5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Bag I'd Buy Again
I looked and researched so many camera bags for my Nikon D5100 before finally choosing this one. I'm a newbie to SLR photography, so I haven't had a ton of experience with camera bags. I am female though, so I've had a ton of experience shopping for handbags. That sort of counts, right?

A BAG TO GROW INTO: At any rate, I wanted my first bag to be fairly...
Published 19 months ago by Cassandra Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not the old Lowepro quality
Published on July 13, 2010 by Tech Reviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Bag I'd Buy Again, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)

A BAG TO GROW INTO: At any rate, I wanted my first bag to be fairly "comprehensive." I wanted it to be big enough to fit my current gear (Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX) AND future gear (Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash and Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens.) So I wanted a bag that would carry the camera, 3 lenses and a flash plus all the other accessories like spare batteries, etc.

POUCHES!!: There are two memory card pouches on the interior of the lid as well as a larger zippered compartment where you could store flat things like lens caps. There's also a front zippered pouch (bottom half) to stuff with other things like cleaning accessories, cables, etc. The front of this pouch will feel "poofy," because that's where the All Weather Cover is stored - access that from another zipper along the bottom edge of the pouch. There is another front zippered compartment (top half on the flap) that would be suitable for less bulky items. The pouches on each side are also made of a somewhat stretchier mesh material with some elastic banding along the top to keep things from falling out. The zippered compartment on the back is really more suitable for papers or anything thin. Overall most of these pouches don't really expand a whole lot, so don't really expect to be stuffing anything super bulky in them. The side pouches will hold bottles of water though.

ZIPPERS & TOP COVER: I also wanted a bag that was secured with zippers (YKK), so that nothing falls out. I especially like how the top is designed with the flaps that hang over the top edge as well - kind of like how the top of a shoe box fits over the bottom half. The design (along with the All Weather Cover) reduces the chances of water or debris entering the bag. There is also a plastic buckle that secures each half of the bag. Of course this does make it more time-consuming to get into the bag, but that was not a concern for me with this bag. ***I do wish the top cover opened the opposite way - away from the body instead of toward. That would make it slightly easier to access the interior while wearing the bag, although you can just wear it with the front facing towards you.

QUALITY: The bag is sturdy nylon with strong stitching. Its not double-stitched all around but at the key points of weakness (top handle, side clips for the shoulder strap, etc.) The padding seems adequate. The interior divider padding is about 1/4" thick and the exterior padding is about 1/2" thick. The interior is also lined in a light grey that makes it easier to find things within the bag. The Velcro has a strong "stick" and there's enough of it for greater flexibility in configuring it. I wanted a quality bag, and I'm not disappointed. ***I do wish that the bottom of the bag had the water-proof EVA base like the Case Logic SLR bags have for extra protection.

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: The bag is fairly boxy and bulky. This is definitely not a small bag, and I thought it might be a bit uncomfortable to wear, but its actually pretty comfortable even when loaded due to the nice wide strap (1.5") and shoulder pad with the non-slip backing. The shoulder strap extends up to 55" which gives about a 27.5" shoulder drop which is pretty substantial. If you prefer the top handle, its thick and cushy with a comfortably soft fabric on the underside. There's also a flap on the backside of the bag for sliding onto extended luggage handles for easier transport. Sweet!

OVERALL: I really love this bag. Its got a few features that might not make it super-easily accessible, but I wanted more of a "tanky and secure" nylon bag which could carry most of my gear comfortably. I didn't really buy this bag for "out-on-the-town-and-shooting" - I bought the Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag-Mica for that. This bag though is great for when you want to bring more of your arsenal with you and keep said arsenal protected. I do really wish it had the EVA-clad base and the top flap opening away from the wearer, but we can always hope for the future. Sorry for the mini-novel, but I hope this helps some prospective buyer out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars 180 AW Camera Bag, April 29, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
Before selecting this bag, I did several days of research of alternatives. This bag was a perfect match for my Olympus 500 DSLR, two lenses, flash attachment, spare batteries, and a number of accessories. The rain cover was a key decision-maker for the Lowe brand. Of special note is the number of external pouches to hold spare memory cards and flash batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too big, not too small., January 30, 2013
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
I also own the Nova 170 AW and Nova 200 AW, also great bags. I needed a bag that would hold my Nikon D7000 with 28-300 lens attached, SB700 flash and Sony Handycam. The Nova 170 just wasn't big enough, but the 180 is perfect. Nice quality with the metal rings and strap clasps. (Just like the Nova 200AW) The 170 has plastic hardware but is a smaller lighter bag. I need bags of various sizes depending on what equipment that I want to take along. Without the Sony Handycam, the 170 is just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! Only two things missing., May 6, 2012
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
Great product! I Already had a Lowepro (top loader zoom), but with vertical grip my camera didn't fit anymore, at first the bag seems a little too compact, but actually works great.
I have a Canon 60D with 18-135 lens attached, facing lens down in the bag. Vertical grip attached too. The charger in there, a sun cap and a bunch of small accessories. There is still room for the flash and two lenses that will come at some point.

The two things I think are missing are a hard plastic bottom (it is probably fine, but doesn't make me entirely comfortable with my lens facing down), and even though there are plenty of inside dividers, I thing there are two sideway shapes missing, as well as Velcro on the side of a couple of the big ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect camera bag for the Nikon d7000, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
We'll made ,great price and plenty of room
Perfect for my needs
Love the waterproof cover and filter holder .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera Bag, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
The quality of this bag is wonderful. It is a great bag to take for a photo shoot if you know what kind of lenses you will need. However, if you are going to need more than 2 lenses, you would be better off with a larger bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I want, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
The size of bag is just I want. I use it to put two cameras, one is Nikon D300+28-300mm zoom and another one is Nikon D800+16-35mm zoom. Both fit well. It can also be put into a regular back pac during travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Lowepro bag for my new Nikon D5100, February 3, 2012
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
It took me a great deal of research to determine which camera bag would fulfill my needs. I am a neophyte in the DSLR with a new camera for Christmas. Prior to this I have been a point-and-shoot guy Nikon Coolpix 7900. Got on the Lowepro website and used their bag suggestion search option. Then back to Amazon armed with the information I needed. The bag appears to be well made and I look forward to adding a few accessories to fill it up properly. The padding seems sufficient and flexibility within the main compartment. The water resistant cover and band across the back to fit on drag around suitcase are great extras.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not the old Lowepro quality, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
After many years of simply finding the Lowepro case that was the right size and just ordering it, and relying on Lowepro quality, what a surprise when I received this case. It is very much noticeably lighter and flimsier than any other Lowepro case I ever had, and the quality of the outer material seems much cheaper and thinner. The overall padding is also much less than before. It is as if Lowepro finally gave into the "skimp on the product and rely on the reputation and let the customer suffer" philosophy. I think that most of the other reviewers of this product weren't used to the old Lowepro bags. If you would like something even sturdier than the OLD Lowepro bags (and less expensive!) I would suggest going with one of the Ape Case pro series cases, of which I have two, and am more than pleased with, for instance:Ape Case Pro Medium SLR/Video Camera Case ACPRO1200 And, no, I am not an Ape Case employee, just someone who wants to protect my cameras.
Update, Aug. 8, '10. After going on a hiking trip, I did appreciate the lightness and it is very waterproof. And since I often just leave my camera on my tripod and carry it over my shoulder, it was a situation that didn't require so much protection. So if you are planning on hiking this may be helpful, just have the Ape Case at home for the rest of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Lowepro Nova 180 AW Camera Bag - Black (Electronics)
Bag doesn't look too big but you can fit a lot of gear in there. Holds crop sensor body, flash, two lenses and accessories like chargers for flash and body batteries, memory cards etc.
Rain cover is nice but I never really used it so far.not sure if it will protect if it rains. I guess you need to carry plastic bag with you to be safe.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›