Lowepro Transit Sling Bag 250 AW (Slate Grey) - LP36576-PWW
Price:$99.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I'm writing this review because I couldn't find any precise information about the size of the bag relative to the side pocket. My scope is restricted to that aspect and nothing else, as I haven't yet had time to use it enough to form a complete opinion about it as a whole.

Before ordering this bag, I wasn't sure if my Nikon D600 would fit in the bottom compartment accessible by the side pocket. The camera is 4.4" high, whereas Lowepro's website lists the bag's internal depth at 3.9" and I couldn't tell exactly which model the Canon camera in the video was.

Luckily the D600 fits fine, even with a Joby quick-release plate attached to the bottom of the camera, and without any bulge on the outside of the bag either. The side pocket is also wide enough to pull the camera out without much trouble, though it's clear that it would be a bit smoother with a narrower APS-C body. I have it in there with a 50mm f/1/8 lens (hood attached), and there is enough room left in the bottom compartment for the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lens (hood inverted), another lens of equal size (not a huge wide-angle zoom or anything like that), and perhaps a battery charger. Of course you can fit a decent amount of other stuff (flash units, filters, batteries, etc.) in the other pockets too, but I'm just talking about the main compartment excluding the top portion.

The bag should also fit a Canon 6D, which is nearly same height and width as the D600. I think that a Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800 would also fit in the bag quite easily, but trying to smoothly pull either of those cameras out of the side pocket (the main distinguishing feature of this bag, in my opinion) would probably be an exercise in frustration unless you have rather small hands.
on June 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
I love this bag! I knew I wanted the sling, not the backpack, but I really wanted it to fit my MacBook Air 11" in the iPad pocket. There is a way.

The iPad pocket is sewed short such that it doesn't extend to the bottom of the bag, probably so your iPad doesn't sink. But I took a box cutter to the bottom of the inside pocket seam. It turns out this just leads to a cavity in the lower bag--an extension of the pocket. It doesn't cut through to any other bag compartments.

BELIEVE ME IT"S A SQUEEZE to get your 11" Air through the zipper, but it works! Now I have my DSLR, MacBook Air, and Wacom in a tiny, stylish form factor. The rest of the bag is awesome, too. Great engineering, LowePro!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm using this sling bag to house my Sony NEX-7 in the very handy left-side zippered pocket, which has ample room for a much larger camera. On the lower left as it is, it's easy to pull the bag around and zip it open to grab the camera rather than remove the whole bag. The entire back opens, of course, offering much more storage space for all of your gear. I'm able to take everything with me now - two lenses, charger, cable, flash diffuser (it's just a cut-open ping pong ball, but it's fragile), lens pen, lens caps, wipes, etc. Half of this wouldn't fit in my previous case so I always had to choose what to bring.

On the outside again, you'll find another zippered pocket on the large flap that opens the back. This isn't a large pocket but could be handy for things you need quick access to, such as a lens pen or SD cards.

The left side houses one more zippered pocket, a large home for a full-size iPad or, as one ingenious reviewer here discovered, an 11" Macbook Air if you cut the stitches at the bottom.

On the right side is a loop with a plastic clasp. I couldn't figure out what it was until I prodded around and found a small folded up bit of fabric at the bottom of this side, slipped into an upward facing pocket. It's a tripod holder, complete with "cup" to hold the feet of the tripod. Very clever.

On the bottom is a rain cover stowed in its own pocket, which I very nearly had to use the first night I used the bag.

The only negative I can find is that there is a nylon strap that can be used to secure the bag from lower right to the strap going across your chest, and I think only children or very small people could make use of this. I'm not sure why Lowepro was so stingy with the strap length, but it's far too short to be of any use to most grown men. Luckily, it too has its own little pocket to stow into.

Overall, it's extremely well thought out for the photographer with a moderate amount of equipment or one who needs a quick bag for light duty uses.
on August 13, 2013
I have a closet full of bags that I use for varying purposes. I am a certifiable bag horder. When I started carrying around my DSLR, I looked at a few of the popular bag companies and have come to the conclusion that Lowepro is the best. They put so much thought into every little detail of their bags. It has happened more than once that when I am initially checking a bag out, I wonder what a weird feature is or how something works. Once I start putting my gear into the bags, I realize that the mysterious hole is where you can hide a strap or something along those lines. It really seems like the people who design these bags spend a lot of time using them and incorporate neat little features into the bag. It's these sorts of things that make Lowepro a better bag.

This Lowepro 250 Transit series bag is one of my favorites. I didn't think that I would like it because it is a sling and I thought it would feel too heavy with only one strap, but it's very comfortable and light. The strap is heavily padded without feeling bulky. It is small and convenient for traveling or for using in the city or in a crowd. I don't feel like my bag is getting in the way. I hate when you have to take your backpack into consideration when navigating a big crowd. Even though it's so small, it can carry your DSLR and small lens along with a longer lens and flash. As all Lowepro bags are, the inside is super easy to customize to fit your equipment. I have mine set up so that when I have my smaller lens attached, it goes into the side accessible section one way, but if I have the bigger lens attached, a quick switch of the velcro dividers makes it so that I can fit the camera into the side pocket in a slightly different way. I read the little booklet attached to the bag and also watched a youtube clip on how to set the bag up so that I could get some ideas.

The outside of the bag is pretty simple. There's a clip on the outside to attach your tripod to. The pocket in the back fits an iPad. The zipper is small and I was hesitant about getting this bag because some people said it's too hard to get the iPad in and out, but this is one of those design features that you discover after using the bag for awhile. If the zipper was bigger, there is a possibility of your iPad slipping out if you forget to zip it. This small zipper section ensures that your iPad can't accidentally slip out. I appreciate that feature because in the rush for a good shot, I've been guilty of being reckless enough to leave zippers open. There are other areas of this bag that keep this in mind also. The main compartment for the camera has velcro separating the top from the bottom. I think it's there for the same reason- to protect your equipment from your own forgetfulness! There is a section on top that can carry additional accessories. There's also a very small zipper pouch in the front. I like to put my lens cover in there or my lens pen. It's pretty small and won't fit much else, but that top section has plenty of room for various extras. The main thing I love about this bag is the material. It's a super tough feeling fabric that you can tell is going to last forever.

I am so happy that I chose this bag versus getting one with two straps. It's really slick looking AND functional. Usually you have to pick one or the other. If you're on the fence about this one, I suggest getting it and using it for a couple of days. I am sure you will end up loving it.
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I shoot with a Sony Alpha SLT-A99V Full-Frame 24.3 MP SLR Digital Camera with 3-Inch LED - Body Only (Black) using a Sony 24 -70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras. The camera with lens fits in the side pocket and at the top of the bag. The only problem I have with the side pocket is that there's no room for the strap on my camera (there's nowhere to tuck it in). Because I always keep my strap on, I found this a little annoying. The camera with strap does, however, fit perfectly at the top of the bag. The negative of this is that I lose the ability to quickly slide the bag down and remove the camera. I have to take it off my back to get access.

The size of the bag seems a little small, but amazingly holds everything I need. It even supports my tripod (Dolica LX600B502DS Ultra Premium Professional 60-Inch Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Tripod (Black)) on the side perfectly (same height) as well as my monopod. I like that the bag has a water resistant covering should I get caught in heavy rain.

My iPad won't fit in the pocket when in its case (Belkin Cinema Dot Folio Case / Cover with Stand for the New Apple iPad with Retina Display (4th Generation) & iPad 3 and iPad 2 (Black/Grey)), which is a downside, but it will fit without a case even when the pack is fully loaded. Overall, I like this bag much better than the Lowepro LP36417-PWW Urban Photo Sling 150 Camera Bag (Black), which is a better fit for smaller cameras. The Lowepro LP36576-PWW is a good choice for Full Size DSLRs when you want to travel with a light/compact solution.
review image
on March 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
I absolutely love this bag. You get a lot more for what you paid for. Honestly the pictures on the manufacture website doesn't reveal on all the little extras that you get. There are a lot of more additions that surprised me as I was unzipping and checking out every little detail.

I had a Quantaray bag and it was really too big and bulky to my tastes. I wanted something more compact and nimbler to carry around without it being a hassle. Plus I wanted a sling rather than a bookbag feel.

LOWEPRO FOR LIFE!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
I had a smaller Lowepro bag and bought this one so I could carry my iPad too. It's also very comfortable to carry! Highly recommend.
on February 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
So while looking for a small-medium bag I came across the Vanguard up Rise II series (34/43) and the LowePro Transit Sling 250AW. Both where about the same size and had the side compartment and could hold additional lenses and a flash. The price was around the same as well. What sold me on the Lowe Pro was the fact that it could hold a 10" tablet and a tripod.

Choosing a camera bag is like choosing a pair of shoes. You’ll try quite a few on before you find one that fits and you like. I have researched many bags before choosing the Transit Sling. I made the mistake of purchasing a Kata bumblebee ul 222 which is the nicest camera bag I have ever seen, but it’s the size of a baby elephant. While this is great for taking everything you own to a big shoot or on a safari, it was way too big for day to day photography.

Now for the review.

The bag is well made and the straps and zippers appear very durable. It's comfortable and doesn't hurt my shoulders or chaff my neck. It has a cross strap, but I don't use those.

All the zippers (except the tablet compartment) have a string pull which looks like they can be replaced. The main strap is padded and has the breathable mesh. It is adjustable and has place to clip accessories on. It also has a clip that connects to cross strap. The strap itself feels durable but I can't tell if it’s double sewn. On the top of the bag is a handle, but it looks somewhat flimsy. I guess it could support the weight of the bag when full.

The back of the bag is padded very nicely and is breathable. The right side has the strap for the tripod. You have to pull the foot out from behind a flap to use the tripod holder.

The left side has the quick access section. It can fit my canon 70d with an 18-55 lens with the straps. No way a battery grip or a quick release plate will fit. Getting a 70d out is not the easiest thing to do. But if you have small fingers it will be a breeze. Me personally, I feel that the opening could be 1/2" larger all around.

The front of the bag has a small compartment with a curved zipper opening. Useful for small, flat nit knacks. The compartment could be more useful if the opening was larger.

You open the main zipper to access the main compartment. It’s broken down into a top compartment and a camera compartment. The flap has a small zippered compartment that can fit keys, change, etc. It's too small for a wallet, but id and credit cards could fit. The top compartment is roomy and can hold personal items or camera accessories. If you wanted to, a 70-200mm lens could fit in here, but not much else. This compartment also has an elastic mesh pocket to hold things as well.

The camera section holds your camera with lens. 1-2 extra lenses, a flash and other accessories. I'm going to be honest...with an 18-55mm lens on, this section can only hold 1 more lens and 1 small flash. To be able to hold a flash, you have to remove two dividers. But I could just as easily put the flash in the top compartment. You can also convert the main compartment to hold a camera with a 70-200mm lens by folding the divider with the red flap down and putting the divider with the cutout beneath. In this configuration, the body rests in the top compartment with the lens protruding into the lower compartment. To fold this flap down you have to remove the divider with the cutout first, then put it back when the divider with the red flap is folded down. It's also a lot easier to remove the other dividers. You can fit the body with a 70-200mm lens and 1 flash (or 2 lenses.). It fits with a ring mount, but if you are using a lens hood, you will have to reverse it. And of course you do lose the quick access.

There is a zipper on the top left for the 10" tablet. The zipper opens in a curve so it cannot fit an iPad 3/4 with a case. Out of the case they can fit just fine. Lowepro should have made the zipper open up further on the top or on the side. This is really my only issue with the bag.

There is also a rain cover on the bottom of the bag to keep the bag and its contents dry during wet conditions.

All in all this is one of the best small/mid sling bags on the market. It's stylish, comfortable, configurable, and light and holds just what you did to take beautiful pictures.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have wanted a sling back for about two years now. Although I have a bag that perfectly and snuggly fits my Canon Rebel with the kit lens, I sometimes prefer to carry multiple lenses, or to use my camera backpack to store all incidentals such as a wallet and glasses, etc.

This bag is this bag. It's sturdy, durable, lightweight, comfortable to sling around, doesn't get dirty easily. I can't sing its praises enough. I like it more than a camera backpack because of its spacious dividers, but not as large of a volume of the bag itself.

In lieu of sounding like a fangirl, I really love this bag!
on March 24, 2015
Verified Purchase
I've been looking nearly forever for a bag that could serve me as a daily driver for my Nikon d3300 and I'm glad to say, I've found it, this is the perfect bag.

The Lowepro 250 AW is compact enough to easily bring around in travel and hit a nice equilibrium in terms of looks and functionality.

(This is a rather lengthy review of the Lowepro Transit Sling Bag 250 AW. If you do plan to read this in full, please take a step back and grab a cup of tea or coffee as you slowly read through the review. Thank you!)

---

- Reasoning behind purchase -

My main objective was to find a camera bag that would serve also as a mini carrying bag for important stuff such as passports, phone, battery bank, etc but nothing too big so that it will end up being a nuisance in fast travel.

I was originally extremely skeptical about the size of the bag. In the photos shown upfront, it looks a bit too big and this was fine with me as I have a rather large body figure but when it finally arrived, I was actually very surprised that the bag was actually quite small. I would say it is slightly under double the size of the square camera bags normally provided and/or sold by camera manufacturers.

To those asking, why not a backpack or *any other bag*? Well, I'm sure you're looking at the Lowepro 250 AW mainly because it's a sling bag with easy access to your gear and this was the same reason for myself as well. I heavily dislike the standard square sling camera bags and while there were other options, they were either simply too bulky, too small, or looked ugly in general. In the end though, convenience was a very large factor in this decision and a backpack is simply not a very convenient solution.

---

Pros:
1) Small
2) Can fit most gear easily
3) Has many side pockets for other things

Cons:
1) Small
2) Can't fit large gear easily
3) Many side pockets can only fit limited things (I'll explain this in the end)

So the pros and cons are the same things but would differ depending on the user's needs. It just so happened that it fit my needs perfectly so it leans towards the pros side but to some other people that carry large equipment, this might not be what they are looking for.

--- ---

The good:

To my situation though, this bag seemed to strike a perfect balance between just being compact enough to be easily brought around but at the same time, big enough to fit all my equipment. To those who are curious, this is what I normally bring as follows:

1 x D3300 Body (Normally attached with a 55-300mm lens)
1 x 55-300mm lens
1 x 18-55mm lens
1 x wall battery charger
1 x travelling wall adapter
3 x lens caps
1 x extra battery
1 x notebook
1 x book (if possible)

I was rather amazed that this actually all fit with a bit of room to spare. While I would have loved a bit more room on the upper section of the bag where I can store things such as say my passport or other small belongings, this should do good enough of a job for any other user.

Since I don't carry a tablet with me, I was pleasantly surprised that I could, not only fit a notebook, but also a book into the back section for the tablet! While the book and the notebook aren't very large, this was a nice serendipitous find since I was never expecting them to fit in the first place. (On a side note: It is actually a really tight fit so your mileage may vary depending on the thickness of your books)

The front zipper is not very large but was very useful as a quick access pocket for things such as an extra camera battery or even say a storage spot for keys or cash. Sadly, since this is kind of a tight squeeze, don't expect much to fit in there.

The quick access zipper on the side of the bag is a complete godsend and I have been using it non-stop. The convenience of this quick access method is simply amazing and I wouldn't need to go through a lot of movement to be shooting photos in no time compared to say other bags wherein you would need to either put down the bag or open the entire thing to get the camera out. A big no-no when moving around very quickly in travel.

Since I don't normally go out during rainy days to take photos nor do I take a tripod with me, I found no reason to use the raincover or the tripod loops but it is a nice addition to the total set of the bag which could potentially be a big plus to potential users.

Last but not least, the dividers meant for your gear is detachable thanks to the velcro. Due to my configuration, I have found out I didn't need 2 of the removable velcro dividers provided by Lowepro. This actually provided me with ample spacing and lot of breathing room for my gear without everything being too cramped which in my book, would be considered a plus as well.

The bad (maybe?):

To start off, I noticed that the slot that the DSLR (with lens attached) slot was rather large. This actually made my D3300 move quite a bit if I don't use my camera strap to fill in the remaining empty space on the other side of the bag. This problem though is a very unique one to myself and should not actually be counted towards the determent of the bag.

Another problem I encountered was that I could not keep my DSLR (with 18-55mm lens on) in the slot without actually moving my larger lens into the compartment at the top of the bag. The reason behind this is due to the fact that the clearance of my 55-300mm lens is too large so the bag will not close if you have the lens in a standing configuration as shown on the product page of the Lowepro 250 AW. (As shown in attached photos)

While one could argue that I could have the DSLR (with 55-300mm lens on) standing on the same length as the bag (as shown in the picture on the product page), this would actually defeat the purpose of me buying this bag so that I can carry around my camera gear + some small other unrelated things, such as maybe a passport, phone, or even a wallet.

But as mentioned earlier, this is all problems that are rather unique to myself and might not be with other users and should not be considered a bad thing for the bag.