the camera compartment of the 16 liter version will only hold a medium-sized DSLR with standard zoom lens attached, and some smaller accessoiries. I have a Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens, and this setup occupies about 75% of the space inside the compartment. This means there is not enough room left for any additional lenses! If you want to take extra lenses, they will need to go in the top compartment, which is roomy enough, but of course not padded.

This upper compartment is surprisingly roomy and adds a great deal to the bag's functionality. It will easily hold your lunch box and a light jacket or rain gear (although it will be a little tight if you also carry addittional lenses in there). It has 2 elastic mesh pockets and 1 zippered compartment. These are useful for smaller items such as keys, filters, cables, etc. A water bottle can go into 1 of the 2 outside mesh pockets, and the front pocket is useful for flat items such as books, newspapers or a tablet PC. There are no dedicated tripod attachments, although you could put a compact model in one of the side mesh pockets.

Overall, I think the Hatchback 16L is a well-designed and very functional camera bag. I really like the sleek design and low profile of the 16L model. It's not a giant of a backpack, which will make it ideal for day trips as well as longer travels. Toughness "on the road" has not been tested yet, but as it's a Lowepro I expect no problems there. The only drawback is the size of it's camera compartment, as it will definitly not accommodate any additional lenses. It's bigger brother, the 22L model, will probably do better in this respect, but the increased size does qualify it as a large backpack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mid sized Backpack, November 24, 2012
Found this bag perchance while looking for a mid size bag to occupy the daypack region. My Carry all is too big for hiking, etc and pretty much just carries camera gear. I have a small Domke that holds all my lenses and a few Filters, but was too small for my Cokin P setup, a flash, and the camera itself. If I needed them then it was the carry all or two smaller bags. Enter the Lowepro 16L AW.

I generally have my camera out and ready to go on a hike, so i reconfigured the camera compartment as was able to fit a Nikkor 70-300 f/3.5-4.5, a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 and an old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D pancake as well as one remote flash trigger and receiver in the compartment.

The top area was completely unused for any lenses, but fits a complete set of Grad NDs and a Cokin P Head/hood as well as an SB-700 Flash and accessories (in the pouch) as well as several screw in filters, and miscellaneous smaller items like a remote, lenspen, and rocket blower. Even with all that I still had room for my D7000 with a Nikkor 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 attached, a microfiber towel, and/or a compact rain jacket. None of this was really crammed in the bag and it does not bulge or look overfilled. Granted it took a bit of creative layout in the top compartment, but it all fit well and was not jammed in.

The camera/lens compartment is padded, removable and has a weather flap that can be closed over it and zipped up inside. The bag itself it water resistant and includes a rain cover, so all in all my gear it pretty well protected from the elements inside.

Downsides are that the removal dividers in the camera compartment aren't really well suited to true customization. there is really only a finite set of ways you can organize the inside. I might be grabbing some other dividers from some other bags to get it working better. This is not the bag you want to carry a large body in. the 22L AW is better suited for that if you want to carry more than 1 other lens. The other thing is that I haven't really found a way to attach a tripod to the bag. There are two elastic pouches on the sides for water bottles or whatever, but there is no way to really secure a tripod at the top if you use the pouches to hold a leg. Big thing for a hiker/landscape photographer. I am sure I'll figure something out with a D-ring, but a simple velcro strap at the top would have solved the whole issue.

All in all, this is my new day hiker, day at the park, commuter bag. Well made, thought out design, and not overly obnoxious as a camera bag means that it will be getting a lot of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile light Photo/Daypacker, November 6, 2012
It seems i've searched forever for the perfect bag.

Have i found it? No, but after so many years of "collecting" bags, i've come to realize there is no one perfect bag anyway. ;)

The Lowepro Hatchback (16L) is a very versatile bag that can be used to carry some limited camera equipment, along with personal items for a day hike, walking around town, on sundry excursions, etc.
As a working photojournalist, i wouldn't use it on a regular basis to WORK out of though. For that matter, i rarely use any backpack-style bag to work photo assignments. That's why i have so many bags to begin with. Just like lenses, each serves a different purpose. Most bags i work out of are small-ish shoulder-style bags that are easy to open and access, such as Domke (my favorites are the F3x and the F803).

At first, i was a bit skeptical of the back-access panel. But it's really no harder to access than the front, in fact, i do think it is slightly easier. The point is that you DO have to take it off your back though, just like any other backpack, to get inside it. Sling-bags are really not much better. None of them are really quick-draw. That's why when i am actually working, i hardly ever keep a camera inside ANY bag. They are just to hold the needed extra lenses, flash, batteries, etc. for the particular job.

That said, when you are walking/hiking, for recreation/commuting, and only need your camera occasionally, this bag does work well.

The thing i like the most about it is the SIZE.
It is NOT too small for it's purpose.
But if you want to carry every lens, camera body, and flash you own, plus the kitchen sink, then it won't work for you, and your search for the perfect bag will resume. (i have enough lenses, flashes, camera gear to put in 10 bags, but only take what i need for a given opportunity).

After one day, i've only taken one hour-long walk through the woods with it so far. It's comfortable enough. It perfectly carries my slim Thermos bottle (Thermos Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle, 18 Ounce--love this bottle) in either side mesh pocket, or my cell phone (inside a case) in the other. You could put a bottle on both sides, or a very small tripod.
The straps seem a bit hard, but maybe they will soften some with some use. They are supportive and the weight is distributed well though. Havent used the waist or sternum straps so far. I discovered that the waist straps can actually be tucked out of the way inside the little bottom pocket with the rain cover. Nothing i hate more than having all those long straps dangling everywhere in the way all the time. The sternum straps can be adjusted height-wise on a built-in bar on the shoulder straps, and they come wound up and tied with an elastic band, which is the way i've kept them.

The material is light but seems STRONG. The whole pack is pleasingly LIGHT without any gear, which is another of my main reasons for purchase; some bags are just so heavy and cumbersome to begin with...before you even load them up!

I'm really glad it has a rain cover. I like the light-colored cover with only the logo on it. It is attached to the bottom of the bag with a little strap and goes inside its own little pocket on the very bottom of the bag. It covers the bag well, but i havent tried it in the rain yet so see how well it works. Undoubtably i will at some point though, and i wanted a bag with a rain cover.

I do not especially like the Lowepro name stencil-ized down the side of the front. Not to knock the brand, i think Lowepro makes some geat products, i just don't think i should have to advertise for them. Would rather it was smaller/less obtrusive or just the logo. Plus, everyone then knows its a bag to hold expensive camera gear.
The look of the bag is otherwise nice. I got the plainer charcoal-gray so it would go with about anything and not be so noticeable. The blue looks nice, but i just don't personally like really loud bright colors for camera bags, although i suppose if you are hiking around in the middle of the woods where a lot of hunters are, the Pepper orange-red bag might be handy!

Inside the main photo section (which can be removed if you want), the bag will fit one body (without grip) with a smaller attached lens. I've fit my Nikon D300s OR D7000 body with a Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 (with hood in shooting position!)inside it, with a bit more room for a small prime such as a 50mm f/1.4 or Sigma 24mm f/1.8. Could even attach a 85mm f/1.4 (with hood reversed or off). With one body/lens combo, i can also fit my Fuji x10 inside this section and maybe a charger, extra battery or two. You can put a flash card or small battery in a elastic holder which is built-in to the flap.
You're not going to ba able to fit a larger pro body with huge pro zoom lenses in here though. But you could fit 3-4 nice primes.

The top section is quite roomy, is has two mesh pockets and a bigger zippered pocket, none padded. I can fit another body and smaller lens attached in the top pocket, or a 70-200 f/2.8 even. Keep in mind that this section is not particularly designed for photo gear, but it does work, and the padding around the other areas of the bag do provide some protection. I'll most likely use this section for various small personal items though, as intended. Phone, MP3 player, headphones, audio recorder, batteries, snacks, cap, etc. I will say that the zipper seems a bit hard to open on this top main compartment at times, wants to snag a bit as there is a built-in rain drip over the zipper. Its not a deal-breaker, but it doesnt open as smoothly as the other zippers for the tablet section or camera back section.

Being the age we are in, i now have and carry a tablet with me at times, which was another of the primary reasons i wanted/needed a new bag.
The front section of the bag is intended to hold a tablet, such as ipad. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (loaded with PhotoshopTouch), which even in a faux leather cover, fits perfectly. A bigger laptop would not fit however. There is a sleeve-pocket inside this zippered pocket, which is padded and holds the tablet perfectly. You could even put something else, such a small Kindle in this section. This works great for me, and provides easy access. Maybe its easy access for a thief as well, but i'd think you could feel the zipper opening and the device being pulled out of the sleeve, so i'm not so worried.(You could also surmise that the photo section would be impossible to steal from though). This section is a perfect fit for a tablet (10-11 inches max), is padded for protection, and the other sections serve their intended functions well too.

Overall, i am very happy with this bag. It holds what i want it to, and nothing more. The 22L version would be too cumbersome for me, and force me to carry too much, uncomfortably.

I'm sure some day i'll be looking for another bag to suit another need, but for now, this one does the job quite nicely!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a comfortable day bag, December 14, 2013
M. Lang (Dayton, OH USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've carried a Lowepro Slingshot for years. At the time, I wanted a case which would allow me to easily remove and stow my DSLR while on the go. Although a little cramped when I moved to the 7D, it worked well for short stints. For long hikes, however, the single sling was too uncomfortable, which is why I moved to the Hatchback.

The 16 L is super light and well constructed. It is also comfortable to wear, which is a huge plus. The straps allow the weight to be balanced and provides for a much more manageable experience.

The Hatchback does a good job carrying gear, but the gear is certainly not as quickly accessible as it was in the Slingshot. The comfort of the Hatchback, IMO, is a worthy trade off. My 7D body and 17-85 lens fits in the camera hold, although I need to remove the lens hood for it to happen. Any additional gear, lens, flash, etc. can fit in the top pocket. The rear "tablet" pocket is also nice to have. For a bag fairly close in size to the Slingshot, there is a lot more room.

For a day jaunt, the Hatckback works great. Part of me wishes I had opted for a larger bag, but in the end I'm glad I made the move.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent slender bag for all your equipment, July 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
top of the line brand name and a well designed back pack for all of your equipment, well designed for placement

To get to the lenses, which fills the bottom half of the bag, you unzip through the part of the bag which touches your back, thus providing security from the outside as well as extra padding. To get out the lens you need to remove the backpack and open it up from the where the bag touches your back (did I say that already?) and inside you will find four well padded generous slots for your short medium lenses surrounding one rather long lens slot.

To get to the camera cavity, you come from around the top of the bag, from the outside, unzip, and find a rather large format opening which could really fit any full sized DSLR of the professional level.

various other openings provide storage space for the other various and sundry needs that you carry, such as extra chips, lens cleaner, cell phone, etc.

very comfortable and well designed bag which should more than fill your needs for a day's shoot, or for carrying your complete kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, with a couple limitations for me…, November 7, 2013

This bag completely solves this issue: it fits great on my shoulders, has a pectoral strap, etc. and I can walk with it for miles without even noticing it's on my back.
The problem is that the camera compartment is really not that big and it can only be accessed through the back of the bag. There's not much space for me to carry accessories alongside the camera. It might be a good thing in a way since it forces me to make a choice and eventually leave with a lighter backpack, but I would have given my review another star for side-access for the camera, and another one for a slightly larger camera compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, I Love This Bag, August 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had many camera bags over the years, and my bag of choice before this bag was a Lowepro backpack too. This one is a little different because it has two compartments (but you can remove padding in the top compartment and make it one long compartment), and it has a lot of unusual features.

The first thing I thought was neat is the built in rain cover. That's already come in handy once. It also has space for a tablet (or probably a small laptop). That's pretty common with these bags. It makes it easy to travel with.

Another really neat feature, that I didn't even realize the first few times I took the bag out, is that the lower compartment is removable and can be used as a pack on its own. The lower pack is kind of awkward to carry on its own, but it makes it super easy to travel through airports with this bag.

I always get a large bag because I like to carry my 100-400mm Canon. This big actually does fit my len, plus two others (and one on the body, if you put the body in the top compartment). This is the smallest backpack type bag I've found that fits my 100-400mm. That being said, fully loaded it weighs about 5 kg. Still, worth it to fit all your gear!

I've included a photo of the bag with the 100-400mm in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunetly, I'm a little disappointed, May 6, 2014
I was really looking forward to getting this bag for an upcoming trip. It seemed like the perfect combination of camera bag and day pack. While I do like the size, and it does seem well laid out, I just can't get over how cheap it feels. The stitching looks cheap, the material feels thin and plasticy. By comparison, my Camelbak and North Face day pack feel sturdy, well made and rugged. All were around the same price ~$75 give or take. While I won't be sending it back, I wouldn't be surprised if I rip it open on a wayward branch somewhere. Luckily, Lowepro does have a lifetime warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bag, January 27, 2014
Great looking bag with awesome functionality. Would definitely recommend the larger, 22L for bigger dslr cameras as this barely fits my D800 with a lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger on the inside, November 21, 2013
Amozarte (Saint Louis - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Lowepro Photo Hatchback must have some kind of voodoo or magic working for it, because it holds a whole lot more gear inside than the outside would have you believe. The sturdy construction and thoughtful design are great examples of how Lowepro became such a big name in the camera business.

Your camera (with lens attached), a couple of spare lenses, batteries, or even a flash will all fit inside a square space at the bottom of the bag. The zipper to this pouch faces toward your back, though, which is a nice security feature to keep would-be thieves from pilfering your fancy toys while you walk around. On the outside you'll find two more zippered pouches large enough to hold an 11" MacBook Air AND an iPad- with protective case. If that's not enough for you, the top of the bag opens up to a cavernous compartment about as big as the camera space, albeit minus the protective padding. Inside you'll find a few small pockets perfect for corralling cables, memory cards, a wallet, and a cell phone. Even with all of those trinkets you'd still have room for a sandwich or other small lunch.

The shoulder straps are very well padded and latch together across the chest, and there's also a waist strap to keep the bag securely fastened to your body while trekking across the globe. The only knock I can give this bag is that the exterior pocket & strap combo meant to hold a small tripod doesn't do its job so well- my tripod never fell out completely, but I had to reposition it constantly over the course of a simple four hour hike. Still, I have a few home hacks in mind for solving that problem and it wouldn't prevent me from buying this bag again.

The bag is small enough that I don't feel like I'm carrying a gigantic hiking pack, but somehow still manages to fit everything but the kitchen sink. It's also reasonably priced and built to last. If you're in the market for a "take everything" kind of bag, this might just fit the bill.

Rate and Discover Movies